UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

Just read this on an article about cable channel changes in 2017:

"Cartoon Network’s 2-11 viewership dropped 15% in the first quarter of 2017 compared to the same period last year."

Ouch. I can totally see that reflected in the ratings. I assumed it was simply because the ratings-grabber Family Guy no longer heads the block, but now I'm starting to think it's a bigger reason, since I guess it's happening to all of CN's shows.  R people really using online services more than in 2016??

From Programming Insider

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/saturday-final-nationals-espn-nba-playoff-doubleheader-jumps-nearly-40-percent-year-ago-levels/

AS down 25 percent in total viewership from one year ago

Down 20 percent in 18-49

This has been a trend for awhile. In the fall it was more like 15 percent down.

The pie is getting smaller. Toonami is hanging in there all things considered. I just hope it doesn't become a casualty in a desperate attempt to get the numbers back up if things continue to decline. But to expect 2015 numbers at this point is unrealistic. There are of course missteps the block may have taken to contribute. But this is probably about 75 percent of the problem. A show that used to do a million in totals may now only do 750-800k

The good news is that AS has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to streaming and we may soon see a way to just subscribe to them directly via the internet. That opens up all kinds of possibilities to reach an audience who has abandoned TV. Of course this won't factor into Nielsen but it would become part of the "numbers we don't see" and help them make money and sell advertising in a different way.  I can totally see them doing something like this in the future!

I have friends who upon moving out never bothered to get a TV in their apartment because they watch everything on their tablet.

It's the way things are.

I have friends who upon moving out never bothered to get a TV in their apartment because they watch everything on their tablet.

It's the way things are.

Doesn't mean they can't watch CARTOON NETWORK on their tablet!

From Programming Insider

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/saturday-final-nationals-espn-nba-playoff-doubleheader-jumps-nearly-40-percent-year-ago-levels/

AS down 25 percent in total viewership from one year ago

Down 20 percent in 18-49

This has been a trend for awhile. In the fall it was more like 15 percent down.

The pie is getting smaller. Toonami is hanging in there all things considered. I just hope it doesn't become a casualty in a desperate attempt to get the numbers back up if things continue to decline. But to expect 2015 numbers at this point is unrealistic. There are of course missteps the block may have taken to contribute. But this is probably about 75 percent of the problem. A show that used to do a million in totals may now only do 750-800k

The good news is that AS has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to streaming and we may soon see a way to just subscribe to them directly via the internet. That opens up all kinds of possibilities to reach an audience who has abandoned TV. Of course this won't factor into Nielsen but it would become part of the "numbers we don't see" and help them make money and sell advertising in a different way.  I can totally see them doing something like this in the future!

So what changed so suddenly?

So what changed so suddenly?

Cartoon network Sold their last anime to Disney and won't stop showing Teen Titans Go! so their adult viewership is dwindling, whether AS is treated as a separate network or not CN's ratings impact theirs, and if CN scares adult viewers away Adult viewers don't watch AS

Compare the value of Netflix to all non-sports cable programming, to the HBO's of the world, etc.  Cable TV is getting its ass handed to it.  Why do you think I'm on about the app every few weeks?

More people I know are stealing TV by using hacked Firesticks. I don't know how it works but we know several families that do this and watch everything on demand. Less and less people are paying for cable. If you think AS has it bad, look at MTV. There are freaking losing their minds at viewer erosion and besides staples like Teen Mom and The Challenge, they cannot get an original series to work. They mostly rely on reruns of Friends to bolster there prime time lineup. The younger demo (the newest generation at least) has never even looked at the channel in favor of YouTube

Compare the value of Netflix to all non-sports cable programming, to the HBO's of the world, etc.  Cable TV is getting its ass handed to it.  Why do you think I'm on about the app every few weeks?

Jman is 100% on this. They need to find a way to market that app to people who don't have cable and get it on Roku and AppleTV

Cartoon network Sold their last anime to Disney and won't stop showing Teen Titans Go! so their adult viewership is dwindling, whether AS is treated as a separate network or not CN's ratings impact theirs, and if CN scares adult viewers away Adult viewers don't watch AS

All of CNs shows are designed for the tablet generation. All kids now are using their tablets while watching TV if they have the TV on at all. That's why the shows are short and mostly comedic without much continuity.

If ratings are down across the board then as long as Toonami ratings aren't down more than the average drop, I think it will be fine.  Or at least that's the way I see it.

It doesn't appear that Family Guy can be counted on to bring viewers to Adult Swim anymore, or at least in the numbers that it used to.  Kind of the end of an era, if you really think about it.

If ratings are down across the board then as long as Toonami ratings aren't down more than the average drop, I think it will be fine.  Or at least that's the way I see it.

It doesn't appear that Family Guy can be counted on to bring viewers to Adult Swim anymore, or at least in the numbers that it used to.  Kind of the end of an era, if you really think about it.

At least it won't be relied upon as a crutch. Could open the door for more experimentation with the schedule. I don't think we're at that point yet, but soon.

All of CNs shows are designed for the tablet generation. All kids now are using their tablets while watching TV if they have the TV on at all. That's why the shows are short and mostly comedic without much continuity.

.... so what our block is on now.... is a tablet's annoying fanboy trying to be like him?

... Cartoon Network no longer thinks anime is a ratings grabber?

Jman is 100% on this. They need to find a way to market that app to people who don't have cable and get it on Roku and AppleTV

It's bad when you live-tweet and find that many fan who usually follow Toonami are now tweeting sports broadcasts.  And this happens more and more every week!  I almost want to shout "DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT'S ON RIGHT NOW!?!"

I think he meant if all of AS is down 20% and Toonami is also down 20% then we're OK. But if Toonami is down more than that then it's more of a reflection on the block than just cable being down.

Bingo.  It's unreasonable to assume Toonami is at fault for low ratings if their viewership is down by the same amount as the rest of the network.  That just reflects less people watching TV in general.  If the viewership is lower for Toonami than the network as a whole, however, that indicates that less people are watching Toonami that can be explained but just a general viewership decrease.

Or at least that's how I understand it.  I'm admittedly not a ratings expert, but this seems to make sense.

Bingo.  It's unreasonable to assume Toonami is at fault for low ratings if their viewership is down by the same amount as the rest of the network.  That just reflects less people watching TV in general.  If the viewership is lower for Toonami than the network as a whole, however, that indicates that less people are watching Toonami that can be explained but just a general viewership decrease.

Or at least that's how I understand it.  I'm admittedly not a ratings expert, but this seems to make sense.

You could feasibly multiply the current rating by 1.20 (or whatever percent it's down)or something to get the "equivalent " rating at higher overall network viewership and compare to last year to see if we.'re in the same ball park. There's also other factors like FG not airing in the 11:00 hour, Super having 2 showings with 11:30 being the rerun ect, but the multiplication factor gives you an idea how much things have fallen just from cable viewership decline.

Ex: AOT      827,000 x 1.25= 1,032,500 at 2016 levels,  1,083,370 at 2015 levels (6 more percent)

18-49            523,000 x 1.20= 627,000 at 2016 levels.      679,900 at 2015 levels (10 more percent)

(AS is down 25 percent in totals and 20 percent  in 18-49 from a year ago. 2016 was down 6 percent in totals and 10 percent in 18-49 from 2015 prior to 2015 there was more of an upward trend in viewership)

)

AOT is also the 4th show in the lineup at 12:30 even though 12:30 would have been the 2nd show last year so that could also play a part. It might even be more fair to compare the 12:30 show this year to the 1:30 show last year as the blocks ratings tend to shift back along with the time slots

Well...

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-29-2017.html

Final-Cable-2017-Apr-29.SAT_.png

4/29/2017 Dragon Ball Super (8 PM) - #7 (+4)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.43

Estimated 18-34 - 292,000 ( 31.95% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.36

Estimated 18-49 - 462,000 ( 50.55% )

Total Viewers - 914,000

4/29/2017 Samurai Jack - #1 (+5)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.73

Estimated 18-34 - 496,000 ( 38.10% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.64

Estimated 18-49 - 820,000 ( 62.98% )

Total Viewers - 1,302,000

4/29/2017 DBZ Kai: Final Chapters - #4 (+3)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.59

Estimated 18-34 - 401,000 ( 40.26% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.48

Estimated 18-49 - 615,000 ( 61.75% )

Total Viewers - 996,000

4/29/2017 Attack On Titan - #6 (+4)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.42

Estimated 18-34 - 285,000 ( 35.27% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.37

Estimated 18-49 - 474,000 ( 58.66% )

Total Viewers - 808,000

4/29/2017 Tokyo Ghoul - #13 (STEADY)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.4 .

Estimated 18-34 - 272,000 ( 37.83% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.34

Estimated 18-49 - 436,000 ( 60.64% )

Total Viewers - 719,000

4/29/2017 Gundam Unicorn - #20 (+4)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.32

Estimated 18-34 - 217,000 ( 37.74% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.26

Estimated 18-49 - 333,000 ( 57.91% )

Total Viewers - 575,000

Just looking at these numbers and not even the shows, I would argue with you if you told me Attack on Titan is back, as it just keeps plodding along doing JoJo-like numbers, complete with an embarrassingly-low estimated 285K in 18-34s. Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Samurai Jack might have triumphantly claimed the #1 slot along with his sword but even HE was down this week, possibly not even cracking 500K in 18-34s. And this is all against almost NO competition to speak of. Millenials don't care about political theater, so the WHCD, which got beat even by Gundam Unicorn, CAN'T be the culprit--so what IS? I guess it was just a good night to go out and party instead?

Even so, I believe that Toonami's target demographic may actually be Males 12-34, and that's evident in the fact that it absolutely KILLED it in those demographics. Even the lowly Gundam Unicorn at 2 AM still managed a 0.53, beating everything outside Toonami except the NFL Draft. But the ultimate victory is that the Draft had to settle for the #2 slot, beaten by Toonami's top show!

What will the schedule be like in June? Will AOT finally get its time to shine and replace Jack at 11 PM? Or will we simply lose 11 PM back to [as] and Family Guy?

Having Samantha Bee do solid numbers in the hour before Toonami might have cannibalized it a little. And she probably made a few hypocritical jokes, but the populace enjoyed him. Aside from not wanting her kids to attend a desegregated school district, I can only wonder what other personal demons were on the table.

Other than that, Toei ruins everything. And/or it was a down night in general. But summer vacation is coming up fast, so here's hoping for a bounce.

I swear I spend every Tuesday morning in a state of depression!  LOL

These aren't horrible ratings, but considering what we have on the lineup, it should be doing a little better than this.

8pm Super is continuing to siphon viewers away from 11:30. How much, I don't know, but we can't ignore the fact that 11:30 is a rerun that is put in the middle of the block. I think we need both the 8pm airing and Kai to beat it  in key demos before they'll do anything about the situation though.

Aot will probably continue to do about this at 12:30 behind the Dragonball shows. I feel bad for the Toonami guys because they really went all out for us to get this on so quick and they deserve a better showing for their efforts. Maybe the combination of the timeslot, the long gap between seasons, and people just watching the sub is playing into this as well.

I wonder if this will affect the type of shows that Toonami picks up in the future? It was probably very expensive to get AoT as a dub premiere exclusive. That along with picking up Super, Toonami has probably spent more money this year than ever before and it isn't paying off as well as they probably hoped it will.

Even so, I believe that Toonami's target demographic may actually be Males 12-34, and that's evident in the fact that it absolutely KILLED it in those demographics. Even the lowly Gundam Unicorn at 2 AM still managed a 0.53, beating everything outside Toonami except the NFL Draft. But the ultimate victory is that the Draft had to settle for the #2 slot, beaten by Toonami's top show!

What will the schedule be like in June? Will AOT finally get its time to shine and replace Jack at 11 PM? Or will we simply lose 11 PM back to [as] and Family Guy?

This is something I keep forgetting. As long as they can go to their advertisers and brag about how well Toonami is doing to that demo, its a win. If you look at the commercials aired during Toonami, mostly fast food, video games, cars, and shaving products, it's no secret who they are targeting.  They probablky don't specifically say they want the under 18 crowd,but they do hold SOME value as future AS viewers. Hell, they used to brag about doing well in that same demo back when FMA was airing.

I don't think we keep 11:30 in June. Unfortunately, they probably haven't been encouraged by Titans performance to justify taking a chance on 11. The good news is that there may be better viewer retention between Family Guy and Super. For whatever reason, the type of audience that liked Jack are not sticking around for Super, but for some reason, Family Guy viewers dig it more. Still Super being a rerun from only a few hours earlier is still becoming more and more of an issue.

This is something I keep forgetting. As long as they can go to their advertisers and brag about how well Toonami is doing to that demo, its a win. If you look at the commercials aired during Toonami, mostly fast food, video games, cars, and shaving products, it's no secret who they are targeting.  They probablky don't specifically say they want the under 18 crowd,but they do hold SOME value as future AS viewers. Hell, they used to brag about doing well in that same demo back when FMA was airing.

I don't think we keep 11:30 in June. Unfortunately, they probably haven't been encouraged by Titans performance to justify taking a chance on 11. The good news is that there may be better viewer retention between Family Guy and Super. For whatever reason, the type of audience that liked Jack are not sticking around for Super, but for some reason, Family Guy viewers dig it more. Still Super being a rerun from only a few hours earlier is still becoming more and more of an issue.

You're right. And flashing back just one week illustrates why that might not even be a big deal when there are major sporting events the same night:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-22-2017.html

MALES 12-34 22-Apr 29-Apr

08:00 PM DBS 0.53     0.59

11:00 PM SMJ 0.95     0.90

12:00 AM DBK 0.84 0.83

12:30 AM AOT 0.66 0.61

01:00 AM TKG 0.52       0.58

02:00 AM MGU 0.38  0.53

Kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes, as with Jack-AOT, the night with more sports was higher, but with 8 PM Super, Ghoul, and Gundam the night with fewer sports was higher!

Another disappointing week for Titan. Jack is doing excellent but everything else feels like it is falling apart.

There just doesn't seem to be a way to recover from DBS dropping so hard after Jack. What a pity.

Female viewers have never been AS 'a strong suit, but I wonder if the great numbers we were getting in 2015 were attributed to shows like Kill la Kill, SaO2, MH, and AGK which had plenty of kick ass female heros and thus were more appealing across gender lines.

Another disappointing week for Titan. Jack is doing excellent but everything else feels like it is falling apart.

There just doesn't seem to be a way to recover from DBS dropping so hard after Jack. What a pity.

Its unfortunate what happened to One Piece because it doesn't seem like the block is doing any better without it in the back end. More and more I believe cost played more of a factor in that shows fate.

AoT: ..... FFFFFFFFFUCK. Welp.  Look forward to the show moving down at least 1 timeslot, because goddamnit to hell, it seems not everyone likes this show as much as we expected them to!

Super: This is the 8 PM showing?  I wish they wouldn't just skip over the rerun in the block.  Granted, we're in filler, and many people must've heard it was before the broadcast and just skipped it.

Jack: Continues to gather the ratings I EXPECT the rest of the block to have.

AoT: ..... FFFFFFFFFUCK. Welp.  Look forward to the show moving down at least 1 timeslot, because goddamnit to hell, it seems not everyone likes this show as much as we expected them to!

Super: This is the 8 PM showing?  I wish they wouldn't just skip over the rerun in the block.  Granted, we're in filler, and many people must've heard it was before the broadcast and just skipped it.

Jack: Continues to gather the ratings I EXPECT the rest of the block to have.

I don't think AOT will move down a timeslot, because just what in the hell could replace it? I think IF AOT doesn't move up to 11 PM instead to replace Samurai Jack, then most likely it's Tokyo Ghoul that will take the fall to 2 AM since its ratings have been just as trashy as it is (not even breaking 900K at 1 AM!? What the hell!?) when Root A begins. Or, maybe it will even take a break between the first season and Root A? Dumping Gundam IBO S2 at 2 AM when it's a dub premiere would be stupid, and even though AOT hasn't exactly had the most auspicious beginning, it IS a broadcast dub so I think it will not fall below 12:30. I think this is what we're likely gonna see come the end of Gundam Unicorn on June 10th (assuming some sort of marathon on May 27th):

12:30 Attack on Titan Season 2 #7

1 AM Tokyo Ghoul #11

1:30 Tokyo Ghoul #12

2 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn #22

And then on June 17th,

12:30 Attack on Titan Season 2 #8

1 AM Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans #26

1:30 Hunter x Hunter (returning from a brief 1-week hiatus)

2 AM Tokyo Ghoul Root A #1

Only problem is that Hunter x Hunter would release one new episode every TWO weeks for a WHOLE FREAKING MONTH (May 20, June 3, June 17) before returning to regular once-a-week release.

I really hope this doesn't happen. I really hope, despite a lackluster beginning, Attack on Titan gets boosted somehow to 11 PM, which would free up 12:30 for IBO beginning June 3rd and also leave a timeslot for SOMETHING to premiere on June 17th at 2 AM!

In other news, well this is disappointing:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/saturday-cable-ratings-april-29-2017/

Bee got the feature instead of Jack.

Toonami keeping 11:00 isn't going to happen, at least not with the state the block is in right now.  They might give Toonami another slot on the back end in order to keep the block the same length, but once Jack ends, I have no doubt that the next Toonami will begin at 11:30.

Something needs to be done with Dragon Ball Super.  We either need to get a premiere at 11:30 or we need to move the rerun to later on Toonami.  Jack to Super just isn't clicking very well, and the rest of the block is suffering for it.

Also #FuckToei

Toonami keeping 11:00 isn't going to happen, at least not with the state the block is in right now.  They might give Toonami another slot on the back end in order to keep the block the same length, but once Jack ends, I have no doubt that the next Toonami will begin at 11:30.

Something needs to be done with Dragon Ball Super.  We either need to get a premiere at 11:30 or we need to move the rerun to later on Toonami.  Jack to Super just isn't clicking very well, and the rest of the block is suffering for it.

Also #FuckToei

Put Super on another night if it must premere at 8.  It may even work out for the better. Like I said before , once TOEI realizes this show isn't a toy commercial in the US, they may work out a better deal

I will indeed be pleasantly surprised if that 11 PM timeslot stays with Toonami after Jack ends. You're right: it's probably (like a 90% certainty) not going to happen, and we will once again have Dragon Ball Super starting off the block at 11:30, while Attack on Titan languishes at 12:30 behind the sagging weight of the Dragon Ball Shit Hour. Hopefully they'll at least do the right thing and lead-in to it with Family Guy; using 11 PM to give a 3-peat to something like Rick & Morty would be purely asinine!!

I think most likely, we'll see the last 11-3:30 Toonami on 5/20, then a special 11-4 Toonami on Memorial Day which is a marathon of all 10 episodes of Samurai Jack Season 5, and then on 6/3 Toonami's new runtime will be 11:30-4 with Jack reruns at 3, GITS at 3:30.

I will indeed be pleasantly surprised if that 11 PM timeslot stays with Toonami after Jack ends. You're right: it's probably (like a 90% certainty) not going to happen, and we will once again have Dragon Ball Super starting off the block at 11:30, while Attack on Titan languishes at 12:30 behind the sagging weight of the Dragon Ball Shit Hour. Hopefully they'll at least do the right thing and lead-in to it with Family Guy; using 11 PM to give a 3-peat to something like Rick & Morty would be purely asinine!!

Peter Griffin is the hero Toonami needs right now.

Put Super on another night if it must premere at 8.  It may even work out for the better. Like I said before , once TOEI realizes this show isn't a toy commercial in the US, they may work out a better deal

Sunday at 8 behind the Venture Brothers at 8:30 might be an interesting combo!

Bee got the feature instead of Jack.

Of COURSE she did. WHCD is  a once-every-four-year thing and this particular one is special because Trump decided to skip it due his utter hatred of anything the presidency has stood for up to now! And the Not!WHCD was advertised for weeks! 

I never wanted Jack to get another season as much as I do now.  :'(

Well, here's the 12-3:30 retention, as SBD has updated to include everything but Dragon Ball Super:

12:00 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 996,000

12:30 AM Attack on Titan Season 2 808,000 (81.12%)

1:00 AM Tokyo Ghoul 719,000 (88.99%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 656,000 (91.24%)

2:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 575,000 (87.65%)

2:30 AM Naruto: Shippuden 560,000 (97.39%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 532,000 (95.00%)

Attack on Titan sadly has only itself to blame once again. Yeah, it's most likely going to stay at 12:30 AM, sadly. Also I must question WHY AOT doesn't get its topical immediately after it ends, but instead during another Toonami show?

It's official: The Gundam/Shippuden hour did worse in total viewers in April (560K) vs. Hellsing Ultimate in October/November 2014 (597K). Let that sink in.

It's official: The Gundam/Shippuden hour did worse in total viewers in April (560K) vs. Hellsing Ultimate in October/November 2014 (597K). Let that sink in.

I'm not surprised by that.  They're the two shows I have zero interest in right now.

I largely watch Unicorn and Shippuden out of pure support for the block. I've seen these Shippuden episodes before and I gave up trying to enjoy Unicorn a few weeks ago. It's just too convoluted for my tastes and has been difficult to follow. Ghost in the Shell I always enjoy even though this is my 3rd run through the show in recent years. Maybe it's my ASA nostalgia driving that. I miss One Piece as it was always a fun way to end the night!

The entirety of Unicorn is on YouTube.  Legally.  This hurts the block.

Also eff One Piece.

Is it STILL? I thought they took it down.

Just checked, they took the dub down it looks like, but it was there for a few weeks when Toonami started airing it.

I guess that still sucks They also have IBO Season 2 up there as well. All Toonami can really do is make sure the dub is exclusive to them I guess. We definitely can't afford to have entire dubs easily and legally available elsewhere anymore. The entirety of Tokyo Ghoul is up on Hulu dubbed as well which is unfortunate.

Maybe Toonami can take AOT and Super back to the FUNimation store and get Outlaw Star and Wolf's Rain  >:D

In all seriousness though, I have faith that the guys at Toonami will figure this out and make the needed changes or they'll leave I alone and just be satisfied with what it's doing. They can't not do anything and then complain or punish the block for programming decisions that didn't work out. If it means losing 11:00 or even 11:30, let it happen for the sake of the block !

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic