UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

I did have a mild curiosity about it back in 2000 2001. At the time I was curious as to why some of the shows that I liked were taken off the air Toonami or otherwise. I was curious as to why things like reboot we're getting the umpteenth run while things like Thundercats and Ronin Warriors were taken off the block.  I remember sitting on my computer and my dad walked into the room  and was like "Are you reading about viewer demographics?"

It seemed that even with weeknight anime they were very guilty of showing the same shows (usually FMA, Inuyasha, and Gits). In 07 when they finally started changing it up, it got yanked.

It actually got yanked in Spring of 2008 after InuYasha got buried at 5 AM and that's when, at the beginning of 2008, they started switching it out for other anime reruns at first, and then just other shows. Not sure why, considering it was successful at 1 AM pretty much all of the previous year. They did mix the 12:30 show up quite a bit though. At the beginning of 2007 it was FMA, then eventually they switched that out for Death Note on Mondays (possibly in an effort to compete with Syfy's Ani-Monday), but throughout that entire year, InuYasha persisted doubled-up at 1 AM on weeknights.

Weeknight anime wasn't ALL reruns, however. For a while in 2005 Thursday nights were reruns of Saturdays, but in January 2006 they finally gave anime premieres a try on weeknights at 12:30: InuYasha on Tuesday nights, Samurai Champloo on Wednesday nights, and Neon Genesis Evangelion on Thursday nights. (Mondays got reruns, FLCL followed by FMA.) IIRC Tuesday night InuYasha is the one that lasted the longest, as Samurai Champloo only had enough episodes left to cover January and February, and NGE made it through like April or May. Also in 2006, [as] tried Shin Chan premieres at 12:30 on weeknights for 2 weeks, which was quickly replaced by InuYasha reruns going back to where 2006 began with premieres, but when those reruns ran out, they began showing premiere episodes of InuYasha that hadn't yet aired on Tuesday nights! The run ended with a premiere of the final episode of InuYasha on a Thursday night watched by like 670K viewers 18-34. Oddly enough, I believe it would actually be 2010 before InuYasha's final episode would air on a Saturday night, and it would be the only time it would air on a Saturday night. (Of course the final FINAL episode of InuYasha The Final Act would air on a Saturday night, 6/13/15, to a crowd of ~381K adults 18-34.)

Because the Jack marathon was a good send off. But its asking a lot for people to come back for the 4th or 5th showing of it.

Yeah but still, marathon on holiday vs original programming on non holiday and the marathon wins? That's unusual.

Those ratings are the shits.

I was half joking about the VRV thing, but when you consider Crunchyroll surpassed 1 million subscribers months ago (only .6-.7 to go before catching up with the WWE Network!) this could be worse than I thought.

Also VRV seems to have a shitload of Shaw Bros. Kung fu flicks.  I love those.

Because the Jack marathon was a good send off. But its asking a lot for people to come back for the 4th or 5th showing of it.

It did have another thing going for it: it actually had its own bumpers throughout. It's not much, but it apparently made a difference.

I kinda wonder if rather than airing one show at 3 AM, every Toonami should end with a marathon of a recently finished show kinda like what they did to blow off Death Note in 2010 and Parasyte last year just before losing the rights. Sure it would be a bit more expensive, but there WAS some success in the doubled-up rerun portion which took the 4th Quarter of 2012!

Yeah I remember the sudden shift on 3/10/08 where people's TV guides we not even reflecting the change.  They had just finished a E7 weeknight run and we're just starting a final weeknight run for Champloo. Then later that year we lost Toonami and we had anime premieres at 5AM! They also lost a ton of rights that year and I think the way of doing business moving forward changed. It seemed they picked up shows for unlimited reruns for a set number of years and then it seems they went to a model for either less time or single airings. The exceptions seemed to be FLCL and Bebop.

Yeah but still, marathon on holiday vs original programming on non holiday and the marathon wins? That's unusual.

It shows that the holiday thing doesn't matter if you air something people want to watch. Not many other networks took the weekend off. All my wife's usual Sunday night shows aired new episodes as usual.

I think the problem is people are getting the same materials elsewhere at a more convenient time.

DING DING DING!!!

Tokyo Ghoul, DBZ KAI, Naruto, and Gits, and Gundam Unicorn are all available to watch dubbed on the internet. Not all legally, but people don't care about that as long as they don't have to deal with the consequences.

DING DING DING!!!

Tokyo Ghoul, DBZ KAI, Naruto, and Gits, and Gundam Unicorn are all available to watch dubbed on the internet. Not all legally, but people don't care about that as long as they don't have to deal with the consequences.

"Let THE CREATORS AND DISTRIBUTORS deal with the consequences.  Consequences that include, but are not limited to, 1.) Losing their job, 2.) having to move out and become homeless, 3.) not being able to afford food, 4.) moving to another city into another field of study, cutting ties with ALL their family and friends."

DING DING DING!!!

Curiously missing are Samurai Jack (rerun), Dragon Ball Super (rerun), Attack on Titan, and Hunter x Hunter. AOT could maybe be a slot higher, but WHY is Hunter x Hunter airing at 1:30 AM? I DOUBT it will get the next marathon but that would be interesting just to see how it would do directly after 10:30 Family Guy. Then again, we already know about HXH directly after an 11 PM Family Guy: 1156K for the first episode. If the series starts a new arc, perhaps they should TRY it at 11 PM?

Curiously missing are Samurai Jack (rerun), Dragon Ball Super (rerun), Attack on Titan, and Hunter x Hunter. AOT could maybe be a slot higher, but WHY is Hunter x Hunter airing at 1:30 AM? I DOUBT it will get the next marathon but that would be interesting just to see how it would do directly after 10:30 Family Guy. Then again, we already know about HXH directly after an 11 PM Family Guy: 1156K for the first episode. If the series starts a new arc, perhaps they should TRY it at 11 PM?

Well, yeah, I forgot to mention those, but I thought I'd just go down the premieres that can be watched elsewhere right now before they air!

VRV has all of them.  Hell, I bet VRV has everything BUT Jack.

But fansubs really do ruin anime distribution here.

You're never gonna stop 100% of illicit views.  What you do is make it easy enough for 75% of the audience to choose to pay you a flat fee vs going through the hassle of fansubs.  And that's apparently over 1 million people shelling out money.

VRV has all of them.  Hell, I bet VRV has everything BUT Jack.

But how can VRV have dubs of ANYTHING before they come on Toonami if they're dub premieres. Sure they've probably got those episodes of DBS, AOT, and HXH in SUBTITLES, but DUBBED BEFORE Toonami (or at least 8 PM on [as] in the case of DBS)? Impossible, since they ARE dub premieres!

Nevertheless, I'll bet you can go there and see Lupin the 3rd Part 4 in Italian with English subtitles if you really want to!

But fansubs really do ruin anime distribution here.

Yeah, its just that the thought process of legally supporting your fandom is just not there amongst the general population. I know so many people who hack Amazon Fire sticks and use some all inclusive Android app to watch pirated content, I can't remember the name. My wife has 5 or 6 people at her job who watch AoT, none of whom are watching it on legal sites despite it being widely available. I also know a lot of people who are "DUBS SUCK! Except for DBZ with the Faulconer score!"

You're never gonna stop 100% of illicit views.  What you do is make it easy enough for 75% of the audience to choose to pay you a flat fee vs going through the hassle of fansubs.  And that's apparently over 1 million people shelling out money.

Some people (like my brother)  also kept up with the DB Super fansubs because he thought they did at better job and used proper terminology.

Yeah, its just that the thought process of legally supporting your fandom is just not there amongst the general population. I know so many people who hack Amazon Fire sticks and use some all inclusive Android app to watch pirated content, I can't remember the name. My wife has 5 or 6 people at her job who watch AoT, none of whom are watching it on legal sites despite it being widely available. I also know a lot of people who are "DUBS SUCK! Except for DBZ with the Faulconer score!"

The thing is, those people had the same attitude in 2015 and those lineups absolutely KILLED IT in the ratings! It's kinda embarrassing that the very same scenes which aired in 2015 during a random episode of DBZ Kai that got over 2 million viewers are coming up on Dragon Ball Super later this summer and GOOD LUCK getting even a million at 11:30 with the Samurai stuck at 11 PM!

If I were DeMarco I would be SCRAMBLING to make a deal for a new AOT-style simuldub to replace Jack at 11 PM, but I doubt we're talking Dandy-style World Premiere. Is there anything coming up this summer that would fit the bill? We're stuck with crap ratings in June but at least that would fix July, August, and September.

Nope. No one will EVER 100% stop all illegal fan subs. But they can alleviate them as much as they can.

Some people (like my brother)  also kept up with the DB Super fansubs because he thought they did at better job and used proper terminology.

That's built in regardless of the show.  Remember those Orange is the new Black hacks?  Show is still gonna kill it.

No buying the official releases = no money to the companies = no more distribution

The worst part is that the fan subbers don't even NEED the companies to do it! As long as the episodes exist somewhere, like, RIGHT after or during their run in Japan, people know how to rip them into their own files!

Is there anything coming up this summer that would fit the bill?

Sadly, DeMarco is hush about shows they get until like 2-3 weeks prior to when it starts. 

Unless they're at a con, in which case they can announce shows months in advance.

The thing is, those people had the same attitude in 2015 and those lineups absolutely KILLED IT in the ratings! It's kinda embarrassing that the very same scenes which aired in 2015 during a random episode of DBZ Kai that got over 2 million viewers are coming up on Dragon Ball Super later this summer and GOOD LUCK getting even a million at 11:30 with the Samurai stuck at 11 PM!

If I were DeMarco I would be SCRAMBLING to make a deal for a new AOT-style simuldub to replace Jack at 11 PM, but I doubt we're talking Dandy-style World Premiere. Is there anything coming up this summer that would fit the bill? We're stuck with crap ratings in June but at least that would fix July, August, and September.

We are in a bad place right now.  They gave too much control to TOEI, the supposedly highly requested shows are not hitting like they thought they would, and they are running the hit show into the ground because they seem to think that's their best course of action. They don't have faith in Super to put it at 11 either. Super won't hit even a million if they leave Jack there all summer. But they have to be OK with that unless they are willing to make a change. They also need to work out a new deal with TOEI (hopefully they have that ability with each batch of episodes) or find some other place to put the Super rerun. But let them keep trying this all summer, we'll see what happens next time management sees a overall network ratings crisis.

Sadly, DeMarco is hush about shows they get until like 2-3 weeks prior to when it starts. 

Unless they're at a con, in which case they can announce shows months in advance.

I never understood the logic behind this, don't you want people knowing about a show that's coming? Do they make deals that run down to the wire like that or is it more of a not telling people for the sake of control. It leaves little time for promotion.

I never understood the logic behind this, don't you want people knowing about a show that's coming? Do they make deals that run down to the wire like that or is it more of a not telling people for the sake of control. It leaves little time for promotion.

ALSO unless it's for a show they helped produce (Samurai Jack Season 5, FLCL 2) because those get covered in press releases years in advance.

DeMarco's philosophy has been "We dictate what comes on and you will find out when we say so" particularly to avoid well, everyone running to Netflix or fansubs or VRV to watch the show.

We are in a bad place right now.  They gave too much control to TOEI, the supposedly highly requested shows are not hitting like they thought they would, and they are running the hit show into the ground because they seem to think that's their best course of action. They don't have faith in Super to put it at 11 either. Super won't hit even a million if they leave Jack there all summer. But they have to be OK with that unless they are willing to make a change. They also need to work out a new deal with TOEI (hopefully they have that ability with each batch of episodes) or find some other place to put the Super rerun. But let them keep trying this all summer, we'll see what happens next time management sees a overall network ratings crisis.

if these Jack reruns do poorly, they WILL move them to the back of the block after a few episodes, like they did with Tenchi Muyo GXP.  Then we can all have our happy little contractually-obligated DBZ fare before midnight, and the rest of the block will be better for it.

DeMarco's philosophy has been "We dictate what comes on and you will find out when we say so" particularly to avoid well, everyone running to Netflix or fansubs or VRV to watch the show.

Awww. Did the bad ice cream truck hit his nerve?? :D

Awww. Did the bad ice cream truck hit his nerve?? :D

I think Parasyte was supposed to be a big SDC announcement. I also think that Lupin was supposed to be the big Momocon announcement, but TMS beat them to the punch.  Are they doing AX this year? If hey are, that's where they probably will announce the replacement for Aot. But lets be honest, they probably want to rerun that one at 12:30 :P based on current programing logic.

You know whats funny. I never followed ratings until ASA/Toonami. The network made such a big deal about it in their bumps that I started paying attention. They conditioned us to care!

It's a really stupid version of bread and circuses. Meanwhile, DeMarco himself has broken free of it and now wants a violent revolution within the Democratic Party.

And judging by the fact that we've spent several pages panicking when there's virtually no reason to do so unless the man in charge tells us so, it's not going to end. :(

It's a really stupid version of bread and circuses. Meanwhile, DeMarco himself has broken free of it and now wants a violent revolution within the Democratic Party.

And judging by the fact that we've spent several pages panicking when there's virtually no reason to do so unless the man in charge tells us so, it's not going to end. :(

Me either. Now it's all this added worry and online conversations I want but don't need.  >:D

He's pretty much stopped Toonami talk (especially ratings) on his twitter and ask.fm. He mostly sticks to music, movies, and social causes. He may have gotten sick of it or told by his superiors to stop.

He's pretty much stopped Toonami talk (especially ratings) on his twitter and ask.fm. He mostly sticks to music, movies, and social causes. He may have gotten sick of it or told by his superiors to stop.

The only time he talks about Toonami on a regular basis online is during Pre-Flight. And that's usually news we already found out about by the time Pre-Flight episodes air.

I'm pretty unhinged with my opinions today (a lot going on in my real life having me on edge), so sorry if I've been over pessimistic.

"Let THE CREATORS AND DISTRIBUTORS deal with the consequences.  Consequences that include, but are not limited to, 1.) Losing their job, 2.) having to move out and become homeless, 3.) not being able to afford food, 4.) moving to another city into another field of study, cutting ties with ALL their family and friends."

When you put it like that, I feel like you're exaggerating just a little bit.

Not that I support pirating or anything, but I don't think there's any harm in watching illegal streams (where the only criminals are the uploaders) for some shows if you watch others through more legit channels like Netflix or buying the DVDs/BDs as a counterbalance.

You mean the highly requested TG isn't the ratings champ they thought it would be? Who could have foreseen this!

If I was running an anime block and wanted it to be canceled, I'd have Super as one of the leads. It's just not good in any way. Even Toriyama complained to TOEI about the quality of Super.

You mean the highly requested TG isn't the ratings champ they thought it would be? Who could have foreseen this!

If I was running an anime block and wanted it to be canceled, I'd have Super as one of the leads. It's just not good in any way. Even Toriyama complained to TOEI about the quality of Super.

They need to go outside of the show request list as those opinions represent a small fanbase who actually takes the time to go to the Facebook/Tumbr to request their favorite shows that they won't watch on the block. At this point it's too late for Fairy Tail and MHA, both of whom have their first seasons dubbed on Hulu.  You may get people watching the first few weeks, but when they find out they can go and watch the rest, they'll be gone.

The only way watching illegal streams is wrong for the viewer is if that's ALL they do.  Without paying anything. Of course the companies state that they are wrong just by existing, because it's a potential copyright infringement.

I see your point, I just don't like it when people say that those who so much as watch an illegal stream should be sent to prison to get anally raped, or something just as scathing but not as vulgar.

But, seeing how I bought this just a few weeks ago, by your logic I'm in the clear. :-D

They need to go outside of the show request list as those opinions represent a small fanbase who actually takes the time to go to the Facebook/Tumbr to request their favorite shows that they won't watch on the block. At this point it's too late for Fairy Tail and MHA, both of whom have their first seasons dubbed on Hulu.  You may get people watching the first few weeks, but when they find out they can go and watch the rest, they'll be gone.

Amazingly there's no dub for Konosuba, RE Zero, or Kabaneri yet. Maybe they can dub premiere one of them one day?

Funimation is apparently the only company that can get dubs out quickly. MHA.. dubbed. Tanya the Evil? Dubbed. Worldend? Dubbed. Akashic? Dubbed.

Reposting, because IT GOT BURIED!!!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-6-3-2017.html

12:00 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 853,000

12:30 AM Attack on Titan Season 2 656,000 (76.91%)

1:00 AM Tokyo Ghoul 553,000 (84.30%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 474,000 (85.71%)

2:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 430,000 (90.72%)

2:30 AM Naruto: Shippuden 438,000 (101.86%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 380,000 (86.76%)

TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE FOR 12-3:30 - 540,571

Bad when compared to how Toonami has done in the past, but what of the rest of TV? DBZ Kai, AOT, TG, and Gundam all won their timeslots among cable originals!

Reposting, because IT GOT BURIED!!!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-6-3-2017.html

12:00 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 853,000

12:30 AM Attack on Titan Season 2 656,000 (76.91%)

1:00 AM Tokyo Ghoul 553,000 (84.30%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 474,000 (85.71%)

2:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 430,000 (90.72%)

2:30 AM Naruto: Shippuden 438,000 (101.86%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 380,000 (86.76%)

TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE FOR 12-3:30 - 540,571

Bad when compared to how Toonami has done in the past, but what of the rest of TV? DBZ Kai, AOT, TG, and Gundam all won their timeslots among cable originals!

But how are they doing against the rest of cable (including reruns), we don't know anymore because they won't let us see!!

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic