UnevenEdge

ways I can "get out there" and look for a boyfriend

mochi

I already know about Grindr, and I'll most likely end up getting it if nothing else pans out (I'm slightly afraid to though cause I'm out of shape and all the guys on grindr tend to be egotistical and picky)

so my question is, other than relying entirely on grindr....what other ways does a gay man now-a-days find friends/hook-ups/an actual boyfriend?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name and number on a urinal wall?

Seriously though, check for local events and go. Most are free. If nothing else, get in touch with the local Democratic county chairman and say you want to get involved.

I don't think there's any specifically gay events until later in the year but I probably will risk my life attending Gay Pride this year just because at least if I die in an anti-gay attack trying to find love, at least I actually tried

and Phhh, what good would contacting a polititian do me?

I don't think there's any specifically gay events until later in the year but I probably will risk my life attending Gay Pride this year just because at least if I die in an anti-gay attack trying to find love, at least I actually tried

and Phhh, what good would contacting a polititian do me?

Well, for starters the local Democratic party will probably have an outreach float or booth at the pride event, so there ya go. If they don't, ask if you can set it up and run it.

Also, Trump is not going to send out people to kill gay people, saying crazy things like that is off putting and hinders your efforts.

There's a type for everybody in this community. As long as your profile picture on Grindr is an honest representation of you, you're bound to at LEAST get laid.  :)

Maybe you'll even find a guy on there who digs you for you. Although I don't necessarily think of Grindr as a place where real human connections are made, beyond the physical aspect.

But hey... You'll get laid.  :)

Well, for starters the local Democratic party will probably have an outreach float or booth at the pride event, so there ya go. If they don't, ask if you can set it up and run it.

Also, Trump is not going to send out people to kill gay people, saying crazy things like that is off putting and hinders your efforts.

true

as for the other point, probably not but they'll probably make gay sex illegal again very shortly so I'll get arrested if I ever have sex

There's a type for everybody in this community. As long as your profile picture on Grindr is an honest representation of you, you're bound to at LEAST get laid.  :)

Maybe you'll even find a guy on there who digs you for you. Although I don't necessarily think of Grindr as a place where real human connections are made, beyond the physical aspect.

But hey... You'll get laid.  :)

grindr is kind of an anonymous sex app but people do meet their soulmates on their sometimes

Gay bars, college groups, county/town groups (even my small hometown county had one of those but they were mostly very old people, but youth involvement in those things had to start somewhere).

It's a bit hard to say since I don't know the kind of area you're in. Even with what I can suggest, sometimes they're completely useless. For instance, I've mostly lived in towns that don't have gay bars, and my hometown had no resources for queer teens. I only really started dating once I got the fuck out of there.

Gay bars, college groups, county/town groups (even my small hometown county had one of those but they were mostly very old people, but youth involvement in those things had to start somewhere).

It's a bit hard to say since I don't know the kind of area you're in. Even with what I can suggest, sometimes they're completely useless. For instance, I've mostly lived in towns that don't have gay bars, and my hometown had no resources for queer teens. I only really started dating once I got the fuck out of there.

so what you're saying is

grindr is kind of an anonymous sex app but people do meet their soulmates on their sometimes

Well shit, there you go, dude! Go get laid and meet your soulmate!

But again, just make sure your pic is really you. Don't be goin' around catfishin' fools.

I don't even really know the kind of area I'm in, some parts of Maryland are pro gay other parts are like the deep south

there are a few Gay bars though

I already know about Grindr, and I'll most likely end up getting it if nothing else pans out (I'm slightly afraid to though cause I'm out of shape and all the guys on grindr tend to be egotistical and picky)

so my question is, other than relying entirely on grindr....what other ways does a gay man now-a-days find friends/hook-ups/an actual boyfriend?

By getting pozzed up like a neg.

fKONg.jpg

Gay bars aren't a bad start. At the very least, you might meet some people who have the inside scoop on LGBTQ-related events happening in the area. The one in the town where I'm currently staying has bulletin boards for LGBTQ-related events too.

You can find a local community college and apply for a fee waiver. That's what I'm doing right now.  I think the reasons I qualified for the waiver is because of low income and I'm not married.

don't you need to fill out a FAFSA and be independent for that to be true? doesn't it not work as well if you're dependent on your parents' incomes?

Gay bars aren't a bad start. At the very least, you might meet some people who have the inside scoop on LGBTQ-related events happening in the area. The one in the town where I'm currently staying has bulletin boards for LGBTQ-related events too.

true

don't you need to fill out a FAFSA and be independent for that to be true? doesn't it not work as well if you're dependent on your parents' incomes?

You do need to fill out a FAFSA. I think you do need to be considered an "independent." I'm dependent on my parents' income, but there's some technicality where I'm considered an independent. I think it might be because I have a bachelor's degree, but I can't remember. Maybe there's other technicalities that apply to mochi.

You do need to fill out a FAFSA. I think you do need to be considered an "independent." I'm dependent on my parents' income, but there's some technicality where I'm considered an independent. I think it might be because I have a bachelor's degree, but I can't remember. Maybe there's other technicalities that apply to mochi.

how can you be dependent and independent at the same time?  i didn't realize a bachelor's degree made you independent, i thought that was when you pay for over 50% (at least for single people) of your living expenses though my tax-fu is a bit weak in that area because i've never really had that problem where i had to flip flop between them.  also doesn't that also only work on for credit classes? i don't think FAFSA helps you with non-credit

how can you be dependent and independent at the same time?  i didn't realize a bachelor's degree made you independent, i thought that was when you pay for over 50% (at least for single people) of your living expenses though my tax-fu is a bit weak in that area because i've never really had that problem where i had to flip flop between them.  also doesn't that also only work on for credit classes? i don't think FAFSA helps you with non-credit

I really don't think I'm " dependent and independent at the same time." I can't quite remember why I'm considered independent, but I THINK it is because I have a bachelor's degree. It might be something else, like my age or something, I can't remember. I'm pretty sure whether or not someone claims you as a dependent on their taxes is not necessarily going to be the same for the purposes of the FAFSA.

What's wrong with taking credit classes?

Close enough. Point is, even if non-credit classes are a no-go, I see no reason why he can't take for-credit classes.

i...didnt say....he couldn't......take....for....credit....classes.

maybe if i say it slow enough his brain will be able to process it, or maybe it's all that rock and roll damaging his organs

i...didnt say....he couldn't......take....for....credit....classes.

maybe if i say it slow enough his brain will be able to process it, or maybe it's all that rock and roll damaging his organs

lol.

No you didn't say that, but I thought that was the implication. What I'm trying to say is, the fact that you even brought that up made it sound like mochi taking non-credit classes if he goes to college was a done deal. If I read into that wrong, I apologize.

lol.

No you didn't say that, but I thought that was the implication. What I'm trying to say is, the fact that you even brought that up made it sound like mochi taking non-credit classes if he goes to college was a done deal. If I read into that wrong, I apologize.

you're going to make me say it, don't make me say it

I don't even really know the kind of area I'm in, some parts of Maryland are pro gay other parts are like the deep south

there are a few Gay bars though

Maybe you should consider moving to an area that is more in tune with what you are looking for. Here where I live, Portland, you would have no problem meeting like-minded

people, going to regular events, joining different groups or clubs, etc.  This city is quite gay-friendly, as are many other cities. Good luck finding what you are looking for!