UnevenEdge

Testing out merging concurrent replies

I have it set to merge a user's concurrent replies made within a minute of each other (without another user posting in between). Testing it out to see if it cuts back on obnoxious rapid-fire posting.

If you have an opinion, do you like or does it make reading/posting things more confusing?

test

double test

triple test

quadruple merger test

2 hours ago, Adminderaptorpat said:

I have it set to merge a user's concurrent replies made within a minute of each other (without another user posting in between). Testing it out to see if it cuts back on obnoxious rapid-fire posting.

If you have an opinion, do you like or does it make reading/posting things more confusing?

test

double test

triple test

quadruple merger test

Yeah so

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

All for it.

Hey this is cool.

This keeps happening

3 hours ago, The Hound said:

Cool.

Like how you're getting around to things I would have setup on here in the first hour.

If you were in charge then instead of ragequitting every time you get owned you would either shut down the site or ban the people who owned you (almost everyone)

Guest The Hound
1 hour ago, Misaka said:

No he would just take it out on zeni  

Pretty much.

This level of administration and the update frequency on this place is pathetic.

I would have had this place setup the way we had everything setup on SMF in a day.

Pathetic. This is in no way in offense to KN. He doesn't give a fuck and I respect that.

Guest The Hound
5 hours ago, mthor said:

Would that be before or after you break the boards again?

You don't even know why the boards broke.

I wish you non techies would shut the fuck up and not pretend like you know a damned thing.

They went down because I was doing stuff for all of you. Each time they came back up my implementations carried through regardless. Cry me a bigger river.

1 minute ago, mthor said:

yeah - there's a thread about it in the welcome section.

Actually, there are maybe a half a dozen posts about it, then Viper saying he would have done it faster and better, then some comments addressing that statement.

Only nerds post in the other sections that are not ffa, rants, or dumpster fire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I saw that Pat was working on doing it, but there wasn't an explanation of how it was going to be done.

It was done by me going into settings and turning a button from off to on.

But different, better admins could have flipped that switch much faster and better than I - like back on day one - even though it is an attempt at addressing a problem that has only been around for a week.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Adminderaptorpat said:

It was done by me going into settings and turning a button from off to on.

But different, better admins could have flipped that switch much faster and better than I - like back on day one - even though it is an attempt at addressing a problem that has only been around for a week.

I was talking more about under what conditions a merge would happen.  I didn't really follow the thread after the initial read, though.

So, the setting merges unbroken, concurrent chain's of replies into one post if they are made within a specific time frame. I was testing it with a time frame of a minute. So posts made within a minute would get merged.

Judging by complaints, a minute is too long a timeframe, so the next time I'm at my PC tomorrow night after work I will see if I can do less than that, like ten or five seconds, and if not an option then maybe the basic function isn't good enough for what I want it to do while making everyone happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

I'm not sure how anyone thinks a minute is too long.  If you're making multiple posts in that short of a time frame, you should have mashed them all into one post anyway instead of being a lazy fuck.

If I am making multiple posts it is because I am responding to multiple people and I do not want all of those replies in one giant mess.

6 minutes ago, stilgar said:

If I am making multiple posts it is because I am responding to multiple people and I do not want all of those replies in one giant mess.

That's how most people post, but I'm usually too slow (and dumb) to exceed the 1 minute cooling off period.  

I don't mind it at all but the only reason I've seen cited for it is so people don't have to see huge sigs multiple times in a row. I don't see any sigs on mobile so this doesn't affect me, if it's bothering others then they can just turn sigs off and it won't affect them either. Or maybe the staff could make sigs smaller idk. But the merging is not a big deal even to the people who arbitrarily don't like it and is probably the best solution.

If someone responds to me and five other people in one post and I want to quote just the portion addressed to me all I have to do is highlight it and hit the Quote This button - if this feature did not exist I would oppose merging, but as is merging consecutive posts made within 1 minute of each other seems like the best way to go.

47 minutes ago, stilgar said:

Having multiple quotes in one post makes for a far more readable thread than seeing one person spew out a bunch of separate one-liner posts in a row.  That was fucking obnoxious even back on Lithium.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Having multiple quotes in one post makes for a far more readable thread than seeing one person spew out a bunch of separate one-liner posts in a row.  That was fucking obnoxious even back on Lithium.

Yes, I think most people outside of IB can agree with this. Not a big deal but still obnoxious. I hope it doesn't go away or get reduced to 20 seconds or something.

Edited by Nabloom

6 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

Sports is lame, go to the literary share space folder AND REVIEW MY FANFICTIONS.

I just want you to know that tagging me multiple times  throughout your fanfics to give me writer's credit after certain passages is appreciated, but not enough to get me to read them. I will never read them because they must never be read. I'm not going to be the one, and neither will anyone else. Hope you're doing alright.

34 minutes ago, stilgar said:

I wouldn't have a problem with a 20 second time limit.

A 20 second time limit would be like not having one at all. I get that rapid fire shit posts is your thing, and that's fine, no one's going to take those strings of shitposting away from you but others would prefer it if the sprees were condensed just a little bit hence this new feature. Maybe if it bothers you so much then take more than a minute to compose an idea before sharing it.

3 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Yeah don't like it when it's a thread I've created. I don't care if I'm making multiple posts in another's thread though. 

It bothers me the most when someone creates a thread and feels the need to respond to every post or almost every post as is custom in IB, so a few people respond then the op responds to all of them back to back, or if an interesting discussion is happening in a thread and the op comes back to check on it and responds to a bunch of older posts unrelated to the ongoing discussion with quick replies. Not a big deal but I prefer the merging.

Edited by Nabloom

1 hour ago, Nabloom said:

It bothers me the most when someone creates a thread and feels the need to respond to every post or almost every post as is custom in IB, so a few people respond then the op responds to all of them back to back, or if an interesting discussion is happening in a thread and the op comes back to check on it and responds to a bunch of older posts unrelated to the ongoing discussion with quick replies. Not a big deal but I prefer the merging.

The thing is that the person that created the thread has the right to reply to anyone as they see fit, regardless where other posters might have taken the thread, people having a separate discussion within a thread, merge that, OP should be able to post merge free

43 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

The thing is that the person that created the thread has the right to reply to anyone as they see fit, regardless where other posters might have taken the thread, people having a separate discussion within a thread, merge that, OP should be able to post merge free

I mean if it bothers you that bad then just wait literally a damn minute