UnevenEdge

Testing out merging concurrent replies

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

The thing is that the person that created the thread has the right to reply to anyone as they see fit, regardless where other posters might have taken the thread, people having a separate discussion within a thread, merge that, OP should be able to post merge free

Unquestionably, merging does change the flow of conversation in that it makes multiple concurrent conversation chains impossible.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if it is possible to apply the merge to individual accounts, but that seems to be a much better solution. If an individual is acting the fool and causing issues then discipline them, as opposed to the collective. If it is a collective issue that is comprising performance, that is another thing entirely.

31 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

That's exactly my point.

Can you explain how? I don't understand how it does that. From what I can tell all it does is let me scroll past one post i don't want to read slightly faster than scrolling past multiple posts and having to look at the screen name each time to see who it is. How is it fucking up anything? I figured you just didn't like the way one post with multiple quote bubbles looked. Each person you quote still gets the notification so it's not like they're gonna miss your response buried under other ones.

This is an unbelievable amount of discussion for such an extremely minor change lawl

Edited by Nabloom

It's not stylistic.  As far as thought processes go, keeping posts for conversation chains on individual posts is the easiest way to keep track for the poster.  It's not a problem if you're just responding to a topic, but it can be a problem if you're the thread creator and you're attempting to keep track of various side themes.  Granted, most topic chains here are far from mind bending and this is just a preference, but there are some rare circumstances where this could actually interfere with the topic.

Guest The Hound
21 hours ago, mthor said:

Come on, Viper, have a Snickers. You're all hangry. You really didn't expect that you would ever stop getting your chops busted for that as long as one of us is alive, did you?:P

Fuck you.

They make the mistake of making me an admin with anything more than theme control and I'll ban every single one of you shitty babblers.

44 minutes ago, The Hound said:

Fuck you.

They make the mistake of making me an admin with anything more than theme control and I'll ban every single one of you shitty babblers.

And that's why you're never getting even the slightest sliver of any kind of power here.

No offense dude but you need to grow up.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Without a doubt, the increased capabilities of this software make it a lot easier to work with combined posts.  I'm kind of wondering why the software can't reduce/limit the size of Sig artwork.

It's been brought up before but why a size limit hasn't been activated is a question for Pat myself I would of activated or tried to within a couple of weeks

I am a bit confused as to how this got tested/implemented faster than some of the other things such as fully functional bbcode integration in the editor and a variety of other things.

Not ragging on you, just suggesting perhaps a reorganization of priorities. I love you personally Pat you have always been one of the more responsible and caretaking members here. Just some constructive criticism. I think everyone would agree we appreciate what you are doing and the time you are donating to the community.

1 hour ago, KN said:

That's up to pat. All those decisions really are honestly, I just commented on viper because he's repeatedly asked me for power here privately because we're friends.

If it was privately, why are you telling us?]

Not that we all didn't know that Viper sits around, begging for ways to worm himself into a position of power just so he can abuse it and do shit only he thinks is funny, but still....No reason to actually say it so we can all laugh at him as he rolls around on the floor crying and shitting himself.

3 hours ago, Adminderaptorpat said:

It was a problem with specific users, but it is a board-wide setting.

Hmmm.

I haven't seen the control panel beyond a couple screen shots on the support forum, but would it be possible to create "punishment" groups and assign problem users to those groups, as opposed to having to set a global solution to address one trouble-maker?

For example, "Squelched" group that can only post in DF, or a "Slow Down Tex" group that has the one minute merge timer applied. That way, if people act out in certain ways that are detrimental but not really ban-worthy, they can be handled quickly without inconveniencing the community at large.

1 hour ago, Sandstone said:

I am a bit confused as to how this got tested/implemented faster than some of the other things such as fully functional bbcode integration in the editor and a variety of other things.

Not ragging on you, just suggesting perhaps a reorganization of priorities. I love you personally Pat you have always been one of the more responsible and caretaking members here. Just some constructive criticism. I think everyone would agree we appreciate what you are doing and the time you are donating to the community.

So basically to answer your question in the spirit of full transparency, this involved flipping a switch in the settings and seeing if people complained or not. Whereas those other things involve time and effort and learning.

My free time has kind of been limited the past two months, obviously I work full time and we're in the process of completing enough work on the new house so that I can move in before the end of the month. So, you know how it goes. 

The next step really is to sit and organize the punch-list of items to address, then for what hasn't already been done, KN and I can constructively chip away at what would fall under our individual wheelhouses. 

10 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

Hmmm.

I haven't seen the control panel beyond a couple screen shots on the support forum, but would it be possible to create "punishment" groups and assign problem users to those groups, as opposed to having to set a global solution to address one trouble-maker?

For example, "Squelched" group that can only post in DF, or a "Slow Down Tex" group that has the one minute merge timer applied. That way, if people act out in certain ways that are detrimental but not really ban-worthy, they can be handled quickly without inconveniencing the community at large.

It's definitely possible to create punishment groups. It's just that the post-merger timer is a board-wide setting. I suppose I could make a group have a post flooding limit, something to think about. 

2 hours ago, KN said:

That's up to pat. All those decisions really are honestly, I just commented on viper because he's repeatedly asked me for power here privately because we're friends.

So wait he would FB you for powers on here? 

Well if Pat is deciding then I'm screwed however I do know how invasion board works thanks to viper letting me have administration powers despite being a mod. I was able to find everything within a couple of minutes despite the admin panel being so complex

1 hour ago, Nabloom said:

Here we go, viper jr with more forum moderation fanfiction 

You do realize it's a simple find and fix or make a limit I'm not gonna go crazy with power because a out of power equals a ton of fuck ups that I don't want to be blamed for.

Myself a simple resize or the sig is only visible once per page would be simple not going crazy like you wormboy 

41 minutes ago, Gogo Yubari said:

Well at least we can delete posts now

A list of things I can't do yet others can:

Edit my posts after about 5 minutes

Delete posts

See who reacted to anyone's post

Report a post to the monds

This purple rank is starting to fuck with me a little bit.

2 minutes ago, Nabloom said:

A list of things I can't do yet others can:

Edit my posts after about 5 minutes

Delete posts

See who reacted to anyone's post

Report a post to the monds

This purple rank is starting to fuck with me a little bit.

Karma for picking on me