UnevenEdge

Bebops back. Toonami expands to 4:00 AM

brianycpht

You know... I'm not actually mad about this.  To be honest, I'm happy about it, actually.  Sure, Bebop was overplayed in the past, but it's been off the air for two and a half years, and it's in the dead last slot on Toonami.  I know some people won't be happy about this, but Bebop rejoining Toonami isn't harming anything.  They probably wouldn't have gotten the slot back unless it was returning anyway, and if they did, it would have just been home to either a Big O rerun or GITS season 2.  On top of that, remember that they DID still pay for those HD tapes back in 2014.  They've been sitting around gathering dust for two years, and not airing them would be a waste of the investment.

So bring on the Bebop, I say.

You know... I'm not actually mad about this.  To be honest, I'm happy about it, actually.  Sure, Bebop was overplayed in the past, but it's been off the air for two and a half years, and it's in the dead last slot on Toonami.  I know some people won't be happy about this, but Bebop rejoining Toonami isn't harming anything.  They probably wouldn't have gotten the slot back unless it was returning anyway, and if they did, it would have just been home to either a Big O rerun or GITS season 2.  On top of that, remember that they DID still pay for those HD tapes back in 2014.  They've been sitting around gathering dust for two years, and not airing them would be a waste of the investment.

Actually, the AOT rerun is dead last, at 3:30 AM. In light of this, I'm thinking "Charge" as the side after the 8-piece bucket of DBZ KFC is a mistake, and it's really "Warrior" that will air, or it's right and AOT will only air once at 3:30 and will be replaced by GITS:SAC 2nd Gig or something like that.

With Jack at 3:30 AM since 7/1, Toonami might as well have expanded to 4 AM then. The only reason I can see that it didn't is because they would have to have made new bumps for its front end that 11 PM didn't have. However, now whether AOT S2 ends 9/16 or later, they'll have to do it for the new show, so I gotta say I totally don't get what the point of not doing that was.

Outlaw Star seems to have done good for the back-end. Perhaps banking on more of that with Bebop is a solid move after all!

On 9/9/17, for the first time since 1/31/15, Toonami will run for 5 hours AND have 10 different shows!

I credit the boost in back-end ratings more to Shippuden, which I hear is in a very good arc.

That's great! :D Expansion is definitely something to cheer about.

Well it certainly isn't going to reverse the downward trend.

And yet the block keeps expanding, so clearly the powers that be feel that the ratings they're getting are still better than anything else they could put on at that hour.  Or even more likely, they don't really have any expectations for that hour either way, because, y'know, it's 3 in the morning on a Saturday.

Honestly I have no idea why any of you are sitting here in the year 2017 giving any sort of credence or inherent worth to hideously-inaccurate and increasingly-outdated Nielsen statistics, numbers that don't even pretend to properly take DVR and streaming viewers into account.  Just watch the shit you want to watch and let the people who are actually paid to worry about that shit do so.

And yet the block keeps expanding, so clearly the powers that be feel that the ratings they're getting are still better than anything else they could put on at that hour.  Or even more likely, they don't really have any expectations for that hour either way, because, y'know, it's 3 in the morning on a Saturday.

Honestly I have no idea why any of you are sitting here in the year 2017 giving any sort of credence or inherent worth to hideously-inaccurate and increasingly-outdated Nielsen statistics, numbers that don't even pretend to properly take DVR and streaming viewers into account.  Just watch the shit you want to watch and let the people who are actually paid to worry about that shit do so.

I thought the ratings were going low enough so that there was genuine cause for concern, but with this schedule change, I guess not. :poop:

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I feel one of my roles here is to take the aggressive pessimism and add a dose of optimism!

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I feel one of my roles here is to take the aggressive pessimism and add a dose of optimism!

We are inclined to feel a certain way I suppose because a few years ago, these numbers would not even be close to OK.

We got the block cut for better numbers than this.

We are inclined to feel a certain way I suppose because a few years ago, these numbers would not even be close to OK.

We got the block cut for better numbers than this.

It's all a relative scale. When the block got cut, comedy on Saturday was capable of far better ratings in the pre-Toonami hours. That's simply no longer the case for a number of reasons but mainly cord-cutting.

It's all a relative scale. When the block got cut, comedy on Saturday was capable of far better ratings in the pre-Toonami hours. That's simply no longer the case for a number of reasons but mainly cord-cutting.

Yeah, what I basically meant was that just seeing numbers that low triggers worry just because of what we were used to seeing. You guys said it perfectly on the podcast. This is just what Toonami can do without the huge lead in that we used to get. If comedy was getting close to 2 million viewers and we were seeing those kind of numbers it wouldn't be good!

Look at these ratings for instance from March of 2013

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/2013/03/adult-swim-ratings-march-11-17-2013.html

At the time Family Guy was at 10 like it is now (and was doing -1.8 million on a Saturday at 10:00), but it was followed by Boondocks and Black Dynamite( which were only doing 1.1-1.2 million) which sort of kneecapped where Toonami started the night off. At that point cable was doing a lot better overall. Take into account cable and Family Guys's decline and things become a lot clearer.

Well yes and no. There's a downward trend due to cord cutting and people using on demand services for everything and FG getting run into the ground but......

There's no way that's responsible for a 46 percent ratings drop in a single year.

If the block reaches the point where reruns of King of the Hill could get the same ratings, I'd expect it to be canceled.

Should've stayed away for 4-10 years at least.

Gathering dust?  Not true, Demarco cuddles with them every night.

Then again, if this can help Demarco get his fix so he doesn't get another Gundam to stink up the joint, maybe it's not such a bad thing.

Gathering dust?  Not true, Demarco cuddles with them every night.

Quotes like this make me wonder if you ever take anything seriously, or if you're completely incapable of it.

Regardless, Bebop is currently sitting as the second to last show on the block.  If you seriously think its going to damage ratings there, then nothing I say will make much of a difference convincing you otherwise. 

Quotes like this make me wonder if you ever take anything seriously, or if you're completely incapable of it.

Regardless, Bebop is currently sitting as the second to last show on the block.  If you seriously think its going to damage ratings there, then nothing I say will make much of a difference convincing you otherwise.

:P:D

It's not just Bebop by itself.  It's Bebop and a multitude of other terrible, baffling decisions.  Like getting Gundam and Tokyo Ghoul.  It all adds up.  Death by a thousand cuts of Demarco's fanboy-fueled incompetence.

Uhh, because it's been literally over two years since Bebop last aired and more importantly, these are the new HD tapes they never got a chance to give a full runthrough?

I swear to god, Ben, sometimes I think you're denser than the average harem protagonist.

12-fook-mi.png

Dense?  No.  I understand exactly what their thought process is.

Just 2 years gone compared to the decade plus it was run ad nauseum.  What a tragedy!  I don't care how long it's been gone.  It needs to stay gone.  No one is watching it.  Toonami is airing for its own sake.  I mean, anyone who even remotely dips their toes into anime is going to have someone recommend Bebop to them as one of the must-watch shows.  They don't need Toonami to "discover Cowboy Bebop."

Buying those HD tapes was an idiotic waste of money.  Demarco only bought them because he can't bear to be separated from his precious Bebop.  Hope this run gets canceled too so they look like even bigger jackasses.

So tell me, do you stay up to watch AOT reruns?  Because it sounds to me like you're just bitching in order to bitch.

I kinda was, yes.  Now I have to change the channel TWICE.  Once for Hiatus and again for Bebop.  I'm not a channel surfer, and I don't switch to something else during commercials, because I don't want to miss anything.  I won't even watch a movie if it's already started, in the rare case I do watch a movie on TV these days, given the editing, and the fact I can get them elsewhere.  I like to sit there and watch something beginning to end.  They've stopped my ability to do that with Toonami. 

Oh and Jack is gone, lul.  That's what they get for trying to run THAT into the ground.  This brain trust never learns a damn thing.

And what the actual fuck is the difference between airing a show at 3 vs. 3:30? Either way you're getting most of your views via DVR.

Could be a lot of difference depending on how tired someone is.  And as I said, Attack on Titan is the hot ticket that just aired.  Who the fuck is DVR-ing Bebop?  Old people that don't know how to use Netflix?

Just 2 years gone compared to the decade plus it was run ad nauseum.  What a tragedy!  I don't care how long it's been gone.  It needs to stay gone.  No one is watching it.  Toonami is airing for its own sake.  I mean, anyone who even remotely dips their toes into anime is going to have someone recommend Bebop to them as one of the must-watch shows.  They don't need Toonami to "discover Cowboy Bebop."

Buying those HD tapes was an idiotic waste of money.  Demarco only bought them because he can't bear to be separated from his precious Bebop.  Hope this run gets canceled too so they look like even bigger jackasses.

Most people did not watch every single run during that decade.  Some people did not watch any run during that decade.  Over two years is more than enough time to have some new sets of eyeballs watching a block, and more than enough time for many people who have watched the series to want to rewatch it.  And all of that aside, it's still on at 3 in the morning so who gives a shit.

Christ ben, maybe at least attempt at some point in your life to comprehend how normal human beings behave.  You keep acting as though everyone watched every single airing of this show across more than a decade.  Nobody did this.  And if they did, it's their own goddamn fault for getting sick of watching it.

Could be a lot of difference depending on how tired someone is.  And as I said, Attack on Titan is the hot ticket that just aired.  Who the fuck is DVR-ing Bebop?  Old people that don't know how to use Netflix?

People who are already watching part of the block, or who don't have Netflix, or who find it more convenient than having to dig out their disks.  What a thought.

I'm not a channel surfer, and I don't switch to something else during commercials, because I don't want to miss anything. 

You are terrible at watching TV.

Oh and Jack is gone, lul.  That's what they get for trying to run THAT into the ground.  This brain trust never learns a damn thing.

Jack finished its repeat run two weeks ago.  Imagine that, shows swapping out when they finish their runs.

You know what I mean.  The run will be cut short, just like last time, due to horrid ratings.

Yeah, but a bunch of other shows were taken down as a result of the first cut, not just Bebop. I highly doubt they're gonna cut short a rerun at 3AM at a point where the block isn't going until 6AM, no matter how much you whine about it.

Most people did not watch every single run during that decade.  Some people did not watch any run during that decade.  Over two years is more than enough time to have some new sets of eyeballs watching a block, and more than enough time for many people who have watched the series to want to rewatch it.  And all of that aside, it's still on at 3 in the morning so who gives a shit.

Neither did I.  Still got sick of it way before that, and besides, it was taking up space for something else that hadn't been run to death.  But no, let's keep wasting a slot on the same fucking show!  Somebody actually had a thread on the old boards that kept track of how many times it aired.  Wish it was still available!  3 in the morning is besides the fact.  It's the principle and the slot being wasted to rerun something for the umpteenth time over something new or something run much fewer times.  And don't forget DVR views herbaderp!  When it comes on doesn't even matter! :D

Christ ben, maybe at least attempt at some point in your life to comprehend how normal human beings behave.  You keep acting as though everyone watched every single airing of this show across more than a decade.  Nobody did this.  And if they did, it's their own goddamn fault for getting sick of watching it.

Again neither did I and I still got sick of it way before that.  Hell I can't even tolerate keeping it on for background noise.  Ranlsa did and never got sick of it. :D Hell, her and her cohorts actually set up a group to continue watching the rerun shows on their own after Toonami got bifurcated!  Now that's a sickness right there.

People who are already watching part of the block, or who don't have Netflix, or who find it more convenient than having to dig out their disks.  What a thought.

Yes because it's so hard to grab discs off a shelf.  Or are all these people hoarders? :D Wasting their time when it's faster and easier to watch the show in it's entirety elsewhere.  Only people I can think of are those who don't have access to or don't care to use streaming services and don't own the discs.  Which would be an extreme minority.

You are terrible at watching TV.

I'm terrible at watching TV because I don't want to miss parts of shows or have movies butchered? :|

Jack finished its repeat run two weeks ago.  Imagine that, shows swapping out when they finish their runs.

Could have sworn it was canceled before it ended.  I stand corrected.  Still got relegated to the death slot because they got overzealous and tried to run it to death right off the bat in prime slots.  Just like we said would happen!

Yeah, but a bunch of other shows were taken down as a result of the first cut, not just Bebop. I highly doubt they're gonna cut short a rerun at 3AM at a point where the block isn't going until 6AM, no matter how much you whine about it.

Which happened due to those shows being rerun to death for years, with Bebop being the worst offender.  Hmm. 

Doesn't matter how long into the night the block is running.  If a slot is doing bad enough they'll modify it.

I have a feeling Attack on Titan S2 will be replaced by FLCL S1. The only problem with that is the last week for AOTS2 is October 14th, meaning October 21st is when FLCL would begin. If FLCL 2 was coming January 6, 2108, something else would need to replace FLCL S1 before S2 took over, or maybe FLCL S1 could just run twice? Also, would marathons extend to 3:30 or not? So far only one has this year: Samurai Jack. It would probably make no sense to have 1 episode of AOT S2's replacement at 3:30 AM on October 21st, and then cut to Marathon on Oct. 28th, so I think that if there's a marathon on Oct. 28 for Saturday before Halloween (most likely JoJo), it will likely go 11-3:30, and AOT S2's replacement will still play at 3:30 AM that night, but would that be the case the next week? Will we get a special for the bonus hour on Daylight Savings Time's end on November 4th? It would be neat if somehow Toonami could play a one-off 30-minute special at 3:30 AM on Oct. 21st (no, not Hellsing, as that would also need to take Cowboy Bebop's timeslot), run 10 episodes for the marathon on Oct. 28th, and then have a special on Nov. 4th before bringing out a new classic show on Nov. 11th! That would also be a perfect timeslot for FLCL S1, as it would get 3 episodes in November and 3 episodes in December before full-night marathons on December 23rd and 30th.

But what would those marathons be? Is there enough "stuff" on Toonami to fill all those marathon timeslots? I think so:

Oct. 28: JJBA: Stardust Crusaders (1-9 or 4-12)

Nov. 25: Outlaw Star (1-9, 3-11 (depending upon special on 11/4) or 4-12)

Dec. 23: Gundam IBO #26-#34 (IF 3:30 different) or (hell, why not?) Lupin

Dec. 30: Lupin (if not used previous week), or practically anything else but JoJo, OS, or Gundam IBO!