UnevenEdge

Toonami tries too hard

Zenigundam

It reminds me of the kid in HS who doesn't have an identity or in-group, and it bugs him so much that he starts buying the most popular shirts, jeans, sneakers, and comes to school using any kind of slang that's considered hip, and listens to only Top 40 contemporary music on the newest version of the IPod that he just bought the day before to seem really cool.

If Toonami weren't so influenced by the media and groupthink, it could be what Adult Swim Action was in the early to mid 2000s and could dare to air anime that aren't generic post-2013 shonen or newer installments of well-known anime franchises that aren't very good at all (Gundam: IBO, Tenchi GXP, etc).

In all fairness, they had no idea what they were getting into when they picked up GXP and regretted airing it after the fact.

Still, I prefer surprises like that to the more predictable pickups like One Punch Man and JoJo, even though those two are objectively better than GXP.

, basically never watch any Tenchi Series that doesn't have Tenchi as the protagonist.............except for Dual Parallel Trouble adventure because it's awesome

Zeni are you at least happy they are airing Gundam Unicorn?

They do in fact work too hard. They arguably put too much effort into their packaging. On the week's they run marathons they make a new set of bumpers for the commercial breaks. They could simply repeat the same bumpers every slot but they go that extra mile for whatever reason. They make something new for the block most weeks out of the year and also do immersion events. They give every series premiere promotion and promote any deviation from the regular schedule and every change to the regular schedule. No other part of Adult Swim has regular line-up promos that include every show that is airing. The amount of effort they put into promotion and packaging is far and beyond any other venue out there. And the Toonami staff don't even get paid for all that. They are definitely working too hard and bless them for it.

Toonami definitely has an identity Zeni, you simply don't like what it is. The home of mainstream action animation on basic cable. Arguably still the home of the best action cartoons on US television.

, basically never watch any Tenchi Series that doesn't have Tenchi as the protagonist.............except for Dual Parallel Trouble adventure because it's awesome

Oh hey, I kind of remember Dual, yeah.

Also, I remember that at least War on Geminar had some good visuals and character designs at times.

Not that I'd really be in a hurry to rewatch any Tenchi or any harem show really.

i feel like the first few years had more variety than what we get now

3 hours a week simply means Toonami has to pick the most obvious popular stuff now

Dragon Ball Super, haven't seen it, but I'm down for watching it, but I don't think they need all three of HxH, One Piece, and Naruto. That's just way too much shonen... series that arguably don't even belong on Adult Swim.

Dragon Ball Super, haven't seen it, but I'm down for watching it, but I don't think they need all three of HxH, One Piece, and Naruto. That's just way too much shonen... series that arguably don't even belong on Adult Swim.

where else would they go? Anime Is Scarce On Television And Toonami is the only safe haven for it at this point

and this would only change if Toonami was Expanded with more time slots but that's never going to happen as long

I like anime and it's the only TV option for anime, so I'm always up for watching new things. However, I only casually watch HxH, One Piece, and Shippuden. I'll probably watch tonight because I'm not tired. Toonami could do a lot better job of putting a diverse lineup together because most viewers like me will only watch an hour to an hour and a half of the block and either go to sleep or find something else to watch.

where else would they go? Anime Is Scarce On Television And Toonami is the only safe haven for it at this point

and this would only change if Toonami was Expanded with more time slots but that's never going to happen as long

I get the feeling Toonami will expand to weeknights eventually. There'll come a point when AS's comedies aren't doing well and anime surpasses them in popularity. I know it seems unthinkable because, notwithstanding the very early days of AS on weeknights with Lupin, Trigun, Inuyasha, etc, those timeslots have been almost exclusively comedy series for the past thirteen years, but I think the gap in ratings is closing quickly. If Dragon Ball Super gets superb ratings in January, I could see it happening by next summer.

I would feel better about One Piece and Naruto being on the block if they weren't showing episodes from freaking 7 or 8 years ago. Thriller Bark happened AGES ago, and Naruto Shippuden ended last year. I understand continuing the series based on continuity and all that, but damn.

My new laptop is horrible. I used to be able to watch anime on my old one, with fewer issues, but now I have to reload the stream every other minute, so it's a strange situation now because watching anime online is burdensome with my current laptop. Need to get a much better one.

Why don't you just set up an OKC date or two and steal their laptop?

I get the feeling Toonami will expand to weeknights eventually. There'll come a point when AS's comedies aren't doing well and anime surpasses them in popularity. I know it seems unthinkable because, notwithstanding the very early days of AS on weeknights with Lupin, Trigun, Inuyasha, etc, those timeslots have been almost exclusively comedy series for the past thirteen years, but I think the gap in ratings is closing quickly. If Dragon Ball Super gets superb ratings in January, I could see it happening by next summer.

as long as adultswim has fox animated sitcoms there will be no anime on week nights

family guy gives them too much moolah

I would feel better about One Piece and Naruto being on the block if they weren't showing episodes from freaking 7 or 8 years ago. Thriller Bark happened AGES ago, and Naruto Shippuden ended last year. I understand continuing the series based on continuity and all that, but damn.

that can be blamed on those shows being shelved for far too long and being lost in limbo for awhile

as long as adultswim has fox animated sitcoms there will be no anime on week nights

family guy gives them too much moolah

That and Toonami costs a pretty penny while a good portion of their original comedies cost them fuck all to make....and I say this as a fan of most of their comedies but there's a reason a lot of shows are stop motion or have little to no in between animation.

That and Toonami costs a pretty penny while a good portion of their original comedies cost them fuck all to make....and I say this as a fan of most of their comedies but there's a reason a lot of shows are stop motion or have little to no in between animation.

it's sad because toonami is the only time adult swim doesn't seem like it's run by drunks

In all fairness, they had no idea what they were getting into when they picked up GXP and regretted airing it after the fact.

Still, I prefer surprises like that to the more predictable pickups like One Punch Man and JoJo, even though those two are objectively better than GXP.

They really need to get an intern or at least appoint someone on the team to just watch these shows, and more than 3-5 episodes.

JoJo wasn't a predictable pick-up at all, given it was in limbo forever and got a bargain bin release on disc by Warner Brothers.

And who gives a shit whether a pick-up is "predictable" or not?  The shows should actually be good.  That's what matters.

Agree completely with Ben. There's no way they'd have put Dimension X and Tenchi GXP on if they took the time to watch them.

I don't think long shonen are suited for once a week airings. It only works if the series is episodic like an old action cartoon. Toonami might never finish One Piece or Naruto, but it feels obligated to air them because they are popular and were the major players on the block in the mid-late 2000s.

Funny, I'd say Super has the least business airing on Adult Swim, yet it's going to air on Adult Swim even outside of Toonami. Go figure.

But seriously, that should be on a children's network, it requires next to no censorship aside from God, Satan, Hell and death.

Agree completely with Ben. There's no way they'd have put Dimension X and Tenchi GXP on if they took the time to watch them.

I don't think long shonen are suited for once a week airings. It only works if the series is episodic like an old action cartoon. Toonami might never finish One Piece or Naruto, but it feels obligated to air them because they are popular and were the major players on the block in the mid-late 2000s.

I Love One Piece but it deserves much better than this...Once a week airings late night in an insomniacs lineup is bullcrap

I still think the Snyder era was the worst thing to ever happen to the network.

Beyond the live-action nonsense in 2008, Snyder honestly was preferable to the current head of CN. At least back then there was some semblance of variety on CN and decent amount of action cartoons airing.

Zeni are you at least happy they are airing Gundam Unicorn?

They do in fact work too hard. They arguably put too much effort into their packaging. On the week's they run marathons they make a new set of bumpers for the commercial breaks. They could simply repeat the same bumpers every slot but they go that extra mile for whatever reason. They make something new for the block most weeks out of the year and also do immersion events. They give every series premiere promotion and promote any deviation from the regular schedule and every change to the regular schedule. No other part of Adult Swim has regular line-up promos that include every show that is airing. The amount of effort they put into promotion and packaging is far and beyond any other venue out there. And the Toonami staff don't even get paid for all that. They are definitely working too hard and bless them for it.

Toonami definitely has an identity Zeni, you simply don't like what it is. The home of mainstream action animation on basic cable. Arguably still the home of the best action cartoons on US television.

Why do you or anyone else respond to Zeni seriously?  You know he is just doing this for the lulz, right?

I mean, this post would be admirable, if it were addressed to practically anyone else.  You'd be better off just ignoring Zeni or acting goofy along with him.

toonami should pick up what's good not just what's popular just off name value

The problem there is what's good is highly subjective...

To some what's good is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter and One Piece

To some what's good is Sword Art Online, Akame ga Kill and Black Lagoon

To some what's good is Universal Century Gundam, Voltron and Robotech

To some what's good is Attack on Titan, Hellsing Ultimate and Death Note

To some what's good is Space Dandy, Michiko & Hatchin and FLCL

To some what's good is Cowboy Bebop, Big O and Ghost in the Shell

To some what's good is Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and Bleach

To some what's good is Sailor Moon, InuYasha and Code Geass

To some what's good is Tiger & Bunny, Blood Blockade Battlefront and One-Punch Man

To some what's good is Ushio & Tora, Magi and Log Horizon

I know a guy who loves SAO and AGK and thinks FLCL and Cowboy Bebop are trash and wont even respect them for their influence on anime and popular culture.

I know far too many people who only like Dragon Bal Z, Attack on Titan and maybe One-Punch Man or Naruto.

I know people who dislike pretty much all shounen and only want Toonami to play seinin anime.

I know people who genuinely enjoyed DImension W or Tenchi Muyo GXP.

I know people who thought Michiko & Hatchin was an inspired picks for Toonami and people who thought it was the worst thing they ever aired.

I know people who love KILL la KILL and I know people who loathe it.

I know people who are complaining to Toonami to air Tokyo Ghoul and others who are thankful it hasn't aired and are hoping it never does.

I know people who would love to see Young Justice on Toonami and I know people who would be furious if it ran on Toonami.

I know people who are excited for Samurai Jack and FLCL revivals and I know people who consider them a huge waste of money.

I know people who think Toonami is nothing without DBZ and people who think DBZ is the worst thing to ever happen to Toonami on Adult Swim.

I do not envy Jason and Gill having to consider all that.

They know they can't ever please everyone so they largely go after the shows that get the most requests and occasionally get shows specifically because they wanted to air them. Though I do think they need to spend more time checking these shows, especially now that they barely have any slots rotating shows in and out.

The problem there is what's good is highly subjective...

To some what's good is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter and One Piece

To some what's good is Sword Art Online, Akame ga Kill and Black Lagoon

To some what's good is Universal Century Gundam, Voltron and Robotech

To some what's good is Attack on Titan, Hellsing Ultimate and Death Note

To some what's good is Space Dandy, Michiko & Hatchin and FLCL

To some what's good is Cowboy Bebop, Big O and Ghost in the Shell

To some what's good is Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and Bleach

To some what's good is Sailor Moon, InuYasha and Code Geass

To some what's good is Tiger & Bunny, Blood Blockade Battlefront and One-Punch Man

To some what's good is Ushio & Tora, Magi and Log Horizon

I know a guy who loves SAO and AGK and thinks FLCL and Cowboy Bebop are trash and wont even respect them for their influence on anime and popular culture.

I know far too many people who only like Dragon Bal Z, Attack on Titan and maybe One-Punch Man or Naruto.

I know people who dislike pretty much all shounen and only want Toonami to play seinin anime.

I know people who genuinely enjoyed DImension W or Tenchi Muyo GXP.

I know people who thought Michiko & Hatchin was an inspired picks for Toonami and people who thought it was the worst thing they ever aired.

I know people who love KILL la KILL and I know people who loathe it.

I know people who are complaining to Toonami to air Tokyo Ghoul and others who are thankful it hasn't aired and are hoping it never does.

I know people who would love to see Young Justice on Toonami and I know people who would be furious if it ran on Toonami.

I know people who are excited for Samurai Jack and FLCL revivals and I know people who consider them a huge waste of money.

I know people who think Toonami is nothing without DBZ and people who think DBZ is the worst thing to ever happen to Toonami on Adult Swim.

I do not envy Jason and Gill having to consider all that.

They know they can't ever please everyone so they largely go after the shows that get the most requests and occasionally get shows specifically because they wanted to air them. Though I do think they need to spend more time checking these shows, especially now that they barely have any slots rotating shows in and out.

To Top_Gun this post must have burned like Holy Water.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not really. When he panned IGPX in his post-series review of it on the Trunks thread, I more or less called him an asshole for making me feel bad about genuinely liking it, to which he responded by clarifying that he's glad I like it and that he was just personally disappointed by it. Still kinda wish he had the time to read my clarifications and comments to his posts so he'd obviously see things my way...

But I digress. Point is, if you're on the right foot with someone, they'll be more generous towards the things they hate than it may look they are at first glance.

it's sad because toonami is the only time adult swim doesn't seem like it's run by drunks

Maybe also when King of the Hill is on??  :P

I mean, you should probably never choose a cartoon character as a role model, but Hank does have many positive characteristics, including that he's honest, hardworking, and a man of integrity!

[be like Hank]

You mean Dimension W, right? It was a special case since it was a broadcast dub. The contract was probably inked while the Yasogami arc was airing on Japanese TV, so all the staff had to go by for Akame ga KILL's replacement was like episodes 1-4 or 1-5, when it was still actually rather critically acclaimed. No matter how much of a confusing, disjointed, incoherent mess it was in its final 7 episodes, it actually did great in the ratings.

Tenchi Muyo GXP, on the other hand, there's just no excuse for. The whole thing was available (hell, it was an older show and not even a dub premiere) and it was easy to see that it was just really, really bad. Believe it or not they started airing that shit in November 2012 at 12:30 PM. As bad as the November sweeps period was in 2014 and 2016, neither held a candle to the all-out Hell that was 2012's, thanks to this bumbling move. Of course Naruto would come in December and it would be bumped to 1 AM, then quickly to 3 AM where it would finish out its ill-fated run!

Gundam IBO may have done lackluster in the ratings, but it was NOT a miss! And I'm sure we'll get Season 2 after Unicorn Re:0096!

It's funny how you still can't tell the difference between personal enjoyment and critical analysis.

I can, but you apparently can't conceive of the possibility of someone thinking something is good by critical standards, even if it might have some flaws - yes, even something that you, O Arbiter of Anime, Top_Gun, think is bad.  Objectivity does not exist.  Quality is a matter of opinion.  There is no "authoritative correct view" on anything, when it comes to quality of entertainment and art.

And I already gave the difference between my enjoyment and critical analysis of Bleach.

Personally I'd like to see Toonami picking up less long runners (or at least the removal of a couple of them), but I'm overall pretty satisfied with the block.  Definitely more lively than what ASA would be at this time.

Lively, and it's obvious they're going to add a slot or two for more finite series.  They aren't going to pass up on shows, especially big ones, just because there "isn't any room."  The long-runners they have now have loyal audiences, so no sense in removing them, and the block is growing, justifying its expansion by legitimately needing more room for more shows, and the shows they already have are doing well.  Like Demarco said, "Toonami can expand as needed."  So, I wouldn't get too worried, even with all the long-runners we have right now.

Not really. When he panned IGPX in his post-series review of it on the Trunks thread, I more or less called him an asshole for making me feel bad about genuinely liking it, to which he responded by clarifying that he's glad I like it and that he was just personally disappointed by it. Still kinda wish he had the time to read my clarifications and comments to his posts so he'd obviously see things my way...

But I digress. Point is, if you're on the right foot with someone, they'll be more generous towards the things they hate than it may look they are at first glance.

Yeah, Top_Gun is good at making people feel bad.  He likes to sneer and scoff from his ivory tower.  He's a card carrying member of the Otaku Ultra Elite, a gatekeeper that stops plebeians from entering his fandom and makes sure they know they are liking and disliking the wrong anime, and that they should feel bad for it.

The guy described in this video is a good example of one of Top_Gun's ilk -

Never been on the right foot with him.  Don't like his attitude, how he carries himself, how he interacts with others, his disposition, don't care for him in general.  I try to get along with him, but then he has to go and be a smug snob.

Anyway, IGPX isn't bad, per se... it's just got problems, obviously, since it was made by people who never wrote or made anything before... not full-on stories, anyway.  It's a slice of life sports mecha anime.  Yeah, not what people were expecting, and certainly doesn't live up to being THE FIRST TOONAMI ORIGINAL.  I actually have issues paying attention to it, and that almost never happens with me.  But, I can't say I hate it.  It's an okay show, and I can see why people like it.  The soundtrack, character designs, animation, art, action sequences... done pretty well.  Where it's weak is the characters and writing.  But, it's not too bad there.  It's alright.