UnevenEdge

Toonami Memorial Day plans (what we know so far)

Not much to go on yet, but they schedule so far shows.

8pm NEW DBS

11:00 Jack Season 5, episode 1

The rest of the schedule is blank.

Looks like it'll be some kind of marathon, probably Jack.

Does this mean they get further behind from Japan with AOT? Will Funimation still post their new dub episode on Sunday putting Toonami airing even behind that?

I really hope this doesn't mean they are going to rerun Jack at 11.

Super still being new is weird. Will the 8pm episode get ahead of 11:30? Probably will rerun the same episode next week.

http://adultswim.x10.mx

Super staying at 8 could be a side effect of whatever Toei wants from them. They very well could end up a week behind, which would not do the 11:30 airing any favors. ::HMM::

And Jack airing at 11:00 is probably just a side effect of how the schedule is managed, but I still expect a marathon of that whole new season to air on the day.

Assuming what that site says is correct, maybe what they'll do is this:

8 PM 5/27 DB Super #20

8 PM 6/3 DB Super #21

11 PM 6/3 DB Super #20 & #21 (1 hour)

8 PM & 11 PM 6/10 Super #22

With a NEW SLOT opening up at or after 11:30 on 6/10!

Sure, Super has disappointed in the ratings, but we ARE coming up on the Resurrection of Frieza! That might be enough to give it a Toonami power hour and a boost for the summer!

I honestly never even thought of them doing a rerun for Jack. Maybe on a different day, but not during Toonami. After how badly Attack on Titan S1 reruns bombed, I doubt they'd do anything like that again.

One would hope.

Assuming what that site says is correct, maybe what they'll do is this:

8 PM 5/27 DB Super #20

8 PM 6/3 DB Super #21

11 PM 6/3 DB Super #20 & #21 (1 hour)

8 PM & 11 PM 6/10 Super #22

With a NEW SLOT opening up at or after 11:30 on 6/10!

Sure, Super has disappointed in the ratings, but we ARE coming up on the Resurrection of Frieza! That might be enough to give it a Toonami power hour and a boost for the summer!

I suppose they could do something like that so they don't remain a week behind on Super but it would be simpler to just air Super and Titan in the 11pm hour on that night and run Jack from 12-5AM if they intend to run a marathon that night. That way Super isn't even temporarily a week behind the 8pm airing and Titan doesn't get further behind either.

Sketch's idea is exactly what they need to do in this situation.  I'm hoping adjustments are made to that schedule (I'm sure a lot of it is automated anyway to either go to the next episode or back to the 1st in the case of Jack at 11. )The rest being blank is because Toonami probably hasn't made a choice about final scheduling. It's possible the contract with Funimation for Titan is such that either they may not be allowed to preempt OR Funimation has to hold off their release until Toonami airs it, otherwise what's the point of them even waiting a day to post it. Let's hope for good things and good decisions to be made.

I miss the old days of the AS paper schedule. I get show announcements wanting to be a surprise (although I think shows should get more than a week or 2 of promotion and notice before airing- I never understood how Toonami won't talk about a show until the last minute. Can't we get a month or so instead), but marathons don't really have to be a "secret". We expect them on holidays for the most part and it's never anything special other than a recent show usually so why even bother keeping us in the dark about it?

Did they do a marathon for Memorial Day weekend in 2016? I wasn't an active viewer during that time.

Samurai Champloo got a marathon of episodes 15-21 (the "Kansai Chapter") last year. Those were also the only episodes to get a rerun. It was an interesting choice because they had also recently acquired Dimension W, but it had just finished. No Dimension W episode has been aired more than once to date.

In 2015, KILL la KILL was chosen for the Memorial Day marathon, but it began at 12:30, led-into as normal by an episode of DBZ Kai. It was probably the "safest" choice at that time since marathons were mostly untested, and the first whole-block marathon would actually be Michiko & Hatchin on Labor Day weekend of 2015. Viewers who expected to tune in to a new dubbed episode of KILL la KILL instead got a rerun of Episode 10 along with its full OP, and many changed the channel but most stayed as the marathon went through the end of the Tri-Schools Raid arc (Episode 15). Also, unlike Champloo, all of KILL la KILL would get a 3 AM rerun, which meant those episodes to be lucky enough to be featured during the marathon would actually get THREE total airings!

There was no Memorial Day marathon in 2014 or 2013, and Memorial Day of 2012 was when the block returned.

Not much to go on yet, but they schedule so far shows.

8pm NEW DBS

11:00 Jack Season 5, episode 1

The rest of the schedule is blank.

Looks like it'll be some kind of marathon, probably Jack.

Does this mean they get further behind from Japan with AOT? Will Funimation still post their new dub episode on Sunday putting Toonami airing even behind that?

I really hope this doesn't mean they are going to rerun Jack at 11.

Super still being new is weird. Will the 8pm episode get ahead of 11:30? Probably will rerun the same episode next week.

http://adultswim.x10.mx

This to me pretty much implies that it's a Jack marathon.

I honestly never even thought of them doing a rerun for Jack. Maybe on a different day, but not during Toonami. After how badly Attack on Titan S1 reruns bombed, I doubt they'd do anything like that again.

I can see definitely see a rerun for Jack in the future, though without a doubt it wouldn't be at the top of the lineup.  Outside of Toonami is a possibility, but I think it's more likely to rerun within the block.  Given that 11 PM is almost certainly leaving after Jack ends, this begs the question: will Toonami be reduced to 11:30 to 3:30, or will the entire block just be pushed back by 30 minutes to make it 11:30 to 4:00?  I think points can be made for both.  If the latter occurs, SJ will almost certainly be rerun, either in the 3:30 slot, or maybe in the 3:00 or 2:30 slot, if they wanted to mix the lineup up.  I doubt it would air earlier than that.  If the former occurs, then they'll probably air SJ whenever they get the next chance to.

I suppose they could do something like that so they don't remain a week behind on Super but it would be simpler to just air Super and Titan in the 11pm hour on that night and run Jack from 12-5AM if they intend to run a marathon that night. That way Super isn't even temporarily a week behind the 8pm airing and Titan doesn't get further behind either.

We wouldn't have this problem if Demarco would take the fucking marathon needle out of his arm.

Also that will screw up people who won't be expecting Titan to air at that time.

Samurai Champloo got a marathon of episodes 15-21 (the "Kansai Chapter") last year. Those were also the only episodes to get a rerun. It was an interesting choice because they had also recently acquired Dimension W, but it had just finished. No Dimension W episode has been aired more than once to date.

In 2015, KILL la KILL was chosen for the Memorial Day marathon, but it began at 12:30, led-into as normal by an episode of DBZ Kai. It was probably the "safest" choice at that time since marathons were mostly untested, and the first whole-block marathon would actually be Michiko & Hatchin on Labor Day weekend of 2015. Viewers who expected to tune in to a new dubbed episode of KILL la KILL instead got a rerun of Episode 10 along with its full OP, and many changed the channel but most stayed as the marathon went through the end of the Tri-Schools Raid arc (Episode 15). Also, unlike Champloo, all of KILL la KILL would get a 3 AM rerun, which meant those episodes to be lucky enough to be featured during the marathon would actually get THREE total airings!

There was no Memorial Day marathon in 2014 or 2013, and Memorial Day of 2012 was when the block returned.

And not a single tear was shed.

"No Dimension W episode has been aired more than once to date."

You mean they don't want to rerun one of the worst anime ever made? Say whattttttt?

I don't think you've watched enough bad anime for that to qualify.

But hooray, Jack marathon! Hooray hooray. Let's see how little I care about the ratings for that one.

I don't think you've watched enough bad anime for that to qualify.

But hooray, Jack marathon! Hooray hooray. Let's see how little I care about the ratings for that one.

I've seen Tenchi Muyo war on Geminar, Maken Ki, and School days.  I think I've seen enough terrible anime =P

Well, now that we know that Toonami will be occupied by Samurai Jack plus one slot all night on 5/27, the question that must be asked, yet no one is asking, is "what of the 8 PM Dragonball Super episode?"

I would replace it with an encore of Episode CI (S5E10) of Samurai Jack for one week only, but that's just me. If it premieres in [as] at 8 PM but DOESN'T air during Toonami that night (even if AFTER the Jack marathon at 4 AM), then I'd say we're most likely to get a power hour of DB Super on June 3rd beginning at 11 PM, maybe followed by a new show in the 11 PM hour on June 10th? My Hero Academia wasn't part of that poll but Mob Psycho 100 WAS. Plus, I never finished MP100 on FUNimation NOW, so that MIGHT be it.

Or perhaps the DB Hour just moves up on June 10th allowing Gundam to have a one-time power hour on June 10th? But 1:30 would be a shitty timeslot for IBO...anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens and how long Toonami manages to hang on to 11 PM--for now at least.

We should know tomorrow if June 3rd is just a 11pm-less regular lineup or something new (blanked out schedule)

Tomorrow also should have the Memorial Day marathon schedule finalized to include a 3:30 Jack (it still has Bob's Burgers there right now)

Either way it should indicate what they plan on doing with Super for those 2 weeks. It would be a disaster if somehow they let 8pm get ahead of  11:30, but I'd like to think they are smarter than that.

Personally I'm on the fence about whether I want to keep 11:00.  I'd like to see a new show in there (not a Jack rerun please), but not at the detriment of the block's ratings. I'm not sure if Toonami can survive with an 11:00 start time if there no new episodes of Jack. As far as Mob goes, I'd be fine with that one, but I really wish Toonami could go for something who's dub isn't already out in the wild (my term for illegal streaming sites :) )

Because I'm too lazy to search online for the OVA episode. That, plus I don't really like you. >:D

You've got to be one of the few people I can think of that would buy something out of spite.

Funimation - "For every Dimension W box set sold, we'll take away five dollars from starving children."

The schedule for June 3rd is out and it again is blanked out. However, I don't think it is correct at this point.

8:00 Dragonball Super Episode 21 (NEW) 11:00 Jack season 5, episode 2

Scary possibilities of Jack rerunning at 11 and Super's 8 getting ahead of Toonami's airing still loom, but I'm going to be positive and chalk it up to an error at this point.

It doesn't make sense at this point because if Jack was getting another run at 11, it would be at episode 1 again. So we'll just have to wait and see when it is finally updated.  We may be in for some kind of change they don't want us to know about yet. It is very possible that something could show up during upfronts next week. Whenever the press release comes out- check under new acquisitions, that's how we found out about IBO last year!

The actual marathon day schedule is still blanket out and incorrect at this point.

Never mind June 3rd, the thing we need to know is what's happening on May 27th at 8 PM. If we're getting an episode of Super that won't be on Toonami that night, it HAS to be on Toonami SOMETIME, and the best way to accomplish that (ratings be damned) would be a Super Power Hour at 11 PM on June 3rd.

Also, something interesting is happening with Hunter x Hunter: it's on episode 52 next week (5/20/17). Could it be that it takes a small break starting June 3rd in favor of another show, then comes back later in a better timeslot?

Also, something interesting is happening with Hunter x Hunter: it's on episode 52 next week (5/20/17). Could it be that it takes a small break starting June 3rd in favor of another show, then comes back later in a better timeslot?

I thought the episode number was an empty vessel.

Never mind June 3rd, the thing we need to know is what's happening on May 27th at 8 PM. If we're getting an episode of Super that won't be on Toonami that night, it HAS to be on Toonami SOMETIME, and the best way to accomplish that (ratings be damned) would be a Super Power Hour at 11 PM on June 3rd.

I think by sometime next week, the picture will become clearer. We're still at the part of the schedule that we normally wouldn't see. Currently the schedule shows an episode of Bob's at 3:30 on May 27th. We know now that it's wrong because the Jack marathon is going to 4AM.

What's weird is, there is no reason that June 3rd should be blanked out unless something is changing schedule wise. I don't think it would be big news if it was just Jack rerunning or Family Guy returning to 11:00 and the rest of the lineup staying the same. Something is probably happening that they still don't want us to know about. It's possible they want to save an announcement for either the Upfronts or maybe Momocon (but that's unlikely because it's only a week before).

HxH taking a break is a possibility I suppose if they only got 52 episodes in the initial batch, but this isn't an opportune time to do it right in the middle of an arc! Too long of a break and there may be an issue getting that audience back On the other hand, brining a long runner back after a break is a sort of cheat to get it a better timeslot!