UnevenEdge

Gundam Unicorn on Toonami this January... discuss.

Blatch

Well.... it's not IBO season 2 (which we'll probably get after Unicorn ends)  ;D

Welp. I wonder how the Gundam haters will feel about this. Also wonder how those who worry about space on the block will feel. Guess we do have a permanent Gundam slot now, regardless of IBO's mediocre performance.

I'm hardly surprised, when I heard Jason went to Sunrise Stidios again I had expected either this or Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky but I'm very pleased anyways. I watched halfway through the series recently and can say with great confident that this is a far superior Gundam series than IBO, just to put worries about that to rest. Unicorn also has a lot more action than IBO with a fight scene at least every ep, way more likable characters as well.

Well.... it's not IBO season 2 (which we'll probably get after Unicorn ends)  ;D

Welp. I wonder how the Gundam haters will feel about this. Also wonder how those who worry about space on the block will feel. Guess we do have a permanent Gundam slot now, regardless of IBO's mediocre performance.

I'll give DeMarco credit for sticking to the platitudes. He wants to make Gundam popular again, and even airing a mediocre series in the eyes of Toonami's fans won't dent his aspirations.

As for the poll, I picked Mob Psycho 100 if only because there's adequate evidence to suggest that it's already coming to the block.

If I could I would definitely throw in a vote for Lupin as well, keep Mob Psycho 100 away for a bit, I don't hate the show at all but it would just be such a predictable choice.

I'm gunning for Tokyo Ghoul as well, not because I think the show is good but it's been a while since there was a good hatewatch show.

It's very solid shounen. It's not exactly original for super hero stuff but it's unlike most shounen anime because of it.

As for Gundam Unicorn. I liked what I saw of the OVA (2 or 3 episodes I honestly forget) so I hope the TV cut is just as good or better.

At one point I figured they'd air UC between IBO seasons but when they were down to one rotating premiere slot I was of the mindset that they'd give Gundam a short break, well so much for that.

Definitely a vast improvement over IBO. I hope people give it a chance.

Is it really that bad, or is it just bland and unoriginal?

Because I can do bland and unoriginal.  I sat through Kekkaishi.

The latter.

And I remember when IBO debuted in subs and got good reviews across the board.  Toonami does make everything worse.

IBO? or Academia?

Oh, sorry. IBO, I meant.

I do like Hero Academia. It's not all that groundbreaking, but it's a solid series.

Although I'm glad for the anime's production values, it's almost  a shame the series is only 13 episodes at the moment. If it was a long-runner, it'd probably be doing a lot better.

i was sitting in my room, talking to myself and thinking about what series I'd like to see aired on Toonami. one of the first that came to mind was Unicorn Re:0096. then, less than an hour later, I go online to see....boom. wish granted.

I've seen Unicorn and I loved it, but I haven't seen the re-edits. should be interesting. I didn't want to like Unicorn, but it hooked me in and did not disappoint. Kshatriya is beautiful and the many throwbacks to previous UC series was a real treat.

It's neither, it's good! Bit of a slow start mind you, and the best material hasn't been animated yet, but still.

I've really (besides Jman) have heard nothing but good things about the show, but given how out of the loop I am with newer anime coming out, I just wanted to get second opinions. 

I don't really mind slow starts, so maybe I'll check this one out.

I own the first 4 OVA episodes of Unicorn, and when I learned that Re:0096 was a thing, I always wondered where OVA 4 ended and OVA 5 began; well now I guess it doesn't matter!

Just for the record, if Hellsing Ultimate were to get a TV adaptation  (perhaps replacing Drifters on Japanese TV??), that would also be 22 episodes!

Academia is great, what's not to like there? That final fight with All might was one of the best of the year.

Please tell me this Gundam is better than the IBO borefest... please.

Academia sucks and is Toonami editing out all the battles?  Because God, IBO was pretty good.  Granted I think Season 2 is pacing itself a lot better but still.

I make plenty sense. I'm not the one saying "Toonami makes shows bad" now. That doesn't make any sense and you know it. Hence why I said - You make no sense.

Pretty simple to grasp.

Anyway, I would prefer those two over Academia (one being I already saw Academia's dub in full and haven't for those two), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want Academia either.

It feels like the Toonami audience only wants ACTION ACTION ACTION.

Hence why DBZ and OPM do so well.

Gundam IBO has a lot of cooldown moments so that's probably not resonating well with the audience.

That and that it's also a mecha series and those don't tend to well here.

I would cite Voltron as evidence to the contrary but the Tumblrinas in that fandom don't care about the robot, which honestly pisses me off.

Slightly OT - the two things I want in season 2 are the fan girls "Space Dad" to be King Dead, and more giant robot fights.

And as said before, everyone skips Phantom Blood.

I wouldn't put it past the simple public to become utterly confused once Phantom Blood turns into Battle Tendency or when IBO ends and gets replaced with Unicorn.

They're all gonna be like "A-DUH??? Wat happendz to da characterz-herp- nuh uh, no way" *turns tv off*.

Academia sucks and is Toonami editing out all the battles?  Because God, IBO was pretty good.  Granted I think Season 2 is pacing itself a lot better but still.

No, Academia isn't bad at all.

And no they are not editing out battles. IBO's problem isn't even the frequency of battles IMO. It's boring and it spends a lot of time talking yet doesn't do a great job of fleshing out most of it's characters or giving me a reason to care. For the general audience the lack of battles might be a problem but the general audience stuck around for Michiko & Hatchin. If IBO's character interactions and story were more gripping then it probably would hold more of the audience because it has some genuinely cool moments and Mika is a welcome change of pace from the typical mopey Gundam protagonist. But everything else is decidedly lukewarm all around IMO.

There's nothing magical about it airing on Toonami that made IBO worse it was always just this mediocre IMO. Or at least it quickly became mediocre after a decent and promising start.

I'm okay with this.

Gundam Unicorn was great (and gorgeously animated).

BTW, has anyone here seen Re: 0096?

The OVA's were 7 60-minute episodes, so in my brain that translates to a single-cour TV series...but there's 22 episodes? How much new material is there and how's it paced compared to the OVA?

Yup, it got recut into a 22 episode run in Japan so that they could air it on TV after the last OVA came out.

Yeah, Academia is cool, and getting more eps so it might have a shot some day.

At least there's a 4-week break between the end of IBO S1 and the beginning of Unicorn Re:0096. Going from the end of JoJo Phantom Blood to the beginning of Battle Tendencies in one freaking night is just plain absurd, unless there's something about Episode 10 of JoJo I don't know yet...

Yeah, definitely looks like they want to get to the second arc quicker if they are fast-tracking it.

Now, what was this DeMarco said about there being a permanent Gundam slot...?

15178100_1679238549033652_845972949213862385_n.jpg?oh=796684e9c1b374c1ac68b09f882d1a8b&oe=58CF0268

Well then.

Just as I predicted and warned about, Demarco got the permanent Gundam slot he wished for.  Thus, the block will be long-runners and Gundam from here on out.  Bleh.

Where are they going to fit any other new shows?

...They could have at least played Build Fighters instead.  That show is the Yugioh of Gundam and has cute girls in it.

I guess DeMarco enjoys low ratings.  He should at least stick it way late in the block.

He claimed IBO "did well for them."  True, by their standards, I guess, it still did okay enough for them, but it still did much worse ratings than previous shows in that slot and caused the shows afterward to get lower ratings, meaning less people watching Toonami and lower ratings for the block overall so Demarco can get his Gundam fanboy fap fix.