UnevenEdge

Joe’s not running in 2024

SwimOdin

It probably was anyway.  Manchin was in an untenable situation to begin with and he didn't make it any better by playing spoiler in the name of "moderation."   Having a Democrat in a deep red state isn't as useful as having a Democrat flip a seat in an purple or blue state, and this decision helps in that regard.

3 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Manchin was in an untenable situation to begin with and he didn't make it any better by playing spoiler in the name of "moderation."

His problem (and Sinema's to a lesser degree) is that there is simply no more needle to thread in federal politics anymore outside of maybe Alaska.

5 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

His problem (and Sinema's to a lesser degree) is that there is simply no more needle to thread in federal politics anymore outside of maybe Alaska.

That would be the untenable situation, yes.  At the same time, there is a lot he could have done to make the Democrats' reinvestment priorities sellable to his unique constituency that he didn't do because of his personal priorities.  The end result of him leaving was inevitable no matter what he did, he just didn't make it easier on himself or his caucus by going about it the way he did.

Sinema, on the other hand, had more leeway.  You only have to look at her fellow in-state Senator to see how to navigate Arizona politics as a Democrat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raptorpat said:

"Ask not what the country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country. And I said, 'Can I screw it over as much as possible in exchange for copious amounts of money?' and my answer was, 'Why yes, I do believe I can. It would be my honor.' "

Edited by naraku360
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

The end result of him leaving was inevitable no matter what he did, he just didn't make it easier on himself or his caucus by going about it the way he did.

I think he genuinely believed he had to play that role to win and only now decided it wouldn't work.

But either way I wonder if his voting activity changes at all now that he's not formally constrained by that factor anymore.

10 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I think he genuinely believed he had to play that role to win and only now decided it wouldn't work.

But either way I wonder if his voting activity changes at all now that he's not formally constrained by that factor anymore.

That’s a comforting thought…

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

To an extent, but he also did not hide the fact that he was protecting his coal interests and that did significant damage to his reputation.  If anything, he's going to be more nakedly protective of his interests.

6 hours ago, SwimOdin said:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/09/politics/joe-manchin-wont-run-for-reelection/index.html

Manchin, that is. Not sure how to feel about this one. I’ve never been a fan of his, but in the vacuum of him leaving the senate, it’s probably going to go to a republican.

To be honest, there have been times where it felt like it already had when he's been in office.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seight said:

To be honest, there have been times where it felt like it already had when he's been in office.

The best part is he wants to tour the country looking for moderates who would conceivably be the Republicans left behind by Trump.  Hope he’s stocked up on wintergreen mints.

• Haha 2