UnevenEdge

ITN: Israel

Master-Debater131

In all seriousness, we don’t talk enough about extremism in Israel.  They’re as much a threat to Jews around the world as Hamas is and its actors like Tsav 9 that put everyday Israeli citizens in an untenable situation.

No no MD is right Hamas is stopping aide from reaching those that need it but so is Israel’s military and bat shit banana settlers that kill Palestinians at will. The IDF will completely ignore mobs of settlers attacking Palestinian homes and people. They ignore them blocking entrances as well. 

I agree with MD that those hailing and praising Hamas are fuckin dumb as shit cuz they absolutely are brutal to the people they claim to protect. The Palestinians basically have no one looking out for them at all. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

No no MD is right Hamas is stopping aide from reaching those that need it but so is Israel’s military and bat shit banana settlers that kill Palestinians at will. The IDF will completely ignore mobs of settlers attacking Palestinian homes and people. They ignore them blocking entrances as well. 

I agree with MD that those hailing and praising Hamas are fuckin dumb as shit cuz they absolutely are brutal to the people they claim to protect. The Palestinians basically have no one looking out for them at all. 

The problem is md sees all Palestinians as hamas, especially the children. That way she can pretend they aren't humans and not feel bad about the fucked up shit she supports that happens to them.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, stilgar said:

The problem is md sees all Palestinians as hamas, especially the children. That way she can pretend they aren't humans and not feel bad about the fucked up shit she supports that happens to them.

I agree with this part. That seems to be true. Idk about the rest of the statement though. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I agree with this part. That seems to be true. Idk about the rest of the statement though. 

I don’t think anyone doesn’t feel bad about the fucked up things that are happening.

• Thanks 1

Some big caveats with this one. Its well known that there are tunnels between Gaza and Egypt. The question really is if these are functioning or not. Egypt fully militarized their border with Gaza and flooded a ton of these tunnels with sea water and sewage to render them useless. So the real question is, are any of these still in use? If there were active tunnels between Egypt and Gaza that raises a whole ton of questions.

2 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Wipe Hamas Out.

This also is further proof that most, if not all, of the remaining hostages are likely dead.

I’m all for wiping out Hamas but not at the expense of the lives of the innocent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I’m all for wiping out Hamas but not at the expense of the lives of the innocent 

We've gone around on this a lot. I agree in principal, in practice its very tough to achieve when Hamas intentionally uses civilians as human shields.

The only hope for the long term peace and prosperity of Gaza and Israel is for Hamas to be wiped out. The IDF absolutely must finish the job.

9 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

We've gone around on this a lot. I agree in principal, in practice its very tough to achieve when Hamas intentionally uses civilians as human shields.

The only hope for the long term peace and prosperity of Gaza and Israel is for Hamas to be wiped out. The IDF absolutely must finish the job.

Yes Hamas does use human shields.  Their own rockets destroyed a hospital in Gaza because they use places like that as military installations HOWEVER Israel pulls the trigger every time. The IDF is full of forced to serve soldiers who have no business in the military, period.  

Too many Israeli government officials proudly say genocidal things and when leaders say disgusting things the people start doing disgusting things. Remember all the incendiary things Trump said and how that definitely empowered supremacists to do violence?  This is no different. 

Are there challenges that Israel faces fighting an enemy like Hamas?  Yes, but the answer isn’t to sink lower. 

Look, I didn’t like the reactions from people immediately following the attack on Israel. Immediately people were justifying the attacks. It was gross but now it’s impossible to defend a nation that’s just rolling over an entire population of civilians. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again:  Israel lost the chance to wipe out Hamas a long time ago.

Here's the best analogy I can come up with - Hamas is like a cancer.  In theory, it makes sense to blast a tumor with radiation, toxic chemicals, outright surgery, and anything else destructive to the human body you can think of in the hopes that a nuclear option is the best way to kill the cancer cells quickly and thoroughly so that the body can recover cancer-free.  What ended up happening, however, was that cancer cells were no so easy to defeat and that, after all the destructiveness of radiation and chemo, the cells came back.  Similarly, and frustratingly, Israel's campaign to destroy everything and anything in the vicinity of a Hamas command post was always done with the intention of taking out as many Hamas leaders in one destructive shot as possible.  The sheer stupidity of it is that, of course, Hamas always knew how Israel's playbook because of how often they employ it - and they've had the added benefit of years of isolation within Gaza to develop an infrastructure to move their fighters around quickly and efficiently in the event of a rocket attack.

For years, cancer studies have shown how a more nuanced and target response to the disease, including changes to how humans live without the diease, have done more to effectively treat and impprove the recurrence rate than any one medical "tool."  The single grain of truth in the notion that Hamas had a "right" to murder innocent Jews is the understanding that oppressive circumstances tend to strip the humanity out of the people being oppressed.  Yes, eliminating the walls around Gaza would have allowed Hamas more of a free rein to attack and murder Jews, but you still ended up losing thousands of innocent lives with the wall so it's hard to suggest that wall improved anyone's chances of surviving a Hamas attack.  More importantly, the isolation stripped Israel of a vital connection with Palestinians who were not radicalized and had no reason to call for the destruction of Israel.  Like a change of diet to body friendly foods, a change in approach to the Palestinians allows them to function as a healthy body and gives Israel a much needed tool to root out extremism from the inside.

We are now at a point where Hamas can't be rooted out by any possible means.  The cancer has spread into the blood stream of Palestinian society, and no amount of bombing, raiding, or murdering is going to be large enough to eliminate them.  Even if you wipe Palestine off the maps, Hamas will still exist in the disenfranchised and displaced people that survive.  And, it all came about because Israel worked too hard to distance themselves from the Palestinians and not hard enough to incorporate them.

• Thanks 1

And. for what it's worth, the United States has a hand in this.  We didn't push Israel to be more proactive when we needed to, and now we're living with the results in a time when antisemitism is at an all time high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2024 at 7:46 AM, 1pooh4u said:

I get your frustration with Biden.  There's nothing outrageous about accusing a sitting politician of a war crime when he's obviously using a war to protect his political interests.

• Like 3

Also, this from Salman Rushdie.

I don't particularly think Palestinians will turn to a Taliban style rule if a state is created for them, but his words do have some merit.  Creating an independent Palestine will take a lot of work from the US, its European partners, and the middle east powers of SA and the UAE.  Terrorist organizations like the Taliban and Hamas thrive on dysfunctional, underfunded, and leadership bereft governments.  For all those student activists out there focusing on defunding:  it would be a far better idea for student activists to focus effort on encouraging their universities and their financial partners in investing in Palestine rather than divesting in Israeli companies.

This isn't to suggest that students should stop protesting Israel or call for a complete cease fire.  Hostilities have to stop now, regardless of what happens next.  Framing the aftermath in terms of reconstruction allows for more constructive dialog on rebuilding the Levant as a more stable environment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IDF rescues four hostages from Hamas captivity in daring Gaza operation

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-805424

What absolutely incredible news today. 4 hostages were rescued, including Noa Argamani. She was supposedly "lost" by Hamas and was not going to be included in any sort of peace deal.  Absolutely amazing that they pulled this off. Not only did they rescue the 4 hostages, but they killed between 40-100 Hamas terrorists as well. The hostages were being held in civilian homes, not even in tunnels. Hamas also shot at the hostages as they were being rescued.

Unfortunately one IDF solder died during the operation. But he will go down as a hero for helping to get these people home and wiping out more Hamas savages.

Well done Israel. Keep going!

Posted (edited)

While it's good some hostages got rescued, the IDF committed perfidy - they hit soldiers in aid trucks. Which is a war crime. It doesn't set a great precedent though the amount of collateral has itself been a terrible precedent.

IDF is willing to violate any ethical boundary at this point and that should be tempering this news. 

Edited by matrixman124
  • Like 5

At this point, she's kinda as bad as jongo was about completely ignoring anything that doesn't line up with the point she's making pushing and utterly refusing to even acknowledge it, let alone engage with it.

It ain't even about "you're just biased against Israel and only looking at bad things" or whatever. Anyone with half a brain is beginning to recognize maybe supporting their actions isn't a great look.

• Thanks 3

Al Jazeera journalist, physician father, held Noa Argamani hostage, Palestinians say

https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rjwzufmr0#autoplay

Because this apparently needs to be said.

If you are holding a hostage in your house, you are not a civilian

If you are guarding that hostage so they cannot escape, you are not a civilian

If you actively work with Hamas to conceal the location of a hostage, you are not a civilian,

And, this is a big one here, if your first reaction upon hearing that the IDF is launching a raid to rescue a hostage is to run to that location with the specific goal of interfering or stopping that operation, you are not a civilian.

This also is a good reminder that none of this would be happening if Hamas were to surrender. All of the suffering is completely the fault of Hamas. Want it to end? Demand Hamas surrender and release the hostages.

I won’t go the route of suggesting saving 4 citizens is not worth the death of 94 civilians, only because that’s an attempt to falsely use logic to solve a problem with no equitable solution.  All anyone really needs to know about this is that Benny Gatz still left the war cabinet after the rescue was announced, and that it was most likely an acknowledgment that his approval rating would continue to suffer by supporting Netanyahu’s war.  Losing the comparatively popular opposition leader from his war operation also sheds any remaining legitimacy Netanyahu had with the Israeli electorate concerning this bungled war.  That is not what happens when a military maneuver is considered a success.  In fact, it looks very much like evidence that those with the best vantage point concur with Biden’s assessment of Netanyahu’s personal ambitions.

• Like 3

On 6/9/2024 at 10:49 PM, scoobdog said:

I won’t go the route of suggesting saving 4 citizens is not worth the death of 94 civilians, only because that’s an attempt to falsely use logic to solve a problem with no equitable solution.

Well, yeah, I just think the "Keep up the fantastic job IDF! Just amazing work," was in remarkably poor taste, even by the standards of someone as grotesque as MD.

Netanyahu doesn't care about saving people and he's made that publicly known. I'm being critical of MD only hearing one side of the doublespeak to avoid acknowledgment of how horrible the other is, not to suggest saving 4 people wasn't worth doing. He would've been just as satisfied if he saved none of them, MD knows he would've had no qualms killing all the hostages, and she would've huffed his ass for the exact same incident had none survived since all she cares about is indiscriminate carnage.

• Thanks 1

All this pearl clutching by people over the successful hostage rescue really says a lot.

There's also the rather inconvenient fact that the easiest way to not get killed like this is to not hold hostages in your house, not fight against rescuers, and the biggest one of all, not taking hostages in the first place.

• D'oh 1

The IDF has released some video of the successful rescue operation. Its some remarkable video, and as expected it cuts right at the heart of the Hamas propaganda. Whats really great is the fist-bump moment. While taking fire the IDF soldier fist-bumps the hostage saying to stay calm that they are being rescued.

Truly a great rescue operation. I really hope we see more of these operations  in the coming days and weeks.