UnevenEdge

First FLCL Grunge reviews - IT STINKS!

Jman

I don’t think anyone needed to see more than the trailer to determine that this would be garbage. 

And if places like IGN and ANN are willing to have a “it’s bad” headline, it has to be REALLY bad. Nostalgiabait garbage will usually get a meh review at worst. 

Can’t wait to see Demarco do damage control on this for the next few months. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'll probably watch it but only because I'll probably still be awake for no good reason. I will say right up front that my eyes are angry at the animation just from the trailer alone. It looks disjointed and skittish.

At this rate, be sure to watch for 'Puberty Alien the Musical : Boy Band' featuring animation stolen directly from 'The Magical World of Gumball'. Which might actually be watchable then. Maybe. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, viperxmns said:

Is Alternative the strongest sequel series? Didn't rewatch all of the recent marathons but I wonder if that's the consensus

Absolutely. It feels like it's doing its own thing for most of the run, and it has a solid cast of characters. If it wasn't a FLCL series it'd be great, but it winds up getting bogged down in the end by some dumb "plot" nonsense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, viperxmns said:

Is Alternative the strongest sequel series? Didn't rewatch all of the recent marathons but I wonder if that's the consensus

Only because with a few small tweaks, it wouldn’t be FLCL at all, and rather a 6 episode teen girl drama. Haruko shows up periodically to do something wacky to remind you that you are watching FLCL, and then leaves to let the rest of the cast work. 

If Demarco wasn’t so dead set on desecrating the corpse of FLCL he would probably have a bundle of passable mini series. 

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

It's funny, because I thought FLCL Progressive was the more creative and artistic one, and Alternative just felt like a generic current year anime.

This new show... it has some funny parts.  Seems like the plot is on fast forward. 

But if next week is going to be going back and showing us previous events leading up to what just happened, and the rest of it is like that... In other words, if we just saw start of the climax, and we go back and see other events that took place prior, and then finish the climax, that will be annoying.   But I might be reading too much into the episode 2 promo.

I did not care for the art style and animation.  Even with it being computer generated, it wasn't very fluid.  At least it looked better than Rooster Teeth PS2 animation, not that that's saying much. 🤣 You could hardly call this a worthy successor to the original.

At least Haruko is hot and the music is good, though.

• Like 1