UnevenEdge

Predict Toonami in September/October 2023

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Ain’t talking about 15 years ago. Talking about 8-9 years ago, when this block was already completely obsolete. From what we hear from Demarco, sure they are always talking, but the same old conversations. Can we have JJK? No. Can we have Demon Slayer? No. Where are the talks about something they can actually afford? Clearly not happening since we don’t get anything. 

Again, you have literally no idea what other series Toonami has or hasn't pursued over the past few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Ain’t talking about 15 years ago. Talking about 8-9 years ago, when this block was already completely obsolete. From what we hear from Demarco, sure they are always talking, but the same old conversations. Can we have JJK? No. Can we have Demon Slayer? No. Where are the talks about something they can actually afford? Clearly not happening since we don’t get anything. 

What the hell are you babbling about!? Toonami was FAR from obsolete 8-9 years ago! Was streaming prevalent? Of course it was, but in those days, Toonami was still able to get the hot stuff, like Parasyte, JoJo, and Gundam. And they DID get Demon Slayer Season 1 just 4 short years ago, LESS than 4 in fact! It's really funny that the same group of people pining for Bleach TYBW and Demon Slayer Mugen Train and beyond also decry that they can't get anything but sequel series--they ARE sequel series! Acquiring them wouldn't solve the problem!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

What the hell are you babbling about!? Toonami was FAR from obsolete 8-9 years ago! Was streaming prevalent? Of course it was, but in those days, Toonami was still able to get the hot stuff, like Parasyte, JoJo, and Gundam. And they DID get Demon Slayer Season 1 just 4 short years ago, LESS than 4 in fact! It's really funny that the same group of people pining for Bleach TYBW and Demon Slayer Mugen Train and beyond also decry that they can't get anything but sequel series--they ARE sequel series! Acquiring them wouldn't solve the problem!

Not sure why people kept demanding bleach TYBW like it was gonna restore toonami to its forever glory 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Not sure why people kept demanding bleach TYBW like it was gonna restore toonami to its forever glory 

For anything that is not an exclusive premier, I do not see the numbers going up more than marginally. Even with a Priemer I am not sure how much better we will do. Will have to wait and see what AoT and Uzumaki do for us, I guess. Maybe AoT will see a decent uptick. Is it going to be the dub premier? 

Bleach did gang busters for Adult Swim Action and much of the Toonami viewership grew up on Bleach. It wouldn’t give Toonami more variety and wouldn’t get the block noticed much more than MHA does if it streamed first but it would probably do very well and having the dub premieres would have definitely drawn more attention back to Toonami. Probably more than Titan does because arguably more people watch Titan subbed than Bleach subbed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I’m really starting to think he is that guy from twitter with the meme demarco pfp that rants about how toonami is run by incompetent fools  the names are too similar and they act the same 

We decided this was probably the case a while ago, but personally, I don't mind it. It helps that he's seemingly a little less abrasive on here, and either way he provides some critical commentary I thought was missing from this place. Not everything has to be unicorns and rainbows, just as it wasn't back on the ASMB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Again, you have literally no idea what other series Toonami has or hasn't pursued over the past few years.

Considering the 2023 pickup catalog is sitting at 2 shows, I know the answer is not many. If that is NOT the answer, then that means Demarco is a colossal fuck up blowing deals left and right. I give even odds on either reason. 

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Getting shows doesn’t mean the block wasn’t obsolete. You could still stream almost anything Toonami aired long before they aired it. There were occasional exceptions, Space Dandy, the originals, but those were far from the norm. 

3 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

For anything that is not an exclusive premier, I do not see the numbers going up more than marginally. Even with a Priemer I am not sure how much better we will do. Will have to wait and see what AoT and Uzumaki do for us, I guess. Maybe AoT will see a decent uptick. Is it going to be the dub premier? 

Is anyone still sweating ratings in 2023? It’s interesting to look at them week to week, but we are so far beyond the stage of improving them. And really, if they are at this level and AS still hasn’t cancelled the block, ratings ain’t gonna be what gets the block cancelled. Bleach would surely nudge them up a little, and it would be a much healthier lead show than some rerun or the mess that Grunge looks like, but in the end, who cares? I’d rather Toonami actually be watchable over worrying about what number gets posted next to a show on Tuesday afternoon. Bleach improves block watchability. Would I prefer some fresh blood come in first? Yes, but we are also in a scenario where the beggar really can’t be picky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It is quite mysterious that there are no dubs yet for the 2nd cour of Bleach: TYBW, since it's about 2 weeks later than they appeared for the first cour, but perhaps some strike shenanigans are at play.

You do know that three dubbed episodes for this season are out already, right?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Is anyone still sweating ratings in 2023? It’s interesting to look at them week to week, but we are so far beyond the stage of improving them. And really, if they are at this level and AS still hasn’t cancelled the block, ratings ain’t gonna be what gets the block cancelled. Bleach would surely nudge them up a little, and it would be a much healthier lead show than some rerun or the mess that Grunge looks like, but in the end, who cares? I’d rather Toonami actually be watchable over worrying about what number gets posted next to a show on Tuesday afternoon. Bleach improves block watchability. Would I prefer some fresh blood come in first? Yes, but we are also in a scenario where the beggar really can’t be picky. 

I too would prefer the block getting shows that I personally want to watch on Toonami (most of what I like is not as popular as your typical battle shonen that brings in all the numbers) but the first step to getting more budget and shows is probably getting the numbers up.. The reason that streaming companies do not want to sub out licenses to us is because there is no business incentive to. We only get like what, 100k-200k viewers a Saturday now anyways?

Either way, the first step to getting more content would be getting the numbers up.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

I too would prefer the block getting shows that I personally want to watch on Toonami (most of what I like is not as popular as your typical battle shonen that brings in all the numbers) but the first step to getting more budget and shows is probably getting the numbers up.. The reason that streaming companies do not want to sub out licenses to us is because there is no business incentive to. We only get like what, 100k-200k viewers a Saturday now anyways?

Either way, the first step to getting more content would be getting the numbers up.. 

Ok fine, if the discussion is getting the numbers up, step one is getting SOMETHING on the lineup. The numbers are not going to shoot up by running reruns, 2 hours of OP/Naruto, or another unwanted FLCL. I even doubt Uzumaki will move the needle, especially if they go the sub premier route. 

Im not suggesting they air shows that intentionally tank the ratings. I’m just saying we are in a spot where getting them much lower will be as difficult as getting them much higher. If the Toonami audience will sit through Primal reruns over and over again and not have that choice crater viewership, I think it would be a genuine challenge picking a show that could bring the current ratings floor average lower. 

Part of the reason I don’t see a point in worrying about the ratings is because it’s a vicious cycle. No shows = shit ratings. Shit ratings = no budget. No budget = no shows. They have the power to make the needed change to get the numbers up, so not making that change leads me to believe they aren’t too stressed about Toonami ratings. That said, once Grunge starts, I assume they will care about that a little more since they paid to have it made. That’s gonna get compared with every other new AS show this year. 

It won’t be that hard for Grunge to do similar numbers to the other originals this year. Things are that abysmal.

The thing that frustrates me the most is even in their current financial struggle, WBD could easily afford whatever CR is asking for but they simply won’t bother. And if giving Toonami more money for acquisitions is a bridge too far then they could at least share more Max shows and much more of the DC library with Toonami so the block has something besides One Piece and Naruto to air next to these risky originals.

They demand Toonami be promoted but give them nothing much worth promoting. It makes no sense.

It feels like last year they saved up most of their budget to keep MHA though YashaHime might have been costly and Titan probably was as well. Is Dr. Stone the only big ticket for this year along with two Titan specials? They would have been in dire straits if WBD didn’t let them encore Unicorn and Supes.

I’m still willing to believe they have one more acquisition coming before next year but I can’t say I expect more than that.

Viz is sharing ZOM 100 with 3 services unlike Bleach. If Toonami doesn’t also get in on that action then it’s safe to say Toonami either lacks the budget, the interest or both for much of anything besides sequels and spin-offs of established brands. If they do get ZOM 100 (or something else) then maybe there’s a glimmer of hope we’ll see new acquisitions that aren’t sequels or spin-offs.

But man I really wonder why they didn’t get Urusei Yatsura from Sentai. It’s the kind of classic anime Toonami loves to introduce to their current audience. If that was too expensive for an unproven commodity but Food Wars 5th Plate wasn’t too expensive for a proven one then I don’t even know what to think of the how the network and WBD assess these things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

It won’t be that hard for Grunge to do similar numbers to the other originals this year. Things are that abysmal.

The thing that frustrates me the most is even in their current financial struggle, WBD could easily afford whatever CR is asking for but they simply won’t bother. And if giving Toonami more money for acquisitions is a bridge too far then they could at least share more Max shows and much more of the DC library with Toonami so the block has something besides One Piece and Naruto to air next to these risky originals.

They demand Toonami be promoted but give them nothing much worth promoting. It makes no sense.

It feels like last year they saved up most of their budget to keep MHA though YashaHime might have been costly and Titan probably was as well. Is Dr. Stone the only big ticket for this year along with two Titan specials? They would have been in dire straits if WBD didn’t let them encore Unicorn and Supes.

I’m still willing to believe they have one more acquisition coming before next year but I can’t say I expect more than that.

Viz is sharing ZOM 100 with 3 services unlike Bleach. If Toonami doesn’t also get in on that action then it’s safe to say Toonami either lacks the budget, the interest or both for much of anything besides sequels and spin-offs of established brands. If they do get ZOM 100 (or something else) then maybe there’s a glimmer of hope we’ll see new acquisitions that aren’t sequels or spin-offs.

But man I really wonder why they didn’t get Urusei Yatsura from Sentai. It’s the kind of classic anime Toonami loves to introduce to their current audience. If that was too expensive for an unproven commodity but Food Wars 5th Plate wasn’t too expensive for a proven one then I don’t even know what to think of the how the network and WBD assess these things.

WBD probably doesn’t think they should throw cash at crunchyroll to help out toonami for whatever reason instead they expect toonami to keep operating with a paltry skeleton crew and a lousy budget that gives them no bargaining power when they need new shows.    Nothing will change as long as Team David Z feels toonami isn’t worth investing more money into and I still have no idea why he’d be so hesitant to assist the block when like you said WBD initially had these big talks about the importance of toonami and promoted them on various  networks but then decided that’s all they were gonna do in terms of help 

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sketch said:

Primal managed to stay close or over 200k it’s entire run. We only saw a couple charted examples of UWE and MAWS, both at the mid 250k range, but based on how the 12:30 show did, aside from that night a few weeks ago with the double digits, seems like both were hanging in the 150-170k range. I have zero doubt in my mind Grunge can do worse than that. I expect it to start out like HCC with a passable first night, then crater. The bar might be low, but Grunge doesn’t have Genndy/DC power behind it either. 

12 hours ago, Sketch said:

I kind of wonder if Zaslav didn’t understand what Toonami was at the start. There is no arguing that Toonami’s advertising budget and reach expanded greatly once Zaslav took over. But then it’s like he found out that block has to license shows from someone else every 3-6 months and completely lost interest in supporting it. So now we are here with a block that still has a decent advertising budget (frequent bump refreshes, the ID animations, episode promos, a bit of new ship animation, etc) but nothing worth advertising. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Grunge also has the Attack On Titan special backing it up, so its first week is pretty sure to do well, but after that, double One Piece will probably be far less effective.

In an alternate reality, [as] gives up on anime and Toonami moves to TNT at 10 PM following AEW Collision. I'll bet whichever rerun airs then does fairly well right now...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Grunge also has the Attack On Titan special backing it up, so its first week is pretty sure to do well, but after that, double One Piece will probably be far less effective.

AoT was losing its ratings pull power multiple seasons ago, so I don’t expect the special to be much of a bump. Especially since this time it sat on the shelf for an extra 6 months so no doubt a chunk of fans just went out and watched it on their own time, either out of frustration of waiting or simply thinking Toonami would never air it due to their track record with airing specials. 

• Sad 1
  • D'oh 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

In an alternate reality, [as] gives up on anime and Toonami moves to TNT at 10 PM following AEW Collision. I'll bet whichever rerun airs then does fairly well right now...

Why does this board have a wrestling boner? 4chan, ResetEra, and all the other Toonami boards don't give a shit about wrestling and I don't. It feels like a meme for people in this board to randomly bring up AEWEIEIO or whatever that wrestling thing is the kids are into.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MCPissPants said:

Why does this board have a wrestling boner? 4chan, ResetEra, and all the other Toonami boards don't give a shit about wrestling and I don't. It feels like a meme for people in this board to randomly bring up AEWEIEIO or whatever that wrestling thing is the kids are into.

If you've ever been to an anime convention, you'd understand it falls under geek pop culture, and Turner/WBD recognizes the value of both.

• Like 3

Not everyone here likes wrestling (me personally I prefer MMA and boxing although I like pro wrestling casually) but there’s an overlap, not to mention AEW is a big show on a Turner network, so advertising there seems like it’s logical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think when it comes to stuff like Bleach, there is a sense of possessiveness from the hardcore Toonami audience.  That this is "our" show, that Toonami made it successful, and there's a feeling of betrayal when Viz decided to take that sweet Disney money to make it a Hulu exclusive.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jman said:

I think when it comes to stuff like Bleach, there is a sense of possessiveness from the hardcore Toonami audience.  That this is "our" show, that Toonami made it successful, and there's a feeling of betrayal when Viz decided to take that sweet Disney money to make it a Hulu exclusive.  

Toonami didn't make Bleach famous, though you could argue [as] ACTN did.

In fact, I would say it was ACTN's last major hit franchise, following in the footsteps of greats like Bebop, GITS, InuYasha and FMA. Yes, ACTN would have one more major hit show in FMA:B, but that was an extension of the FMA franchise.

What shows has Toonami made famous? Obviously there were DBZ, Naruto, and the Gundam franchise, but while it had a hand in the post-ACTN era in making AOT, SAO, One-Punch Man, Jojo, and Demon Slayer (Season 1) famous by airing their dub premieres, those shows were ALREADY made famous in part by subtitled streaming.

Just a different ball game then, and now that dub premieres are exceedingly rare--the big hits like MHA, YashaHime, and Dr. Stone had already streamed their dubs before coming to Toonami.

I believe even Made In Abyss Season 2 streamed its dub on Hi-Dive before it aired on Toonami, so I believe the AOT special actually marks only the 3rd dub premiere episode of the year so far, with the 1st the One Piece/DBZ/Toriko crossover episode from 3/4 and 2nd the world premiere of FLCL Grunge airing right before. That’s insane for 9/9! By this time last year, we'd at least had Lupin Part 6.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Toonami didn't make Bleach famous, though you could argue [as] ACTN did.

In fact, I would say it was ACTN's last major hit franchise, following in the footsteps of greats like Bebop, GITS, InuYasha and FMA. Yes, ACTN would have one more major hit show in FMA:B, but that was an extension of the FMA franchise.

What shows has Toonami made famous? Obviously there were DBZ, Naruto, and the Gundam franchise, but while it had a hand in the post-ACTN era in making AOT, SAO, One-Punch Man, Jojo, and Demon Slayer (Season 1) famous by airing their dub premieres, those shows were ALREADY made famous in part by subtitled streaming.

What we call Toonami today is just [as] ACTN with a different sticker on it. Now that ACTN is a thing of the past, Toonami gets the credit, especially since it did have about 1/4 of the series air under the Toonami banner. 

Jojo, AoT, SAO, Demon Slayer, stuff like that was already mega popular years before coming to Toonami. The block did little, if anything for them as they were already kings before showing up here. Things Toonami actually made an impact on were niche shows like Deadman and Dimension W. Did their run put those on the same level as the formerly listed shows? Absolutely not. But the Toonami run put what would normally be immediately forgotten seasonal shows into a lot of peoples memories. Impactful memories? Maybe not, but at least an “oh yea I did watch that one”. 

• Like 1

Season 1 of Attack on Titan was certainly popular but Toonami getting the dub premiere took it to the next level. Roughly the same is true for OPM season 1 but in both cases it was only season 1. I’d say Toonami also drew more casual interest to SAO and Toonami viewers and animation otaku are the only people who give Space Dandy its flowers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Season 1 of Attack on Titan was certainly popular but Toonami getting the dub premiere took it to the next level. Roughly the same is true for OPM season 1 but in both cases it was only season 1. I’d say Toonami also drew more casual interest to SAO and Toonami viewers and animation otaku are the only people who give Space Dandy its flowers.

Good assessment!

Hey, here's an idea: if Toonami's gonna air something from Sentai, how about Reincarnated as a Sword? The show is popular enough that they've actually managed to sell out their initial BD pressing. On top of that, it would help the block finally pop their isekai cherry and I hear it's anti-slavery! I'd definitely make an effort to watch this one if it popped up, and I'm normally averse to isekai.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Hey, here's an idea: if Toonami's gonna air something from Sentai, how about Reincarnated as a Sword? The show is popular enough that they've actually managed to sell out their initial BD pressing. On top of that, it would help the block finally pop their isekai cherry and I hear it's anti-slavery! I'd definitely make an effort to watch this one if it popped up, and I'm normally averse to isekai.

Contrary to the narrative that Sentai has nothing popular, they actually do have a handful of shows that had peoples attention.  I have asked the exact same question about Danmachi. Is 5 seasons, a spin off, and a theatre film not popular enough to catch Demarco’s eyes? RaaS would be a better choice since it’s so new, get in on the ground floor for an easier path to getting later seasons. 

But, as much as I think Toonami needs to be a slut for isekai, Demarco seems dead set on keeping the block a virgin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Demarco raped my dog and ate my baby. Son of a bitch deserves to die. Okay sarcasm. He's just a dude who operates a block on an obsolete medium called cable and it looks like he has to choose between shitty anime or none at all. If we did get shitty isekai on Toonami, there would probably still be tons of hate directed at the block.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MCPissPants said:

Demarco raped my dog and ate my baby. Son of a bitch deserves to die. Okay sarcasm. He's just a dude who operates a block on an obsolete medium called cable and it looks like he has to choose between shitty anime or none at all. If we did get shitty isekai on Toonami, there would probably still be tons of hate directed at the block.

It’s more that toonami cannot afford much of anything right now…it’s not about every anime sucks currently because that’s far from the truth

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

It’s more that toonami cannot afford much of anything right now…it’s now about every anime sucks currently because that’s far from the truth

We know Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer, and the good stuff is out of reach. What if Reincarnated as a Sword, Danmachi, and all those shows are also out of reach too? It might literally be at the point where the budget is "In Another World with My Smartphone or nothing at all."   That is quite the dilemma. 

• Like 1

We know Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer, and the good stuff is out of reach. What if Reincarnated as a Sword, Danmachi, and all those shows are also out of reach too? It might literally be at the point where the budget is "In Another World with My Smartphone or nothing at all."   That is quite the dilemma. 

That’s very unlikely….sounds like a very paranoid assumption 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

That’s very unlikely….sounds like a very paranoid assumption 

How do we know Crunchyroll doesn't charge an extra hefty fee for any anime with a MyAnimeList score above 7? That sounds like a Crunchyroll thing to do it exonerates Demarco. If Toonami can afford anime with MyAnimeList scores above 7, then what is stopping them? Demarco is on the hook if that is the case.

12 minutes ago, MCPissPants said:

How do we know Crunchyroll doesn't charge an extra hefty fee for any anime with a MyAnimeList score above 7? That sounds like a Crunchyroll thing to do it exonerates Demarco. If Toonami can afford anime with MyAnimeList scores above 7, then what is stopping them? Demarco is on the hook if that is the case.

There is no possible universe in which the score of a series on a random fan site would affect a broadcast contract.

Just now, Top Gun said:

There is no possible universe in which the score of a series on a random fan site would affect a broadcast contract.

But wacky conspiracy theories are fun. The CIA is covering up the real reason Toonami can't get shows. It's most likely they can literally afford absolutely nothing, not even a shitty isekai.

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I think blaming demarco for every toonami problem is stupid 

When the guy outright says he generally dislikes isekai, yea I think I’m gonna blame him when we don’t get any isekai. 

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I'd rather have an empty block than one full of isekai trash.

Trash or not, it’s the most popular genre in most recent seasons. Turning your nose up at the entire genre that is showing no signs of slowing in popularity as well as almost always ticks the “action” box is why so many people perceive this block as an out of date relic not worth their time. 

On 8/22/2023 at 8:03 AM, Toonamiguy321 said:

If they maintained good relations in the industry, they wouldn’t need a reason.

That's not how industry works. Sure a company might throw in a discount or free thing every now and then to encourage repeat business from a customer, but they're not stupid enough to keep giving free stuff to their friend when somebody else is willing to give them 40 sacks of gold and a blowjob for it.

I don't think Toonami really had anywhere near as many problems filling the block until about 3-4 years ago. Do you think there was maybe something that happened around early-mid 2020 that might have influenced stuidos' willingness to give their shows away for free or steep discounts? Maybe some massive, globe-spanning plague that effected basically every industry on the planet and is still impacting workflow to this day? Gee, I sure can't think of any reason why, in the wake of something like, oh I dunno a pandemic, a for-profit company would decide to prioritize higher payouts from one platform over a friendly but overall less lucrative contract with another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Jason Demarco has not been the team captain of toonami for quite sometime now so I don’t know why you think despite him getting promoted and  Gill austin being the captain that he calls the shots 

How many times do we have to do this? Demarco very clearly stated he is still involved when it comes to picking and acquiring shows. Every other problem the block has falls on Gill. Which thinking about it, around the time Demarco said Gill was in charge is about the same time bumpers stopped going 10 months without change, so it seems he may actually be an upgrade in that respect. 

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

That's not how industry works. Sure a company might throw in a discount or free thing every now and then to encourage repeat business from a customer, but they're not stupid enough to keep giving free stuff to their friend when somebody else is willing to give them 40 sacks of gold and a blowjob for it.

I don't think Toonami really had anywhere near as many problems filling the block until about 3-4 years ago. Do you think there was maybe something that happened around early-mid 2020 that might have influenced stuidos' willingness to give their shows away for free or steep discounts? Maybe some massive, globe-spanning plague that effected basically every industry on the planet and is still impacting workflow to this day? Gee, I sure can't think of any reason why, in the wake of something like, oh I dunno a pandemic, a for-profit company would decide to prioritize higher payouts from one platform over a friendly but overall less lucrative contract with another.

Nowhere in my post was the word “free” used. I’m not expecting handouts here, but if there were partnerships, distributors could help the block find shows in their catalog within their budget. 

And what kind of bizzaro mental gymnastics are you trying to work here to tie the blocks disastrous state in 2023 to the pandemic? 2020? 2021? Ok. Both of those years were better than 2023, but yes, somehow the pandemic that is in the rear view for most people is why 2023 Toonami sucks. 

Now is as good a time as any to remind the class that Toonami had THREE timeslot cuts in 2020 before Covid was official. Plague or no plague, this block was losing a lot of meat in 2020. 

• Confused 1