UnevenEdge

What do you think the show tied up in Japan is?

We are kinda stuck here twiddling our thumbs for the next week or two while we wait to hopefully see a new show announcement for the block. He claims it’s tied up on the Japan side, and despite his gaslighting on the topic, is an issue we have never seen before. So, what’s everyone’s guesses for what it might be? 

For me, I’m going with FLCL Grunge. Something actually being worked on in Japan for Toonami makes the most sense for having a Japan side delay. Wouldn’t want to announce it if it’s not ready to air. 

For a non original guess, I’ll go with Bleach. It’s a longshot because of its Disney ties, but the Japan side might be trying to help AS out with a loophole to sneak it onto cable. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

It's obviously Attack on Titan: The Last Last One Forever and Ever (For Real This Time) (We Fucking Mean It). There's gotta be a reason it hasn't even gotten its simuldub release announced yet, and that seems the most likely answer.

We need to call it that from here on out.

• Haha 6

22 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Except that this will apparently be "Attack on Titan: The Next-To-Last One Forever and Ever (For Real This Time) (We Fucking Mean It)!!" 🤣

Nah, the title's right. The second half of the grand finale is titled "The Greatest Story Ever Told".

[and you can read more about it in the bibble]

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

It's obviously Attack on Titan: The Last Last One Forever and Ever (For Real This Time) (We Fucking Mean It). There's gotta be a reason it hasn't even gotten its simuldub release announced yet, and that seems the most likely answer.

Could be, but it seems strange to hype it up when it’s going to be gone the very next week. At which point, we would start asking what replaces Food Wars. 

• Like 1

Another possibility that probably is a deal they would make directly with a Japanese company… Lupin Zero. Yes it’s only 6 episodes but I still expect them to be interested and so far no dub has streamed.

Or maybe they went to Sunrise directly to plead their case for Witch from Mercury because CR isn’t budging on their own.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Or maybe they went to Sunrise directly to plead their case for Witch from Mercury because CR isn’t budging on their own.

I could see it, Demarco loves to tell the fans they will never get a show then still bust their ass trying to get it when now a bunch of people probably watched it elsewhere. Sunrise is also known to be cooperative, but at the same time not easy to work with. 

Lupin would be weird being tied up since we know Sentai is cooperative so they don’t necessarily need to sidestep them. TMS hasn’t given them a hard time in the past either. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Clearly something about bondage.

Holy shit, Sweet Punishment on Toonami!

8 hours ago, Sketch said:

Another possibility that probably is a deal they would make directly with a Japanese company… Lupin Zero. Yes it’s only 6 episodes but I still expect them to be interested and so far no dub has streamed.

I heard that one of the episodes of that show has a lot of topless women. Seems likely that this is an outcropping of it being a web OVA, which might complicate the rights further. I wonder if S&P would balk at that? It might fly for a normal 12-episode show, but this is only half the length so it might feel like more effort to them. Or maybe I'm just running my mouth off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

It's that one about girls that fight with their butts. 

It would get people talking about Toonami, that’s for sure. We are at the point where any publicity is good publicity, so if Buttack on Titan will get the job done, so be it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Unbreakable Machine-Doll and Keijo are both two fun, solid one cour series.  They would fit right in on Toonami, and Demarco should get them, since he can't get anything new!

Or be should replay all of SAO, Black Clover, InuYasha -> Final Act -> Yashahime, or all of Attack on Titan, or My Hero Academia.

Also get the Gun Gale Online spin-off you skipped.  It's not written by Reki, and the author even makes fun of himself in the show (that weird guy who likes writing stories about cute girls guns a blazing or something is mentioned in the show 🤣,) so even SAO haters would probably like it!

It has GREAT action too!  Come on, Demarco, don't be a pussy, and air this show with a cute little pink girl going on rampages!

Edited by ben0119

7 hours ago, Blatch said:

Holy shit, Sweet Punishment on Toonami!

Nah, it's clearly either MM! or Doreiku. :P

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Also get the Gun Gale Online spin-off you skipped.  It's not written by Reki, and the author even makes fun of himself in the show (that weird guy who likes writing stories about cute girls guns a blazing or something is mentioned in the show 🤣,) so even SAO haters would probably like it!

It has GREAT action too!  Come on, Demarco, don't be a pussy, and air this show with a cute little pink girl going on rampages!

I remember back when it had first gotten dubbed and the ADR director claimed that Toonami probably didn't go for it due to the issue of gun violence in America, and thinking that was the stupidest reason anyone had ever given for why Toonami would turn down a show. Even "Demarco doesn't like it" is more understandable!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Nah, it's clearly either MM! or Doreiku. :P

I remember back when it had first gotten dubbed and the ADR director claimed that Toonami probably didn't go for it due to the issue of gun violence in America, and thinking that was the stupidest reason anyone had ever given for why Toonami would turn down a show. Even "Demarco doesn't like it" is more understandable!

I believe it though. That’s not just some rando making a claim, there’s no reason an ADR director would go say something like that if there wasn’t some level of truth to it. And we know the guy loves to virtue signal anytime he gets the chance. Don’t forget, we very narrowly avoided him saddling us with Yuri on Ice. 

• D'oh 1

13 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

It would get people talking about Toonami, that’s for sure. We are at the point where any publicity is good publicity, so if Buttack on Titan will get the job done, so be it.

I read that first as 'Buttcrack on Titan' and thought it would be a new space fighting anime. Butt Wars - in Space!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Whatever, I still think Von David was acting moronic when he said that, especially with all the firearms-heavy shows [as] had aired in the past.

Someone made that exact point to him, and he pointed out that the landscape had changed between then and that point in time. If I remember right, there had been a prolific shooting right around the time he had made those comments about GGO. 

Looking back at our recent years, we haven’t had many gun heavy shows either. Plenty of shows where guns are present, but not where they are such a primary focus. Best I can think of is AssClass, which has been a target of controversy since it’s release, but that was also a Covid emergency pickup, so we probably never would have seen it otherwise. 

I just find it strange for him to throw Demarco under the bus like that unprovoked. He could have just said nothing and that would have been the end of it, Toonami rarely picks up spin offs so it would not have been strange to never see it air. Instead, he redirected everyone to go be mad at Demarco, which makes it feel like they may have been working out a deal and Demarco pulled out and made him upset. 

Idk, it’s all speculation. I just don’t believe cast blame on someone by name for no reason at all. 

5 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

I read that first as 'Buttcrack on Titan' and thought it would be a new space fighting anime. Butt Wars - in Space!

At first I saw Bukkake on Titan and thought Toonami was about to take an odd turn.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Whatever, I still think Von David was acting moronic when he said that, especially with all the firearms-heavy shows [as] had aired in the past.

Censorship is admittedly in the eye of the beholder.  Remember how Beware the Batman went to laser guns after the Colorado theater shooting?  Sometimes it’s the political climate rather than any personal preference.  That being said, we have no way to verify if the claim is true or not.

30 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

whatever the show is...This Japanese Production company doesn't want toonami to have it anytime soon

I’ll be pretty surprised if the show isn’t one of the FLCL seasons. I don’t think this is a case of “grrrr Toonami stinky you cant announce the show >:(“ but rather a “stall for time guys it’s not done yet”. 

I believe next week Adult Swim is doing their upfront panels. That should shed some light on the FLCL sequels (which Demarco has implied are still on track), as well as Uzumaki (which Demarco has implied might miss the mark again this year). If they announce next week, that’s roughly 3 weeks of promotion, which is about right for an AS original project. 

4 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I’ll be pretty surprised if the show isn’t one of the FLCL seasons. I don’t think this is a case of “grrrr Toonami stinky you cant announce the show >:(“ but rather a “stall for time guys it’s not done yet”. 

I believe next week Adult Swim is doing their upfront panels. That should shed some light on the FLCL sequels (which Demarco has implied are still on track), as well as Uzumaki (which Demarco has implied might miss the mark again this year). If they announce next week, that’s roughly 3 weeks of promotion, which is about right for an AS original project. 

i don't think the show tied up in Japan is an original

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

Nothing else makes sense to be this tied up on the Japanese side. An issue that in 11 years of this block we have never seen. The only acquired show I could see it for would be Witch from Mercury, but Demarco already told people that wasn’t happening.

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Absolutely. It really makes zero sense for an original to be tied up in Japan. Could be many different shows that are 'tied up'. Might be another show that is still airing? Who knows haha 

I am surprised that we got Dr. Stone as fast as we are, considering that is still airing. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

9 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Absolutely. It really makes zero sense for an original to be tied up in Japan. Could be many different shows that are 'tied up'. Might be another show that is still airing? Who knows haha 

I am surprised that we got Dr. Stone as fast as we are, considering that is still airing. 

“Tied up” isnt well defined. It could be a contract or legal issue giving them trouble, or it could be a production issue. We know for a fact that the FLCL seasons are being worked on in Japan. It absolutely can be a production issue that is preventing them from making an announcement. 

Remember, they are supposed to air this year, and half of it is already gone. They have to be announced soon to fit into 2023. Even sooner if Uzumaki actually makes the cut this year.

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

“Tied up” isnt well defined. It could be a contract or legal issue giving them trouble, or it could be a production issue. We know for a fact that the FLCL seasons are being worked on in Japan. It absolutely can be a production issue that is preventing them from making an announcement. 

Remember, they are supposed to air this year, and half of it is already gone. They have to be announced soon to fit into 2023. Even sooner if Uzumaki actually makes the cut this year.

I mean anything is possible when it comes to [as] haha 

I just get the feeling that the show they are talking about is an acquisition and not a development problem but who knows. Just my gut. 

18 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

I mean anything is possible when it comes to [as] haha 

I just get the feeling that the show they are talking about is an acquisition and not a development problem but who knows. Just my gut. 

I’m just at a loss for acquisition possibilities that would have this much involved labor on the Japan side. Like I said in the OP, maybe Bleach? Not because Viz isn’t cooperative, but because so many fingers are in that pie. 

Just nothing else really sticks out as meeting two criteria. 1, something that would require direct involvement from the Japanese side, and 2, something Demarco would actually be interested in. If he hadn’t shot down Gundam, I’d be certain it was that. 

I guess under super longshot idea could be a world premiere project like we got with Space Dandy. I don’t think a deal like that would go down in 2023, but it fits with what we know. Not an original, but something Toonami gets first rights to. 

It’s admittedly a sign of the times that when Toonami can’t get a Gundam series, it ends up being crazy popular.  Reminds me of 2008 when Adult Swim Action was airing Kekkaishi and SyFy was airing Gundam 00.  SyFy won.

On 5/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Nothing else makes sense to be this tied up on the Japanese side. An issue that in 11 years of this block we have never seen. The only acquired show I could see it for would be Witch from Mercury, but Demarco already told people that wasn’t happening.

Didn't he say that 3 months ago though? A lot can change in 3 months!

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, but what changed was that Witch from Mercury powered the Gundam franchise to record profits and the show has become very popular on Crunchyroll.  They're not sharing.

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

You really think Crunchytroll is seeing a cent of that?

Well if they sell Gunpla and additional merchandise being Right Stuff or their other stores they get a cut, not to mention any potential performance bonuses for streaming traffic.  Then there’s the fact that they do have an exclusivity window in territories CR operates at which point GundamOfficial on YouTube posts the episodes, so I’m going to say…yes.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Even if it could, Demarco publicly talked shit to Crunchyroll for not allowing them to air it. That’s not the way you convince an already hostile company to share a successful product with you. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Even if it could, Demarco publicly talked shit to Crunchyroll for not allowing them to air it. That’s not the way you convince an already hostile company to share a successful product with you. 

Didn't He Say The Japanese Production Company is the party that makes the decision?

They Got MHA Most Likely due to that and not because crunchyroll felt generous

Edited by CountFrylock

8 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Funny, the Gundam with the most annoying MC raking in the biggest $$$.

Hide contents

I stand by this statement.

You leave Suletta alone.  She never hurt a soul…

Spoiler

That didn’t have it coming.

9 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Didn't He Say The Japanese Production Company is the party that makes the decision?

They Got MHA Most Likely due to that and not because crunchyroll felt generous

Someone pointed out that Crunchyroll dropped the Witch from Mercury dub without a word, and he made a quip about if HE got it, Toonami would have made a big deal about it. 

And remember, this is the same guy who just tossed Dr Stone S3 announcement on Facebook without a word making everyone think it was a mistaken reveal. But he totes would have done better for Gundam, promise. 

• Like 1