UnevenEdge

Warner Bros Discovery planning to write off another $2.5, no, $3.3 billion in programming

Jman

I think what they are saying here is the stuff they have already written off amounts of 2.5 billion. Which to the people asking why writing stuff off is an option they are taking, here is your answer. 

The concerning part is the 4.3 billion in restructuring costs. So they wrote off all that stuff, and they are still in the hole. So we gotta wonder where that other 2.2 billion is gonna come from. The write off options are starting to dwindle. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

There is, and even they hate season 2.

To be fair, the writers of Season 2 seemed to hate the fans as well, fans of mecha anime in particular.

There’s literally an arc that amounts to “super robot anime are sexist and toxic” and admitting they suck is how a character gets over their toxic masculinity.

And he dies five minutes later.

Given Rooster Teeth runs into a new controversy every other week it seems, slicing the entire department and just giving RWBY to SHAFT to reboot properly would be the best thing to happen for all parties involved.

4 hours ago, Jman said:

Anyway, looks like reporters are saying this is an additional $2-$2.5 billion

I guess we can take some comfort that there is barely anything else on AS that can fall victim to this. At worst maybe Uzumaki is cancelled (as if we were ever going to get it anyway), and if luck is on our side, maybe those new FLCL seasons get the axe before they tarnish the franchise name further. 

• Sad 1
  • D'oh 1

7 hours ago, Jman said:

There’s literally an arc that amounts to “super robot anime are sexist and toxic” and admitting they suck is how a character gets over their toxic masculinity.

And he dies five minutes later.

And here TV Tropes was making me think that killing off that guy after having him come out as bisexual was the only issue with his, y'know, being killed off.

As for the clarification, Zaslav's just begging for someone to beat the shit out of him in broad daylight at this point.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I guess we can take some comfort that there is barely anything else on AS that can fall victim to this. At worst maybe Uzumaki is cancelled (as if we were ever going to get it anyway), and if luck is on our side, maybe those new FLCL seasons get the axe before they tarnish the franchise name further. 

DeMarco would quit if they axed Uzumaki from Toonami broadcast. It's his baby.

17 hours ago, matrixman124 said:

Because federal oversight of corporations has been weakened to complete inefficiency.

No, I don't even mean how it was allowed to happen, i mean why the hell these companies wanted to merge in the first place. What did they get out of it other than a mind-boggling mountain of debt?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

No, I don't even mean how it was allowed to happen, i mean why the hell these companies wanted to merge in the first place. What did they get out of it other than a mind-boggling mountain of debt?

If that class action is any indication, Warner straight up lied or otherwise exaggerated about their assets.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Discovery wanted the HBO Max platform and HBO/WB's past library to extend their reach to compete with other streaming giants. And WB was desperate to get out of their debts. To do so, they most certainly fudged their numbers as JMan said.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 8:50 PM, Top Gun said:

So like...can anyone explain like I'm 5 why the fuck this merger happened in the first place if it automatically put the companies in question into an inescapable financial hole?

Not only that, what is the point of merging to get the rights to all these properties if you're just going to write them all off?  It makes no sense.

58 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

How is it even possible to lose so much money?

If you think those numbers sound bad, they're actually mere drops in the bucket. They're 55 billion in Debt.

And they lost 20 billion in market cap since the cuts due to their falling stock price.

OOPSIE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daos said:

If you think those numbers sound bad, they're actually mere drops in the bucket. They're 55 billion in Debt.

And they lost 20 billion in market cap since the cuts due to their falling stock price.

OOPSIE

I don't see why such numbers are even financially feasible and sustainable, or legal.  It's like Monopoly money at that point.  So stupid.

28 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I don't see why such numbers are even financially feasible and sustainable, or legal.  It's like Monopoly money at that point.  So stupid.

Debt essentially is Monopoly money. The US has like 30 trillion in debt, it’s meaningless, it’s just numbers on a board. It’s never going to go down. As long as WBD can still make periodic payments to those they have debt towards, it will never matter. 

Unlike the US though, WBD could hypothetically knock out their debt and get back in the black. It will take many years of strategic spending and successful content, but it’s not entirely impossible. Once the stock price starts to rebound (and it will), that will put a dent in some of the problem 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Those are considered rookie numbers in the business world. Facebook has lost about 1 trillion in market cap since its stupid Metaverse. Zuckerberg alone has lost about 100 bil.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

WELL WELL WELL

"Hey investors, we're going to merge two shitty, dying companies in a space that probably has no future, so put all your state retirement funds here!"

Haha they specifically accuses Zaslav as someone how hid information. 

I feel for the state for losing on this one, but even with being mislead, how could you think this was a viable long term place to invest? Of course there was financial disarray before the merger..

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Like 3

On 11/29/2022 at 9:33 AM, Daos said:

Who would have thought ruining Star Wars wouldn't be a profitable long term strategy? Lulz.

Well, that's subjective.  What's not, is most of those Star Wars movies made a ton of money.  So, definitely not ruined from a financial perspective.  Although, movies are on hold for the time being, it seems.  Seems like they're all in development hell. 

At least Andor was awesome.  It just goes to show that you are better off using new characters and storylines.  They always seem to be better received than bringing back old characters and storylines.  I'm glad the Star Wars shows will keep being produced on a regular basis.

42 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Well, that's subjective.  What's not, is most of those Star Wars movies made a ton of money.  So, definitely not ruined from a financial perspective.  Although, movies are on hold for the time being, it seems.  Seems like they're all in development hell. 

At least Andor was awesome.  It just goes to show that you are better off using new characters and storylines.  They always seem to be better received than bringing back old characters and storylines.  I'm glad the Star Wars shows will keep being produced on a regular basis.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/10/21/disney-star-wars-declared-a-dead-brand-after-andor-premiere-ratings-revealed-by-nielsen/

Yeah but even the few things they release that are actually considered to be good like Andor can't get views now. That's the sign of a destroyed brand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 2:45 AM, Daos said:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/10/21/disney-star-wars-declared-a-dead-brand-after-andor-premiere-ratings-revealed-by-nielsen/

Yeah but even the few things they release that are actually considered to be good like Andor can't get views now. That's the sign of a destroyed brand.

Ok, you're really going to link to more anti-SJW crap again?  Do you know what other content is on that site?  There's probably dozens of articles ranting about She-Hulk.  I did a search and I was right, haha.  And here's an article from their front page -

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/12/13/days-gone-director-john-garvin-calls-out-woke-reviewers-who-couldnt-handle-a-white-male-protagonist-looking-at-his-dates-ass/

That website is garbage.

I think Andor had poor branding and marketing.  Hell, if it was just called "Rebellion" or something, I'm sure it would've gotten better views.  When I first heard about it, it didn't sound appealing to me, but the show ended up being pretty good.  I'm sure Mandalorian will still do well as well.

12 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

Why did you let Ben of all people clock you like this? She-Hulk was decent, it just needed a better ending.

I'm never going to watch it but that is not the impression I've gotten from all the blowback I've seen on it.

On 12/14/2022 at 9:47 AM, Daos said:

Is there anyone that didn't make fun of She Hulk?

Most of the people I saw raging against it were the right-wing dudebros.  If it has legitimate issues, I really haven't seen that brought up.

Anyway, Star Wars may not be in an ideal situation, but it's not as bad as DC, which is a total clusterfuck.  And I agree with what was said in this video.  Lucasfilm shouldn't announce anything unless it is concrete or even after it's started production.

On 12/14/2022 at 3:28 PM, Jman said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-discovery-to-take-additional-800m-in-content-and-development-writeoffs-1235282281/

Looks like another $800 million in programming is being cut, bringing the total write off to $3.3 billion.

On 12/14/2022 at 7:57 PM, EmpressAngel said:

Asking this again, even more confused.

No idea.

And what is the point of merging these companies to bring all this content together under one roof, if you're just going to write a bunch of it off?