UnevenEdge

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Arc (October 2022) New Trailer Released

On 10/3/2022 at 11:23 AM, Jman said:

At first I thought it said we could watch Bleach on Disney + in the U.S. too, but it's just on Hulu in the U.S.  That would be convenient since Disney + doesn't have commercials.  It's still weird that Bleach would be on Disney + anywhere, though!  It's not exactly what you put on for the kids after Frozen!

On 10/3/2022 at 2:48 PM, Sketch said:

They sure took their sweet time to announce the obvious.

CR got screwed out of Bleach and you know what? I’m glad they did but going with Disney internationally is an unexpected move.

We can only guess if Viz will also let Toonami air it or if it will be locked down on Hulu in the US.

Crunchyroll deserves to get screwed for how much they've screwed over Toonami.

I'm not sure why Bleach wasn't put on Disney + in the U.S. too.  Because doesn't Disney have control over Hulu anyway?

On 10/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, DangerMouse said:

Yup, looks like I won't be watching for a while, don't got Hulu.

I'm surprised you don't have some friends or relatives you can share an account with?  That's how a lot of people do it.  We have Disney + and YouTube TV, my aunt has Netflix, Peacock, and HBO Max, my cousin has Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and Discovery Plus, and we all share the accounts between us.

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Well if Viz was going to say something at a convention, now would have been the time but they also haven't announced a premiere date for the dub on Hulu so we'll see.

I thought that was going to be on Hulu, too.  So, we don't know about the dub yet?

On 10/9/2022 at 12:13 AM, ben0119 said:

I thought that was going to be on Hulu, too.  So, we don't know about the dub yet?

They announced returning cast members (the most obvious ones) so they're gearing up to dub it but there's been no mention of when the dub will be available to watch on Hulu or Disney+ internationally.

Is that a sign that Toonami is getting the dub? Not really but it does leave the possibility open for them to even get the dub premiere. I'm pretty sure the dub will be on Hulu regardless.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

They announced returning cast members (the most obvious ones) so they're gearing up to dub it but there's been no mention of when the dub will be available to watch on Hulu or Disney+ internationally.

Is that a sign that Toonami is getting the dub? Not really but it does leave the possibility open for them to even get the dub premiere. I'm pretty sure the dub will be on Hulu regardless.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Best case scenario is dub premieres on Toonami midnight Saturday night, Hulu gets the dub Sunday evening.

Of course, [as] would also be able to stream dubbed episodes with a cable log-in.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 7:44 PM, Sketch said:

Yeah I saw the original main cast is returning, and Johnny Yong Bosch has done a lot of promotion for the new series so far.  I'm hoping they this lull in information about the dub means Toonami will get it.

Also, the the series premiered, and I made a discussion thread for it in the anime section, if anyone is interested.  The animation and music are insane!

https://unevenedge.com/topic/59800-bleach-thousand-year-blood-war-discussion/

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sketch said:

The dub starts streaming on Hulu on Friday November 4th, the timing is perfect for Toonami to start airing it on November 5th. Let us remain hopeful that Viz didn’t hand all the keyblades to the kingdom to the mouse.

A 24 hour gap between the release and the Toonami run is probably the absolute best case scenario for us at this stage. And now that Hulu has put out their statement, Toonami should be able to put one out by the end of the week, assuming they have it of course. 

Unfortunately though, that nice 24 hour gap wouldn’t last, cause you just know they are going to waste our time with a thanksgiving marathon and throw the whole system off only a few weeks deep into it. 

• Like 2

They have kept a necessary premiere on for Thanksgiving weekend before so they’d probably run Bleach that weekend. Dec 24th and 31st though are another matter. They can feasibly catch up in January but I would not be surprised if Viz didn’t upload an episode on Dec 30th or maybe even the 23rd since somewhere in December the recordings are bound to take a week or two off for the holidays.

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

They have kept a necessary premiere on for Thanksgiving weekend before so they’d probably run Bleach that weekend. Dec 24th and 31st though are another matter. They can feasibly catch up in January but I would not be surprised if Viz didn’t upload an episode on Dec 30th or maybe even the 23rd since somewhere in December the recordings are bound to take a week or two off for the holidays.

At that stage it becomes even more frustrating though. They claim marathons are due to poor ratings, yet would be willing to keep what would be their main bread and butter show airing. What would be an easy skip night would then become something people have to set aside 30 minutes for. A deal like this pokes massive holes in the marathon argument. 

I do agree about late December though, Viz probably wouldn’t be recording or releasing an episode so they would have a bit of flexibility there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 2:17 AM, Sketch said:

The dub starts streaming on Hulu on Friday November 4th, the timing is perfect for Toonami to start airing it on November 5th. Let us remain hopeful that Viz didn’t hand all the keyblades to the kingdom to the mouse.

I saw the news of the Bleach dub premiere on Hulu.  I hope this makes a good possibility for it to show on Toonami still.  I hadn't thought of how it would line up with when shows need to be replaced.  That is an interesting wrinkle.

If there is a good chance of the dub airing on Toonami, I will probably hold off on watching that version, at least, so I can see it for the first time on Toonami.

So, it looks like we won't be getting new Bleach the day after the Hulu premiere after all.   But hopefully Toonami still gets Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War at some point.

I went ahead and just watched the dub of the first episode for now.  I'd like to hold off on watching too much more of it, if there is a chance Toonami will pick it up.

All the returning voice actors did a good job.  You can hardly tell it's been 10 years.  Especially for Stephanie Sheh, it's amazing she can still do the Orihime voice spot on.

It totally did not occur to me that Chad would be recast.  Jamieson Price said he decided to step down from the role so a person of color could voice Chad.  I also totally forgot that Jamieson Price isn't the original VA, and replaced Marc Worden at episode 86.  I honestly don't recall a change in how Chad sounded back then.

The ANN thread on this is a total dumpster fire.  I saw someone in there saying that every time an instance like this has come up, the white voice actor has stepped down from the legacy role.  I don't know if that's true or not.  I hope Yoruichi doesn't get recast.  

Spoiler

Hallibel would be another possibility, if we follow this route.   She was played by Laura Bailey.   It looks like Laura Bailey has not worked in anime since 2019, but I think she could still return.  I don't think David Kaye had worked in anime for many years when he returned as Sesshomaru in Yashahime.

Huh.  I had no idea that Tosen's VA changed part way through the series. Either way, neither one of them were black.  

But, I don't think voice actors need to match the ethnicity of their characters.  The whole point is a voice actor doesn't need to look anything like their character, they just need to do a good job at the role.  Of course, the industry could do to be more inclusive than it has been in the past.  Ideally, this could be done with new characters and not legacy characters. I mean, nobody likes recastings.  Japanese voice actors aren't changed unless they're extremely ill at the time of pruduction, or die, or do something truly heinous.

Anyway, I thought Alain Mesa did a good job as Chad.   The voice is nearly identical, except same maybe slightly gravelly.

Vic did not return as Ikkaku, thank god, so I think we can finally put the last nail in that coffin.  Vic is not coming back, Vic stans, get over it and move on.  I actually had some idiot on Twitter tell me Vic was going to return as Ikkaku a few years ago.  A good example of why I rarely use Twitter. Hopefully Elon makes it better.

I do not think Todd Haberkorn was the most suitable replacement, however.  We needed someone who could sound gruffer and tougher.  It was already miraculous enough that Vic of all people could do that voice.

For the new characters so far -

Spoiler

I did not expect Ebern to have a strong Spanish accent.   I'm not sure if he had any kind of accent in Japanese.  I wouldn't be able to tell that easily, since I don't speak the language.  Obviously he didn't have one in the manga.   I thought maybe it was done because he's an Arrancar, but it was not done with Luders.  But, he did a pretty good job with the German though haha. Better than Luders.  But do we really not know who this voice actor is yet?

Luders did not pronounce Wandenreich with the proper German pronunciation.   Maybe that is why Bach blows his head off next episode. 🤣

I forgot that Aleks Le played Zenitsu. 🤣   That actually makes him perfect for Ryunosuke.  But at least Ryunosuke is more calm than Zenitsu.🤣

Kimber Lee Ann Connors did a good job as Shino.  

Huh.   So, both the sub and dub used the same voice actor for those two characters.   I guess the anime is going to make that even more obvious than the manga, haha.

I can tolerate Chad having a different voice, because he really never got to say that much anyway. But I’m gonna be majorly pissed if this evolves from a single VAs personal choice to the entire cast feeling pressured to dump their roles if they don’t have the right skin tone. Anyone else but Wendee Lee as Yoruichi is unacceptable. 

If you want to take this stance, be willing to make an exception for a legacy role. People want to hear as many of the correct voices as possible. 

Slightly related, I wonder if David Lodge will reprise Kenpachi. He said he was willing to, so it falls on Viz willingness to forgive him for his sloppy dispute back in the day. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I can tolerate Chad having a different voice, because he really never got to say that much anyway. But I’m gonna be majorly pissed if this evolves from a single VAs personal choice to the entire cast feeling pressured to dump their roles if they don’t have the right skin tone. Anyone else but Wendee Lee as Yoruichi is unacceptable. 

If you want to take this stance, be willing to make an exception for a legacy role. People want to hear as many of the correct voices as possible. 

Slightly related, I wonder if David Lodge will reprise Kenpachi. He said he was willing to, so it falls on Viz willingness to forgive him for his sloppy dispute back in the day. 

Yeah, Chad typically doesn't get a lot of screen time, and doesn't say much when he does haha.  Yeah, I really hope that doesn't happen.  I looked up Wendee Lee and she is still doing anime voice work as of this year.  She was the demon Jyoka in Yashahime, in fact.  So she doesn't even have to come out of retirement for it or anything.  I really don't want someone else besides her playing Yoruichi.

Edit - I found this tweet by Wendee Lee.  At least it seems like she doesn't want to step down.

Yes, definitely.

I don't even know what the situation is with David Lodge and Viz.  We were given no explanation on the recasting when it happened. 

David Lodge posted this, saying he would like to return.  I don't know if Viz has reached out or not.

If David Lodge isn't brought back, I hope they don't have Patrick Seitz do it again, and get someone else.  As ridiculous as it sounds to say, not even Patrick Seitz apparently was badass enough to play Kenpachi right!  It just didn't sound right at all!

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

Even if it's a union dub this time (and I hope it is) there's no guarantee Laura Baily will return. She didn't return for Tiger & Bunny season 2 and that one is a union dub but it's possible that role just wasn't important enough to her.

Alain Mesa sounds like he's imitating Jamieson Price who was imitating Marc Worden. It sounds fine, good even. He can probably yell out the Spanish attack names better than Price and sound more like a teenage boy.

It's a real monkey's paw for Vic to be replaced by Todd. Its really quite obnoxious. It will forever delight me that NYAV Post recast Todd in Fena though they shouldn't have cast him in a role in the first place.

I never much cared for Derek Stephen Prince as Ishida, I would not have minded at all for him to be recast with an actor who can sound younger or was an Asian actor. Alan Lee or Stephen Fu would be great as Ishida. Ichigo and Orihime always had Asian VAs that could pass for teenagers, though I don't think either are Japanese.

I do hope they get David Lodge back for Kenpachi but if they haven't reached out yet then chances are they're not getting him back.

I haven't been much of a Bleach fan since I fell off during the Bount Arc and I only rekindled that interest a bit when I started watching it again on Toonami in 2012 but I gotta say hearing Number One blare as the quad takes down a bunch of hollows was really hype.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Yeah, feels like ages since we'd seen Chad let alone outside of filler, and actually had forgotten he'd even already been recast once, so if he's finally coming back into the story after all this time recasting him to address this is fine at this point. Exactly, really love her iconic Yoruichi so damn much.

Yeah.

Oh yeah, that'd be cool if they could have just taken this chance to work it out and make it happen, but I guess we probably would have heard about it by now. It's been so long and COVID made it feel even longer for so many that it seems like other unexpected things have been happening in entertainment all of a sudden, like Cavill coming back (yeah it's mostly on the old executives that were blocking it leaving), Hugh Jackman getting pulled back in for Deadpool, etc.

Edit: Yeah, would be great but I agree it's probably unlikely Laura Bailey comes back if her character even has any part, especially if she didn't for T&B even through Netflix. I think one of the few things that could still bring her back again would be a Soul Eater "Brotherhood".  She even came back for the tiny cameo in Soul Eater Not.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

I don't even know what the situation is with David Lodge and Viz.  We were given no explanation on the recasting when it happened. 

He got in a pay dispute over his work and walked when they would not meet his demands. Not sure how much impact that had on the dub since this was long before tight simuldub windows, but im sure it gave Viz some issues. And being honest, that tweet of his comes off very passive aggressive. Like he knows Viz won’t contact him so he is acting like he has a jam packed schedule they need to work around for him to grace their presence. Im gonna hedge my bet that he likely will not return. I do agree about Seitz, no hate to him, but he really was not the man for the job in this case. 

Wendee Lee is obviously signaling she wants to remain in the role. I hope she resists any social media bullying that tries to get her to give it up. 

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

It's a real monkey's paw for Vic to be replaced by Todd. Its really quite obnoxious. It will forever delight me that NYAV Post recast Todd in Fena though they shouldn't have cast him in a role in the first place.

What happened with Todd? I’m so used to hearing him tell me to put those motes in the bank that I just assumed he didn’t have an current issues. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

It will forever delight me that NYAV Post recast Todd in Fena though they shouldn't have cast him in a role in the first place.

...Todd was in Fena at some point? What Mandela Effected timeline did you come from where this happened?

Edited by PokeNirvash

Good on Jamison Price for stepping down. The original dub started over 15 years ago and the industry was a different place than it is now, so I can definitely get why he'd feel uncomfortable as a white dude coming back to voice a character that's explicitly confirmed to be a person of color. I think there's a big difference between Chad, who's outright stated to be half-Mexican in canon, vs someone like Yoruichi who isn't even human and was just given a darker skin tone as a design choice.

Edited by EmpressAngel
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

...Todd was in Fena at some point? What Mandela Effected timeline did you come from where this happened?

Oh he was in it. He played the creep that bought Fena’s first service at the brothel. He was recast and never credited but the difference between his admittedly great performance and Robbie Daymond’s is quite obvious to me. Current digital versions have Daymond but the original broadcast didn’t until episode 3.

Daymond was credited for all his appearances but it was definitely not Daymond in episode 1. You can also hear Haberkorn in the episode 3 promo and Daymond’s performance is quite different. Good on them for recasting and even re-recording but Haberkorn surely still got paid and casting him at all was quite an oversight.

Edited by Sketch
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/6/2022 at 1:57 AM, Toonamiguy321 said:

He got in a pay dispute over his work and walked when they would not meet his demands. Not sure how much impact that had on the dub since this was long before tight simuldub windows, but im sure it gave Viz some issues. And being honest, that tweet of his comes off very passive aggressive. Like he knows Viz won’t contact him so he is acting like he has a jam packed schedule they need to work around for him to grace their presence. Im gonna hedge my bet that he likely will not return. I do agree about Seitz, no hate to him, but he really was not the man for the job in this case. 

Wendee Lee is obviously signaling she wants to remain in the role. I hope she resists any social media bullying that tries to get her to give it up. 

What happened with Todd? I’m so used to hearing him tell me to put those motes in the bank that I just assumed he didn’t have an current issues. 

Todd was slinging extra mud at Vic and outted himself as a sexual predator in the process. Though it’s a “he said, she said” situation and he claims the sex he had with a fan at a convention was consensual, the woman feels quite the opposite and has some witnesses who Todd also tried to drag into the mud. Unlike Vic he didn’t try to sue for defamation but interestingly he did supposedly seek legal council from Vic’s lawyer. An odd thing to do after trying to make Vic look even worse.

So some studios seem to be avoiding Todd but he’s still in SAG-AFTRA and he gets roles in many LA dubs. Vic probably would still be Ikkaku if he hadn’t tried to sue FUNimation but now no major studio will hire him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Oh he was in it. He played the creep that bought Fena’s first service at the brothel. He was recast and never credited but the difference between his admittedly great performance and Robbie Daymond’s is quite obvious to me. Current digital versions have Daymond but the original broadcast didn’t until episode 3.

Daymond was credited for all his appearances but it was definitely not Daymond in episode 1. You can also hear Haberkorn in the episode 3 promo and Daymond’s performance is quite different.

I'll be honest, I never paid that much attention to Maxiver Jr.'s voice. Still, it's understandable, at least compared to my original theory of "Todd was announced to be voicing Shitan on this one website but was removed before it could be archived".

As for his sunk reputation...

Spoiler

I seem to remember it playing out this way: Jessie Pridemore came forward first with claims that Todd took advantage of her while she was drunk, then Todd came forward claiming that they were both drunk that night and he regretted what happened, and after that it wasn't talked about as heavily (or at all) compared to Vic's allegations and the shit that's been going on with Quinton Flynn (if Kon shows up in TYBW, I wonder who'll take over as the new voice...). It's probably wrong in some places and I don't wish to dive back into that in an effort to correct myself - it's unhealthy trying to follow that kind of news long-term - but I feel like the conflicting nature of the allegations is the reason why Todd isn't getting as many roles as before, but is still getting them from certain companies and even doing voice director work for a few.

Hard to believe that a decade ago the main reason we dunked on Todd was 'cause he voiced damn near every the main character in FUNimation's shows. Makes you wonder why we don't dunk on Blake Shepard for being just as oversaturated in Sentai's dubs.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Good on Jamison Price for stepping down. The original dub started over 15 years ago and the industry was a different place than it is now, so I can definitely get why he'd feel uncomfortable as a white dude coming back to voice a character that's explicitly confirmed to be a person of color. I think there's a big difference between Chad, who's outright stated to be half-Mexican in canon, vs someone like Yoruichi who isn't even human and was just given a darker skin tone as a design choice.

I'll never get the whole "Hispanic = POC" thing unless there's a decent percentage of black or indigenous blood involved.

Not that I'm complaining, it was the only way I was able to get into college lol.

7 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'll be honest, I never paid that much attention to Maxiver Jr.'s voice. Still, it's understandable, at least compared to my original theory of "Todd was announced to be voicing Shitan on this one website but was removed before it could be archived".

As for his sunk reputation...

Hide contents

I seem to remember it playing out this way: Jessie Pridemore came forward first with claims that Todd took advantage of her while she was drunk, then Todd came forward claiming that they were both drunk that night and he regretted what happened, and after that it wasn't talked about as heavily (or at all) compared to Vic's allegations and the shit that's been going on with Quinton Flynn (if Kon shows up in TYBW, I wonder who'll take over as the new voice...). It's probably wrong in some places and I don't wish to dive back into that in an effort to correct myself - it's unhealthy trying to follow that kind of news long-term - but I feel like the conflicting nature of the allegations is the reason why Todd isn't getting as many roles as before, but is still getting them from certain companies and even doing voice director work for a few.

Hard to believe that a decade ago the main reason we dunked on Todd was 'cause he voiced damn near every the main character in FUNimation's shows. Makes you wonder why we don't dunk on Blake Shepard for being just as oversaturated in Sentai's dubs.

Yeah that’s true the original statement was from Pridemore and Todd poorly defended himself while also throwing Vic under the bus because he was aware of Vic’s interactions with Pridemore. I don’t recall seeing Todd apologizing but I definitely saw him claiming it was between consenting adults. If he did apologize then that probably did help avoid career assassination.

They did use Blake Shepard a ton for a while. They seem to have dialed that back but as for why Shepard didn’t get as much flack? Probably because not as many people paid attention to Sentai dubs. Before him it was all Chris Patton and Greg Ayres at ADV.

I've been looking over the voice cast for the original Bleach series some more.   A lot more characters were recast than I realized.

As far as Laura Bailey goes, the character I mentioned that she might consider stepping down from, for the same reason that Jamieson Price did, will not make that much of a difference.   I looked back at the Bleach wiki, and unless this character's role in the anime is expanded greatly beyond that of the manga, she will only be in like one episode and get a handful of lines.

However, I also discovered that Laura Bailey was the second voice of Hiyori, taking over from Lara Cody at episode 206. I have to say I don't recall a drastic change in the voice at all. ANN also says a VA named Mela Lee played Hiyori, but doesn't say which episodes. So, it would be more important for Laura Bailey to come back as Hiyori, but if she doesn't, the character has already had three voice actors at this point, it won't be the end of the world.

Komamura's voice changed, which I had no idea about.  Kim Strauss was replaced by JB Blanc from episode 96 onward.   Kim Strauss was also the original voice for Kaien (talk about range,) who Dave Mallow took over the role for when Kaien "returned" with that Espada using his body.  I wondered why Kaien was recast if Kim Strauss was in the same show playing Komamura, but given Komamura was recast earlier, it would seem Kim Strauss was eliminated from the show entirely for some reason.

I don't know if anyone was here or remembers, but Dave Mallow actually came on the ASMB to talk with fans when those episodes were playing, to see how people reacted to his performance. I remember him doing a good job as Kaien and being pretty cool on the boards.

Patrick Seitz had also come on the boards to the Other Anime section, when Sci-Fi was playing Monster, and was pretty cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if some other voice actors stopped by the boards, but didn't say who they were, or lurked. There might also have been some others that showed up that I'm forgetting about.

Of course, we all know that the original Urahara voice actor, Michael Lindsay, was replaced by Doug Erholtz, who did an impeccable job, after Michael Lindsay unfortunately passed away. Wait, no, it says here that Michael Lindsay passed away in 2019, way after he was recast and way after the Bleach dub finished airing.  I could've sworn he was replaced as Urahara because he died.  That is weird.  Did I get Mandela Effected?

Oh, Travis Willingham is not playing Akon anymore, but I don't know if anyone cares about that.   I see he also played Love Aikawa and Charlotte Cuulhorne.  Talk about range.  But wow, him doing the Charlotte voice would not fly in this day and age, would it?  I can see Love being recast, and I probably wouldn't care.

Spoiler

Boy, I sure hope he comes back as Ginjo, though. 

That is, if Travis Willingham's return is in the cards at all. He has not done an anime since 2019 either.

By the way, did you guys know there's a friggin LITTLE WOMEN anime?   Some of the older Bleach voice actors were in it.

Anyway, it seems that a lot of Bleach characters were recast, a lot more than maybe some of us realized.  I would say some characters are more important to have their original VAs return than others, and Yoruichi is definitely one of them.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:44 PM, EmpressAngel said:

Yes, and Chad's partial Mexican heritage is a big part of his character and backstory.  Kubo even went as far as to make Chad's heritage his Fullbring item, which has to be a special possession to the given character.

My view was that, despite the names, Soul Society is meant to be multi-ethnic.  There are some characters with blonde hair, like Shinji or Rangiku (hers is strawberry blonde, actually) or Yoruichi who has dark skin (then again, her hair is purple.)  It's like Naruto.  Some characters have European features, like Naruto and his parents, the Uchihas seem to be Japanese, some of the Cloud Ninja are black, Tenten seems to be Chinese.  I guess the Hyuugas would be a fictional ethnicity, like the Ishvalens.

I even had the theory that when people die in the Seireitei's area of jurisdiction (seems to be Japan or at least east Asia,) they might be given Japanese names, regardless of their ethnicity.  Then again, some characters were "born" in the Soul Society, which never made much sense to me, since everyone there are Souls.  All we know about Yoruichi's heritage was that she is a member of one of the Soul Society's noble families, so she would've been born there, which I guess wouldn't be affected by that theory regardless.  

Though I may be overthinking it, and maybe Kubo didn't even think about it this much, haha.

On 11/6/2022 at 2:57 AM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Oh I never about that.  That information must not have been made public at the time?  Oh I didn't get that, but you may be right that David Lodge is being passive aggressive.  He's put that tweet out there, so now if we don't hear him as Kenpachi in Thousand Year Blood War Arc, Viz will look like the "bad guys."  Yeah it may be too late, if we haven't already heard anything.  In any case, Kenpachi appears pretty shortly, not sure if he had any lines until the last episode, but, we'll be finding out who is playing Kenpachi.

Yes, like I said, if Lodge isn't brought back, I hope someone else plays Kenpachi.  And since the big lobby by fans is for Lodge to return, there probably isn't a big push for Seitz and fans won't be upset if he isn't used either.

Yeah, I hope Wendee Lee sticks with her desire to return, as you said.

~

As to Todd Haberkorn, my recollection of what happened is the same as Poke's.  It was a pretty muddy situation with not enough evidence to support either side, but Todd seemed to handle the situation better than Vic, and the whole situation died down after a while.  Todd also didn't have dozens of other accusers coming out against him after Jesse Pridemore.  Todd didn't get canceled, and he continued to do work, for anime, YouTube videos, and probably other stuff.  My issue is that he's not suited to play Ikkaku at all.  Ikkaku is supposed to have a more badass voice that Todd certainly struggles to even attempt to do.

What is going on with Quinton Flynn?

Edited by ben0119

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I could've sworn he was replaced as Urahara because he died.  That is weird.  Did I get Mandela Effected?

I’m in the exact same boat. Without a doubt in my mind when Bleach was announced and I was thinking about the dub, Urahara being recast in the original because he died came to mind. 

Bleach is tricky when it comes to a modern dub. It has an enormous cast, and it was dubbed in a time when lots of VAs kind of just evaporated after a few roles. Then you have others like Laura Bailey who took huge strides in their career and may just not be available. I believe the further away we get from the main cast, the less Viz is going to feel it’s necessary to get the original VA for a character, especially if they have an insignificant role in the new season. I’m sure Viz will at least try to get the original, but if they are bigshots or moved to a new career and aren’t interested, then they are just going to move to someone new. Ichigo, Rukia, Renji, Yoruichi, and Orihime are some of the most prominent and most likely for people to notice a change, and all of those seem locked down by their originals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/10/2022 at 5:45 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

I’m in the exact same boat. Without a doubt in my mind when Bleach was announced and I was thinking about the dub, Urahara being recast in the original because he died came to mind. 

Bleach is tricky when it comes to a modern dub. It has an enormous cast, and it was dubbed in a time when lots of VAs kind of just evaporated after a few roles. Then you have others like Laura Bailey who took huge strides in their career and may just not be available. I believe the further away we get from the main cast, the less Viz is going to feel it’s necessary to get the original VA for a character, especially if they have an insignificant role in the new season. I’m sure Viz will at least try to get the original, but if they are bigshots or moved to a new career and aren’t interested, then they are just going to move to someone new. Ichigo, Rukia, Renji, Yoruichi, and Orihime are some of the most prominent and most likely for people to notice a change, and all of those seem locked down by their originals. 

Yes, you are right about that.  And some characters do return but not for significant roles.  It's more or less just "hey remember this character?"  You expect almost everyone to make a cameo because it's the last arc.  But yeah, in those cases it's not so important to bring people back.

Anyway, I haven't decided if I want to watch more of the dub yet, but the second dubbed ep dropped, I've recfreshed the ANN cast list, and looks like most of the characters had their roles reprised by their original VAs.  Another character had their VA replaced in a similar manner to Chad's.  The VA now matches the character's (presumed) ethnicity.  But this is a minor character with a bit role, so I doubt most people will care, and yeah, I'm not sure Viz would go out of their way to get the original back for this character anyway.

In good news, Wendee Lee was able to reprise another character she played, so since she is in the show already, hopefully this gives her a better chance of playing Yoruichi.

31 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

In good news, Wendee Lee was able to reprise another character she played, so since she is in the show already, hopefully this gives her a better chance of playing Yoruichi.

Oh, promising sign. Nice, thanks.

31 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Anyway, I haven't decided if I want to watch more of the dub yet, but the second dubbed ep dropped, I've recfreshed the ANN cast list, and looks like most of the characters had their roles reprised by their original VAs.  Another character had their VA replaced in a similar manner to Chad's.  The VA now matches the character's (presumed) ethnicity.  But this is a minor character with a bit role, so I doubt most people will care, and yeah, I'm not sure Viz would go out of their way to get the original back for this character anyway.

Actually have never watched any of Bleach subbed since I only watched it through TV, so dub or bust for me with Bleach whenever I'm able to finally start. That was how many years it was on Toonami hearing those voices?! lol.

Yeah, probably went with whatever was easiest and less controversial for bit parts, I'd assume the primary characters and those with lots of screentime in the past that aren't just any mere cameos are the ones they're trying most on.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 6:45 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Bleach is tricky when it comes to a modern dub. It has an enormous cast, and it was dubbed in a time when lots of VAs kind of just evaporated after a few roles. Then you have others like Laura Bailey who took huge strides in their career and may just not be available.

This is making me think of Squid Girl's original dub, which had a few voice actors like that. Eiko was Heather Pennington's only major role, and one of her only roles in general. It was probably for this reason that they opted only to get Christine Marie Cabanos back as the MC and recast everyone else. A shrewd move, but after watching the dub I was able to gel with most of the new voices.

Now, there's been talk of Fena's dub as well as union dubs in this thread, so I'd like to drop this link here, even though it doesn't have to do with Bleach. Basically, [adult swim] was open to doing a union dub for Fena, but CR stepped in and denied it. Maybe this is why they went with Sentai for Shenmue's dub?

6 hours ago, Blatch said:

This is making me think of Squid Girl's original dub, which had a few voice actors like that. Eiko was Heather Pennington's only major role, and one of her only roles in general. It was probably for this reason that they opted only to get Christine Marie Cabanos back as the MC and recast everyone else. A shrewd move, but after watching the dub I was able to gel with most of the new voices.

Now, there's been talk of Fena's dub as well as union dubs in this thread, so I'd like to drop this link here, even though it doesn't have to do with Bleach. Basically, [adult swim] was open to doing a union dub for Fena, but CR stepped in and denied it. Maybe this is why they went with Sentai for Shenmue's dub?

I’m rather surprised Fena wasn’t union but I suppose NYAV Post does non-union too. Chock this up to another anti-union move from Crunchyroll.

On 11/13/2022 at 2:45 AM, DangerMouse said:

Oh, promising sign. Nice, thanks.

Actually have never watched any of Bleach subbed since I only watched it through TV, so dub or bust for me with Bleach whenever I'm able to finally start. That was how many years it was on Toonami hearing those voices?! lol.

Yeah, probably went with whatever was easiest and less controversial for bit parts, I'd assume the primary characters and those with lots of screentime in the past that aren't just any mere cameos are the ones they're trying most on.

Yes, it is a bit character Wendee Lee played, but she's in the door now, so...

It was actually pretty out of character for me to watch the sub of Bleach back when I did it.  I had introduced someone to the series, and we were binging it together.  We got to the point where Adult Swim had left off, and she wanted to keep going, so I gave in watched ahead with her.  It eventually got to the point where we were reading the manga haha.

And the place of the hiatus was pretty miserable too.  Not only was AS out of new episodes, but when it came back, it would be filler. x_x We skipped the filler in our binge, I think.  Episode 167... I rue this number.  It's the episode number where the original InuYasha series cut off without conclusion, and where AS had a hiatus with Bleach, which ended with a return of filler. 🤣

And 167 is the octal form of 119, my birthday.  Octal is some kind of weird numerical system apparently.  Creepy!  And who knew individual numbers had wiki pages!

Screenshot_20221120-022351_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c71f4d1195ef06523d25be7ad0d1aa7f.jpg

But yeah, so that's how that happened.  And ever since then, I usually won't watch a series subbed unless to re-watch it that way if I really like it, or it's a continuing series I really like, and I don't want to wait to see what happens next.  In that case, I'd re-watch it dubbed regardless.  Although, I recently found a couple series I was interested in that have no dubs to speak of, so not much of an option there.  Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Rail Wars.  I already watched Arpeggio.  It's strange because I figured any shows of at least the past 15-20 years would all have dubs.

Yeah, that is probably the case.  I also figure some of these actors didn't feel like returning to these roles, or couldn't be found, or retired, etc.

• Haha 1

Well, another dubbed episode dropped, and we have more cast updates.  It looks like most have returned to their roles, but unfortunately Ryuken Ishida of all characters was recast.  He was originally played by Michael McConnohie, now played Christopher Swindle. 

Michael McConnohie was still doing voice acting as recently as last year, if Behind The Voice Actors is accurate, but it looks like he was only reprising a single character for the past three years, so maybe he is semi-retired.  I didn't realize he also played Tracks (one of my favorites) and Cosmos on the original Transformers cartoon.  Or rather, didn't put it together that he was the same Michael McConnohie who did anime roles years later.  He attended a Transformers convention in August, so he is still active to some extent. 

Christopher Swindle also played some Transformers in more recent years, coincidentally enough, and Swindle is the name of a pretty infamous Decepticon, but he never played any version of Swindle.

I hope he did a good job as Ryuken.  I am considering watching further dubbed episodes, if it looks like there is no sign of Toonami getting Thousand Year Blood War any time soon.  But I might confuse myself, watching and re-watching episodes of the same arc so close together, haha.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:01 PM, Blatch said:

On 11/16/2022 at 3:28 AM, Sketch said:

I’m rather surprised Fena wasn’t union but I suppose NYAV Post does non-union too. Chock this up to another anti-union move from Crunchyroll.

I guess it doesn't matter now, since Fena and Shenmue both got canceled by Asslav. 😧

On 11/15/2022 at 9:41 PM, matrixman124 said:

Just going to put this here...

Oh, I am definitely happy that Richard Epcar is playing Bach. :) 

22 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Episode 3 wasn't uploaded to Hulu Friday as normal...

You sure about that?  I just checked and it definitely was.  Maybe it was uploaded late?  Either way, the cast listing couldn't have been updated if the episode wasn't posted.

Yeah, if the schedule in which Yashahime was acquired is any guide, we're talking Spring-Summer 2023. But it COULD still show up earlier.

They hadn't uploaded Episode 3 to Hulu yet as of this afternoon, at least not according to my search. The first 2 episodes uploaded at 3 PM Eastern on Fridays (11/4  and 11/11, respectively), so I wonder when this one was added?

Edit: I found it. Apparently it doesn't go to the same place as the first 2 episodes, so it was confusing. Will probably watch tomorrow.

Edited by OwlChemist81

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 3:01 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, if the schedule in which Yashahime was acquired is any guide, we're talking Spring-Summer 2023. But it COULD still show up earlier.

They hadn't uploaded Episode 3 to Hulu yet as of this afternoon, at least not according to my search. The first 2 episodes uploaded at 3 PM Eastern on Fridays (11/4  and 11/11, respectively), so I wonder when this one was added?

Edit: I found it. Apparently it doesn't go to the same place as the first 2 episodes, so it was confusing. Will probably watch tomorrow.

Yeesh, I hope it doesn't take as long as Yashahime!

I think there are just two places for the show on Hulu.  Japanese and English, and one for Spanish.

Anyway, cast lists have been updated as more characters appear and get speaking lines.  I couldn't remember when Kenpachi first got some lines.  But, he has been cast, and he is played by Patrick Seitz again.  Maybe it was a forgone conclusion Lodge would never return.  It's unfortunate, but I hope fans aren't giving Patrick Seitz shit over it.  Maybe if dubbing companies can't get back the original voice actor, they err more on the side of getting the person back who last played the role, than casting someone new.  On the plus side, this should at least confirm that Seitz is back to play Isshin.

I don't know how many here are familiar with David Wald, but I think he would've made a great choice to play Kenpachi.  He played Vetto on Black Clover, Bulat on Akame Ga Kill, and Gajeel on Fairy Tail.  Gajeel looks and acts a lot like Kenpachi, ironically enough.  Also funny he played Tetsutetsu in MHA who also had the power to turn himself into metal like Gajeel!  I don't remember Bulat having that gruff kind of voice, so maybe David Wald has more range than I realized. 

The gruff voice he uses sounds a lot like Jim Cummings, actually.  He could make a suitable replacement for Jim Cummings roles, but looks like he just does anime.

Oh, and apparently there was a friggin Starship Troopers anime movie, and David Wald was in it!

Halibel was recast, with Jeannie Tirado now playing the role.  So, I don't know if this character was recast for the same reason as Chad, or Laura Bailey simply didn't want to return to the role.  Jeannie Tirado seems to be Hispanic, and I don't know if that's why they cast her as Halibel, guessing that she is Hispanic, or just happened to pick someone who is Hispanic.  The Arrancars would've been human originally before they died and became Hollows and then Arrancars, but I don't think we know much of their human lives.  I think we got a hint on Ulquiorra, but it was in some side story?  I looked and neither Laura Bailey or Jeannie Tirado addressed the casting on their social media, unless I didn't see it.

Spoiler

But at any rate, unless the anime greatly expands Halibel's role in this arc, it won't make much difference.

I do hope Laura Bailey will return as Hiyori, but given she has only played Tohru Honda in a Fruits Basket movie this year, along with a couple other anime roles in recent previous years, mostly focusing on videogames and western animation, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anyway, the more this anime goes along, the more the idea of it being on Disney + in international markets is HILARIOUS.

Disney content, ladies and gentlemen 🤣 -

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I looked over more of the cast lists for the dub.  Why the heck were Ukitake and Shinji recast?  Neither one of the original VAs are dead or canceled.  What's more, Aleks Le is playing both of them?  So he's playing three characters in this show, including Ryunosuke?  All three of those characters have drastically different voices, so I hope he is doing a good job at them.  I might have to watch more dubbed episodes now just to check that.

Liam O'brien had a very distinctive voice.  I really liked his work as Ukitake.  He also played Dr. Tenma on Monster and Gaara on Naruto.  Looks like he has done very little voice acting in the past 2 years.  But he returned to play Gaara on Boruto (but not sure if that show or dub is still going and how much Gaara is in it,) so I don't know why he didn't return as Ukitake.  On his Twitter, all he really talks about is Vox Machina and Critical Role...

It is Roger Craig Smith who played Shinji.  I liked how he played Shinji too.  Roger Craig Smith is one of the major Sonic voice actors, so not sure if that is taking up too much of his time.

Anne Yatco playing both Bambietta and Meninas is pretty odd.  Especially since  I'm sure those two will interact at least a decent amount.

This show is doing a lot of voice actor recycling for some reason.  I know the original series did that, but I thought that practice had mostly ended at this point.

I can't get over that Lex Lang was/is the voice of Omaeda.  It's far out of his usual range!

Well, thank god Kyle Hebert is back as Aizen.

Oh, David Lodge posted this tweet.  I guess there really wasn't much chance of him returning to the role, unfortunately.  He said he was even willing to return for low pay, for the fans.  But... I can't find the tweet on his page.  Did he delete it?  Anyway, here is an article that still has it quoted.

https://www.cbr.com/bleach-kenpachi-original-actor-slams-studio-ignoring-fans/