UnevenEdge

new toonami schedule was just revealed

14 hours ago, Ginguy said:

The Discovery people are purging cost ineffective projects and generally tightening ship. I think can survive, but it had better find an audience quickly that provides not only view ratings but online and social engagement as well. In short, a multi-platform engaged audience in the key demo is what the execs are probably looking for before deciding on anything. The best case scenario is that they believe Toonami has this audience, or the potential to create it, and is worth an investment. Worst case, they pull the plug, though I doubt that since there is an audience for anime. Realistic, Toonami transitions to an online platform.

I am optimistic about Toonami now, since the higher higher-ups are interested in quality programming for broadcast, and Toonami has demonstrated a staying power. I wouldn't be surprised to see it transition from purely anime to action animation, but if that means getting reboots of Thundar, Thundercats season 2, perhaps a reboot of the old Dungeons and Dragons show, possibly Hasbro IPs etc., then I'm for it.

I think one thing that limits Toonami’s reach is it’ll being on Saturday only. It’s not competitive, but I’d the least watched night of the week. I feel like expensive projects like Primal and the new Rick and Morty anime are seen as wasted if premiered late on a night like that. So it may be worth looking into expanding outward on other nights if their are projects that have ratings potential. I think they severely limit the Toonami brand and it’s audience potential by confining it to only Saturday. Premeire those bigger shows on weeknights like they plan to, but give them Toonami packaging 

28 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I think one thing that limits Toonami’s reach is it’ll being on Saturday only. It’s not competitive, but I’d the least watched night of the week. I feel like expensive projects like Primal and the new Rick and Morty anime are seen as wasted if premiered late on a night like that. So it may be worth looking into expanding outward on other nights if their are projects that have ratings potential. I think they severely limit the Toonami brand and it’s audience potential by confining it to only Saturday. Premeire those bigger shows on weeknights like they plan to, but give them Toonami packaging 

My concern with an approach like that would be drawing a casual viewer to the flagship Saturday broadcast and having them see older shows and repeats. This might sour the potential for growth. It isn't easy to really grow if your title show is filled with programs that just aren't what your core audience is interested in. Certainly it doesn't help that licensing companies are having a competition to see who can hoard each other into their exclusive streaming platforms, but I think that DeMarco might be on to something by forging direct ties to the Japanese producers.

Certainly a big premier show outside of Saturday can reach a wider audience, but you lose that draw factor to the Saturday broadcast by airing on more viewed nights. Double-edged sword I suppose.

So no new show on July 9. That's disappointing, but at this point my expectations for Toonami are muted anyway. I'll just keep chugging along and watching Primal and Lupin.

The Q&A with DeMarco was enlightening. I especially liked the question (which hasn't been talked about yet here) that Sentai hasn't changed much since the AMC buyout. Looks like us not being able to get their shows is a problem on our buyout. Also, this tease towards a show that could air on the block has me hyped:

[spread hype, not dooming]

4 hours ago, Ginguy said:

My concern with an approach like that would be drawing a casual viewer to the flagship Saturday broadcast and having them see older shows and repeats. This might sour the potential for growth. It isn't easy to really grow if your title show is filled with programs that just aren't what your core audience is interested in. Certainly it doesn't help that licensing companies are having a competition to see who can hoard each other into their exclusive streaming platforms, but I think that DeMarco might be on to something by forging direct ties to the Japanese producers.

Certainly a big premier show outside of Saturday can reach a wider audience, but you lose that draw factor to the Saturday broadcast by airing on more viewed nights. Double-edged sword I suppose.

Yeah I Don't really think  The Casual Audience is going to be all excited about retro shows and reruns if that's all the toonami brand has to offer them....

maybe toonami could make One-Piece like deals for stuff like MHA And Dr.Stone but those probably don't seem as likely(it all depends on how many Japanese Companies still value American Cable TV for promotional purposes like toei does)

regardless we'll probably have to wait until next year for anything to come from toonami judging from how tight money is right now according to demarco and discovery pausing all business preventing them from doing anything until discovery finds out what toonami's purpose really is

Edited by CountFrylock

8 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I'd really like that but as previously stated the streaming wars seem to have killed any hopes of toonami expanding into other nights

Sentai's Catalogue isn't as big as Crunchyroll's so expanding to other nights would probably result in them breezing through the Toonami Suitable Shows quickly and I'm not too sure if there's much of an audience for Romance Anime On Adultswim

Well Primal is premiering this month, but it's on [adult swim] proper with a next day HBO Max airing.

I'd say Toonami needs to find a new InuYasha to appeal to men and women, but somehow, Bastard!! is turning into that.

Edited by Jman

17 hours ago, Jman said:

Well Primal is premiering this month, but it's on [adult swim] proper with a next day HBO Max airing.

I'd say Toonami needs to find a new InuYasha to appeal to men and women, but somehow, Bastard!! is turning into that.

Well they decided to go for a literal new Inuyasha. But... it sucked.

6 hours ago, Daos said:

Yeah, focusing on the kids will do that when you don’t have the writing to make them compelling.  Meanwhile Bastard!! decided the solution was to turn the horny up to 11 (or more accurately, Rumiko decided to dial back the horny and focus on the female audience).

9 hours ago, Daos said:

And for some reason they haven't even managed to get Season 2 of THAT!

BTW, Moroha kinda saves the show. I just wish she were a bit more active in her fight to save her parents than this weird bounty hunter angle. Maybe she IS in the Second Act...

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

And for some reason they haven't even managed to get Season 2 of THAT!

BTW, Moroha kinda saves the show. I just wish she were a bit more active in her fight to save her parents than this weird bounty hunter angle. Maybe she IS in the Second Act...

Yashahime(S2)being absent on toonami has always been a mystery

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:22 AM, Jman said:

as it stands They Need something more than Lupin Part 6 to keep the hype going

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

as it stands They Need something more than Lupin Part 6 to keep the hype going

I’m all ears if there’s something as horny as Bastard!! they can get. 

And isn’t taken by Crunchyroll.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Jman said:

Yeah, focusing on the kids will do that when you don’t have the writing to make them compelling.  Meanwhile Bastard!! decided the solution was to turn the horny up to 11 (or more accurately, Rumiko decided to dial back the horny and focus on the female audience).

Well I mean... we JUST SAW BORUTO and it was well and truly ass.

If you don't have enough story to make Inuyasha without a hundred episodes of filler, do we really need more Inuyasha?

I accept that Toonami can't usually get the big hits until many years have passed. But for some odd reason they can't get the mid tier stuff like Akashic Records? Plus it's sorta horny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i was unaware Being as lewd as possible was the only way to get hype...

jeez man get your mind out of the gutter

When does Toonami ever get lewd stuff?  They’re running on fumes, I noticed a show get popular, so I figured it was doing something to attract an audience.  Honestly, you could look at any popular show and do the same examination.  But no, better to be noble with…nothing, since no one wants to give them anything.

Edited by Jman

2 hours ago, Jman said:

When does Toonami ever get lewd stuff?  They’re running on fumes, I noticed a show get popular, so I figured it was doing something to attract an audience.  Honestly, you could look at any popular show and do the same examination.  But no, better to be noble with…nothing, since no one wants to give them anything.

it's not that nobody wants to give them anything  we know sentai is still on the table

the problem is that the new discovery bosses have hit the pause button so toonami can't do or acquire anything until Discovery pushes play

With Primal Season 2 airing on proper [adult swim] (with a next day HBO Max airing) I wonder if they’ll let Toonami air the Season 2 reruns immediately or if they will be forced to wait for the initial run to wrap.  With Primal all they really have (Uzumaki is delayed yet again, the FLCL sequels no one asked for…again are probably a year away at earliest, and no one wants to share anything with Toonami, which they can’t purchase anyway until Discovery gives them the OK), it could be the difference between a hot summer show and months of absolutely nothing.  Nada. Naranjas.  Jack crap.  

Till then, prepare for a barren few months.

2 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Joe Pera and The Shivering Truth got canned.

Conglomerate mergers are bad for artistic risk. I do think there's something behind the idea of WB getting rid of the linear channels in favor of churning hits for HBO Max.

Ever since that Demarco Q&A where he confirmed the discovery bosses had put everything on hold across the board so they could determine what everyone's purpose was

it's felt like they don't really understand anything and just like to pretend they know what's best for everyone because they are the bosses after all

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Shivering Truth, I already knew from Demarco's AMA, but Joe Pera too? Damn, at this rate, [as] really is gonna undergo true network decay.

[i hate it when the pessimists are right]

seen some people say anyone that thinks adultswim's going down the toilet is overreacting and that this  is just business as usual

that no buy-out/merger has sunk adultswim yet and there's no reason to believe this one will either

Edited by CountFrylock

AS cancelling shows after a few seasons is nothing new but I’m very bummed about Joe Pera in particular. The Eric Andre Show is the only live action show that is guaranteed to get another season on AS. Some would say AS bailing on live action programming is a good thing but I’m not celebrating.

13 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Ever since that Demarco Q&A where he confirmed the discovery bosses had put everything on hold across the board so they could determine what everyone's purpose was

it's felt like they don't really understand anything and just like to pretend they know what's best for everyone because they are the bosses after all

They understand money. That’s what these execs are known for. I knew this was going to happen. Lazzo and them were fine with most ideas as long as they were cheap and would usually give things some time before canceling. Zaslov is known for his ruthless cost cutting and being coy about what he’s going to do

He’s known for coming in acting like your best buddy who loves what you’re doing so you talk more- then pulling the plug 

• D'oh 1

8 hours ago, brianycpht said:

They understand money. That’s what these execs are known for. I knew this was going to happen. Lazzo and them were fine with most ideas as long as they were cheap and would usually give things some time before canceling. Zaslov is known for his ruthless cost cutting and being coy about what he’s going to do

He’s known for coming in acting like your best buddy who loves what you’re doing so you talk more- then pulling the plug 

that kind of talk makes me iffy about the plans they might have for toonami

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'm just gonna see how things play out and not bother myself with assumptions based on the ultimate head honcho's previous engagements. Reputations aren't everything 100% of the time.

OMG TOONAMI CANCELED EVERYONE PANIC!

Is that not helping?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

nobody's saying toonami's canceled or that it's gonna die soon so I'm not sure why we keep going back around to thinking such a thing.....with that said  discovery channel isn't exactly known for riveting content

Look At what TLC Regularly airs and You'll get the picture

stuff like 90 day fiancee is what they consider quality entertainment

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Not particularly, no. 💩

I was tempted to make a joke thread titled "Toonami Canceled" but I figured one or two people wouldn't see the humor in it =P

Edited by Daos
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 4:05 PM, CountFrylock said:

so according to demarco  toonami has a ton of plans right now but the problem is the brand new bosses have put everything on pause all across the company as they determine what they want everyone to do so they can't do much right now and they don't have much money

So basically we are in a holding pattern until the powers that be decided what the fuck they want to do.  

I hate all these mergers and buy-outs.  Plus, it seems like the government has been way too lenient on what it considers monopolistic behavior in recent years.  We need Teddy Roosevelt back!

And did Demarco change his mind about not talking about this stuff?

On 6/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, Jman said:

We need to find a new equivalent of Moribito that someone hasn't licensed, have an ad where Toonami admits the show will bomb, and then it will be a cemented dark age.

You're really going to keep talking shit about Moribito, then say Toonami should get cringe-ass RWBY?  I've seen clips, and RWBY looks like a PS2 game with horrible voice acting.

I'm wondering how long we'll have double naruto on the block...it's practically guaranteed at this point Double naruto will return the week after the doubled up Primal S2 reruns

because....what else would they add in that time slot?

the discovery freeze is probably still happening

although i have no idea what plans they might have for the block....They'll really have to support toonami 110% due to sony wanting nothing to do with the block and options being very limited right now

originals are cool and all but they don't have enough of those to consistently fill the block

Edited by CountFrylock

On 7/15/2022 at 11:52 AM, Jman said:

S2 of Primal and Yashahime will both hit before the end of the month.  Given the size of the block, that’s probably going to be enough to carry it through to the fall and beyond.

there's also the chance shenmue gets replaced by a new series when it's rerun concludes

however that would require them to demote a series on the block...still though i don't see many options that would allow them to keep the backend rerun slots to continue

with CR Titles off limits you are basically down to playing stuff that they can use at anytime and it wasn't that long ago bebop finished another rerun so can't go back to that so soon