UnevenEdge

new toonami schedule was just revealed

13 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Someone on the toonami reddit  pointed out that it's concerning that lupin and one piece have been forced to headline the block due to them never being all that successful nielsen ratings wise on toonami

I think Lupin and One Piece have proven their usefulness in recent months and earned a chance to air earlier, but maybe that’s just me.

Yeah get through the filleryomi sooner and take less than two years to finish Shippuden!

Lupin getting to be the 2nd show on the block is a hell of a thing and One Piece at one, like God intended.

I’m only watching till 2am starting next week, so I can go to sleep earlier or throw on something else to wind down but I’m glad the smug haters weren’t right about the block dropping 3:30am. I will probably rewatch Primal eps 6-10 because I only saw each of them once before. Maybe I’ll rewatch episode 5 as well because it’s freak’n rad.

Things look dire but I don’t think that’s because Toonami is in danger. The unexciting lineup in recent weeks has been doing better than when Shenmue and Titan were premieres. Which is both a win but also feels like a loss.

They can start a show any time but clearly it’s never been harder to get something and I really hope that’s not due to a lack of budget.

It’s looking to be an uneventful Summer and AS won’t even premiere Primal season 2 on Toonami but the encores should do more than well enough to support Toonami. It still a waste of potential but Genndy gonna Genndy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Negative: It's a full hour of Shippuden filler. Guess it's a double-edged Rasengan.

A double-edged Rasen Shuriken would be a more accurate idiom.

Really, I saw this as a likely outcome, so really, I'm content with this announcement. Disappointed, obviously, but still content. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The most frustrating thing is we are entirely in the dark when it comes to knowing most of what Toonami has been trying to get and who will come to the table at all. It’s hard to believe that Toei and TMS are the only companies that want their wares on cable television. I have not given up hope that Toho will push for MHA to return to Toonami but it could go either way.

I don’t think WBD would bother giving precious as-space to the block if they didn’t intend to support it so I don’t think the acquisition budget is why they’re so limited still.

Edited by Sketch

HAHAHAH holy shit that sucks. Not even a bone to throw to the dogs eh Demarco?

And now you know why he quit Twitter. He wanted no part of the hatestorm that was a comin. They were gonna tear his ass up.

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 2

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

The most frustrating thing is we are entirely in the dark when it comes to knowing most of what Toonami has been trying to get and who will come to the table at all. It’s hard to believe that Toei and TMS are the only companies that want their wares on cable television. I have not given up hope that Toho will push for MHA to return to Toonami but it could go either way.

I don’t think WBD would bother giving precious as-space to the block if they didn’t intend to support it so I don’t think the acquisition budget is why they’re so limited still.

that's the most perplexing thing about this schedule  it comes when WBD is promoting toonami on other channels and as you said they wouldn't be doing that if they didn't want to support the block

so the question then becomes...what's the issue?

i don't think they intend on double naruto being a permanent fixture on the block like double one piece has been

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

is this you?....

This guy. I officially hate him.

Also, I would very much appreciate it if you never posted any of this waste of bytes' tweets ever again. I blocked him on the main platform, and I really don't want to see him anywhere else.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Thanks 2

anyone wanna guess how long doubled up shippuden is going to last?

i doubt nobody wants to work with them and i see this as a temporary fixture on the block not a permanent one

which is why I'll be very surprised if after a couple weeks we're still seeing double shipp on the block

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

If my theory is correct, double Shippuden only lasts for one week and we get Yashahime Second Act next week, because it's around the same time its predecessor showed up last year. I hope I'm right.

Hopefully....

Edited by CountFrylock

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

If my theory is correct, double Shippuden only lasts for one week and we get Yashahime Second Act next week, because it's around the same time its predecessor showed up last year. I hope I'm right.

You might be right but I won’t see that as much of an upgrade and I’d be annoyed if One Piece was pushed back down so soon.

I don’t think double Shippuden will last more than a month or so but it could feasibly last a while if they hold off on adding anything else until the 3am shows are finished.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

This guy. I officially hate him.

Also, I would very much appreciate it if you never posted any of this waste of bytes' tweets ever again. I blocked him on the main platform, and I really don't want to see him anywhere else.

They have 11 followers and effectively no reach. Pretty sure I have seen their commentary on Anime Super Hero and 4chan. It certainly reads like them and regurgitates the same arguments. And on Twitter they follow Toonami Faithful staff, CN Schedule Archive and barely anyone else. I think they need a new hobby. One should not dedicate themselves so much to critiquing a television block.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

That wouldn't be too bad an idea... if Discotek got the broadcast rights to its licensed shows and not just the home video ones.

They don’t usually (if ever) get the TV rights but Discotek did help Toonami get Lupin Part 4 so maybe they can help them get something else in the future.

lion-king-ed.gif

Well, at least we will get through the Shippuden filler faster!  On the other hand, we've got to sit through and hour of Shippuden filler every week!

And whatever announcements and good things on the horizon Toonami has, I hope we don't have to wait too long to find out!

• Like 1

Interesting. So Toonami had yet another deal go wonky and now they have to wait to, say, air more YashaHime? This block can't catch a break. It could be a weird error, as the block has had those in recent times in various flavors (like the whole "airing one new show a week for the next month" thing, or an AssClass topcial having the wrong time), but at this point, I'm not seeing it.

[it's just a cartoon block; you should relax]

On 6/19/2022 at 6:58 AM, CountFrylock said:

so...they said double naruto wouldn't be happening next week even though online schedules say otherwise at the moment and a shenmue marathon is on the horizon

so was that a mistake?...or do they have a new show planned for next week only to give it a break after that

So they either fucked up or the show got delayed for some reason.  If there ever was a show.  Glad I didn't get my hopes up lol.

16 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

according to the latest toonami facebook update...it was a screw up

hmmm toonami.JPG

I see.  Well, settle in and buckle up for more Naruto Filler Hell Power Hour, ya'll!  At least this way the filler, and the show overall, will go by faster haha.

7 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I see.  Well, settle in and buckle up for more Naruto Filler Hell Power Hour, ya'll!  At least this way the filler, and the show overall, will go by faster haha.

I'm not even sure what they could even acquire at this point....it's seeming like even picking up Yashahime S2 might be a problem for them

Edited by CountFrylock

25 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Well I'm not surprised. I only had a little bit of hope they would introduce a new show after the marathon week but really had no earthly idea what they could pull in by then.

The Only one most people could theorize was Yashahime S2

Edited by CountFrylock

Crunchyroll/HiDive/Netflix have everything, and they don't want to share.  Really, what else can people expect at this point?  Toonami still has no budget, and with the CR partnership up in smoke due to the merger and sale to Sony, Sentai's purchase by AMC for reasons that still escape most of the business world, and precious few studios that still want to play ball, there's only so much you can do to stretch the dollar.   You know it's bad when Warner still owns Rooster Teeth (for however little value that studio has) and Crunchyroll got the RWBY anime.  

Speaking of, this is what it feels like Toonami can put out -

This is what Crunchyroll can put out - 

Edited by Jman

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Like I said, a second ACTN Dark Age.

We need to find a new equivalent of Moribito that someone hasn't licensed, have an ad where Toonami admits the show will bomb, and then it will be a cemented dark age.

"It'll bomb, sure, but we're going to air it anyway, because fuck you." That's how I interpreted that bump, at least.

Bonus points if it gets booted to the 5AM Nonsexy Hour after three episodes, takes an unprecedented hiatus after ten, and it takes less than a year but too long for the already impatient to air the rest.

All this stuff costs money.  Making new shows costs money.  Licensing DC shows costs money.  Taking some crappy web animation and hiring SHAFT to give it a glow up from QUALITY to genuine Sakuga costs money.  And by their own admission, they don’t have any.  So what do you do?

The Discovery people are purging cost ineffective projects and generally tightening ship. I think can survive, but it had better find an audience quickly that provides not only view ratings but online and social engagement as well. In short, a multi-platform engaged audience in the key demo is what the execs are probably looking for before deciding on anything. The best case scenario is that they believe Toonami has this audience, or the potential to create it, and is worth an investment. Worst case, they pull the plug, though I doubt that since there is an audience for anime. Realistic, Toonami transitions to an online platform.

I am optimistic about Toonami now, since the higher higher-ups are interested in quality programming for broadcast, and Toonami has demonstrated a staying power. I wouldn't be surprised to see it transition from purely anime to action animation, but if that means getting reboots of Thundar, Thundercats season 2, perhaps a reboot of the old Dungeons and Dragons show, possibly Hasbro IPs etc., then I'm for it.

4 hours ago, Ginguy said:

The Discovery people are purging cost ineffective projects and generally tightening ship. I think can survive, but it had better find an audience quickly that provides not only view ratings but online and social engagement as well. In short, a multi-platform engaged audience in the key demo is what the execs are probably looking for before deciding on anything. The best case scenario is that they believe Toonami has this audience, or the potential to create it, and is worth an investment. Worst case, they pull the plug, though I doubt that since there is an audience for anime. Realistic, Toonami transitions to an online platform.

I am optimistic about Toonami now, since the higher higher-ups are interested in quality programming for broadcast, and Toonami has demonstrated a staying power. I wouldn't be surprised to see it transition from purely anime to action animation, but if that means getting reboots of Thundar, Thundercats season 2, perhaps a reboot of the old Dungeons and Dragons show, possibly Hasbro IPs etc., then I'm for it.

could toonami crank out enough originals to fill the schedule all year round is the question?

Edited by CountFrylock

4 hours ago, Jman said:

All this stuff costs money.  Making new shows costs money.  Licensing DC shows costs money.  Taking some crappy web animation and hiring SHAFT to give it a glow up from QUALITY to genuine Sakuga costs money.  And by their own admission, they don’t have any.  So what do you do?

if i had to guess(once discovery allows them to resume business as usual)they'll focus on cheaper retro content and originals

but there's no clue how successful that plan would be....if toonami had simply been a retro anime block right from the get go with some originals spliced in

what would have changed?

Edited by CountFrylock