UnevenEdge

Why is Samurai Jack so popular?

Zenigundam

Seriously wtf is this about? Remember back in 2001 when SJ premiered on CN and they basically promoted it to death like it was the best cartoon ever made. They premiered it as a movie and gave it premieres once a week on Monday nights at I believe 8, maybe 9, can't remember, and then it won all sorts of awards, but it really wasn't THAT good. I think because Dexter's Laboratory was created by SJ's creator, that caused it to receive undue hype. I never hated Samurai Jack, but I only considered it above average compared to my favorite cartoons/anime.

Yeah so what the F*CK is this all about with Samurai Jack season 5 getting nearly 1,000,000 viewers on Adult Swim? Honestly, why is it always so popular? It annoys me because my favorite anime, which are way better in quality, have received much less fanfare over the years on Toonami and Adult Swim, and now Samurai Jack airs a mediocre first episode with BS happening, and somehow it's amazing and everybody watches It. Lol, I mean whatever, I'll just enjoy my favorites, but I honestly want to know why it appeals to viewers and much better animation does not.

The truth strikes harder to home for some people I guess. Samurai Jack is nothing special.

Let's check those ratings again.

Or the absolutely glowing reviews from publications a lot more credible than Zeni.

Or Twitter.

Let's check those ratings again.

Or the absolutely glowing reviews from publications a lot more credible than Zeni.

Or Twitter.

I really wish more than ever that the ancient ASMB archives were still accessible, because I would absolutely love to dig up some of your past posts ("It's a ripoff of a bunch of things that do it better!") and rub your nose in them like a puppy that's messed on the rug.

Seriously wtf is this about? Remember back in 2001 when SJ premiered on CN and they basically promoted it to death like it was the best cartoon ever made. They premiered it as a movie and gave it premieres once a week on Monday nights at I believe 8, maybe 9, can't remember, and then it won all sorts of awards, but it really wasn't THAT good. I think because Dexter's Laboratory was created by SJ's creator, that caused it to receive undue hype. I never hated Samurai Jack, but I only considered it above average compared to my favorite cartoons/anime.

Yeah so what the F*CK is this all about with Samurai Jack season 5 getting nearly 1,000,000 viewers on Adult Swim? Honestly, why is it always so popular? It annoys me because my favorite anime, which are way better in quality, have received much less fanfare over the years on Toonami and Adult Swim, and now Samurai Jack airs a mediocre first episode with BS happening, and somehow it's amazing and everybody watches It. Lol, I mean whatever, I'll just enjoy my favorites, but I honestly want to know why it appeals to viewers and much better animation does not.

Zeni, you a busta.

1.) The power of Nostalgia triumphs.

2.) Keep in mind Toonami is NOT an anime block. It is an ACTION block. 

3.) Why don't you think it has good animation?

it is spectaular, though. it has a grace and a gravitas that were pretty rare in its time. we didnt gt a lot of American cartoons with that kind of vibe. plus, Genndy Tartakovsky's action style is fairly unique. you could see it in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars miniseries. he isn't afraid of long, silent pauses and slow pans before explosions of action and a hint of shaky cam before shaky cam became overdone in american cinema (and we still don't often get it in American action cartoons)

people could sense that there was something different in Samurai Jack's presentation and they gravitated towards it. These days,it's still prtty unique, but not quite as groundbreaking, but the addition of more adult themes and violence ups the ante on the series' charm. it's one of the few American shows of its time that approached what made kids excited about anime. it didn't talk down to them and presented the struggle against evil in a slightly different context than was usually given to us.

It has several qualities that are rather rare in most childhood targeted American cartoons. Such as the pretty selective use of dialogue, use of surrealist imagery, a rather unique art style, and the action scenes are easily some of the best ever in any modern western cartoon.

These are qualities only really seen in cartoons made in the early to mid 90s (normally speaking). Of course I don't watch much American animation these days, so who knows maybe they have finally stopped pooping out colors on paper and finally returned to substance combined with decent art.

Watch your mouth there, Top Gun. I don't appreciate foul language in my threads.

*shoves Top Gun to the ground*

And nobody likes having to see creepy zeni making 20 threads about women from OKC

It's a two way street and nobody wants you in the street to begin with

Oh no. :|

I can actually talk about Jack without feeling frothing rage.  Let's see how much more adult it can get.

Well I need to keep in touch with the original users we already have a back already

Currently trying to get glaxain a Dev account

Need another Dev on here besides viper and myself

It's the only thing worth watching on Toonami right now. Unless Tokyo Ghoul is good, I don't know much about it.

It isn't. It's almost Dimension W level of bad and Casshern sins level of boring.

I watched every episode of school days. I dropped TG around episode 9.

It isn't. It's almost Dimension W level of bad and Casshern sins level of boring.

I watched every episode of school days. I dropped TG around episode 9.

Fuck. FUCK.

I hated that show after two episodes of viewing it.

I hope I like it more than Dimension W, but fuck, it'll just be another time slot I tune out for if it's really that bad.