UnevenEdge

Zap2it: Tokyo Ghoul at 1 AM; Hunter x Hunter 1:30 AM; Gundam Unicorn 2 AM

Maybe, maybe not. It's pretty possible they aren't quite sure. This isn't a good problem to have. They have a new show that needs a decent timeslot, which means something is moving down. Depending on what's coming next, they may not want to push down Jojo or Gundam, but do they really want to put HXH at 2am? As the next resident long runner, I can see the logic with putting it with Shippuden. But it's a decently performing dub premere that is about to get really good and deserves a wide audience. It's like deciding which of your children goes without dinner!

Yeah.........why Jojo?  Why does Jojo out of the other new premieres they're running get to stay in its timeslot??  What is their reasoning behind that?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't know why they wanted this show.  The show would have been better if they had stayed true to the manga. 

So many other shows that could have been grabbed.

Reasons  I can guess for why it's Tokyo Ghoul

- it's been one of the consistently requested Toonami shows for a few years now and i suppose they wanted to grant yet more of the Faithful's wishes

- maybe it wasn't the most expensive shows they could get, so it was easy to pay for it

Naruto speaking to Gon: "Is this your first day at 2AM? Welcome to Hell."

This deal just keeps getting worse and worse.

I saw this coming but I wanted to believe they wouldn't hose Hunter in less than a year.

If this was inevitable why did they even bother picking up Hunter? How can a dub premiere of a 148 episode series succeed at 2AM much less behind a niche show like Gundam? Ugh... People will say "you should just be happy that it's airing at all" and I am happy about that but I'm not the least bit happy that within less than a year of it starting they have already buried it to a slot it will only escape via completion, moving to 2:30 or getting pulled of the air. The only chance it has of airing earlier is if the whole block shifts earlier. What a crock of shit for Hunter x Hunter.

At least JoJo doesn't move. That either says it's actually doing well enough or they just plan on replacing within about a month when it's season ends. Might be a combination of the two.

One more good thing from this: I can now go to bed at 2:30 AM instead of 3 AM, because I always skip Naruto. 

bojack-horseman-season-2-netflix-still-.jpg

I think I'm gonna make it a habit to not comment on show-themed threads for shows that have massive backlash toward them.  Maybe i should not comment live during the block when Toyko Ghoul is on.  .... in fact, his is something I should've done in the old boards for SAO and SAO II.  Maybe it would've saved me from quitting 3 times.

so I watched Tokyo Ghouls opening

much like every terrible anime the opening is misleadingly nice

also I'm already trying to bookmark some gifs and images I can use to lampoon it, just gotta decide on the best one since I don't wanna just repeat the dance gifs I used for One Piece

Yup Unravel is a great song. Sad that it's wasted on TG.

Yup Unravel is a great song. Sad that it's wasted on TG.

yeah

side note I looked up the TV trope page, it has a MASSIVE hoyay (gay subtext) page

it'll be so fun to have yet another show that implies homosexuality then violently asserts that homosexuality doesn't exist when fans notice the subtext...like Naruto -_'

edit: and apparently the show has it's own version of

Puri puri prisoner.....namely a gay rapist....except this one is a gay rapist who also eats people

I picked out a pretty good assortment of reaction images and gifs to mock TG with

mostly related to homophobia and cannibalism which I hear the show has in spades

this is gonna be AGK all over again, I'm so excited for the hate watch!!!  >:( <3

Yeah.........why Jojo?  Why does Jojo out of the other new premieres they're running get to stay in its timeslot??  What is their reasoning behind that?

One reason could be money. I think Jojo was expensive. The other reason is that they have something ready to go for April for that timeslot so there's no sense in moving it now. I don't think we are going into Stardust Crusadors right now. I think it's going to be something somewhat new and popular like Mob, possibly Titan.

- it's been one of the consistently requested Toonami shows for a few years now and i suppose they wanted to grant yet more of the Faithful's wishes

- maybe it wasn't the most expensive shows they could get, so it was easy to pay for it

It very well could have been that a the price for Tokyo Ghoul dropped and Toonami picked it up at a steal this year

they didn't care about granting the faithful's wishes when they passed on Sailor Moon

they didn't care about granting the faithful's wishes when they passed on Sailor Moon

Because they only have so many slots to fill with a limited # of days per year and maybe other circumstances that we viewers aren't aware of perspired that prevented them from getting it?

>gundam unicorn before hxh

for what purpose

tg is 2 years too late at this point, but good on them to replace op with it.

People thought Soul Eater was two years too late and THAT performed- wait a minute no that's not true. NO ONE ever cared about Soul Eater than me. ;_;

It very well could have been that a the price for Tokyo Ghoul dropped and Toonami picked it up at a steal this year

A third reason I just came up with

- One Piece leaving was clearly not the Toonami crew's decision and it appeared to be out of their control.  This, and the two-weeks notice only asserts this guess.  So they only had a few weeks to get a new show they NEVER really considering getting, from the ground up.  Similar situation with the Samurai Champloo reruns to replace their intended acquisition of Lupin III: A Woman Named Fujiko Mine.

I enjoyed Soul Eater, though at that time I was commenting more on Toonami Faithful forums.  I didn't join ASMB until the end of 2013.

It was clearly just one of those shows that was "just there".  And once it finished, Toonami didn't rerun it, and no one ever mentioned it again.

HAHA!, I was looking for what I thought sounded like the most pretentious image I could think of that I could use to lampoon Tokyo Ghoul

I searched "Bloody red Spider Lily"

Tokyo Ghoul fan art was one of the first results xD

HAHA!, I was looking for what I thought sounded like the most pretentious image I could think of that I could use to lampoon Tokyo Ghoul

I searched "Bloody red Spider Lily"

Tokyo Ghoul fan art was one of the first results xD

Mike-Tyson-clapping-and-laughing.gif

People thought Soul Eater was two years too late and THAT performed- wait a minute no that's not true. NO ONE ever cared about Soul Eater than me. ;_;

That's just not true! Soul Eater had an average start time of 1:24 AM and did about as well as InuYasha: The Final Act with its average start time of 1:25 AM!

Wow, Unicorn must not be performing to expectations to get bumped down like that. I hope they still pick up IBO2. If it continues to slide we may even see it swap with Naruto. I hope this is more than just a slight reprieve for HXH. It's a great show and deserves a great timeslot. I just have a feeling that the next new show could push it back again.

oh

It's Brooke centered filler where he gets to spend more quality time with his new crew among other things, and it's actually a rather nice little episode.

Whether this all was a sorta last minute situation for Demarco or not either way it seems choosing One Piece's departure to be this weekend ensured it wouldn't be leaving in the middle of a arc.

Wow, Unicorn must not be performing to expectations to get bumped down like that. I hope they still pick up IBO2. If it continues to slide we may even see it swap with Naruto. I hope this is more than just a slight reprieve for HXH. It's a great show and deserves a great timeslot. I just have a feeling that the next new show could push it back again.

This does kinda beg the question of whether Toonami's supposed Gundam timeslot would remine should Unicorn end up with not so great ratings after being moved far down the block past Hunter. If IBO season 2 was next in line to air, could Unicorn with suddenly terrible ratings change everything.

The question is, is Gundam Unicorn still going to be considered a "cable original" if it airs that late in the night? The latest timeslot anything considered a cable original aired was 1:30 AM (InuYasha: The Final Act; Sword Art Online II)

Then again, it actually got beat by 2 AM "FILLER" on ESPN last week so I'm leaning toward "yes!"

That's just not true! Soul Eater had an average start time of 1:24 AM and did about as well as InuYasha: The Final Act with its average start time of 1:25 AM!

You know, "average start time" is probably one of those things you just made up to seem like a genius when it comes to scheduling. <_>

But as for the new lineup... yeah, I'll take it. At least HxH isn't getting sort-of screwed.

No, Average Start Time (AST) is a real thing. I use it whenever a show doesn't complete its run in the same timeslot that it began.

For example with a short show which changed timeslots, Hellsing Ultimate started at 3 AM for its first 2 episodes, aired 6 more at 2 AM, and then its final 2 were at midnight. To get its average start time, you do the math: (3 x 2 + 2 x 6 + 0 x 2)/10 = (6 + 12)/10 = 18/10 = 1.8. And finally, since 0.8 x 60 = 48, that makes its AST 1:48.

Similarly, One-Punch Man aired its first 10 episodes at midnight, and its last 2 at 12:30. So it would be (0 x 10 + 0.5 x 2)/12 = 1/12. As 1/12 of 60 is 5, that makes its AST 12:05.

It becomes useful if you graph ASTs on one axis and average ratings on the other at determining definitively whether a show overperforms or underperforms!

No, Average Start Time (AST) is a real thing. I use it whenever a show doesn't complete its run in the same timeslot that it began.

Well, I get that, but merely doing an average start time for a show won't tell you everything about its performance. You have to take into account some other things, such as the lead-in for Toonami itself, where the block is airing, bad weeks now and then, and other things.

After seeing IBO and Unicorn I'm honestly not sure how Gundam ever became a thing.

Eh, maybe it's not you're type of thing or you don't like mecha then, not everything is going to be for everyone.

Gundam became thing because it's had some fantastic shows (like how Wing and G both did amazing on the old block). Not a huge fan of IBO season 1 (especially it's start-stop-start-stop pacing) but I really like Unicorn a lot.

I wish Gundam was still in the 1-2AM hour since Unicorn is good, but it can always move up again as it's a franchise that will always have fresh content around for them to choose from as new shows get made if they want them.

Also, I think Jojo staying earlier than Tokyo Ghoul is more that Jojo is likely to continue beyond this season on the block rather than something to do with Tokyo Ghoul itself. So it's wise to keep it as hot as possible. Also its content kind of follows DBZ pretty well.

Really surprised that Jojo doesn't keep more viewers than it seems like it does.

I don't think it's ratings moving Gundam, I think it's them trying to balance content styles throughout the night. It's a "mature-ish paced" dialogue heavy show in between the action that like most Gundam (especially UC stuff) dabbles in a lot of political scheming and "long game".

I'd be surprised if they don't get IBO season 2.

For example, Gill has even gone on to say that Michiko and Hatchin was quite successful in its run, even though a lot of people say that it didn't do well for example.

Eh, maybe it's not you're type of thing or you don't like mecha then, not everything is going to be for everyone.

Gundam became thing because it's had some fantastic shows (like how Wing and G both did amazing on the old block). Not a huge fan of IBO season 1 (especially it's start-stop-start-stop pacing) but I really like Unicorn a lot.

I wish Gundam was still in the 1-2AM hour since Unicorn is good, but it can always move up again as it's a franchise that will always have fresh content around for them to choose from as new shows get made if they want them.

The issue isn't with "mecha."  The issue is the obnoxious ham-fisted preaching and annoying, whiny crybaby characters.  I liked G and IBO because they were largely devoid of this.  Unfortunately, Unicorn seems to have a lot of the typical Gundam stuff in it that drives me up a wall.  Doesn't help that it's nearly impossible to follow, as well.  Only time you know what's going on are in the recaps.

Plenty of people enjoyed Soul Eater, myself included.  Don't know why you always say this.

I think Soul Eater was well past two years late, though, considering people wanted it instead of Kekkaishi.  It seems there's no expiration date on shows for Toonami.  Which is nice.  Though, I think we would've gotten Soul Eater closer to the peak of its hype if the ASA brain trust hadn't been in charge at the time.  Toonami was very much correcting one of ASA's multiple cases of dropping the ball there, same with Final Act and Gurren Lagann.  Tokyo Ghoul was probably the best thing they could come up with on short notice after they got blindsided by One Piece's axing, and it might have been cheaper since it wasn't as hot anymore.

Gundum should get GiTS spot.  GiTS should move up to HxH's spot.  HxH should get Gundum's old spot.  Both DB shows stay the same as well as JoJo.  Cancel Naruto.  And I'll hold off on Tokyo Ghoul as I have never seen the show nor know anything about it.

Yeah right that's bullsh-t. Gundam Unicorn is far more sophistacted than the other crap on Toonami.

Look all these shonen series are for little babies. Cancel DB Super, DBZ Kai, Naruto, and Hunter x Hunter.

Ever since Mobile Fighter G Gundam ended on Toonami, I've never watched a Gundam series that I enjoyed.

I'm being fucking serious. I tried sitting through IBO, and I couldn't do it. I tried three episodes of Unicorn and fell asleep partly through two of them. They aren't for me. Too many politics, plus a fucked up sleep schedule. It lulls me to sleep, and it never fails at doing so, so I don't even watch it now.

That being said, I enjoy mecha anime. But I prefer the hammish, silly kind. Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, that kind of stuff. But not Gundam for some reason.

It also surprises me that Unicorn is being pushed behind HxH. I haven't being paying much attention to its ratings though, and HxH is at it's "good point" (YorkNew City). And I'm looking forward to Tokyo Ghoul, even though I haven't gone out of my way to see it. Now I have no excuse not to watch it, because it's in the same line-up of shows as other anime I'm watching.