UnevenEdge

Zap2it: Tokyo Ghoul at 1 AM; Hunter x Hunter 1:30 AM; Gundam Unicorn 2 AM

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gyaos[/member]

Gundam Unicorn is great, so blame it on your sleep schedule. G Gundam aired at 5pm when Toonami was on weekdays, so you couldn't fall asleep for that unless you were f---ng liting weights all day long and passed out when you got home.

Blame it on it airing late on Saturday nights. You love Unicorn. I want you to tell me that. "I love Gundam Unicorn" and then I'll get my hand off of your throat...

Gyaos[/member]

Gundam Unicorn is great, so blame it on your sleep schedule. G Gundam aired at 5pm when Toonami was on weekdays, so you couldn't fall asleep for that unless you were f---ng liting weights all day long and passed out when you got home.

Blame it on it airing late on Saturday nights. You love Unicorn. I want you to tell me that. "I love Gundam Unicorn" and then I'll get my hand off of your throat...

I'm saying that I enjoyed G Gundam. I haven't enjoyed any other Gundam series since that time.

Hell, I was 10 or eleven when that series was playing on Toonami. There's no way it couldn't capture my attention.

Hmmm yeah well I was 10 when Gundam Wing started airing on Toonami, ya know back in the chubby Tom days, and I really disliked it. I actively avoided watching it after seeing a few episodes because it bored me to death. G Gundam was different because it was action-packed and over the top whereas Wing was political and talky and you had to like the characters and their unique Gundams to like it basically.

Unicorn is more or less a more talky version of Mobile Suit Gundam, which I also loved, albeit with a plot that is a bit more intricate and ostensibly not without its imperfections. For a UC Gundam like this, you have to really appreciate the backstory of the Universal Century timeline and you have to immerse yourself in the drama of the small scale story that operates within the greater battle/war.

Ever since Mobile Fighter G Gundam ended on Toonami, I've never watched a Gundam series that I enjoyed.

I'm being fucking serious. I tried sitting through IBO, and I couldn't do it. I tried three episodes of Unicorn and fell asleep partly through two of them. They aren't for me. Too many politics, plus a fucked up sleep schedule. It lulls me to sleep, and it never fails at doing so, so I don't even watch it now.

That being said, I enjoy mecha anime. But I prefer the hammish, silly kind. Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, that kind of stuff. But not Gundam for some reason.

It also surprises me that Unicorn is being pushed behind HxH. I haven't being paying much attention to its ratings though, and HxH is at it's "good point" (YorkNew City). And I'm looking forward to Tokyo Ghoul, even though I haven't gone out of my way to see it. Now I have no excuse not to watch it, because it's in the same line-up of shows as other anime I'm watching.

I've never seen G Gundam and I really should. Seems to me like I would enjoy it as much as I did Gurren Lagann, another crazy, over-the-top mecha show that still managed to have some very mature underlying themes. Damn near a masterpiece, that one!

Anyway, I can sort of understand Gundam Unicorn's new position as the 7th show on the lineup. It makes sense if you consider the lineup of 9 shows in groups of 3:

Top-Tier Headliners: Samurai Jack; Dragon Ball Super; Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters -- The uber-popular "God-tier", probably more popular than any other headlining shows in the past, even Attack on Titan, which is rumored to join this tier after Samurai Jack ends with new dub premiere episodes! They're also friendly enough for kids who stay up and watch them with their parents, though if AOT returns I don't think we can argue that anymore.

Mid-block Midcarders: JoJo; Tokyo Ghoul; Hunter x Hunter -- The still popular but less popular level, and kids probably shouldn't be watching these, the true "meat" of Toonami. Mature scenes abound, as every episode of Tokyo Ghoul will probably get a TV-MA and occasionally JoJo and Hunter x Hunter cross the boundary from their blanket TV-14 into TV-MA as well (though the latter does also go TV-PG).

End-block "Buried Treasure": Gundam Unicorn; Naruto Shippuden; Ghost In The Shell -- Still popular though their popularity has aged quite a bit, and so have the shows themselves. Also tend to contain a lot of talking and complex politics that might be hard to get into for first timers. As far as content ratings, they all tend to be less mature than the mid-block, but still contain a ton of destruction and wanton loss of human life, especially in the case of Gundam and Ghost.

Aw damn, this makes it so tempting to skip Unicorn. I was only watching it because it was sandwiched between the 2 shows I actually cared about watching. I'm...not sure if I'll stick with it or not. The completionist in me wants to, but I only really care at all about a single character in it. Plus I have very little idea what's even been going on in recent weeks. Mostly because paying attention when I don't care about anyone's inherently difficult for me mixed with my lack of Gundam history/background knowledge. I guess I'll stick with it...for now anyway. Were it not coming on immediately after(or hypothetically before) a show I was watching I'da definitely said screw it though. :D