UnevenEdge

Do You Think Toonami Really Did Support One Piece the best they could?

Yeah I believe they tried but in the end it doesn't even matter  :|

I really wanted OP to succeed I know how good it can be at times, but it wasn't cutting it. It had a good run and who knows maybe if Toonami is still going in about 2 years maybe they'll bring it back and get is close to the newer episodes

Yeah I believe they tried but in the end it doesn't even matter  :|

I really wanted OP to succeed I know how good it can be at times, but it wasn't cutting it. It had a good run and who knows maybe if Toonami is still going in about 2 years maybe they'll bring it back and get is close to the newer episodes

i doubt toonami will ever bring it back...Demarco seemed pretty clear that they were done attempting anything with one piece

The problem with anime like Naruto and One Piece is that they needed to air when Toonami was on weekdays. Naruto got very good ratings in its circa three years on CN, such that Cartoon Network reran the first forty-five or so episodes of it in the M-F 5:30pm window. Shonen are hurt by once a week airings for many reasons. Perhaps this is a movement by Toonami to slowly get rid of the shonen and move toward more mature programming. 

The problem with anime like Naruto and One Piece is that they needed to air when Toonami was on weekdays. Naruto got very good ratings in its circa three years on CN, such that Cartoon Network reran the first forty-five or so episodes of it in the M-F 5:30pm window. Shonen are hurt by once a week airings for many reasons. Perhaps this is a movement by Toonami to slowly get rid of the shonen and move toward more mature programming.

I think Toonami had too many long-runners. One Piece was the weakest link, so goodbye?

Well, NOT quite. I figured there had to be a price in the 2017 budget for doubling down on Dragonball and getting Super, and Toonami paid the price.

If One Piece has another shot when DBZ Kai Final Chapters ends, it would be wise for it to use the recent Broadcast/Simuldubs of the most recent seasons instead. I guess it COULD happen...

But back to Tokyo Ghoul, I just hope it stays in its lane. Backing up GITS at 2:30 AM is a great timeslot for it. Though given how contemporary the animation in JoJo (2013), Gundam Unicorn (2012-ish atm, ending 2014), and Hunter x Hunter (2012) is, even 12:30 wouldn't be a stretch. I doubt it will debut at Midnight supplanting Kai FC, but I suppose even THAT'S possible! And of course Ghoul and JoJo would seem to work pretty well together.

I just hope if Gundam IBO S2 gets on Toonami, if Unicorn is airing at like 1:30 AM it gets boosted back to like 12:30 AM or at least 1 AM. S2 at least deserves that! But Hunter x Hunter IS still a freaking dub premiere so airing it at 2 AM would be an insult. As much as I would hate Gundam Unicorn to fall all the way to 2 AM I can live with that.

I also hope we're getting Attack on Titan S2 at some point, but I'm thinking that might be far-fetched unless the price of doubling down on DBZ wasn't One Piece. If the eventual tradeoff is AOT S2 following Jack, then I'm cool with that.

I think OP did fine. 

Tokyo Ghoul will probably do well. 

From what I've read/seen they seem to be handling the transition well.  Giving OP a nice sendoff/tribute.  They're clearly fans of the show.

OP is one of my favorite shows of all time.  And I still think this is probably a good move for the block for where it's at now.

Personally, I'd rather have seen Naruto go than OP, but it was just OP's time to go.

There will be people on the internet who overreact to it, and people who will try to spin it one way or another.

but honestly, Toonami seems in very capable hands to me.  They're doing a stellar job of programming the block.  OP is awesome, but all good things must come to an end (or cycle out for awhile if that ends up being the case).  Tokyo Ghoul is a great show.  I look forward to it.

I would LOVE to see OP come back.  But even if that never happens, I know Toonami will continue to be a very entertaining block for the forseeable future.

I also like some variety.  And as much as I love OP, with DBZx2, OP, Naruto and HXH all running back to back to back, it doesn't leave much room for variety.

usually when one show leaves and another enters the new one takes the formers slot

I say no way they bury a new series like that. If anything it's going to place above JoJo and bump everything down one. That's my guess.

so they are expanding the book or just dumping Jojo just like that?

They don't need to expand. One piece is gone remember? Insert Ghoul above Jojo and everything  below gets bumped down a notch.  Naruto takes One pieces old slot, GITS stays at the rear.

It didn't have an amazing time slot, but I think they did all that they could. Just about everyone who is into One piece has already watched op.  Sure this is a dub, but the majority of op fans just watched stubs and are 300eps ahead of the game.

I watched Tokyo Ghoul, I don't think it will do all that great, but I don't think it will be terrible. The pace is a slow burn and the payoff isn't great. Really I would like a prequel series because everything that happened before seems to be super interesting. Some that would show the early days with All the old powerful ghouls. When the pandemic first took place and the agency was started.

Overall TG is just a difficult show to hold interest one week at a time, and when stuff finally comes to a head it ends.

Why would they? Ghoul is only 12 eps, they'll need a new show to replace it in 3 months unless they run S2, which is supposedly even worse.

because if adult swim's gonna start knocking down doors to send a message that they won't tolerate dumpster rating animes anymore

then whose to say they won't threaten the toonami crew if they don't start finding some way to improve the ratings in spots like when Naruto Airs

It didn't have an amazing time slot, but I think they did all that they could. Just about everyone who is into One piece has already watched op.  Sure this is a dub, but the majority of op fans just watched stubs and are 300eps ahead of the game.

I watched Tokyo Ghoul, I don't think it will do all that great, but I don't think it will be terrible. The pace is a slow burn and the payoff isn't great. Really I would like a prequel series because everything that happened before seems to be super interesting. Some that would show the early days with All the old powerful ghouls. When the pandemic first took place and the agency was started.

Overall TG is just a difficult show to hold interest one week at a time, and when stuff finally comes to a head it ends.

I thought the first episode had a lot of promise. I was like hmmmm ok I like where you're going with this..... and then the show never goes anywhere. At least, it didn't before I dropped it. And I was 8 or 9 eps in, I gave it a fair shot.

lmfao what happened are they not airing it anymore?

was planning on watching tommorow regardless, but now im really gonna make sure i dont fall asleep.

good on the toonami crew for finally cutting down on their shonen, even though its a little too late at this point.

Toonami is airing 2 more episodes. Tokyo Ghoul begins 3/25/17.

Honestly I think OP was somewhat hamstrung right from the beginning with where Toonami chose to start the broadcast.  No matter one's feelings on it as a fan, the Davy Back Fight is a terrible place to jump into the series as a first-time viewer.  As goofy as OP's humor can be in general, Davy Back cranks it up to 11, and unlike most of the rest of the series there aren't any larger serious stakes in the background (unless you're 10 years old and treat "onoz Foxy will steal teh crew!!1" as a harbinger of doom).  It was nothing more than an arc of Oda engaging in some random zaniness, and then Toei doubles down by stretching it out twice as long.  Pretty much the only thing of lasting import to come out of it, besides providing Toei with a dumbass villain to shove in any filler they saw fit, was the crew meeting Aokiji, and with the way Toei arranged things it would have been fairly simple to just skip straight to that episode.  You get the plot nugget that matters, and then things move right into Water 7/Enies Lobby, what many fans consider to be one of the series' all-time peaks.  I think that would have had a better shot of grabbing more of those critical early viewers.

Obviously the elephant in the room is that a show of OP's gargantuan length really needed more than one new episode per week.  You'll never convince me that giving it at least a partial weekday slot at 1 or 2 in the morning couldn't have consistently outdrawn whatever tired comedy retreads [as] slaps down then, but no one can ever accuse the non-Toonami side of the network of showing any sort of programming initiative.  So failing that, what's the other option?  As crazy as it sounds, I can't help but wonder if starting from the very beginning wouldn't have been a viable choice.  Like, if you're going to be hundreds of episodes behind regardless, and if a bunch of your potential audience is current with the weekly Japanese broadcasts, why not roll with it and double-down on what you have?  Play up the fact that the first 150 episodes of the series have never aired uncensored in the US.  I mean the promos would have written themselves: "It's One Piece, the way it was always meant to be seen, uncut in all its glory.  Only Toonami."  Maybe I'm just crazy, but I feel like that alone would have garnered some pretty substantial initial interest.

They aired the show consistently for years, and as per DeMarco, went to bat to prevent its cancellation earlier numerous times.  Even gave it a marathon.  They tried everything and it didn't take.  So what else can you really say?

I thought the first episode had a lot of promise. I was like hmmmm ok I like where you're going with this..... and then the show never goes anywhere. At least, it didn't before I dropped it. And I was 8 or 9 eps in, I gave it a fair shot.

The first 12 episodes are all inner struggle over eating humans and interactions with some other ghouls. Season two some more battles and darker stuff goes on. Also the show gave off some really gay hot topic type vibes to me. Even the main girl ghoul looks more like a boy than some boys look.

Eh, sorry to see OP go, but honestly they should have just started it at Fishman Island. Starting with filler never seemed like a good idea, better to kind of kick it off with what is clearly a new starting point. They tried, they aired it and worked with it as best they could, it got some exposure but ultimately it didn't hold and grow enough of an audience. I suspect Naruto is also on the block. I don't really understand having back to back DB shows, I think they could do without Kai FC and have another slot to work with. They have a lot riding on Jack, if it doesn't catch on, and I suspect it won't, it could hurt. TG is not my first choice, or even in my top ten, there are much better shows out there to get. I watched it, it was disjointed to say the least. I don't think it will do that much better than anything else.

Eh, sorry to see OP go, but honestly they should have just started it at Fishman Island. Starting with filler never seemed like a good idea, better to kind of kick it off with what is clearly a new starting point. They tried, they aired it and worked with it as best they could, it got some exposure but ultimately it didn't hold and grow enough of an audience. I suspect Naruto is also on the block. I don't really understand having back to back DB shows, I think they could do without Kai FC and have another slot to work with. They have a lot riding on Jack, if it doesn't catch on, and I suspect it won't, it could hurt. TG is not my first choice, or even in my top ten, there are much better shows out there to get. I watched it, it was disjointed to say the least. I don't think it will do that much better than anything else.

DBZ is a ratings blockbuster so i guess they figured back to back DBZ would help toonami out in the long run

I'm glad to have seen thriller bark but I have my doubts toonami will be around in 2 years since It'll be hard to keep toonami fresh and keep people coming back if we come to a point where DBZ is the only major player on the rotation

The first 12 episodes are all inner struggle over eating humans and interactions with some other ghouls. Season two some more battles and darker stuff goes on. Also the show gave off some really gay hot topic type vibes to me. Even the main girl ghoul looks more like a boy than some boys look.

latest?cb=20140924014449

The Davy Back Fight was actually canon...well half of it anyway.  The manga had the first two games shown in the anime, then finished things with Luffy's boxing match with Foxy.  The anime added in an additional Davy Back Fight and three additional games.  Also, in the original manga the Straw Hats encountered Aokiji on Long Ring Long Land immediately after the Davy Back Fight ended, while the anime had a short filler arc and then another filler with Foxy reappearing before Aokiji showed up.

Also, starting with Fishman Island would have only worked if FUNI would have been able and willing to start immediately dubbing those episodes, as the home video releases were a long ways back from there when OP started airing.  This was before the concept of simuldubs took off, so it probably wasn't a valid option then.

DBZ is a ratings blockbuster so i guess they figured back to back DBZ would help toonami out in the long run

I'm glad to have seen thriller bark but I have my doubts toonami will be around in 2 years since It'll be hard to keep toonami fresh and keep people coming back if we come to a point where DBZ is the only major player on the rotation

I can't imagine DeMarco & co. letting it get to that point. There are going to be some major shows and second seasons coming up, I am confident that Toonami will be a player on them. It just remains to be seen in terms of money. [as] as a whole is kind of down right now, it isn't nearly the cult hit that it used to be. I think Toonami does best when it has a mix of shows around the 26-50 episode range cycling in and out. Keep the major hits like DBS up front, and then look for those broad appeal shows to fill out the balance. HxH has a chance to really work, Gundam series in general do alright for mid block shows, JJBA hasn't totally failed, though it is not really doing all that great either. Toonami is going to have some hit and miss, like anything, but I think that they have the right formula overall, perhaps they just need to cycle in and out a bit more.

I can't imagine DeMarco & co. letting it get to that point. There are going to be some major shows and second seasons coming up, I am confident that Toonami will be a player on them. It just remains to be seen in terms of money. [as] as a whole is kind of down right now, it isn't nearly the cult hit that it used to be. I think Toonami does best when it has a mix of shows around the 26-50 episode range cycling in and out. Keep the major hits like DBS up front, and then look for those broad appeal shows to fill out the balance. HxH has a chance to really work, Gundam series in general do alright for mid block shows, JJBA hasn't totally failed, though it is not really doing all that great either. Toonami is going to have some hit and miss, like anything, but I think that they have the right formula overall, perhaps they just need to cycle in and out a bit more.

i just think they need more then DBZ leading the pack  We've Had DBZ Leading The Pack For Decades in America  it's rather cliche and expected at this point to ride on DBZ's coattails

i think toonami's at it's best when it has a mix of Proven Classics and New Shows  you can't let one overtake the other  if there's too many new shows then the block will be riding all it's hopes and dreams on DBZ more so than ever before

if there are too many classics then there's a chance of things getting stale

you gotta balance it out and have the Top Tier New Shows and classics that people want to tune in for

They really need more dub premieres. So much of the block is widely available dubbed, TG even has the first season dubbed in Hulu. That means they also exists on pirate sites. The fact that DBZKFC is going to be all out dubbed by the end year is mind boggling. Toonami has to have exclusive things.

They really need more dub premieres. So much of the block is widely available dubbed, TG even has the first season dubbed in Hulu. That means they also exists on pirate sites. The fact that DBZKFC is going to be all out dubbed by the end year is mind boggling. Toonami has to have exclusive things.

but i guess they can't due to costs....and sadly at this point you gotta ask yourself "what does toonami offer you that you can't get anywhere elser?" moves like removing one piece might as well say "Hey You Like this show? then go stream it online"  and by that point they've already quit watching toonami and have subbed it out for viewing animes online

nobody's gonna want to watch toonami if they start cutting out your favorite shows and replace them with Edgy Stuff or stuff that was relevant a couple years ago

they played it for two whole arcs in god faith, but I certainly feel like they could have

1.) given it a better spot on th lineup, especially since it's better than Naruto Shippuden (hell, it's better than Dragon Ball Super). Just because Naruto is more densely populated ith battles doesn't mean it's a more intereting series or will do better with a Toonami audience

and

2.) could have played up One Piece's action a bit more in their commercials and promos. One Piece is a fun, constant party of a series with a ton of huor, but it's also pretty action-oriented. I feel like most of the promos focused on wacky happenstances, sight gags, and scenes of the crew partying down which (while great) made it look more like a gag comedy series than an action show to anyone unfamiliar with the title. it was an unnecessary tonal shift in every promo that I feel can't have helped grow One Piece's fanbase.

or am I being contradictory. I feel like there was a middle ground that was easy to hit, but they sidestepped it intentionally at every turn.

I think Toonami had too many long-runners. One Piece was the weakest link, so goodbye?

Well, NOT quite. I figured there had to be a price in the 2017 budget for doubling down on Dragonball and getting Super, and Toonami paid the price.

If One Piece has another shot when DBZ Kai Final Chapters ends, it would be wise for it to use the recent Broadcast/Simuldubs of the most recent seasons instead. I guess it COULD happen...

But back to Tokyo Ghoul, I just hope it stays in its lane. Backing up GITS at 2:30 AM is a great timeslot for it. Though given how contemporary the animation in JoJo (2013), Gundam Unicorn (2012-ish atm, ending 2014), and Hunter x Hunter (2012) is, even 12:30 wouldn't be a stretch. I doubt it will debut at Midnight supplanting Kai FC, but I suppose even THAT'S possible! And of course Ghoul and JoJo would seem to work pretty well together.

I just hope if Gundam IBO S2 gets on Toonami, if Unicorn is airing at like 1:30 AM it gets boosted back to like 12:30 AM or at least 1 AM. S2 at least deserves that! But Hunter x Hunter IS still a freaking dub premiere so airing it at 2 AM would be an insult. As much as I would hate Gundam Unicorn to fall all the way to 2 AM I can live with that.

I also hope we're getting Attack on Titan S2 at some point, but I'm thinking that might be far-fetched unless the price of doubling down on DBZ wasn't One Piece. If the eventual tradeoff is AOT S2 following Jack, then I'm cool with that.

Now is not the time for your crackpot theorems rationalizing bullshit that will never happen.

Not that it needed to be, but this is thoroughly debunked now that we know the Toonami crew got blindsided by this (check the pinned announcement thread).

And how the fuck do Ghoul and JoJo go together?

just seems like the adult swim higher ups are assholes if they are just gonna storm in on the toonami crew and yell at them about this(which i bet is what happened)

It seemed like they were allowing One Piece to air as long as it could but eventually the ratings just got too bad for them to continue to let it slide.  I'm sure any other network would have yanked One Piece much faster.

You guys really think they're gonna bury their new series in One Pieces time slot? Is this confirmed already? =P

Probably not, now that I think about it.  Though it wouldn't make sense to punish other shows for One Piece's failure, either, so I don't know.

I think OP did fine. 

Tokyo Ghoul will probably do well. 

From what I've read/seen they seem to be handling the transition well.  Giving OP a nice sendoff/tribute.  They're clearly fans of the show.

OP is one of my favorite shows of all time.  And I still think this is probably a good move for the block for where it's at now.

Personally, I'd rather have seen Naruto go than OP, but it was just OP's time to go.

There will be people on the internet who overreact to it, and people who will try to spin it one way or another.

but honestly, Toonami seems in very capable hands to me.  They're doing a stellar job of programming the block.  OP is awesome, but all good things must come to an end (or cycle out for awhile if that ends up being the case).  Tokyo Ghoul is a great show.  I look forward to it.

I would LOVE to see OP come back.  But even if that never happens, I know Toonami will continue to be a very entertaining block for the forseeable future.

I also like some variety.  And as much as I love OP, with DBZx2, OP, Naruto and HXH all running back to back to back, it doesn't leave much room for variety.

Demarco's spotty hit-or-miss musical tastes struck again and he selected a horribifuckus song for the send-off video.  Should have just used a song from the show.  So that was pretty lame.

I highly doubt Tokyo Ghoul is a "great show."

Easy solution there.  Get rid of Hiatus and Shittuden.

They don't need to expand. One piece is gone remember? Insert Ghoul above Jojo and everything  below gets bumped down a notch.  Naruto takes One pieces old slot, GITS stays at the rear.

It could maybe come in after Gundam.  Hiatus and Shittuden getting kicked back a slot would make me feel better. 8)

I watched Tokyo Ghoul, I don't think it will do all that great, but I don't think it will be terrible.  The pace is a slow burn and the payoff isn't great.  Really I would like a prequel series because everything that happened before seems to be super interesting. Some that would show the early days with All the old powerful ghouls. When the pandemic first took place and the agency was started.

Oh good, it's another Hiatus. ::) That show has edgelord shit in it too, actually.