UnevenEdge

Ancestral knowledge.

SwimModSponges

Nah my folks are like 50 and i have one living grandparent (that i'm aware of).

The thought that spawned this was back when we got our first doggo the route to the humane society went past the road my grandparents lived on.

Didn't go down the road to see if the place was still even there.

Sometimes I wonder.

• Like 1

My living great grandmothers died when I was 2 and 13. The house of the one who died when I was 2 is around the corner from my grandparents' house so I'd see it all the time. The house of the one who died when I was 13 I'm not sure I could find.

My maternal grandparents died Feb '18 and March '19, the last time I was at their house was a few months ago when I picked up the smart tv (my mom/aunts gave it to me because I taught my grandfather how to turn it on). The house is still there, they haven't finished emptying it out for emotional reasons, no one was really ready but at this point it's kind of dragging. I wish I hadn't bought this fixer upper shortly prior otherwise I would've taken it, for sentimental reasons.

My paternal grandfather died in the early 2000s, but my paternal grandmother died a couple months ago. Was last at the house maybe last month, to pick up a couple things. By comparison, they've already emptied the house and put it on the market because they just want to close out the estate.

no more grandparents, and no great-grandparents for almost 40 years now. my parents live in what was once my dad's grandfather's house. and my parents own my dad's 4-generation family farm, where his parents lived for 50 years and his grandparents before that. my mom's sisters bought their mother's house when she died last year. i haven't been back up there in almost a year now (thanks covid) so that's how long it's been since i've been to any of those places.

All grandparents are dead now, but I do know a good bit about my ancestors. I know my great great grandfather was on city council of Pittsburgh and originated the lockjaw vaccine. Seem to have a lot of notable ancestors, which makes me wonder wtf happened there. 

Spoiler

Edited by HardcoreHunter

On 10/19/2020 at 12:21 AM, SwimModSponges said:

Y'all know how to get to grandma's house?

How long has it been since you were there? 

How about your great grandma's? 

My grandparents old house is the closest to a family house I ever had. Growing up for a long time we kept moving every 1-2 years, that house of theirs was always around though. Then my gramps died back in 2010 and only a couple of months later my grandma sold the house and moved.

I miss that house so much, I know for almost 100% certainty that I'll never be able to go inside of it again. That part of town being a similar situation as places like Detroit where up until somewhere between 1960 and 1980 it was a good place to live, but then the whole area went black and now it's insanely dangerous to live there, especially if you're white. On my grandparents block alone they'd have drug dealers and whores making the rounds at night. There was at least one time I remember some guy across the street from the house getting shot. Hell, people used to do drug deals parked right out in front of the house. There was this one guy that apparently was some form of distant cousin of me and my sis' that had a meth lab on the corner of that black. Fortunately no one ever did anything to my grandparents or their house.

• 5 weeks later...