UnevenEdge

Fire Force S2 Debuts October 24th on Toonami

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

Unless Funimation Allows toonami to grab something from the back-catalog

what could they possibly put alongside Fire Force S2?

the current pandemic has made it damn near impossible for them to get much of anything

so if it's something new then i just expect the return of food wars....if not that then i have no idea

usually toonami likes to air red hot titles as soon as they can but what would that even be right now?

what would be the title best suited to toonami that's super popular/relevant and already finished

If it isn’t dubbed sooner. SAO could be back on Oct 24th.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jman said:

That was almost a decade ago.

Saying the market has changed is putting it mildly to say the least.

This 

Sentai and Funimation have pretty much moved on from Bluray/DVD sales to Streaming. I feel like a lot of the decline in physical media has to do with the lack of offerings. I remember some series and features having special features that were more than a textless op/ed. Things like bloopers and commentary are just gone. 

7 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

This 

Sentai and Funimation have pretty much moved on from Bluray/DVD sales to Streaming. I feel like a lot of the decline in physical media has to do with the lack of offerings. I remember some series and features having special features that were more than a textless op/ed. Things like bloopers and commentary are just gone. 

...FUNi puts commentary tracks on almost every single series they release.  And niche markets like anime are pretty much the only place where physical media sales remain strong.

• Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

...FUNi puts commentary tracks on almost every single series they release.  And niche markets like anime are pretty much the only place where physical media sales remain strong.

Past few BD I've gotten didn't have anything other than the textless op/ed. Though I think the most recent ones I've gotten were from sentai which could explain it. 

Horror film box sets do well at least. Usually because the pack the shit out of them with extras. Pretty much the only way to get people to buy something they've probably already owned a few times already. 

On 7/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, CountFrylock said:
Reruns Of Fire Force S1 will replace mob psycho starting with episode 15

I saw that Fire Force was coming October 24th, which is great!  But I didn't know season 1 reruns were replacing Mob!  Fucking hell!  Why the hell didn't you get season 2 of Mob!  DAMN IT, Demarco!

On 7/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, Top Gun said:

This will be fun and all, but seriously, where the ever-loving fuck is Mob season 2.

!

On 7/29/2020 at 3:08 PM, brianycpht said:

I asked Demarco on Twitter yesterday and he said there’s still complicated legal issues with it that refuse to get worked out.

Since he’s openly talking about it, I wouldn’t count on it anytime soon

On 7/28/2020 at 9:59 AM, PokeNirvash said:

/co/ thinks the same way. Whenever they claim Black Clover's the only premiere on the block, I just think to myself, "But what about Shippuden?"

It may as well be a rerun.

Shippuden went off on and on the air and switched networks, fell far behind, eventually finally finished.  The episodes on Toonami now may as well be reruns, since they are so old, for a long-finished series, and already widely-available and widely-watched elsewhere.

On 7/29/2020 at 12:26 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

This fuck's been a clown for 8 years.

You'd think time would've weathered on his outlook, but nah.

CountFryFuck who likes to dip his dick in lard and shove it between the fat folds of 600 Pound Lifers.

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2020 at 1:18 PM, elfie said:

Gee. It's too bad we do not have a sea of old, dubbed anime that Toonami has never aired before! Oh woe is me!

That would make too much sense.  Instead, let's just focus on scrambling to get incomplete or nonexistent shows, or just replay the same old crap we already aired repeatedly.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

That would make too much sense.  Instead, let's just focus on scrambling to get incomplete or nonexistent shows, or just replay the same old crap we already aired repeatedly.

If they already spent most of the years budget on just SAO and Fire Force, then they really have no choice but to air reruns until they can start airing the dubs they already made deals for.

They ain’t got no money.

And it really sucks because if they had budget to spare they could have filled the block with shows that were bound to be passed over for the upcoming seasons of Attack on Titan, Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland (all delayed till 2021 but originally set for 2020) and the currently airing seasons of SAO and Fire Force. It would have been a great year to air KonoSuba, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Gridman, ReZero or much older anime like Tiger & Bunny, Psycho-Pass, Jormungand, Log Horizon. Some of which have sequels coming. But nope, they ain’t got no money. So it’s reruns and one show returning from the glory days of ASA.

Edited by Sketch

15 minutes ago, Sketch said:

If they already spent most of the years budget on just SAO and Fire Force, then they really have no choice but to air reruns until they can start airing the dubs they already made deals for.

They ain’t got no money.

And it really sucks because if they had budget to spare they could have filled the block with shows that were bound to be passed over for the upcoming seasons of Attack on Titan, Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland (all delayed till 2021 but originally set for 2020) and the currently airing seasons of SAO and Fire Force. It would have been a great year to air KonoSuba, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Gridman, ReZero or much older anime like Tiger & Bunny, Psycho-Pass, Jormungand, Log Horizon. Some of which have sequels coming. But nope, they ain’t got no money. So it’s reruns and one show returning from the glory days of ASA.

Pretty much this.  They are bound by their budget, so they can’t magically get stuff from FUNi.

With the pandemic being far from done in the US. I’m pretty confident Toonami will remain very lean in 2021. Neverland, Titan and Dr Stone and more MHA are pretty much assured along with Uzumaki (probably in March or Summer), Fena (Summer or Fall) and BRBL (Fall if not 2022). DBS is likely to keep the top spot until Summer. I strongly suspect Yasha-Hime will start airing early in 2021 and Bleach might start airing by Fall of 2021. Maybe they’ll get the 2021 Shaman King anime as well but I don’t see them acquiring much else. I’m optimistic that Mob season 2 will air in 2021 and Food Wars could also return. 2021 is gonna be sequel city.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I wish they didn't manage this block as The Jason DeMarco Block all the time.

• Thanks 1

That doesn't sound very lean to me. Plenty to look forward to, which is in contrast to 2020, which started out somewhat strong but has wound up leaner than 2015. It might be a rough beginning of 2021 but hopefully by fall it will be off to the races!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

That doesn't sound very lean to me. Plenty to look forward to, which is in contrast to 2020, which started out somewhat strong but has wound up leaner than 2015. It might be a rough beginning of 2021 but hopefully by fall it will be off to the races!

Bare in mind, no JoJo and maybe no Food Wars or Mob. It will definitely be better than most of this year but basically the only non-sequels look to be the co-pros and I don’t think all 3 will air in 2021 at this rate. BRBL definitely seems far off when they are only showing two screen shots so far. I think Fena will air because it looks to have some finished animation if that wasn’t just test footage like Uzumaki’s trailer was.

Bleach and Shaman King are hardly guaranteed to be dubbed any time next year.

I also don’t expect more than 4 premieres at a time. Maybe 5 when originals are airing but unless they get a nice budget increase they might not even be able to afford all the upcoming sequels.

Edited by Sketch

Fire Force Season 2 will be continuing, and in fact with only 6-7 of its episodes airing in 2020, the bulk of its content will be in 2021. Perhaps that gets replaced by the returning Dr. Stone, which is coming either in Winter or Spring 2021. We've also got The Promised Neverland Season 2, Attack on Titan: The Final Season, and yes, more Food Wars is also a potential. As is Mob Season 2--you've gotta think that's gonna show up SOMEtime. And also, won't there be MHA Season 5 as well?

So based on just what we know, 2021 may not be as fat as 2018 or 2019, but it at least looks to be thicker than 2020. That IS, of course, if both our country and Japan can manage to shake the coronavirus. At least Mob Season 2 and Food Wars Season 3 would be unaffected by that!

Getting back on the subject of Fire Force, FUNimation has produced this nifty little video that runs down the first 14 episodes, conveniently catching us up to Episode 15's rerun at 1 AM this Saturday night!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 3

I guess a reasonable expectation would be...

SAO WoU Part 2 and Fire Force season 2 both start on October 24th.

SAO is replaced by Mob season 2 or something else early in 2021 while Fire Force continues another 13 weeks.

Then both Fire Force and SAO's replacement could be replaced by season 2 of Neverland and Dr. Stone respectively.

At some point Clover probably has to take a break for 6-12 weeks before it can continue airing without another break. It probably won't be replaced by anything new so Toonami would be down to 3 premieres temporarily.

If Yasha-Hime does indeed start airing in Japan this Fall, it could probably start airing on Toonami in Spring of 2021 maybe sooner if Ocean Group can dub it quickly over in Canada (I certainly hope they don't switch recording studios). That show might actually end up being a long runner.

By the end of the year they might actually be up to 5-6 premieres again if they get Bleach's final season and either Blade Runner or Fena are ready to air.

And I'm just gonna plant this thought now. September 2021 will be the 20th anniversary for Adult Swim and also the 20th anniversary of the broadcast of Cowboy Bebop. I've gotta figure they wouldn't pass up that opportunity to run Bebop again but just around 2:30 or 3am. Even if they do that they can still fill 5-6 slots with premieres by September.

But with COVID-19 around a 3 month turnaround for Neverland and Dr. Stone may not be in the cards. The start of 2021 will probably be better than now but far from great. But they should be able to build from there. Unfortunately they're all but certain to keep DBS leading off Toonami until it reaches episode 131 again. At the rate of once a week with some weeks off, that's gonna last into next Summer. However, if they have a large enough budget they could potentially expand Toonami so DBS is back to 11:30pm and free up 12AM for fresh content.

I definitely hope we don't have to wait until October for new episodes of anything other than JoJo, BC and Shippuden but that is likely all we're gonna get unless Toonami  was actually planning to start a new show whenever Black Clover needs to take a break or when Ballmastrz finishes. Fire Force will be at 1am for now but since it's a rerun they can always move it to 1:30 and either demote JoJo or place a fresh show at 1am. But I kinda figure if they had something else coming it would have replaced Mob or Paranoia Agent in August. That's still not out of the realm of possibilities but I think we'd be deluding ourselves if we actually expect Ballmastrz or Black Clover to be replaced by a network premiere.

But yeah, 2021 should be much better than 2020 and maybe even better than 2018 if they have the money for the sequel seasons and still have some left over for other acquisitions.

• Like 2

1.  I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, all things being equal, I think DeMarco wants to hold off on Bebop until the week that the live action Bebop hits Netflix.  I remember, way back when, when Disney got the license to Doug of all things, that Nickelodeon upped their airings of the old episodes, while saying that they had all the important episodes.  I mean, it was fucking Doug, no one gave a shit, but still.  DeMarco loves Bebop, and he likes piggybacking on other ideas, so it makes perfect sense to see Bebop when that show comes out, while throwing shade at the fact that the world didn’t need a live action Cowboy Bebop.

2.  The next two months will continue to remain lean.  Be glad the JoJo episodes are ready, because we may have not even had that much.   No one airs Ballmasterz by choice.

3.  Adult Swim, understandably, has been loathe to celebrate their anniversary, because of its proximity to a certain OTHER event in American history.  I get it completely.

4.  2021 at least will be the release of several delayed shows.  The bottleneck has to empty somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elfie said:

...how do you know only 6-7 of its second season will air in 2020?

The most it could possibly be is 10:

October 24th and 31st

November 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th

December 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th

And since I'd say Halloween, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and the day after Christmas will definitely be holiday marathons, that leaves 7 at the most.

4 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The most it could possibly be is 10:

October 24th and 31st

November 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th

December 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th

And since I'd say Halloween, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and the day after Christmas will definitely be holiday marathons, that leaves 7 at the most.

Oh.

For some reason my mind was fixed on the Funimation releases, not Toonami.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Will you just shut up already? Nobody cares that you have so little faith in FUNimation that they won't even dub on an "every two weeks" schedule.

it's more about setting expectations low so that it becomes a pleasant surprise when they go above that

i don't have much faith in anyone working any quicker than they have lately

If I'm Wrong then I'll be so happy i could shout with joy(More Happy than i was upon learning of Jojo's return to the block)

until then i have to keep expectations low.....

On 8/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, Sketch said:

They ain’t got no money.

Did they really already spend so much of their money on shows they thought would be ready to go as usual?  Even Fire Force and SAO shouldn't have drained their bank accounts so much since shows of that caliber didn't ever air by themselves in the past.  Usually there would be umpteen more premieres on top of them.  I thought Funimation cut them deals too.  Not sure about Aniplex.

Yes now is the perfect time to air all those shows!  Yeah but they wouldn't they have to pay to get Paranoia Agent?  And Demarco claims that old shows and reruns are no cheaper than new shows.  He could have got us something we never saw before on the network instead.

It makes me wonder what they would have replaced MHA with the pandemic didn't happen.

Edited by ben0119

On 8/2/2020 at 12:47 PM, Sketch said:

With the pandemic being far from done in the US. I’m pretty confident Toonami will remain very lean in 2021. Neverland, Titan and Dr Stone and more MHA are pretty much assured along with Uzumaki (probably in March or Summer), Fena (Summer or Fall) and BRBL (Fall if not 2022). DBS is likely to keep the top spot until Summer. I strongly suspect Yasha-Hime will start airing early in 2021 and Bleach might start airing by Fall of 2021. Maybe they’ll get the 2021 Shaman King anime as well but I don’t see them acquiring much else. I’m optimistic that Mob season 2 will air in 2021 and Food Wars could also return. 2021 is gonna be sequel city.

You really think it's so guaranteed Toonami will air Bleach and Yasha-Hime?  (Is Yasha-Hime what it is actually called?)  I don't have such high confidence in Demarco anymore.  He has disappointed me more and more over the years, and his handling of the pandemic has been abysmal.  It shows Demarco can't react to crisis or adapt or think on his feet at all.  Hell, they don't even know when the rights to their own shows expire!

Why would they get Shaman King?  Isn't that like a super kiddy Pokémon tier anime?

On 8/2/2020 at 5:32 PM, Sketch said:

Bare in mind, no JoJo and maybe no Food Wars or Mob. It will definitely be better than most of this year but basically the only non-sequels look to be the co-pros and I don’t think all 3 will air in 2021 at this rate. BRBL definitely seems far off when they are only showing two screen shots so far. I think Fena will air because it looks to have some finished animation if that wasn’t just test footage like Uzumaki’s trailer was.

Bleach and Shaman King are hardly guaranteed to be dubbed any time next year.

I also don’t expect more than 4 premieres at a time. Maybe 5 when originals are airing but unless they get a nice budget increase they might not even be able to afford all the upcoming sequels.

Thinking of Bleach, how has Viz been doing with dubbing during the pandemic?  Not sure what shows they have going lately.

And yeah, they better keep the Ocean cast for Yasha-Hime!  

Edited by ben0119

On 8/3/2020 at 6:17 PM, CountFrylock said:

it's more about setting expectations low so that it becomes a pleasant surprise when they go above that

i don't have much faith in anyone working any quicker than they have lately

If I'm Wrong then I'll be so happy i could shout with joy(More Happy than i was upon learning of Jojo's return to the block)

until then i have to keep expectations low.....

No, it's just obnoxious and annoying.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:02 AM, Jman said:

1.  I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, all things being equal, I think DeMarco wants to hold off on Bebop until the week that the live action Bebop hits Netflix.  I remember, way back when, when Disney got the license to Doug of all things, that Nickelodeon upped their airings of the old episodes, while saying that they had all the important episodes.  I mean, it was fucking Doug, no one gave a shit, but still.  DeMarco loves Bebop, and he likes piggybacking on other ideas, so it makes perfect sense to see Bebop when that show comes out, while throwing shade at the fact that the world didn’t need a live action Cowboy Bebop.

2.  The next two months will continue to remain lean.  Be glad the JoJo episodes are ready, because we may have not even had that much.   No one airs Ballmasterz by choice.

3.  Adult Swim, understandably, has been loathe to celebrate their anniversary, because of its proximity to a certain OTHER event in American history.  I get it completely.

4.  2021 at least will be the release of several delayed shows.  The bottleneck has to empty somewhere.

Oh Demarco is going to revel in that airing of Bebop, then.

The world didn't need sequels to Fooly Cooly, eifher!  HIYOOOOOOOOO!

Oh wow didn't know a Dailymotion video would embed LOL.  What happened to all the hiyo clips on YouTube?!

Wow I didn't realize it was that close.  I must have been thinking of Space Coast to Coast as more when Adult Swim started, a spiritual predecessor, if you will.  But, wow, I didn't realize that SGC2C started all the way back in 1994!

I have this crazy idea that Toonami is somehow going to use the Bat-break to acquire a new show for Midnight.

Pretty much the only way it could be a dub premiere is if it were SAO:A-WOU2, but leading the block with that doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Probably better than reruns of Dragon Ball Super though!

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

You really think it's so guaranteed Toonami will air Bleach and Yasha-Hime?  (Is Yasha-Hime what it is actually called?)  I don't have such high confidence in Demarco anymore.  He has disappointed me more and more over the years, and his handling of the pandemic has been abysmal.  It shows Demarco can't react to crisis or adapt or think on his feet at all.  Hell, they don't even know when the rights to their own shows expire!

...the literal fuck did you want him to have done that he didn't do?

• Like 1

World: *literally everything shuts down, massive logistical issues present simuldubs from being completed in a timely manner, ad revenue plummets, literally no one in the office to handle new acquisitions that you can't get anyway because see plummeting ad revenue*

Weebs: ZOMG DEMARCO U SUK Y U NO GIVE US TEH SHOWZ??!!1

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's always possible that they already budgeted and paid for series that have been delayed to next year, like the new seasons of Dr Sone and Promised Neverland. Keep in mind that Funi, Sentai, etc are doing the Pandemic Shuffle, and if they've already been paid for a show, they might not be so willing to hand over a refund for it without going through significant contract negotiations.

It's straight up baffling to me how people with zero experience in anything entertainment related constantly shit on a guy who's been in the industry for decades and truly believe they know better than him. It's like watching six episodes of Food Wars and thinking you're a better cook than the ones on Iron Chef.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

It's straight up baffling to me how people with zero experience in anything entertainment related constantly shit on a guy who's been in the industry for decades and truly believe they know better than him.

It all comes down to what they personally want vs. what he gives them. Sometimes it's the simple stupidity of Demarco not knowing of or even outright disliking a show they personally want to see on Toonami, or one they think would be a good fit, if not one they think would bring in viewers. Other times it's his attitude when he approaches the harsher critics of the block. Surely some of you remember all the times he called people on ask.fm "armchair quarterbacks" and "diaper babies". Not to mention the aforementioned "cutting 3 hours off the block in 2015" and "moving MHA premieres to 3:30 AM" scenarios, where he said people weren't watching them where they were. And then there are the horny bastards who dislike his distaste for meaningless fanservice, which is why they're always quick to blame him whenever Turner S&P censors anything sexual, up to and including rumored extra fanservice scenes in the FLCL sequels he personally requested be removed.

Personally, I don't have any serious problem with Demarco. He's doing his best, he's doing his best well, and whenever I actually see the guy talk out of his own mouth, he seems reasonable enough that I don't feel threatened by what the hater crowd sees in him. But for as much as I abhor the whole "TOONAMI IS DYING MY DUDES" movement, it's kinda fun - for a socially maladjusted pseudo-freak like myself, at least - to rag on him indirectly, hyping him up to be a delusional hypocrite secretly seeking the death of Toonami through picking up increasingly predictable Shounen Jump adaptations and other actions with good reason behind the apparent nonsense. I like to think it was this exact meme that pushed so many people towards the cult of Demarco dislike.

835692679_CLASSICDEMARCO.jpg.4262aba5c5f58a47f3c3ac1914107ecc.jpg

So yeah. There's plenty of reason those who dislike Demarco dislike him so, and why they act more "in touch" with what the audiences of today want compared to him, the guy who's been in the industry for 25+ years. I may give him shit time and again, but it's almost entirely done ironically. I respect what he's trying to do, and I say he keep on doing it, no matter how many roadblocks 2020 throws in his way.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1