UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia BY GAWD NEW EPISODE #87 (424) DISCUSSION!!!!!

5 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

metahuman liberation?

in a society where metahumans are dominant?

I thought he said mutant human liberation. Would have made more sense anyway since mutants are treated differently than emitter or augmentation heroes. They bring up the trouble that some mutant heroes go through. Tsuyu had a whole side story with that one snake girl coping with having become a mutant and being feared ever since not being able to make friends.  

1565215199214.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

a talking nomu...not good

I think they had All Might just clear the nomu too much when they'd show up in the past. It really made them seem like more of a non-threat when we pretty much only ever get to see them either fighting a bunch of kids in their 2nd semester of their first year, or the god king of heroes that can change weather with the force of a punch. Hope them fighting other people will be a bit more interesting 

1583452090535.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mochi said:

I don't mean to sound rude but they're probably doing it because they're trying to cover up the fact that they had only white VA's for their entire history until just last year

and them only hiring white voice actors doesn't really meld with the "woke" persona they've adopted

It's a funny catch 22 though because when you do cast a black person to voice a black character you're typecasting. That's why Roots was racist as fuck. You're telling me that there wasn't one asian or white guy who could have played the part of kunta kinte better than the guy from fucking reading rainbow. He would have been much better cast as a plantation owner, I know that motherfucker can read! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

That sucks.

Horikoshi dropped the ball on her so hard. She should have been one of the focal points of the last arc since that was her debut arc.

And how the hell do you waste a f-ing DRAGON!

Not only that but they made Eri afraid of her. You can just tell by looking at her that she's brimming with maternal instinct to nurture children, and it probably crushes her that kids are afraid of her. 

8a9.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mochi said:

I don't mean to sound rude but they're probably doing it because they're trying to cover up the fact that they had only white VA's for their entire history until just last year

and them only hiring white voice actors doesn't really meld with the "woke" persona they've adopted

I highly doubt Funimation only had white voice actors until last year.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, mochi said:

this series in the beginning: quirkless people can't be heroes under any circumstance

this series now: unless they're Mirio....and that one girl from the Pussycats who's quirkless now

Black Clover

"Only people with powers can become the Wizard King!"

".... with many,many, many, many exceptions."

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

I highly doubt Funimation only had white voice actors until last year.

I mean it's open auditions. Funimation technically doesn't have any permanent voice staff. The moment a show ends everyone is let go and jobless unless they have another job already or are auditioning for the a new one. If black VA's aren't auditioning for anime roles it's hard to give it to them. There is a lot of type casting though with black voice actors. The only one that I can think of that wasn't playing a Monster, Robot, or Black Character was Uncle Phil playing the Shredder in the 80s, and it was pretty much just him doing his normal voice with a bit of rasp thrown in. So I think there could be an issue with vocal range. Though there are white VA's who made a career on 2 voices (cough Greg Ayers). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mochi said:

this series in the beginning: quirkless people can't be heroes under any circumstance

this series now: unless they're Mirio....and that one girl from the Pussycats who's quirkless now

Miro is at least built like a brick shit house which I think will account for something. Though yeah a lot of quirks are really fucking useless in their application of being a hero. It's even what Sting the hero killer was trying to "fix". Not to mention that there are things like hero items. You can kinda tell that with how Hatsumie interacts with Deku and that Deku was originally going to be a batman/ironman type character without a quirk, and that Uraraka was planned to be a boy at first. That the mangaka had a lot going on in his head that the editors were making him change and it conflicted the later story somewhat. 

Just now, HardcoreHunter said:

Miro is at least built like a brick shit house which I think will account for something. Though yeah a lot of quirks are really fucking useless in their application of being a hero. It's even what Sting the hero killer was trying to "fix". Not to mention that there are things like hero items. You can kinda tell that with how Hatsumie interacts with Deku and that Deku was originally going to be a batman/ironman type character without a quirk, and that Uraraka was planned to be a boy at first. That the mangaka had a lot going on in his head that the editors were making him change and it conflicted the later story somewhat. 

Uraraka being a boy would've been surprising since Deku's in love with her

Just now, mochi said:

He would have been spending a lot more time with Hatsume though. Tsuyu was also planned to be a boy, but he used that design for her brother. The invisible girl was also going to be a guy. I think the only girls were Momo, Jiro,  and Mina. Though some of the class B girls were originally going to be in class A.  The guy that Bakes and gets super strong when he eats sweets I think was originally going to be a small girl which I think would have been more funny. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, HardcoreHunter said:

He would have been spending a lot more time with Hatsume though. Tsuyu was also planned to be a boy, but he used that design for her brother. The invisible girl was also going to be a guy. I think the only girls were Momo, Jiro,  and Mina. Though some of the class B girls were originally going to be in class A.  The guy that Bakes and gets super strong when he eats sweets I think was originally going to be a small girl which I think would have been more funny. 

I mean then he would've just been Charmy

6 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

1585426978166.jpg

She’s a reference to Mirko Cro Cop?  That’s...not the origin I expected.

Yeah, the episode could have been called “the perils of fame.”  Endeavor is simply not up to being a symbol the way All Might was, his Human Torch powers and cold demeanor make him the guy in the shadows more than the one who leads in the light.  Discount Angel seems to realize that as well.

Also a book by...Destro?  Did he write an autobiography after leaving Cobra?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mochi said:

IIRC the gravity power was going to go to a boy.  Uraraka would have actually had Mt. Lady’s power, but the author couldn’t write it too much without making her a more conventional size shifter, so the powers got shuffled around.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mochi said:

I am just finding this out now, and it actually puts some things into perspective. There was clearly no intention to put a romantic plot into the manga because nothing in any of the stories concerns them. We only get ONE brief scene of Uraraka floating in the air as she's distracted by Deku exercising outside the dorm building, and it's never mentioned again. Of course I would've LOVED if it meant there'd be a gay relationship.

Also, Deku is not in love with her. He's flustered when he first meets her but he's a shy teenage boy. EVERY shy teenage boy acts like that around girls.

There were only going to be 3 female students in Class 1A?? How the hell kind of move is that?? I am starting to think he's a ton more misogynistic than I realized.

Edited by elfie
  • D'oh 2

3 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

The number of cakes in this series (women single over the age of 25) is getting kinda hard to believe at this point

Pretty sure it's for a number of reasons. The series is aimed more so toward males, there definitely being a large percentage that idolize / glorify the female characters. It's somewhat similar to how women of fame in Japan (such as idols, fem VA's, and so on) aren't allowed lovers otherwise the otaku plague will shun them and their career will take a nose dive. Same thing would apply with this series, I can bet that for just about every female character in the series you'll find people out there that idolize her to the point where if they see some other man hook up with them they'll get pissed off and stop supporting the series.

It also doesn't help that the series is a shonen action series, and one thing I failed to see is a shonen series that features real, believable romance between characters. Some people think that even just a touch of romance here and there will derail a series, turning it into a love story (which I blame on series that have implemented romance in the past but to the extent where it's in your face, kind of like what happens with every American animated show that features romance, which is kind of why a lot of them will have the two main characters that are obviously gonna end up together make not hook up until like the last 5 minutes of their series.

1 minute ago, elfie said:

I am just finding this out now, and it actually puts some things into perspective. There was clearly no intention to put a romantic plot into the manga because nothing in any of the stories concerns them. We only get ONE brief scene of Uraraka floating in the air as she's distracted by Deku exercising outside the dorm building, and it's never mentioned again. Of course I would've LOVED if it meant there'd be a gay relationship.

...You didn’t read anything besides that did you?

As a character Ochako was always supposed to be there.  She was always the main girl.  The main difference was that she was supposed to be a size shifter.  The author thought that was too hard to write the way he envisioned it so he made Mt. Lady the size shifter and gave her the gravity powers.

• Like 1

Just now, Jman said:

...You didn’t read anything besides that did you?

As a character Ochako was always supposed to be there.  She was always the main girl.  The main difference was that she was supposed to be a size shifter.  The author thought that was too hard to write the way he envisioned it so he made Mt. Lady the size shifter and gave her the gravity powers.

You should know by now Elfie only reads between the lines to draw whatever interpretation he wants to have.

• Like 2

I am fuckin sick and tired of people just telling me that I just read anything else besides the post I reply to. the only time it doesn't happen is during the time the block is airing. If you have a problem with that, just TELL ME what I am getting wrong instead of fuckin treating me like garbage.

If Ochako was always the main girl, where the hell is HardcoreHunter coming from with "she was originally going to be male"?

GET IT RIGHT.

Edited by elfie

Just now, Jman said:

Mochi left details out.  It happens.

So what happens if YOU someday misunderstand something someone else here posts and I happen to catch it? Should I say to you that "you're just Jman, and you didn't read what he said correctly!"?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I mean it's open auditions. Funimation technically doesn't have any permanent voice staff. The moment a show ends everyone is let go and jobless unless they have another job already or are auditioning for the a new one. If black VA's aren't auditioning for anime roles it's hard to give it to them. There is a lot of type casting though with black voice actors. The only one that I can think of that wasn't playing a Monster, Robot, or Black Character was Uncle Phil playing the Shredder in the 80s, and it was pretty much just him doing his normal voice with a bit of rasp thrown in. So I think there could be an issue with vocal range. Though there are white VA's who made a career on 2 voices (cough Greg Ayers). 

It pretty much comes down to type casting.

Considering 90% or more of anime characters despite being Asian are depicted as having white skin, and when it comes to black folks voices, I find black women to have a better vocal range and can fill the roles of these characters better, but black guys typically have more distinct, deeper voices so it'd really depend on the role.

9 minutes ago, elfie said:

So what happens if YOU someday misunderstand something someone else here posts and I happen to catch it? Should I say to you that "you're just Jman, and you didn't read what he said correctly!"?

Don’t people do that to me already when I get hot under the collar?

In any event, it’s fine.  Just relax.

Edited by Jman