UnevenEdge

A coworker keeps making comments about me being sick

renjifan

I’m trying to just let it go, because I don’t like confrontation, but it is really starting to bother me...

I don’t even know if she’s aware of how rude she’s being, or if she just doesn’t care, but it’s starting to get offensive.

Would it be too petty to make a formal complaint if she continues?

Edited by renjifan
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

That's not petty, that's snitchy...Petty would be finding opportunities where she's alone and coughing loudly in her proximity.

Lol! Well I’m not trying to be a snitch, which is why I haven’t said anything so far. I’m just tired of dealing with her, though

4 minutes ago, Vamped said:

She's probably good and aware of what she's doing and is just a bitch. 

Probably. This woman has been on my case since I started, and I’ve been here just shy of 4 years 

We just had a law clerk leave, and she told HR that this lady is a “toxic, manipulative bully”, so it’s not just me that she does this stuff to

I don’t know, maybe I’m overreacting about the whole thing. But I think I’m just a little more sensitive about this because of how sick I was, and I find it incredibly dick-ish of her to make jokes and snobby comments about it when I was nearly hospitalized.
I mean, they’re not even funny jokes. I don’t even think they’re jokes at all. It’s literally just her being a bitch, and then when I just stare at her, she laughs and claims she was kidding. Maybe I’d give her a pass if she were at least clever 😅

Tell her, one time, that you don't find her "jokes" to be funny. Tell her that you are not contagious, and have antibodies which prevent you from getting sick again. If she continues, tell HR, you wouldn't be snitching at that point since you gave her a chance. At all times be nice, don't stoop to her level. If you have to report her, be nice in how you do that as well, explain to HR that you asked her politely to not make those kinds of jokes given the gravity of your illness, and that all you want is the offensive jokes to stop.

Understand however that this person will probably take it out on you from now on, so be prepared for that to happen.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, renjifan said:

I don’t know, maybe I’m overreacting about the whole thing. But I think I’m just a little more sensitive about this because of how sick I was, and I find it incredibly dick-ish of her to make jokes and snobby comments about it when I was nearly hospitalized.
I mean, they’re not even funny jokes. I don’t even think they’re jokes at all. It’s literally just her being a bitch, and then when I just stare at her, she laughs and claims she was kidding. Maybe I’d give her a pass if she were at least clever 😅

That sounds like the petty old ladies that work with me. I swear they have nothing else to do with their lives but make others miserable. I just kind of learn to ignore them. Sometimes Im better at it than other times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ginguy said:

Tell her, one time, that you don't find her "jokes" to be funny. Tell her that you are not contagious, and have antibodies which prevent you from getting sick again. If she continues, tell HR, you wouldn't be snitching at that point since you gave her a chance. At all times be nice, don't stoop to her level. If you have to report her, be nice in how you do that as well, explain to HR that you asked her politely to not make those kinds of jokes given the gravity of your illness, and that all you want is the offensive jokes to stop.

Understand however that this person will probably take it out on you from now on, so be prepared for that to happen.

Thank you! I think this is what I’m going to do. I also spoke with one of the associate attorneys who is well aware of how she is, and this is pretty much what he told me, as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vamped said:

That sounds like the petty old ladies that work with me. I swear they have nothing else to do with their lives but make others miserable. I just kind of learn to ignore them. Sometimes Im better at it than other times.

Yep! Sounds just like this lady!

For someone who’s always talking about how swamped she is, she sure has a lot of time to spend in everyone else’s business...

Sounds like she's doing it to be a pain in the ass. I'd ask her to stop. If you're not sick anymore, there should be nothing for her to worry about.

If it continues, bring it up to a supervisor.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Still Me said:

Have you not said to her...”look I don’t know if you’re trying to be funny or not, but I’m starting to get offended by your comments. So please stop.”

I admit that I haven’t really told her I don’t appreciate it. I’ve been trying to just brush it off to avoid any conflict.
But since she keeps doing it, looks like I’m going to have to suck it up and actually stick up for myself for once. I’m not very good at that... 😅

Gotta keep them in check and tell your boss you're not sick and bring it up to HR if she keeps doing this. Talk to her first and tell her to stop joking because you don't want any misunderstanding from your boss.

If all else fails, battle her in the Shadow Realm?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, renjifan said:

Super rude of her. Someone should set her straight. Idk how you do that in a corporate company. I guess.. "formal complaint" like you said?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Poof said:

Super rude of her. Someone should set her straight. Idk how you do that in a corporate company. I guess.. "formal complaint" like you said?

I’m honestly not entirely sure of the process. I hope she backs off and that it doesn’t get to that point. But if it does, I’ll probably just ask to meet with one of the supervisors or the managing attorney

3 hours ago, discole monade said:

oh man....

i would be coughing and hacking. *properly: into my arm, with a hankie*

only around her. 

bitch. 

Lol! It’s what she deserves...

I mean, I’ve been medically cleared to be there, so she can suck it 😂