UnevenEdge

DBZA is done

HardcoreHunter

And the hacks copied my header for when we ended the BHTSY comic. Coincidence I think not! In short they were going to fully reanimated the buu arc to avoid any issues in youtube; without using any of the common sense that characters are still owned by toei etc. Have one guy animate all of it, including all of the absorption and being blown apart scenes in a glorified garys mod. Then I guess they realized that playing video games while doing podcast chats is easier and just canned the whole thing. I say it's for the best as I know it would have been bad and probably would have been dropped faster than Funi dropped interspecies reviewers. Still the amount of announcements for their plans the past year, and smug bullshit aura about them is really something else, I really don't think they acted as smug as they do years back when working on the Saiyan and namek saga. I think as soon as the android saga came in, internet fame hit them in a bad way. I see this going two ways. Either they'll announce that they'll be working on the buu arc a year from now, or the channel is going to die and everyone will go there separate ways. They really aren't very compelling "lets players" to listen to, and their other projects are all pretty bad. I don't think they have the creativity and work ethic as shown by the past couple of years; to actually make something that they both enjoy, and that will keep subscribers and patreons around to feed all of their lifestyles. 

https://www.patreon.com/posts/end-of-dbza-33758684

• Confused 1

I'm not too surprised by this, not after they stabbed the audience's back by suddenly cancelling Bojack Abridged. Guess my theory that they were gonna do a shorter-form abridgement of it as a service to the fans as an April Fools' Day video just went up in smoke.

Still, it was a good run. A longer run than necessary, but a good one.

Idk why but I am getting some really entitled vibes from some of u in here lol like they owe it to u to keep going? Do u personally fund them on Patreon or something? You know ur not locked into an ironclad contract rite? U can just... u kno... cancel ur subscription to it? Wutever I enjoyed their DBZ Abridged and if it never get to the Buu arc who really cares? One of the lamest and weakest arc in that show overall imo anyway. Thanks for all the laughs and fun times guys wish you good fortune and success in the future. Lol was that so hard? Idk man why u so bitter about this? 

Edit: Feken lel to anyone says shit like "Idk man fame hit them in a bad way" coming from someone never been famous themselves LOL WOW

Edited by Lytbryt
  • Thanks 2
  • D'oh 1

I never gave a single fuck over anyone involved in abridged series. I watched and liked the DBZ one up to the end of Namek, stopped watching it after. Their people rub me the wrong way, and their lets plays are cringy af, especially when the ones I've seen them upload is essentially them acting like Vegeta is playing the game, them striking me as one trick ponies.

As for LK, I seen some episodes of YGOA here and there, but I don't like the guy. Meeting your fans is one thing, but that dude definitely took advantage of the fame he got from his series. Spending most of the year traveling to conventions as a guest, while only putting out 2 or 3 episodes a year of what made him famous, and then starting a Patreon so he'll keep doing his job like he should have been doing.

Edited by Fortnite Guy Keanu Reeves

8 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

It's not just the dubbing. They do some edits of the footage as well. Some of it is subtle while some of it is a lot more apparent.

Some of the stuff they really didn't need to do and just put more work on themselves for no reason. I remember a video they put out, pretty much to get a pat on the back because nobody noticed the 3 frames where they fixed some rocks, or the few frames they fixed some clothing and hair errors on 18. They really dug their own hole for these problems. The huge amount of work that "needed" done didn't need to be done. Kiser or whoever it is that was in charge of editing just got a "professionalism" stick up their ass on something that started out as a fun fan project. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'm not too surprised by this, not after they stabbed the audience's back by suddenly cancelling Bojack Abridged. Guess my theory that they were gonna do a shorter-form abridgement of it as a service to the fans as an April Fools' Day video just went up in smoke.

Still, it was a good run. A longer run than necessary, but a good one.

I'd agree that with how the android and cell saga went that buu would have just been another drop in quality. They hit their peak with Namek and Frieza. Not to say that Androids and Cell didn't have their moments, but the long waits and self hype really weren't worth the end product, and the work they were putting into editing could have been better used in the script. I think they ran into an issue with writing where everyone began to care too much about the social political impact that the jokes would have. I remember them saying they wanted to go back and re-edit old stuff where they did gay and retarded jokes, but then they continued to run with the dende is gay for gohan gag which I guess they viewed as non-offensive and more inclusive. It really reminds me of the advice I gave people for writing a funny story when asked about it working on BHTSY. Is that just write and don't think about it. You shouldn't have to think about a joke too long. If it fall flat or goes over somebodies head, then so what you didn't spend much time on it and you have a dozen others in line. There are hundreds, thousands, millions of people the joke will connect with somebody. The rapid comedy style is even how the early seasons went, you can tell less thought went into the dialogue. It was like (snap) punchline, (snap) punchline. Later it became build up, build up, exposition, punchline, commentary from other characters on the punchline, make sure everyone understood what the joke was, tries to move on, but man can we go back and look at that punchline again I mean wheeze amiright; before actually moving along.  

3 hours ago, Lytbryt said:

Idk why but I am getting some really entitled vibes from some of u in here lol like they owe it to u to keep going? Do u personally fund them on Patreon or something? You know ur not locked into an ironclad contract rite? U can just... u kno... cancel ur subscription to it? Wutever I enjoyed their DBZ Abridged and if it never get to the Buu arc who really cares? One of the lamest and weakest arc in that show overall imo anyway. Thanks for all the laughs and fun times guys wish you good fortune and success in the future. Lol was that so hard? Idk man why u so bitter about this? 

Edit: Feken lel to anyone says shit like "Idk man fame hit them in a bad way" coming from someone never been famous themselves LOL WOW

You can find some old interviews of them. It's is night and day looking at vlogs from 7 years ago compared to when they began to a year later. Then after that it just seemed like went progressively down hill. Really I'm fine with it ending with Cell. It's just that the past 3 years especially they've been acting like asshats to their fandom. Also you're retarded if you go with the whole "you can't understand the changes that come with money and fame if you have neither".  If that's the case then people without guns shouldn't be allowed to vote on gun laws etc. You can tell when people used to be good by their fans, and have changed overtime for the worse.  

Not even talking about their DBZA content, just their interaction with fans became worse. It's similar to how many would describe the Nostalgia critic and to a lesser extent AVGN. Someone who created a thing that they're known for and people like, but they despise that it's become their signature. The difference is that AVGN never became toxic towards their fanbase he just became burnt out; the Critic and TFS came to resent their community. James/AVGN did have burn out and went and did his passion project of making a bad movie, which I think humbled him some in realizing his limitations. Doug/the critic on the other hand did his passion project failed, blamed the fans for bandwagoning him. He will never admit that he isn't bigger than the character that he made and it eats at him.  Then when he brought back the critic character with his unfunny theater troop to do their skits, and never stopped being jaded over it; and has only gone back to actually reviewing things when most of his staff left after the whistleblowing for covering up mistreatment and sexual misconduct happened.  TFS has done a lot of the same blaming when their live action skit videos didn't go over well, and their lets plays don't get enough subs on twitch. Then TFS was putting out news videos to be quirky, but would hide the lead like 20mins into 40-60min videos. Then issue apologies over how badly they handled giving bad news. I actually liked this patreon statement they made for actually being concise and clearly stating what is going on compared to the last two horribly done videos they put out to deliver news. 

If I were to say though why recently TFS has lost interest in the series, it would be because sean schemmel put them on blast at an anime con. Someone asked Sean what he thought about TFS and DBZA and he lost it and went on a rant. Pretty much called them all thieves, what they're doing is illegal. Said they aren't real voice actors and it was insulting to his profession to compare them. That it's weird for him to think of someone else voicing Goku, because "He is Goku"; oh they made some sounds and clips for a video game big whoop. etc. Really I think he was being an asshole right there, and I actually don't like Sean as a person now because of him acting like that. He shouldn't be threatened or annoyed to that level even if he disagreed with the idea of abridged series. Calling them thieves that are stealing from the license holders, and belittling their legitimate work was childish; ontop of the cringe of saying that He is Goku.  Apparently he got Peter Kelamis who was Goku in Ocean dub, booted from a panel because only He can be Goku.  

Though it must have hit home at TFS; since it's around that time that TFS began to take extra long hiatuses, and began talking more about wanting to be a legitimate company, and "trying other projects, and promising that DBZA will always be their main focus they wouldn't betray their fans like that, they are just trying something new and refreshing".  Most of the people who are giving off that "entitled" vibe is over the years of smoke being blown up their ass. I knew buu would be bad, and after their last news announcement I knew the writing was on the walls. I'm just actually surprised that they announced it, rather than milking their patreons longer. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lytbryt said:

Hehe I love some of LKs stuff 

Yeah it sucks that he had a bunch of health issues. It's funny how he mostly did Yugioh solo; still had more content out than TFS, actually improved the quality of the episodes, and didn't bloat them to be longer than the actual source material. All while holding down a job and having a child and doing this out of his home, and gives an apology to his fans for not updtating because he's been sick and is having expensive issues with his health. TFS all quit their jobs to make abridging their full time gig, bought an expensive office with staff and interns, takes even longer to produce episodes; then makes videos telling fans their entitled assholes for asking questions and expecting something audacious like content or updates.  

4 minutes ago, Lytbryt said:

Wow TL;DR

They turned into assholes over the years and blame fans for wanting content.

They've pretty much become the nostalgia critic and think they're better than their brand 

Goku english VA put them on blast and called them thieves but is also a piece of shit

If you couldn't have read that tl;dr then how can you have an opinion on any of this LOL WOW

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fortnite Guy Keanu Reeves said:

I never gave a single fuck over anyone involved in abridged series. I watched and liked the DBZ one up to the end of Namek, stopped watching it after. Their people rub me the wrong way, and their lets plays are cringy af, especially when the ones I've seen them upload is essentially them acting like Vegeta is playing the game, them striking me as one trick ponies.

As for LK, I seen some episodes of YGOA here and there, but I don't like the guy. Meeting your fans is one thing, but that dude definitely took advantage of the fame he got from his series. Spending most of the year traveling to conventions as a guest, while only putting out 2 or 3 episodes a year of what made him famous, and then starting a Patreon so he'll keep doing his job like he should have been doing.

Agree on the first part. LK though I think was just milking his fame while he could, and actually understood how finite it was. Unlike TFS him and his wife still hold down jobs and the abridge series isn't their bread and butter. 

2 minutes ago, elfie said:

I still think Toei hated them for really petty reasons, and I'm glad I got to see the TFS-casted version of the movie scene in Kai at least once.

From what I remember they were off radar until MasakoX and some of the others met with Toriyama at a con. The video has been removed, I assume due to Toei. However what happened was they found Toriyama at a con. He gives MasakoX a signed Goku figure, I think Masako gives him some DBZA merch ghost nappa thing. After that everyone is saying that Toriyama is a big DBZA fan, he endorses DBZA etc. Toei then looks at it and sees that they're selling shirts and merch with their IP, using their golden goose to promote themselves, etc and brought the hammer down on their youtube and I guess it got funimation into shit as well with them for not managing it themselves. Toriyama then put out a statement about protected IP's and how he won't even draw another mangaka's work without their permission first; and said that altering someone elses work is sick/wrong /end script given to him by his overlords. 

So pretty much the moral of the story is don't fly too close to the sun on wax wings. TFS though after that happened rather than blaming themselves for recording and uploading the video, or toei for overreacting, they pretty much blamed the fans for spreading the hype and getting it noticed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Fuck you

30 minutes ago, Chapzilla_2000 said:

I couldn’t get into DBZA or much of Team Four Star’s output. Their humor really leaned on the idea that you can automatically make any sentence a joke if you add the word “bitch” to it. 

Fuck you, bitch.

I don't know... that word really does improve every sentence. It's hard to argue with it.

46 minutes ago, Chapzilla_2000 said:

I couldn’t get into DBZA or much of Team Four Star’s output. Their humor really leaned on the idea that you can automatically make any sentence a joke if you add the word “bitch” to it. 

It works...sometimes.  The problem is overuse.

Look, the team will need to get real jobs after this given they’re persona non grata thanks to Toei, so I expect this Patreon to go badly.

31 minutes ago, Daos said:

Fuck you, bitch.

I don't know... that word really does improve every sentence. It's hard to argue with it.

It's the bacon issue where bitches are amazing in a few circumstances, but wedge 'em in anywhere and you just get floppy bacon slices on everything. If Team Fourstar never made money on "bitches love cannons" or "Pussed out like a bitch" merch, they need to get better staffing. 

EDIT: I forgot "Bitch, I eat people!"

Edited by Chapzilla_2000

12 minutes ago, Jman said:

It works...sometimes.  The problem is overuse.

Look, the team will need to get real jobs after this given they’re persona non grata thanks to Toei, so I expect this Patreon to go badly.

I try to like their stuff, but their videos suffer from lingering on one joke for too long. I'm reminded of the FFVII Abridged they made recently where they spent a good minute having Tifa describe Cloud getting prison-raped, and it just felt like it took forever to get to the end of a punchline that came and went 5 seconds into the joke.

17 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

And the hacks copied my header for when we ended the BHTSY comic. Coincidence I think not! In short they were going to fully reanimated the buu arc to avoid any issues in youtube; without using any of the common sense that characters are still owned by toei etc. Have one guy animate all of it, including all of the absorption and being blown apart scenes in a glorified garys mod. Then I guess they realized that playing video games while doing podcast chats is easier and just canned the whole thing. I say it's for the best as I know it would have been bad and probably would have been dropped faster than Funi dropped interspecies reviewers. Still the amount of announcements for their plans the past year, and smug bullshit aura about them is really something else, I really don't think they acted as smug as they do years back when working on the Saiyan and namek saga. I think as soon as the android saga came in, internet fame hit them in a bad way. I see this going two ways. Either they'll announce that they'll be working on the buu arc a year from now, or the channel is going to die and everyone will go there separate ways. They really aren't very compelling "lets players" to listen to, and their other projects are all pretty bad. I don't think they have the creativity and work ethic as shown by the past couple of years; to actually make something that they both enjoy, and that will keep subscribers and patreons around to feed all of their lifestyles. 

https://www.patreon.com/posts/end-of-dbza-33758684

There's only one person I see who's acting smug here.

And lol thinking that they'd need to copy something you made.  Or even know it existed.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Chapzilla_2000 said:

I try to like their stuff, but their videos suffer from lingering on one joke for too long. I'm reminded of the FFVII Abridged they made recently where they spent a good minute having Tifa describe Cloud getting prison-raped, and it just felt like it took forever to get to the end of a punchline that came and went 5 seconds into the joke.

Oh yes, that. That was painful and unfunny and prompted me to never watch another episode of Machinabridged. Easily one of their lowest moments.

16 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

And lol thinking that they'd need to copy something you made.  Or even know it existed.

That was a joke I wasn't actually serious. If anything I ripped it off of Evangelion. Saying coincidence I think not, I figured was a good enough of an lol jk to not have to explain the joke.  Though you'd be surprised at the number of more "famous" than I people who read our comic. It's been translated into multiple languages. Invented the term shoulder loli to the point that our comic is the first image that pops up if you search it in google, and tv tropes uses a quote from the comic for their shoulder teammate page. People have cosplayed as characters from it in the boobies uniform at cons. It had facebook and tumblr groups, had people actually trying to steal and sell some of the art, people draw their own fanart and stories based around it, and it ended up with over 8 million views. Gairon and I were surprised back when it got 50k views. Though yeah T4S is more popular by leagues, me saying they stole anything from us was a joke. 

2 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Oh yes, that. That was painful and unfunny and prompted me to never watch another episode of Machinabridged. Easily one of their lowest moments.

I never watched it...Sounds like its for the best. I really think they wouldn't have become as jaded and burnt out as they have, had they not fully committed to youtube as their livelyhoods. They made a lot of claims that it needed to be done to get things out asap, but it ended up taking even longer between releases. Then the youtube algorithm changed twice and screwed them up trying to follow it. At cons they were telling people to stay away from abridging it's dead. Despite series like SAO and Goblin Slayer abridged finding success. It pretty much just sounded like they were saying that "if we can't succeed then nobody in this field will succeed".  Really I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. A lot of people just use abridged as an entertainment outlet, in the same way that I'd write funny skits. They don't plan to make a living and have dollar signs in their eyes. Others find it a good way to practice voice acting, as a lot of new voice actors started out voicing for abridged series. Just makes you wonder how things may have been had they just taken their time and took things back a notch. 

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...