UnevenEdge

jesus died for somebody's sins

Naraku4656

9 minutes ago, Naraku4656 said:

My coworkers make fun of me for all my music references. JOKES ON THEM WHEN I GET ON JEOPARDY

One time when I was watching Jeopardy, the question was “Which band sings ‘Boys are Back in Town’?” or something like that. The first guy buzzes in and goes “Who is Tin Lizzy?” He’s told that’s not right, so the next guy buzzes in and goes, “Who is Tin Lizzy?”

Alex’s face was priceless as he told him it’s still the wrong answer 😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, renjifan said:

One time when I was watching Jeopardy, the question was “Which band sings ‘Boys are Back in Town’?” or something like that. The first guy buzzes in and goes “Who is Tin Lizzy?” He’s told that’s not right, so the next guy buzzes in and goes, “Who is Tin Lizzy?”

sounds like him

18 hours ago, renjifan said:

Fun fact (according to wikipedia): The name Thin Lizzy is based on a comic book character named Tin Lizzy. The band, from Dublin Ireland, changed the spelling to Thin Lizzy, however, in a Dublin accent, Tin and Thin are pronounced the same. 

I don't know if that means they'd say, "where's the thin foil" or "I need to lose weight, I wish I was tinner," but depending on the answer to that, the contestants MAY have been correct and Alex wrong.

4 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Fun fact (according to wikipedia): The name Thin Lizzy is based on a comic book character named Tin Lizzy. The band, from Dublin Ireland, changed the spelling to Thin Lizzy, however, in a Dublin accent, Tin and Thin are pronounced the same. 

I don't know if that means they'd say, "where's the thin foil" or "I need to lose weight, I wish I was tinner," but depending on the answer to that, the contestants MAY have been correct and Alex wrong.

It's always 'th' but the Irish use a very hard 'th'. 

[I mixed up your 'thin foil' question - they don't use 'th' in place of 't', no.  Just sounds like it.] 

On 12/12/2019 at 10:37 AM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

....You're confusing the ever loving fuck out of me. :|

SO: If I were to find a clip of Phil Lynnot saying the name of his band, would I, A YANK, HEAR IT as, "Tin Lizzy" or "Thin Lizzy"?

You'd hear it as a really breathy "Tin Lizzy".  My first comment was to your original post about them pronouncing 't' and 'th' the same way, which they don't...but it sounds like they do to us.  We Americans can't tell the difference because it's like a very thick 'th'.  And Irish people know that, they realize that their 't's and 'th's are nearly the same which is why they changed the name to 'thin' I guess to be funny.  Basically I was agreeing with you that if it were an Irish contestant on Jeopardy it's possible that Alex would not have understood their accent if they were correct and saying "thin"...if it were an Irish host they'd have no problem hearing the 'th' in an Irish contestants' accent (which is why I said "It's always a 'th'..." as in they're pronouncing 'th' not 't' because it's not like they're spelling it differently, we just can't tell the difference.)

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:13 AM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

So which came first, "Tin Lizzy" (the model T ford) or "Tin Lizzy" the comic book character?