UnevenEdge

Merging [as] into Toonami folder (and general public input on the state of the toonami folder *UPDATED W/POLL*)

Raptorpat

Discussing the Toonami Folder  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an opinion on meeting Toonami & [as] folders?

• Merge!
    • Don't Merge!
    • Cold Indifference!
  2. 2. Do you have an opinion on evolving the block discussion threads?

• Keep the weekly episode discussion threads as-is!
    • Do show discussion threads instead of episode threads!
    • Do weekly block megathreads instead of episode threads!
    • Do a combination of #2 and #3!
    • Other (I will explain in a post)!

I am contemplating another minor board consolidation/reorganization and I am strongly leaning towards merging the adult swim folder into the Toonami folder.

The [as] folder doesn't get a lot of traffic on its own, there is a bit of duplication with some announcements, and the nature of comedy shows means most don't get a whole lot of discussion (and something towards the VB side might not get discussion because the folder is dead).

So in my mind, a combined folder would probably largely be Toonami and the Saturday routine as normal, with more general [as] announcements/threads and the occasional comedy show thread thrown in. But as you are the folks who use this folder the most, I want your input - you can drop a quick vote, or even reply if you want to state a case or make a point.

Thanks!

There's more complaining than there are fun discussions. To make matters worse, the hostile keyboard warrior antics over who's right and who's wrong is toxic as well as repulsive.

I've got much bigger problems in my daily life than fighting over a cartoon's ratings.

This may sound condescending but when I do have more time, I post on a much older forum with more mature adults that resonate with me.

There's nothing wrong with being passionate about hobbies and interests, but Toonami's fandom, especially from ASMB's community has the tendency to suck the fun out of watching a show.

After a long and stressful day, I like being able to enjoy what I'm watching in peace without someone nitpicking it to death or having to deal with someone's attitude problems because I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of hatred, for a show I actually happen to like.

For the most part, lurking and leaving is the best option.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 1
  • D'oh 1

3 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the discussions here are completely not fun, but I agree that there needs to be a major downtick in the complaining, especially in the Food Wars and Fire Force threads.

Thank god I only DVR the shows I like

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Uhh, how are they not "discussions???"

They're play-by-play reaction threads with minimal interaction between users. They're threads that end as soon as the episode is over because nobody cares enough to give them any extra thought. It's certainly a far cry from the days when AD would spend page after page on in depth character analysis or musical motifs or foreshadowing. It's all just "Wow, that happened."

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

There's more complaining than there are fun discussions. To make matters worse, the hostile keyboard warrior antics over who's right and who's wrong is toxic as well as repulsive.

I've got much bigger problems in my daily life than fighting over a cartoon's ratings.

This may sound condescending but when I do have more time, I post on a much older forum with more mature adults that resonate with me.

There's nothing wrong with being passionate about hobbies and interests, but Toonami's fandom, especially from ASMB's community has the tendency to suck the fun out of watching a show.

After a long and stressful day, I like being able to enjoy what I'm watching in peace without someone nitpicking it to death or having to deal with someone's attitude problems because I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of hatred, for a show I actually happen to like.

For the most part, lurking and leaving is the best option.

I feel like this mentality is a remnant of the bad old days on ASA, before there was anime on every single streaming channel, a ton of it for free or nestled nicely next to Stranger Things or The Handmaid’s Tale.

There were only X number of slots, and odds are good DeMarco in his infinite wisdom was probably not going to pick the show you and your friends liked, for whatever reason, and there were plenty (rates, age, DeMarco’s confessed dislike of fanservice elements).  So everyone naturally felt left out and lashed out the best way they knew how to on a forum.  Call the show dumb and compare its fans to barely sapient pond scum that are contributing to the dumbing of society.

The thing is, we don’t really need to do that anymore.  So what Fire Force isn’t your bag?  (I like it but I’ve admittedly fallen behind).  There’s only what...two dozen shows being simulcast this season?  You’re no longer at the whim of Toonami/Adult Swim as the supreme arbiters of what does and doesn’t get shown to the masses.  It helps if like gen:Lock you’re behind paywalls most people are uninterested in, but for the most part, they don’t control what people can and cannot watch, save some annoying dub exclusives with Viz and Aniplex.

But it’s so ingrained in how we operate that our approach hasn’t really changed, despite the plenty of content we have.

• Like 1

I don't mind merging the folders.

I would clean up all the pins/floats. 

I would keep a floated welcome thread, and drop down to a single "Toonami" discussion thread for the week; treating the broadcast as single discussion event for that week. This might foster a broader discussion of the broadcast as a whole. It makes it easier to discuss recurring themes between different shows, to compare and contrast story elements and production elements, or to share your thoughts on the strengths or weaknesses of the block that week.

As far as toxicity (really lets call it immaturity) goes, that is the sort of thing that has to come from the community. Yes, we should stop picking on people, but until there are substantial consequences for acting in an immature manner it is going to happen. In general, the more you talk to people the less the immature nonsense happens. People want to talk to each other, we are social creatures, the key is to engage each other with respect.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

s. 

I would keep a floated welcome thread, and drop down to a single "Toonami" discussion thread for the week; treating the broadcast as single discussion event for that week. This might foster a broader discussion of the broadcast as a whole. It makes it easier to discuss recurring themes between different shows, to compare and contrast story elements and production elements, or to share your thoughts on the strengths or weaknesses of the block that week.

Good luck convincing everyone who participates on those threads to go along with this. Also shouldn't this be for a whole new poll?

• D'oh 1

and drop down to a single "Toonami" discussion thread for the week; treating the broadcast as single discussion event for that week.

Yeah that sounds like an absolute clusterfuck having that many shows discussed in the same thread.

If you wanted to condense things you could have one thread per show for its entire run, similar to the rerun threads. 

Eh, I don't think a weekly block discussion thread would be so bad. Look at what we've got now. As soon as one show is over, the thread for it is all but abandoned as everyone flocks to the next show thread for their reaction posts.

Hell, why not both ideas? Weekly block thread for all the instant reactions and +1s, dedicated show threads for actually digging into the show/episodes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • D'oh 2

Also, generally speaking, I was also contemplating shuffling the media folders around post-merger.

My presumption was that a merged Toonami/[as] folder would be a subfolder of TV/Movies, and I was thinking about also making the general anime/manga folder a subfolder of TV/movies. Kind of like an Action/OA feel.

Only catch (if you are obsessive compulsive enough) is that it's both anime/manga and manga is literature rather than TV.

With this I just want the folder list to be as clutter-free as possible, and condensed enough to the fundamentals that people consider using the folders. I've condensed it an enormous amount (you notice if you don't hide the archive section - but you should probably just hide the archive section) since I became admin, but I don't think we're there yet.

• D'oh 1

14 hours ago, rpgamer said:

They're play-by-play reaction threads with minimal interaction between users. They're threads that end as soon as the episode is over because nobody cares enough to give them any extra thought. It's certainly a far cry from the days when AD would spend page after page on in depth character analysis or musical motifs or foreshadowing. It's all just "Wow, that happened."

I think it depends on the show and the episode. Some episodes have zero deep discussion capability, others, an immense amount of depth to them.

In the old days, when [as] would actually rerun their anime acquisitions a time or two (or more), they would "breathe new life" into older shows. Now, I almost always rely on a midweek rewatch just to watch the shows because the discussions are a bit of a distraction.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 8:23 AM, rpgamer said:

Even on the ASMB they were like this since at least 2010. I'm not sure why the vapid play-by-play took over from more involved discussions, but I know that's about when I gave up on reading the threads. 

6 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Even on the ASMB they were like this since at least 2010. I'm not sure why the vapid play-by-play took over from more involved discussions, but I know that's about when I gave up on reading the threads. 

Well first of all.... by the time Toonami airs most of its anime people have already talked about it. Sometimes years ago. 

The second main thing... is lets face it.. most of the stuff they air isn't exactly Stein's Gate. They're mostly simple Shonens designed for mass appeal. I like One Punch man and all but what kind of involved discussion were you guys expecting out of that?

23 hours ago, Daos said:

But if I don't get at lemoose in ast one death threat a week I get sad.

I'm sure you can taunt Moose anytime you feel the need to have someone "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"....

23 hours ago, elfie said:

Good luck convincing everyone who participates on those threads to go along with this. Also shouldn't this be for a whole new poll?

I think they would be willing to give it a try. After all, it might be well received, it hasn't really been tried to my knowledge. Give it a month, say over December, to really give it a fair chance. If it works and people like it, cool. If it is a jumbled mess, then we can go back. If it seems to be somewhere in between, then have a community discussion over how to adjust it. The key is to foster ongoing dialogue.

22 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Eh, I don't think a weekly block discussion thread would be so bad. Look at what we've got now. As soon as one show is over, the thread for it is all but abandoned as everyone flocks to the next show thread for their reaction posts.

Hell, why not both ideas? Weekly block thread for all the instant reactions and +1s, dedicated show threads for actually digging into the show/episodes.

I think this might be the best solution, a place for immediate reaction/+1/like farming for all the shows for that week, and different individual show threads for anyone who seeks depth in the path of ramen noodle bowls and Jojo's Golden showers. A hybrid of the two seems better, but keep the floats to a minimum, if a show is generating discussion, it will rise on its own merit. If it is just not the kind of show that people watch for more than yelling and power-up attacks followed by one-liners, then the weekly discussion thread is good enough for that.

20 hours ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

Also, generally speaking, I was also contemplating shuffling the media folders around post-merger.

I think the media folders are just about right, there is room enough for just about any category without it being too unwieldy.

3 hours ago, Daos said:

Well first of all.... by the time Toonami airs most of its anime people have already talked about it. Sometimes years ago. 

The second main thing... is lets face it.. most of the stuff they air isn't exactly Stein's Gate. They're mostly simple Shonens designed for mass appeal. I like One Punch man and all but what kind of involved discussion were you guys expecting out of that?

Man, you've got no idea how much discussion we could squeeze out of something like Inuyasha back in the day.

Call anything as shallow as you want, they're still characters, with motivations. Some level of thought goes into their design and how it conveys their personality, what influenced their mannerisms, how would this character react to this situation, morality, behavior.

If anyone's truly interested in a subject, there's no end to the level of dissection they can achieve.

I still remember the "Kikyou: Good, Bad, or just Misunderstood thread," wherein we could debate, page after page, various ways to interpret the actions of one single character in one show.

I still remember GELLHA, some of the largest and longest running threads in the early board days, diving into every possible subject on any given anime.

I remember making a thread for just discussing anime eyes, sharing pics to show just how much emotion can be displayed through drawings of a single facial feature.

Of course, that was also back when we were all younger, able to fritter away our lives on the most simplest subjects that came to mind. Maybe it's just that we all got older, no longer having the time to dig very deep anymore.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

I think the media folders are just about right, there is room enough for just about any category without it being too unwieldy.

Any reorganization in my brain was really just moving anime and toonami to be subforums of TV. After toonami/as, there really isn't anything left to merge and I'm not ready to wholesale shut any folders down (except foods, if it didn't have so many dedicated threads).

Inuyasha had TONS of stuff people could talk about. This is one of the reasons for its long lasting success. Inuyasha himself wasn't really the deepest character, but Naraku and Sesshomaru, Kikyo, all of Naraku's incarnations and even the Shikon Jewel all had their own motivations and felt like they had depth to them.

I honestly don't see how much of that you can milk out of Food Wars. You can start a discussion thread on it but I don't think it's going to go anywhere.

There was a discussion thread on RE Zero on the old board and that never even aired on Toonami. I think when anime that benefit from a more in depth discussion come along people will talk about it more.

• Like 1

To start off, I agree that we should merge [as] and Toonami into one folder. I'd love to see more discussion on the comedy shows.

As for the rest... wow, there's some really good discussion going on in here. I like the idea of bringing back the general Toonami threads and making a single one (not weekly) for each show. On top of cutting down on folder clutter, it would be much more convenient to discuss a show in its entirety. There are often particular things I want to say about an episode that I missed and are just catching up on after a few weeks, so not having to go back to that particular thread and bump it to get my thoughts out is easier on the folder. Of course, this assumes I'm actually actively discussing things, but I'll get to it soon...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

I updated the OP with a second poll on the discussion threads, so everyone who has expressed an opinion please drop a vote! Let me know if I missed something or made a mistake.

Also don't vote will alts to artificially inflate your choice's support.

you can only vote once with this current system you're  better off making a new thread for the second poll