UnevenEdge

Gen:LOCK Episode 8 "Identity Crisis" Season 1 (Series?) Finale Discussion

OwlChemist81

Just now, elfie said:

I fear that any new shows by RT will be replaced by a corporate studio instead of the in-house staff, now that WarnerMedia replaced all the head figures and rules.

The rumor is RT will be folded into Cartoon Network studios.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

i can admit now I've never once cared for this show on toonami....

Same, I didn't care for the story, the animation was poor, and the most damning part was the top tier voice talent they hired didn't do particularly well or add anything to their roles.

1 minute ago, elfie said:

So I was hoping doc would actually be alive in a twist, but no such luck. Unless Toonami didn't air a post-credits scene/

Hmm, might have been waiting to do it with a second batch of eps. Technically this is still super early at merely an 8th episode and he probably knows too much spoilers, so there's probably more for them to learn before he could come back

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daos said:

Same, I didn't care for the story, the animation was poor, and the most damning part was the top tier voice talent they hired didn't do particularly well or add anything to their roles.

i feel like this stems from them hiring people because they were famous actors and not because they were good VA's

• Like 2

So Miranda is here.  Was that glossed over earlier, or did I miss it?  I hope it wasn't edited.  The last episode at least should be unedited.

This fight is awesome.

Not the same Miranda anymore either.

Sooo did Miranda break up with her boyfriend or what?  Because she saying here she is still giving Chase a shot.

But he has NO body now.  So they wouldn't even be able to...

You still haven't explained what this war is about or what the Union and Polity are!

So wait what are they doing?

• Like 2

And now, for the season (series, most likely) review:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/gen-lock/.144689

• Overall : B
  • Story : C+
  • Animation : B
  • Art : B+
  • Music : B+

It's that "cool" factor that got the show on Toonami. And I was pleasantly surprised this episode brought an actual conclusion to the Nemesis story arc.

I guess when the article was written in the spring, a season 2 was a lot more likely than it is now.

• Thanks 1

So that was gen:Lock, or as Mochi and others have called it, gen:ERIC.  And it is a wonderful example of ambition exceeding grasp of a studio, with a lot of behind the scenes drama that would never have occurred had the ambition of the series not been so grandiose.  Actors with several Emmy and Oscar nominations between them, plans for a tie-in comic, and who knows what else?

The problem is, barring all the behind the scenes horror stories, barring all the other drama, what we really have is a generic real robot show that when compared against the prequel to Gundam The Origin shows just how flat and boring Western attempts at the genre pale to their Eastern counterparts.

In eight episodes we know Jack crap about the Union, their motivations, why war was declared, something that the Origin manga answered in its prologue.  We have...Rooster Teeth’s usual QUALITY.  Here’s an idea, instead of going out of your way to hire Arya Stark, look at how the Japanese have made CG animation work.  There was no reason not to invest your money in that and hire the usual VA pool instead of getting Killmonger.

So we don’t know anything about the world, the animation is ass, and the celebrity voice cast wasn’t even advertised save some vague statements.  David Tenant is acting his ass off as per usual but everyone else doesn’t have two craps to give about this animu crap.  

The end result isn’t incompetent.  It’s just thoroughly mediocre and was blown up into something it was never meant to be.  And the writers performed the classic screw up of saving explanations for a second season that will never be made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Here’s a video explaining why Arc System Works was able to do something others have struggled with.

Almost like animators should invest in animation.

the studio that made land of the Lustrous was able to make CG look gorgeous on almost no budget
ac0a6a6410f46bb1b6d835c754858ded29651dc38cb16624f3b001a8106e2bf4f3d796f1e8a10c97

tumblr_p9ex3t6DIL1v5i4ceo5_500.giftumblr_p1hccyJDA11tnk2buo4_500.gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, elfie said:

How do you know this part?

Studio Orange (the studio that made Land of the Lustrous) is apparently known as the studio you go to when you need good quality animation for a small budget

kind of like Titmouse is here in the states

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mochi said:

Studio Orange (the studio that made Land of the Lustrous) is apparently known as the studio you go to when you need good quality animation for a small budget

kind of like Titmouse is here in the states

I had no idea they work on a small budget. In fact I never really questioned what their budget was.

14 minutes ago, elfie said:

I had no idea they work on a small budget. In fact I never really questioned what their budget was.

at least in Titmouse's case, their big claim to fame (and their first production) was a G.I. Joe movie they produced using only a handful of animators, 4 voice actors and a tiny tiny budget 

Edited by mochi
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

So, gen:LOCK. It was far from perfect, and many of the complaints I've heard make sense. But I liked it, and if a second season somehow finds its way into production past all that behind-the-scenes drama, I'd watch it. 8/10.

Also, I'm pretty sure Titmouse produced stuff long before G.I. Joe Resolute came along. Megas XLR and Metalocalypse, anyone?

• Like 4

On 9/21/2019 at 10:35 PM, elfie said:

I also realized this show is ALMOST DEVOID of actual battles!

What in the world gave you THAT idea!? Every episode had an "actual battle" in it except Episodes 2 and 3. Episode 2 had hand-to-hand combat and espionage instead of a mecha battle, so the only episode that didn't have any true danger whatsoever was 3.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:50 PM, elfie said:

His body is no more.

Now now, we don't know that for sure. The implication of that scene with the multiple red copies of Chase was that this Nemesis they were fighting against...was merely a copy as well, and one of like several dozen! Perhaps in Season 2, we would have gotten an expanded gen:LOCK force vs. a whole army of Nemeses! Toonami, make it happen!

And if there IS a Season 2 by RT or CN Studios, my suggestion is to build it to air on Toonami instead of online, which would mean a strict 22-minute runtime, but how many episodes? The whole first season as streamed by Rooster Teeth was 213 minutes 43 seconds, but subtract the OPs and you're down to 200 minutes 3 seconds of actual "show". Therefore if there is a made-for-TV 2nd season that is effectively the same length as the first, it would most likely be 10 episodes instead of 8 in a "made-for-TV" format. But of course there is no guarantee that Toonami would make the 2nd season the same length--or at all!

Edited by OwlChemist81