• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• helpme

• Sawdamizer

• Seight

• tsar4

15 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Actually more a Boomer generation thing.  I don't remember having to do it beyond 2nd grade, which was before a Gen X'er would have even been in Kindergarten.

It was mostly converted to "earthquake drills" by the '70s.  The purpose changed as the Cold War fizzled out, but the drill itself never really changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

It was mostly converted to "earthquake drills" by the '70s.  The purpose changed as the Cold War fizzled out, but the drill itself never really changed.

Might be true out west, but in Illinois, it was switched to tornado drills and we'd go into the hallways and pretty much assume the same position as we did under the desks.

• Like 1

Just now, tsar4 said:

Might be true out west, but in Illinois, it was switched to tornado drills and we'd go into the hallways and pretty much assume the same position as we did under the desks.

The point is the same.  The drills never went away no matter where they were, and it was obvious what they were actually for because they didn't really address the catastrophe they were purported to be responding to.

1 hour ago, tsar4 said:

Actually more a Boomer generation thing.  I don't remember having to do it beyond 2nd grade, which was before a Gen X'er would have even been in Kindergarten.

True.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Also true. I definitely remember getting under the desk for the earthquake drills. 

I also remember our parents packing us big ass "earthquake bags" of snacks at the beginning of the year, to be stored in the classroom in case an earthquake ruins the building and traps us. Which never happened and at the end of every year we'd open our earthquake bags in class and all pig out.

2 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

True.

Also true. I definitely remember getting under the desk for the earthquake drills. 

I also remember our parents packing us big ass "earthquake bags" of snacks at the beginning of the year, to be stored in the classroom in case an earthquake ruins the building and traps us. Which never happened and at the end of every year we'd open our earthquake bags in class and all pig out.

Earthquake bags?  Never hear of that before.

3 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Basically the same idea. Get trapped under a bunch of rubble, we got our snacks.

Anyone who's ever been in an earthquake knows you ain't eating snacks if you're stuck under rubble.  Also, school desks don't offer much protection from rubble either.

1 minute ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

But what were they going to do, just admit there's nothing they could do in the event of an earthquake? :/

Well, there are better ways to protect yourself in the event of an earthquake.  But, that's not the point:  we're talking about how earthquake drills were just rebadged nuclear attack drills.