UnevenEdge

Junji Ito's 90's Horror Series Uzumaki getting animated, coming to Toonami

3ngag3

Weird choice. Might give it a shot, but the manga was a pretty major letdown. For every good chapter there were 3-4 unbearably stupid ones.

Even reading it stoned, it freaked me out a whole 3 times.

I was especially put off by the relentless idiocy of the main character. It's like she forgets the ridiculous shit she sees every story arc. Why the fuck aren't you trying to get out? Why are you actively opposed to leaving?

Like, her boyfriend's all, "yo, we need to leave."

And she's like, "No."

And he goes, "why?"

And she's like, "I dunno."

Then he's all, "oh, 'kay."

Only for her to be royally shocked when shit goes nuts for the 15th time.

Fucking serious?

Hot damn. I know this doesn't seem like a sexy announcement, but Ito is basically the name to know in Japanese horror, and he's become a lot more respected overseas over the last few years. The fact that they're putting a series of his on Toonami is pretty cool, and you know it's at least going to be better than the Junji Ito Collection anime that aired last year.

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

So is this show gonna be in grayscale?

If so, BOLD move for Toonami!!

DeMarco tweeted the confirmation that yes the whole show will be in grayscale.

I think there was recently another anime adapting this. .... but it was such a poorly-conceived production that it made it hilarious to watch!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

So is this show gonna be in grayscale?

If so, BOLD move for Toonami!!

1 hour ago, elfie said:

DeMarco tweeted the confirmation that yes the whole show will be in grayscale.

I think there was recently another anime adapting this. .... but it was such a poorly-conceived production that it made it hilarious to watch!

That he did.  But any idea, why?

If Demarco thinks viewers won't watch shows that are and/or look "too old" (and he's right, look at Lupin, which he got anyway,) does he really think people will watch a show in black and white?  After all, there's people that refuse to watch black and white movies just because they're in black and white.

And just because the manga is in black and white, doesn't mean you make the show in black and white. Most manga is in black and white.  In fact, Uzumaki's manga volume covers are in color -

Uzumaki.jpg

There's even color spreads -

uzumaki004.JPG

uzumaki005.JPG

So it's not like "this world is supposed to be in black and white."  Oh, Demarco.

• Like 2
  • D'oh 1

Here is a behind the scenes featurette Demarco linked to on his Twitter.  Everyone seems happy about the show.  Still don't get the black and white thing that they are leaning hard into.  Since it says "ONLY TOONAMI," when are the Japanese going to get this show?

4 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

Is this what the show is actually going to look like?  It looks like a motion comic.  I thought they were just showing like a little promo to give an idea of what they're making, what they're adapting.  But after what Demarco said...

This Colin Stetson sounds like one of Demarco's hand-picked hipster artists.

https://pitchfork.com/news/colin-stetson-scores-new-nicolas-cage-movie-color-out-of-space/

Well, if this is the same guy, it says here he is scoring a movie adaptation of an H.P. Lovecraft novel, so maybe he is suited for this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, naraku360 said:

Weird choice. Might give it a shot, but the manga was a pretty major letdown. For every good chapter there were 3-4 unbearably stupid ones.

Even reading it stoned, it freaked me out a whole 3 times.

Spoiler

I was especially put off by the relentless idiocy of the main character. It's like she forgets the ridiculous shit she sees every story arc. Why the fuck aren't you trying to get out? Why are you actively opposed to leaving?

Like, her boyfriend's all, "yo, we need to leave."

And she's like, "No."

And he goes, "why?"

And she's like, "I dunno."

Then he's all, "oh, 'kay."

Only for her to be royally shocked when shit goes nuts for the 15th time.

Fucking serious?

Well, that pretty much tells us we should write off everything you said.

Besides, if you say something is bad, it's probably good, and vice versa. :P

Also, spoilers.

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

We Uzumaki Family Power Hour and a Half now!

I don't know why it never occurred to me that Uzumaki means spiral.  It's there in the Uzumaki clan symbol and the Leaf symbol, and the Rasengan.

https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+25001

For the character's name, he chose "Naruto", in reference to a ramen topping called kamaboko, which is a sliced stick with a pink whirlpool-like design in the middle. The reason why he chose this name was because Ramen was the character's favorite food in the series. The character's surname "Uzumaki" is a pun on "spiral" (渦巻), while "Uzumaki" refers to a three-dimensional spiral, like a whirlpool or vortex. A more accurate translation for spiral would be "Rasen". The series is seen to make frequent references to spirals.

• Like 1

Guest Gay_Ops

There was literally no reason to make Progressive or Alternative. 

Was done solely to grab nostalgia bucks. 

I'm sure Turner Broadcasting paid them a pretty penny.

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

That he did.  But any idea, why?

If Demarco thinks viewers won't watch shows that are and/or look "too old" (and he's right, look at Lupin, which he got anyway,) does he really think people will watch a show in black and white?  After all, there's people that refuse to watch black and white movies just because they're in black and white.

And just because the manga is in black and white, doesn't mean you make the show in black and white. Most manga is in black and white.  In fact, Uzumaki's manga volume covers are in color -

Uzumaki.jpg

There's even color spreads -

uzumaki004.JPG

uzumaki005.JPG

So it's not like "this world is supposed to be in black and white."  Oh, Demarco.

The black and white thing is a stylistic choice. It has nothing to do with being outdated .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Well, that pretty much tells us we should write off everything you said.

Besides, if you say something is bad, it's probably good, and vice versa. :P

Also, spoilers.

Not really, even the lamest things can shake me while trippin' balls, but Uzumaki really didn't. There were a few gem parts here and there, sure, but the main character's personality being entirely comprised shocked expressions followed by a completely unjustified unwillingness to take any kind of precaution was so infuriating that I couldn't be freaked out by it. That and some of the stories were remarkably dumb.

Dude... you unironically like SAO and Fairy Tail. 🤨

A horror manga having danger is a spoiler? Or that the main character has sitcom reset syndrome which is immediately present as of, like, chapter 2?

On 8/31/2019 at 6:51 AM, PokeNirvash said:

I'm confident the FLCL sequels they helped produce came first. And even before the official partnership, there's still IGPX to consider.

I wasn't sure if the FLCL sequels were made before or after the partnership.  But yeah, they've had an established relationship for a while.  Also, Stand Alone Complex, right?

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 9:11 AM, elfie said:

The black and white thing is a stylistic choice. It has nothing to do with being outdated .

I know it's a style choice.  I'm saying it doesn't make sense because the series' world isn't meant to be black and white, so it comes off as yet another baffling decision by Demarco, potentially showing he doesn't understand the property at hand, which wouldn't be the first time, and is just making it black and white because it looked cool in the manga.  And casuals might think it is outdated, or not take to it just because it looks different.  Remember that old animes get bad ratings due to how they look, and Lupin gets bad ratings, probably partly because even though it has modern production values, it has that retro art style.  So what are they going to think about this?

From a normal perspective, I think the black and white is kinda dumb, but in the age of MASS STREAMING, stuff like this Primal’s 5 night event miniseries airing, are necessary to put focus on the block, not the shows.  DeMarco has made it a point to describe Toonami as a boutique programming block.

Black Clover and Super aren’t going to fit that mold.  Stuff like this, like Blade Runner will.  It is admittedly a very difficult balance to strike, higher brow programming that people will come back to linear television to see, but unlike say, Cannon Busters, doesn’t come off as derivative or gimmicky.

• Like 3

On 8/31/2019 at 9:15 PM, naraku360 said:

Not really, even the lamest things can shake me while trippin' balls, but Uzumaki really didn't. There were a few gem parts here and there, sure, but the main character's personality being entirely comprised shocked expressions followed by a completely unjustified unwillingness to take any kind of precaution was so infuriating that I couldn't be freaked out by it. That and some of the stories were remarkably dumb.

Dude... you unironically like SAO and Fairy Tail. 🤨

A horror manga having danger is a spoiler? Or that the main character has sitcom reset syndrome which is immediately present as of, like, chapter 2?

But how can we trust your interpretation of the story if you weren't in your right, sober mind?  That sounds like spoilers too.

Yeah, but I don't claim them to be masterpieces or anything, and I do voice criticisms on them.  At least I'm not like Demarco who said Naruto is one of the best shonens of all time and said the filler is no worse than the canon.  I mean, if he said it was one of the best shonens in ratings and sales, and the filler wasn't much shitter than the canon, he'd be right, lol.  Well, with that in mind, Demarco saying this is one of his favorite horror mangas is not a ringing endorsement lol.

The second thing you said is a spoiler.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:03 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Don't forget Black Clover! ☘️

Black Clover was unfairly maligned!  People were talking like it was the worst shonen ever, but... it's not?  Hey, I was ready to sit there and make fun of it and rag on it as much as anyone.  I love to do that with shows.  It makes shows I don't like watchable.  But I ended up liking it.  People just didn't give it a chance and don't give it enough credit.

• Thanks 2

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3581544/trailer-toonami-adapting-junji-itos-uzumaki-four-episode-series-2020/

So, this thing is just going to be a 4 episode mini-series.  So I guess it's a short manga, or maybe these episodes will be longer than 30 minutes.  I don't know.  I can't imagine they would be cutting things with all the stuff being said about the director being an Ito fan and making this of utmost faithful adaptation.  Demarco was gushing over something he worked on being covered by Bloody Disgusting and didn't dispute anything written in the article, so I assume it's correct.

They also went to a shrine so they wouldn't be "cursed by the dark content of Uzumaki."  Could just be me, but Demarco looked he was being douchy when he was ringing the bell.  Oh, and the Uzumaki book he was holding has a color cover!

1 hour ago, PenguinBoss said:

Yeah, I heard that Schindler's List being in black and white was film critics' biggest issue with it.

The issue isn't with critics, but casual viewers who might avoid the show due to it being black and white and cause it to be a money pit.  Schindler's List did well with critics and audiences.  We'll see what happens with Uzumaki.