UnevenEdge

Dr. Stone On August 24th

The1gairon

http://toonamifaithful.com/dr-stone-heads-to-toonami-on-saturday-august-24th-at-midnight/

....... well then.

One other nagging thing is that they pushed Lupin III Part 5 all the way to 3:30, and MHA is still at the end of the block at 4 though that only has a few episodes left. Lupin III being pushed later in the night isn't surprising since it's not very popular, but again, I didn't think it was THIS bad. It's official by now that the Toonami crew has absolutely no issue pushing premieres at the end of the block, as opposed to before when they always tried to keep new shows at the front.

NEVER get attached to ANYTHING on the block.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jman said:

Well it had a huge push...to be watched online.  And they are seriously behind.

On the plus side, it’s a good show.

I admit, I am not as attached to Lupin III as I am to MHA, so I'll drop the show without nary a difference in the rest of my life.

Well well well!!! We've got a whole hour of near-simuldubs at midnight now! Well done, Toonami!!

I'm not "dropping" Lupin the 3rd, even if it's at 3:30 AM. That's a completely insane timeslot for a dub premiere, but it WAS kinda failing in the ratings. It's only 2:30 AM for me, which is still somewhat watchable. I just hope tonight's episode ends the "EPISODE II" mini-arc because otherwise that's gonna be a pain in the ass!

My Hero Academia Season 3 actually ends tomorrow night, so rerun confirmed at 4 AM!? Or is that a mistake? Guess we'll find out!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Just now, OwlChemist81 said:

Well well well!!! We've got a whole hour of near-simuldubs at midnight now! Well done, Toonami!!

I'm not "dropping" Lupin the 3rd, even if it's at 3:30 AM. That's a completely insane timeslot for a dub premiere, but it WAS kinda failing in the ratings. It's only 2:30 AM for me, which is still somewhat watchable. I just hope tonight's episode ends the "EPISODE II" mini-arc because otherwise that's gonna be a pain in the ass!

My Hero Academia rerun confirmed at 4 AM!? Or is that a mistake? Guess we'll find out!

4 AM.

The block will expand a half-hour.

!@#$%^^&

I just watched episode 7.

Welp..... time to rewatch all 7 episodes in English. =(

But hey good for Toonami, it is the number one show of the season and that's what Toonami needs to keep the lights on around here.

If only they could get these shows when they first drop.

• Like 2

Yeah fooooor SOME reason I didn't catch the part where they said they're not only keeping MHA at 4 AM but RERUNNING it there! 

1. why reruns?? I thought they made an effort to get RID of reruns at the end of the block!

2. IT'S 4 AM! WHO THE FUCK'S GONNA WATCH IT!??

3. If the reason you're rerunning it is because it consistently gets 30% average more viewers than whatever airs before it, then fuckin PUT IT SOMEWHERE EARLIER IN THE BLOCK AGAIN!!

GOOOOOD!!!

Also, I am getting real tired by the recent trend of only announcing show acquisition one week before it begins airing.

Edited by elfie

Wow, I'm surprised. Good job Toonami.

They are getting Demon Hunter as well?

That would be three very solid pick-ups.

Now, on to more audience involvement and investment activities, which can easily be done by unpaid interns on social media. Simple things to build audience investment in the block as a whole would be the optimal thing, even if the shows have already been available online a proper campaign can get people to buy into Toonami the experience as a whole, instead of Toonami the block of programming that shows things we've already seen six weeks ago because we are obsessive weebs with no social life....

Well now we all feel silly for saying that Toonami dropped the ball not getting Dr. Stone, or that it was one of the deals that fell through.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

My Hero Academia kicked all the way to 4AM! T__T Wait, it will be over by then?  So reruns?  And Lupin was majorly demoted.  But not Food Wars?

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/08/16-1/science-rules-when-dr-stone-comes-to-toonami

So this is definitely part of the Crunchyroll deal.  So I guess it worked out better than I thought it would.  I wish they could have gotten it sooner, but better late than never, I suppose!

I'm apprehensive about Super nearing close to its end. Pretty soon we may be facing a Toonami without a lead-in by a Dragonball show, which have all guaranteed the highest ratings for the block. Whenever another show tried to lead-in before them, it always appeared to be a curse. AoT led in, and it resulted in the block being shortened almost in half. MHA led in, and it resulted in MHA being moved to the ass-end of it. I'm pretty worried.

Edited by elfie
  • Sad 1

It looks like MHA is rerunning, albeit at 4 AM, and that's pretty much all I need to know to believe Season 4 is coming--in an EARLIER timeslot, of course!!

Perhaps the timeslot is intended to be a signal?? Running reruns of MHA at 4 = we're getting MHA Season 4!!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1
  • D'oh 1

1 minute ago, Jman said:

Same reason they pick up JoJo.  Keep it off competitors like Netflix.

Yes but then why did they death-slot it?  If they're so intent on keeping it, you'd think they'd use it better.  If it's purely just to keep it away from competitors, this makes them look like hypocrites after Demarco talked about being upset about other networks doing the same thing to them.  Acquiring shows just to sit on them, so Toonami can't have them.  I can't think of who it was right now, but it happened with 3 shows back in the old days, and Demarco seems to still hold a grudge over it even to this day (to a block that no longer exists that was original Toonami's competition at the time.)

11 minutes ago, elfie said:

I'm apprehensive about Super nearing close to its end. Pretty soon we may be facing a Toonami without a lead-in by a Dragonball show, which have all guaranteed the highest ratings for the block. Whenever another show tried to lead-in before them, it always appeared to be a curse. AoT led in, and it resulted in the block being shortened almost in half. MHA led in, and it resulted in MHA being moved to the ass-end of it. I'm pretty worried.

Other shows besides Dragon Ball can definitely lead off the block.  It hasn't always been this way.  Attack on Titan failed because they tried rerunning it in the same slot.  My Hero Academia was before Super.  I think if Super wasn't present and it was just MHA, the result might have been different?  People have been so conditioned to think that Toonami starts with Dragon Ball, so they probably just didn't adjust to watching anything before that if they weren't already.  And just in general I think performance might have been different if MHA was really given the chance to stand on its own without Dragon Ball in the equation, but I could be wrong.

My personal pipe dream is we finally get Bleach's final arc animated, co-funded/produced by Adult Swim/Toonami.  I think Bleach: Bankai has a nice ring to it.  That means "final release," it's a major part of the series, and well -

Spoiler

there's also some Bankai-centric plot points to that arc.

Bleach was a stalwart for ASA and Toonami for many years, after all.

If not that (and most likely isn't that,) maybe Dr. Stone, MHA, or Fire Force can do it, or any other number of big shows still out there that have been mentioned before, if any of them last long enough and are popular enough, and if this popularity translates to Toonami.  Toonami has been so dependent on Dragon Ball for so long, which is very funny when you think about Demarco saying "we don't need Dragon Ball," before it was available, then snatched up Kai as soon as it as available, and now here we are.  If they really haven't made any serious plans for when Super ends, then they're extremely foolish.  And I hope they don't try to just rerun it, at least not in the same time slot.

Though maybe with most shows being seasonal and ongoing long-runners going the way of the dodo, Toonami may be in trouble and have to somehow adjust their strategy to deal with the current way things are done in the industry.  I don't know.  But they better come up with something.

But I mean, getting things like Lupin (though I like it, it's not very popular,) Gundam Origin, and Food Wars at a time like this is wasteful and not smart.  Toonami can't afford to be fucking around like that right now.   They need to get their shit together.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

You assume that just because they're premiering Season 3 right now at 3:30, there's some kind of premium on it? Hell, it's practically in the same position as Lupin III Part 5--and just look what's happening to THAT next!!!

They WILL treat MHA better--when we get to Season 4!

What do you mean by premium?  I don't get what you're saying here.

My thing is, is why are they going to the trouble to locking down MHA, after what they've just done with Season 3?  Anyone just following MHA on Toonami has had to put up with a lot of schedule changes, most of them pretty tolerable, though, but going from decent time slot to ass end of the block is quite a lot to deal with, to expect people to keep following it.  So, it goes from decent time slots, to death-slot, back to decent time slot?  They want as many viewers as possible to follow on Toonami and not go elsewhere, right?  But they pull a stunt like that?  Yeah, lots of people are still watching it at that time, as MHA continues to outperform the shows coming on before it, and yeah they can watch on DVR or cable on-demand, but I'm sure a sizable chunk of them went elsewhere, and probably won't come back.  They really expect viewers to be loyal through all that, or, if they left, to come back when they get season 4?  This strategy is idiotic, to say the least.

• Sad 1

I'd argue that you're right about Food Wars, since it's gonna last pretty much forever. But I believe it was actually supposed to be the replacement for HxH directly in its timeslot, but Sentai relented. That's where the Gundam moving 3 AM to 1 AM rumor probably originated.

Dr. Stone has potential. I'd say it's likely to move up to 11:30 once gen:LOCK ends! 

Demarco himself actually stated that Gundam Origin was moving to 1, and also that Toonami was contracting, remember?  Neither of those happened, and they had to have been going after Fire Force at the time, so I have no idea what Demarco was thinking with those Twitter posts.  It still remains to be seen if Food Wars was part of a package deal with Sentai or not.  We're all assuming that because it's outright madness to get Food Wars otherwise.  If not, Demarco is even more cracked than I thought.

• D'oh 1

51 minutes ago, korosu said:

that doesn't mean anything. it's just not updated with what we're already aware of. it has the rest of the regular lineup, so there's no marathon.

Then why does it still have Lupin III listed at 11:30? It simply hasn't been updated yet with the real schedule. For that matter, neither has August 24th:

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings/stations/cartoon-network-usa-eastern-feed/661/2019-08-24

So yeah, we DEFINITELY can't go by that. Dr. Stone was announced last Friday for this this coming week's block; therefore I'd say the current standard operating procedure is that Friday is the latest we find out what's going to be on the block for the Saturday 8 days later.

But the marathon on August 31st theory DOES have something big going against it: a new show premiering this weekend. They're usually wary about premiering a new show only to take it off the air the following week, even if JUST for a week. In the history of Toonami on [as], I think it's only happened once. In the recent past, Gundam IBO Season 2's ill-fated 3 AM rerun is the only thing that qualifies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Then why does it still have Lupin III listed at 11:30? It simply hasn't been updated yet with the real schedule. For that matter, neither has August 24th:

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings/stations/cartoon-network-usa-eastern-feed/661/2019-08-24

So yeah, we DEFINITELY can't go by that. Dr. Stone was announced last Friday for this this coming week's block; therefore I'd say the current standard operating procedure is that Friday is the latest we find out what's going to be on the block for the Saturday 8 days later.

But the marathon on August 31st theory DOES have something big going against it: a new show premiering this weekend. They're usually wary about premiering a new show only to take it off the air the following week, even if JUST for a week. In the history of Toonami on [as], I think it's only happened once. In the recent past, Gundam IBO Season 2's ill-fated 3 AM rerun is the only thing that qualifies.

The difference here is they have episode titles for the shows which come from the network. 

Whenever they and the cable guides fix this weeks- next weeks should also be updated. This is why this idiocy of only having a week out on the official schedule needs to stop 

Having a marathon will really mess with things when you have near simuldubs like this. At this point it makes more sense to take a little hit (but still probably beat everyone else that matters) than to cause damage that’ll last months 

Edited by brianycpht

22 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Whenever they and the cable guides fix this weeks- next weeks should also be updated. This is why this idiocy of only having a week out on the official schedule needs to stop 

anyone who's ever looked at tvguide.com or their own cable guide is aware that they take a long time to update toonami slots after announcements.

2 minutes ago, korosu said:

anyone who's ever looked at tvguide.com or their own cable guide is aware that they take a long time to update toonami slots after announcements.

Exactly, that’s why them having only a week out is stupid. We should know this by now and third party schedules take forever to update 

They do this because if you notice, they’ll change the weeknight lineup on a dime if they aren’t liking what they see s

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, brianycpht said:

Exactly, that’s why them having only a week out is stupid. We should know this by now and third party schedules take forever to update 

tvpassport having most of the lineup is all the evidence needed that there's no marathon. they're not gonna make a facebook post saying there isn't one; there's evidence there isn't. this conversation shouldn't be happening.

to your point, the schedule should go out as far as they have it, which we know is most of the month at a time. we shouldn't have to speculate or bother them about it.

3 minutes ago, korosu said:

tvpassport having most of the lineup is all the evidence needed that there's no marathon. they're not gonna make a facebook post saying there isn't one; there's evidence there isn't. this conversation shouldn't be happening.

to your point, the schedule should go out as far as they have it, which we know is most of the month at a time. we shouldn't have to speculate or bother them about it.

Yeah, I’m going with that as well. The only reason we are a week out with announcements is because of deals closing last minute. If they were having a marathon, that would’ve been announced by now 

1 minute ago, brianycpht said:

Yeah, I’m going with that as well. The only reason we are a week out with announcements is because of deals closing last minute. If they were having a marathon, that would’ve been announced by now 

they've skipped the thanksgiving marathon before so really we could be looking at only 2 marathons at the end of the year this year. squidbillies is taking the week off from premieres for labor day which is why this is even a question really.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, korosu said:

they've skipped the thanksgiving marathon before so really we could be looking at only 2 marathons at the end of the year this year. squidbillies is taking the week off from premieres for labor day which is why this is even a question really.

Yeah I think they stand to lose more from a show like Squidbillies that they invest a lot in. Whereas if it was a newer show like the Jellies, Lazur Wolf, or Joe Pera, they’ll run it on s holiday weekend. One clue is that certain shows they’ll stream for free the Friday before and some they won’t. The biggest shows (Tyson, Robot Chicken, Rick and Morty) will not stream ahead and will usually take off holiday weekends. Plus the comedy crowd is more casual about their watching. Also, they have a set date for Robot Chicken and they need to make that line up.

In the case of Toonami, the viewership is more steady and people are less likely to skip out because “holidays”. Plus we’ve whittled down viewership to such a low degree that the risk is less. Hiatuses will now more or less be used to position things where they need to be 

Edited by brianycpht

giphy.gif

It is shonen, but I like having more new stuff on the block that's objectively good. Now if only we hadn't exhausted all of its praises and were forced to talk about schedule optics to pad out the thread. 😗

(FWIW, my Xfinity cable guide shows a 8/31 schedule without Dr. Stone and lacking episode titles, so I don't know for sure)

• Like 1

I wouldn't go by that; my on-screen guide is still just as fucked up--for 8/24, THIS Saturday. The Dragon Ball Power Hour is right, but no shows during Toonami have episode numbers or titles, and Dr. Stone would be labeled as "Fire Force," Fire Force as "Lupin III Part 5", Lupin III labeled as "My Hero Academia", and MHA labeled as "Gemusetto Machu Picchu!" I sure hope they fix this!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I wouldn't go by that; my on-screen guide is still just as fucked up--for 8/24, THIS Saturday. The Dragon Ball Power Hour is right, but no shows during Toonami have episode numbers or titles, and Dr. Stone would be labeled as "Fire Force," Fire Force as "Lupin III Part 5", Lupin III labeled as "My Hero Academia", and MHA labeled as "Gemusetto Machu Picchu!" I sure hope they fix this!! 

I know, this is beyond dumb. They should've just put the schedule out last week with a TBD at midnight. It's not a bad thing to say a new show is coming at that timeslot- at least then you don't risk the whole nights DVR recordings being screwed up.

I don't think a marathon is happening- they would've said something by now since that's not really a big "secret" like a new show is. If they spring that on us a week out- it's really going to piss people off (not that they care )