UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

This week is going to be the first time in a long time I'm genuinely interested in the ratings... albeit for the wrong reason. Do we think Toriyama's death helped boost turnout at least for Kai?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Blatch said:

This week is going to be the first time in a long time I'm genuinely interested in the ratings... albeit for the wrong reason. Do we think Toriyama's death helped boost turnout at least for Kai?

It’s 2024 and there are still a ton of people who don’t even know Toonami came back. I think at best, the start of the block will be up a bit from lapsed viewers tuning in to see if TOM had anything to say on the matter, but other than that don’t expect any huge spikes. 

Plus, even among viewers, Kai coming back wasn’t even advertised outside of a single Facebook post, so there are probably a lot of people out there who thought Toonami might do something, if they still had DBZ, not knowing that it’s back. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yep that’s what I expected, we had some non regulars blow in at midnight to see if TOM had anything to say. Hopefully they come back this week when TOM probably does have something to say. 

About what I expected to happen with Naruto as well. Bunch of people showed out last week for the finale and now that audience is just done. Episode was also hella boring so that probably didn’t help either. 

Over on Max, Ninja Kamui is still #5 in the top 10, with only real heavy hitters like John Oliver and Curb Your Enthusiasm ahead of it.  This week also has Quiet on the Set ahead of it, which is four hours of Warner tearing down Nickelodeon and their culture of abuse.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Toonami premieres held their own against College Basketball conference tournaments:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/03/tv-ratings-for-saturday-16th-march-2024.html?m=1

Now that there has been a send off from TOM, it will be interesting to see if this little boost sticks or if that crowd dissipates. 

I also wonder if the Ninja Kamui sub was able to sneak onto the rerun chart this week since it was 90 minutes earlier than normal. 

11 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Now that there has been a send off from TOM, it will be interesting to see if this little boost sticks or if that crowd dissipates. 

I also wonder if the Ninja Kamui sub was able to sneak onto the rerun chart this week since it was 90 minutes earlier than normal. 

It wasn't really a "boost"--in fact all the premieres except Demon Slayer went down...

9 hours ago, Jman said:

I think that settles Kamui is getting the bulk of its views from Max.

I suppose we can take solace in the thought that if it wasn’t on Max it still wouldn’t be doing any better on Toonami… probably 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I suppose we can take solace in the thought that if it wasn’t on Max it still wouldn’t be doing any better on Toonami… probably 

It’s doing surprisingly well on Max.  Honestly, it’s the sort of performance that would make someone want to invest more in anime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

It’s doing surprisingly well on Max.  Honestly, it’s the sort of performance that would make someone want to invest more in anime.

I think so too but I also remember that topping the HBO Max chart’s didn’t save Infinity Train

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

For having to play with March Madness, the block did pretty solid this month, especially compared with February where it was starting out in the 160k territory. When is the last time we saw something crack 200k?

February 10th and 17th, Ninja Kamui was over 200K.

• Like 1

Before you complain about Toonami's ratings, look at how the Metalocalypse movie did:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/04/tv-ratings-for-friday-5th-april-2024.html?m=1

122K and 0.06 in 18-49? Pretty brutal!

If you ask me, [as] should try a simulcast of some sort across TBS/TNT after Final Four Post-Game Inside College Basketball goes off the air next year. If Toonami gets to air War of Rohirrim, it would be where and how to air it. It would do just GANGBUSTERS numbers!

But even without that, Ninja Kamui still did VERY respectable:

Last but not least, well would ya look at that!?

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

DragonBall Z Kai checked in at #175 with 169K viewers and a 0.094 in 18-49! Only time will tell if this is a fluke or if DBZ Kai still has some staying power!

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Before you complain about Toonami's ratings, look at how the Metalocalypse movie did:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/04/tv-ratings-for-friday-5th-april-2024.html?m=1

122K and 0.06 in 18-49? Pretty brutal!

If you ask me, [as] should try a simulcast of some sort across TBS/TNT after Final Four Post-Game Inside College Basketball goes off the air next year. If Toonami gets to air War of Rohirrim, it would be where and how to air it. It would do just GANGBUSTERS numbers!

But even without that, Ninja Kamui still did VERY respectable:

Last but not least, well would ya look at that!?

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

DragonBall Z Kai checked in at #175 with 169K viewers and a 0.094 in 18-49! Only time will tell if this is a fluke or if DBZ Kai still has some staying power!

I think anyone who wanted to watch Doomstar did so already. So that average over 2 hours doesn’t really surprise me. Unlike regular Metal episode, I don’t think the film has much rewatchability. 

As far as the block goes, there’s nothing much to complain about. Ninja Kamui is holding strong and everything else is following its lead. Especially Naruto this week for some reason, were people jacked to see the last filler episode ever? 

Lets just hope Demarco has something good to replace Lycoris so this momentum keeps up.

• Like 1

UFC 300 is tonight, and that’s relevant because of this - 

Toonami has been pretty resilient against big events lately, because the audience is so small and dedicated that big events don’t register with them anyway.

Still rooting for Holloway.

• Like 1

I guess folks aren't really hyped for ZOM 100 and given it's available on Netflix, Hulu and Crunchyroll it's pretty easy to find where you can watch the rest of the season. The upcoming 2-3 week break isn't going to help matters either. It's a great show regardless but great shows that are widely available just don't tend to do Toonami any favors.

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

I guess folks aren't really hyped for ZOM 100 and given it's available on Netflix, Hulu and Crunchyroll it's pretty easy to find where you can watch the rest of the season. The upcoming 2-3 week break isn't going to help matters either. It's a great show regardless but great shows that are widely available just don't tend to do Toonami any favors.

I’m sure its reputation isn’t helping it either. People really soured on it towards the end. Which is a huge shift since the first episode had a lot of people ready to call it AOTY. 

It’s disappointing to see though because this really doesn’t help the argument of wanting less shonen and more seinen picks. 

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

The sad reality now is that Toonami can’t really get these shows until they are widely available. Between cost and CR wanting exclusive rights, it’s just an uphill battle 

4 hours ago, brianycpht said:

The sad reality now is that Toonami can’t really get these shows until they are widely available. Between cost and CR wanting exclusive rights, it’s just an uphill battle 

Just about anything Sentai licenses these days falls under the radar to most baring the rare Oshi No Ko, so if CR just won’t play then they really ought to keep their eyes on whatever Sentai dubs. They probably won’t though.

Just now, Sketch said:

Just about anything Sentai licenses these days falls under the radar to most baring the rare Oshi No Ko, so if CR just won’t play then they really ought to keep their eyes on whatever Sentai dubs. They probably won’t though.

I agree. Those CR shows are going to be farmed out to other streamers (who will pay what Toonami can’t) and have plenty of exposure. Go after what’s available. 

Hopefully by now they’ve learned to stop chasing CR stuff. Aniplex seems to be another story 

13 minutes ago, Sketch said:

The problem is if it falls under the radar, that means Demarco misses it too since he doesn’t know shit about anime unless it’s old, shonen, or some meme series with an iconic director. Under better leadership, Toonami would have been strip mining the Sentai catalog way back in 2020. But instead we have someone who is way past their prime and can’t keep his eyes off unobtainable prizes. 

Id say the only reason we even got Zom 100 is because it was the anime whore of 2023 where it was available on every notable platform, and whoever made that call probably wanted it on Toonami too. 

16 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

The problem is if it falls under the radar, that means Demarco misses it too since he doesn’t know shit about anime unless it’s old, shonen, or some meme series with an iconic director. Under better leadership, Toonami would have been strip mining the Sentai catalog way back in 2020. But instead we have someone who is way past their prime and can’t keep his eyes off unobtainable prizes. 

Id say the only reason we even got Zom 100 is because it was the anime whore of 2023 where it was available on every notable platform, and whoever made that call probably wanted it on Toonami too. 

I do think we should be way beyond the “Lol Sony won’t let us have the big shows so here’s reruns or double One Piece” approach. It’s been a thing since 2021 that they haven’t made anything available to them that wasn’t already an established franchise on the block. 

I have to assume they are smart enough to realize by now that CR shows are a dead end. Can they not look at the Sentai catalog and find something? Hell, they are even a company that would love to help them pick something. Hopefully the dialogue between them is more than “hey let us know when you have a new season of Lupin we can air!”

The main issue with Sentai is that they don’t dub everything, and a lot of their dubbed material is older and/or doesn’t fit the action paradigm.  Two of the bigger hits for Sentai last year were Oshi no Ko (which was such a big hit it made the New York Times best of 2023 recommendations) and Ya Boi Komining, a drama about the idol industry and a fish out of water comedy respectively.  And that doesn’t count the stuff that even if it was dubbed, would never get past Standards and Practices, something Netflix and Crunchyroll pointedly do not have to worry about.

So as nice as it would be for Sentai to dub some of these shows and send them over, it seems impractical at best.

4 hours ago, Jman said:

The main issue with Sentai is that they don’t dub everything, and a lot of their dubbed material is older and/or doesn’t fit the action paradigm.  Two of the bigger hits for Sentai last year were Oshi no Ko (which was such a big hit it made the New York Times best of 2023 recommendations) and Ya Boi Komining, a drama about the idol industry and a fish out of water comedy respectively.  And that doesn’t count the stuff that even if it was dubbed, would never get past Standards and Practices, something Netflix and Crunchyroll pointedly do not have to worry about.

So as nice as it would be for Sentai to dub some of these shows and send them over, it seems impractical at best.

I don’t expect Sentai to fill in the crucial lead hour, but they have more than enough viable content in their catalog that could cover the 1am hour. It doesn’t need to be hot off the press new, it just has to be good and engaging. Lycoris was yesterday’s news and people still enjoyed watching it. Sentai has plenty of action titles to work with. They might not be first pick shows, but when the single alternative is double One Piece, I think people will be a little more receptive to a middle of the road Sentai pick. 

1. So are there uncensored female nipples in Chained Soldier or aren't they, because whether or not they are is the deciding point between "unairable" and "TV-MAS every episode".

2. The fact that this week's Zom 100 was easily the cringiest yet really didn't help its numbers, at least that's my perspective.

Just now, PokeNirvash said:

1. So are there uncensored female nipples in Chained Soldier or aren't they, because whether or not they are is the deciding point between "unairable" and "TV-MAS every episode".

2. The fact that this week's Zom 100 was easily the cringiest yet really didn't help its numbers, at least that's my perspective.

Yes, there are uncensored female nipples.  Some naked female asses too.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

That David Gilmour album was 9 years ago already wtf

Hide contents

Idk just randomly remembered Toonami aired that Gilmour music video and had nowhere to post it

That's probably only because it aired during the Michiko and Hatchin marathon. I never got to see it air on TV because I was leaving a friend's house at the time! 🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

That David Gilmour album was 9 years ago already wtf

Hide contents

Idk just randomly remembered Toonami aired that Gilmour music video and had nowhere to post it

He's got another one coming out later this year. Maybe it'll have another video and Toonami will be a repeat customer?

• Thanks 1