UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

12 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Once again, a gaping hole is poked in the “holidays are bad for ratings” argument. 

Are Demon Slayer and Dr Stone just not a good match? I guess tone wise they are pretty far apart from each other, but even still that’s a pretty sizable drop from 12 to 12:30. 

Thanksgiving holiday is different from Christmas holidays and Labor Day. You could argue that Memorial Day and Labor Day are special too, and this year they were marathons too. But Thursday and Friday are the big attractions of TG weekend, and by the time Saturday rolls around, it's pretty much a normal Saturday. Yes, I know we got an MHA Villains marathon in 2022, (Missed opportunity for a "New Year's Evil?") but it seems normal Toonami did alright.

RELEVANT AVERAGES:

FLCL: Grunge - 199,333

FLCL: Shoegaze - 216,000

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - 211,750 thru 4 episodes.

Hopefully that will pick up as the movie redux enters its final arc this month!

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Thanksgiving holiday is different from Christmas holidays and Labor Day. You could argue that Memorial Day and Labor Day are special too, and this year they were marathons too. But Thursday and Friday are the big attractions of TG weekend, and by the time Saturday rolls around, it's pretty much a normal Saturday. Yes, I know we got an MHA Villains marathon in 2022, (Missed opportunity for a "New Year's Evil?") but it seems normal Toonami did alright.

RELEVANT AVERAGES:

FLCL: Grunge - 199,333

FLCL: Shoegaze - 216,000

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - 211,750 thru 4 episodes.

Hopefully that will pick up as the movie redux enters its final arc this month!

I will concede Christmas and New Years because those are very travel heavy, and often night centric holidays. Labor Day and Memorial Day are not. People go out and have their fun during the day and come midnight are home and ready for Toonami. 

The only other holiday that warrants a marathon is the 4th of July when the 4th falls on Fri/Sat/Sun. 

• Like 1

It’s pretty evident by now they do marathons mainly to stall and they will use them on non-holiday weekends when necessary. They just shoot for taking off 5-7 weeks a year and mostly take off holidays because that generally makes the most sense for casual viewership.

• Thanks 1

Good news everyone: Toonami kicked some serious ass last week!

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/12/tv-ratings-for-saturday-2nd-december.html?m=1

261K and a 0.12 in 18-49 with a #14 ranking for Episode 5 of Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Arc is pretty damn good for this day and age!! And Dr. Stone and the first One Piece did over 200K too! In fact, all the Toonami cable originals made the Top 30, as Shippuden checked in at #27.

Only 2 more normal Toonami blocks left this year, so hopefully it carries some momentum into the holiday season and beyond to 2024!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sketch said:

Started low but at least the drop off between shows was minimal in 18-49 and Dr. Stone onwards were very close in totals.

Though ya gotta wonder why this particular week was so much worse for DS than prior weeks.

Might have something to do with the train derailing last week?

At least we can count on the 7th episode recapping the major story beats of the 6th this weekend, and hope it does well!

• Like 1

Hang on to your hats, guys, because these numbers are absolutely BONKERS!!

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/12/tv-ratings-for-saturday-16th-december.html?m=1

I can believe Demon Slayer got 357K and a 0.11 in 18-49, but no WAY that Dr. Stone number is real!!

image.png.5889b3c6eba6a7694228e0094e17f379.png

927K!? THAT'S UNREAL!!

Oddly enough, the much better 2nd episode apparently dwindled to 516K before One Piece rebounded to 676K!? Even stranger is the 18-49s were fairly normal: 0.08; 0.07; and 0.07, respectively. And to boot Shippuden was only 134K and a 0.05 at 2 AM despite returning to the main storyline.

I think I see what happened--they accidentally posted Sunday's numbers with Saturday's shows. So we'll have to wait a while until they realize the mistake and post Saturday's ACTUAL numbers...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year!!

It's been awhile, but we FINALLY have numbers for the first Toonami of 2024:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/01/tv-ratings-for-saturday-6th-january-2024.html?m=1

The dub premiere of AOT, a true rarity on Toonami these days, managed only 167K and 0.08 in 18-49, checking in at #35 on Saturday, January 6th. And Shippuden didn't even crack the Top 50.

Hopefully Demon Slayer does better.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after MLK Day and the Deep Freeze, numbers for the 2nd Toonami block of 2023 are in, and Demon Slayer indeed DID do better, as the hour-long special checked in at lucky #13 with a 0.12 in 18-49 and 215K overall, but how about the rest of the block?

https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/01/tv-ratings-for-saturday-13th-january.html?m=1#google_vignette

Dr. Stone dropped like a rock all the way to #37 and 0.08 in 18-49 with 150K viewers, but One Piece kept pace at #39 diminishing to 0.07/133K. Naruto Shippuden also found the Top 50 at #47 and 0.06/117K.

The big question is, did the more "normal" block this week outdo the 2-hour AOT special last week? If you'll recall, that only managed 0.08/167K. The answer is "yes, but only slightly" as the 12-2 AM time frame scored an average of 0.0975 in 18-49 and 178,250 total viewers.

Hopefully Toonami will keep the momentum going next week as Lycoris Recoil joins the fray and we see our first Toonami made up of 6 different shows since last August!

Let the good times roll indeed!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Lycoris? U can lick THIS!

https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/01/tv-ratings-for-saturday-20th-january.html?m=1

Hoo boy, where to begin?

I mean, can we really blame Lycoris when Demon Slayer started the night with a near record low? That’s where all the issues lie. 

Id assume a big issue for Demon Slayer is the promo they ran for the ENTIRE week was for the wrong damn episode. Some people might of panicked and bailed thinking Toonami was airing the wrong episode. And we certainly can’t write off that the episode itself is kind of a snooze set up episode. Next weeks is actually being advertised properly and looks to have a little more meat to it so hopefully things turn around. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Viewership didn't experience any huge drop-offs despite being so low, and even then it didn't go into five-digit territory. I'm personally satisfied, even though I don't really care for the worry these updates often bring.

This is the most important point for Lycoris. It held onto Dr Stone pretty tight, and only dropped 0.01 from the lead. The overall performance of the block was subpar, but Lycoris worked with what was available. 

It’s also not unusual in recent years to see January and February kinda suck and then things course correct somewhat in the spring. And the good news is, if Demon Slayer keeps sucking, it’s only gonna be the lead for two more weeks anyway before we swap over to Ninja Kamui. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2024 at 4:49 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

I think there's a decent chance it gets shouted-out with a promo on NBA on TNT...

They had better.

But beyond Adult Swim's own promotion and a few articles on anime centric websites there's hardly any hype for Ninja Kamui whether that's fair or not.

Regarding Adult Swim's own promotion and lack there  of... WBD is such a poorly run company that we first heard when Ninja Kamui would air via an Adult Swim Latin America press release. While it was arguably adequate to promote this new anime starting on February 10th on their social media on January 17th (24 days in advance) they just promoted Royal Crackers season 2 (34 days in advance). And one could argue it's more important to promote something entirely new than a returning show.

I suppose Japanese co-productions might have some hang-ups with getting air dates secured and announced sooner but they could strive to do better than that. Compare that to the rest of the anime industry where dates are set much sooner and promoted much sooner. Netflix still lacks in that regard but they're getting better at giving adequate notice for when shows are dropping on the service.

Credit where it's due though, Toonami is considerably better about pre-notice than Crunchyroll tends to be about when their English dubs will start streaming. Often giving only a few days notice and sometimes not even promoting the drop date before they stream, only giving the vague mention that a show's dub premiere is TBD. And they seem to largely rely on actors to promote their own role announcements because unlike with Toonami broadcasts the dub credits aren't required to be attached to the streaming simuldubs. Crunchyroll pisses me off daily at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They had better.

But beyond Adult Swim's own promotion and a few articles on anime centric websites there's hardly any hype for Ninja Kamui whether that's fair or not.

Regarding Adult Swim's own promotion and lack there  of... WBD is such a poorly run company that we first heard when Ninja Kamui would air via an Adult Swim Latin America press release. While it was arguably adequate to promote this new anime starting on February 10th on their social media on January 17th (24 days in advance) they just promoted Royal Crackers season 2 (34 days in advance). And one could argue it's more important to promote something entirely new than a returning show.

I have seen a little bit of discussion about the show on other sites, but this is how it usually boils down.

”Ninja Kamui? Huh well it looks like it might be good”

”Says here Adult Swim/Jason Demarco is involved?”

”Oh yikes nevermind, guaranteed shit”

It’s genuinely amusing seeing how toxic Demarco’s association with a project is in the non Toonami anime community. This show could end up being decent, but a lot of people have already written it off because Demarco had his fingers in it. 

I agree their advertising sucks. Even if they waited to start running ads, I think they should have gotten it announced earlier. Give it some time to get some buzz spreading outside of AS circles. The entire point of originals was to lure in viewers who didn’t have a reason to watch the block before, and they have been terrible at showcasing these shows elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Let it be said that /co/ calling us a circlejerk while acting like they aren't is reason enough not to trust anything they say. Dumbasses thought "we aren't airing Panty & Stocking" meant that Demarco hated it for years before he set the record straight once and for all.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

Other websites than 4chan, ANN and Reset Era?

I actually did an archive check on /a/, which I’ll admit is not always 100% accurate, and the singular thread I found about Ninja Kamui specifically was from 2022. And it didn’t even getting any discussion, basically just “ok”. There are other sporadic posts in JJK related threads  discussing the show being part of the reason Sungwho Park was leaving, but no actual talk about the show itself. Basically no traction at all on 4chan. Even in the Toonami specific threads, its first real discussion happened last week. And surprisingly, a lot more positivity about it than expected. Will be interesting to see if /a/ bothers following it once it starts.

ANN is where all the normies go and reference, so if they think it’s doodoo then that won’t be good for the show. Same goes for MAL. 

You couldn’t pay me to go wade through Resetera, but knowing how they operate, negative opinions are not allowed so I doubt anyone there has said anything bad about the show. 

Reddit has mixed opinions, obviously the Toonami sub all love it and think it’s the best because they aren’t allowed to wrongthink, but the slightly less biased anime sub is mixed. Some are optimistic because of JJK, while others are concerned with western influences. 

If you get away from Toonami circles on twitter, optimism for the show is not high. 

I guess we will see what happens, but the effort required to find discussion about the show outside of Toonami circles really highlights their issues with advertising. That aside, seeing as an abortion like Grunge was able to do OK, I’m not too worried about this flopping. 

• Like 1

DeMarco has earned no benefit of the doubt on the originals front.  He burned all of his credibility on original productions on the endless deluge of FLCL sequels that no one wanted or needed.  It's something of a struggle to get people to care about an original property to begin with, now add in DeMarco's negative credibility and the first episode will need to knock some socks off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

You couldn’t pay me to go wade through Resetera, but knowing how they operate, negative opinions are not allowed so I doubt anyone there has said anything bad about the show. 

The ToonamiERA thread regulars are mostly negative towards Ninja Kamui, barring the optimists who post like they're irreverent trolls who act like they're above caring about anime. The track record for Toonami originals has been abysmal, with FLCL Alternative being the only show they'll give any grudging respect to, and it's insane that they keep wasting money on producing duds rather than getting airing rights for proven shows.

Edited by Greener223224
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jman said:

DeMarco has earned no benefit of the doubt on the originals front.  He burned all of his credibility on original productions on the endless deluge of FLCL sequels that no one wanted or needed.  It's something of a struggle to get people to care about an original property to begin with, now add in DeMarco's negative credibility and the first episode will need to knock some socks off.

Probably the most damaging thing were his interviews about Prog and Alt. Outright admitting he thought things in the original were a problem that needed changed in HIS version destroyed his credibility for any anime he would be involved with. 

5 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

But yes, that reputation stain is real and I doubt anything other than Uzumaki can really fix that (unless Kamui turns out to univerally acclaimed).

Uzumaki has been given impossible odds with all the delays. Even if it’s great, people will shrug and ask why such a short project  took so long. The short clip they showed didn’t make it seem like it’s going to have the animation quality that leaves a years long impact on viewers. 

• Like 1

DeMarco has pretty much only been able to achieve some good will from Shenmue fans with regard to doing something with existing IP. And without a single original concept that’s gotten positive buzz outside of Toonami fans, he’s probably considered one of the least liked anime co-pro producers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MCPissPants said:

Toonami will have its first non shit original the moment the Lions win the Super Bowl. In two weeks, two impossible things will happen, I guarantee it.

San Francisco is about to tie it up.  Yeah…

• Like 1

Detroit has completely collapsed and Ninja Kamui will likely suck ass.

21 hours ago, Sketch said:

DeMarco has pretty much only been able to achieve some good will from Shenmue fans with regard to doing something with existing IP. And without a single original concept that’s gotten positive buzz outside of Toonami fans, he’s probably considered one of the least liked anime co-pro producers.

It’s not like people are hating him blind here.  DeMarco has had one critical and commercial success, and that was because it was based on a game with a very dedicated audience.  And he couldn’t even take advantage of that because of all the legal fuckery that makes a sequel impossible.  It’s a small miracle Netflix didn’t make a Yakuza anime to rub salt in the wound.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jman said:

DeMarco has had one critical and commercial success, and that was because it was based on a game with a very dedicated audience.  And he couldn’t even take advantage of that because of all the legal fuckery that makes a sequel impossible.

It may be beating a dead horse at this point, but yeah... Zaslav.

• Like 1

Welp, we got some numbers:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

Rick & Morty got 258K overall and a 0.125 leading into last week's Toonami, and then...

https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/01/tv-ratings-for-saturday-27th-january.html?m=1

Unfortunately, not many hung on for Toonami but those that did mostly stuck around for all the shows, because at least 135K watched the entire block through Shippuden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Welp, we got some numbers:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

Rick & Morty got 258K overall and a 0.125 leading into last week's Toonami, and then...

https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/01/tv-ratings-for-saturday-27th-january.html?m=1

Unfortunately, not many hung on for Toonami but those that did mostly stuck around for all the shows, because at least 135K watched the entire block through Shippuden.

I wonder why Entertainment District isn’t hitting when Mugen Train did. It’s got one more chance to turn around but let’s hope Ninja Kamui hits a little better with the midnight crowd. 

More importantly, look at that huge spike in viewers Lycoris had. It was one slot away from being the highest rated show on Toonami this week. It’s been a very long time since we have seen a later show have a sizable spike over shows before it. Hopefully Demarco takes notice that the audience actually does like getting some niche shows now and then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if Lycoris will actually beat Demon Slayer at some point? I certainly didn't call it beating Dr. Stone in its SECOND week!

Maybe Dr. Stone should have been at 1 AM, but I guess that's a moot point as it's only got one episode left, then Demon Slayer replaces it as Ninja Kamui enters the chat!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I wonder why Entertainment District isn’t hitting when Mugen Train did. It’s got one more chance to turn around but let’s hope Ninja Kamui hits a little better with the midnight crowd. 

More importantly, look at that huge spike in viewers Lycoris had. It was one slot away from being the highest rated show on Toonami this week. It’s been a very long time since we have seen a later show have a sizable spike over shows before it. Hopefully Demarco takes notice that the audience actually does like getting some niche shows now and then. 

Because everyone who wanted to watch Demon Slayer probably has on Netflix.  Lycoris meanwhile isn’t available outside of Crunchyroll.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

But Mugen Train is also on Netflix and it did well last year...

Relatively.  Now that it was a going concern, people probably flipped over.  It can't really be undersold just how massive Demon Slayer was for Netflix given that globally its total seasons easily put it in the most watched programs on Netflix according to their own data.  I think this is a simple case of "we can watch this elsewhere."

• Like 1