UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Wait, KOREAN!? Is Demon Slayer actually Korean in origin, rather than Japanese!? It is a Madhouse show so I guess it uses more Korean staff than your average anime, but it's not correct to call such shows "Aeni"...is it?

It's a joke, ya dingus. Although I guess it'd be interesting to see a manwha adaption on Toonami.

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Actually, that appears to have been entirely on FUNimation and Sentai, respectively!

I'm seeing people use this as proof of the alleged anti-Toonami conspiracy on Funi's end. Although I know what the latter could gain by censoring some pretty innocuous fanservice, I (still) don't believe it. And let's face it: based on various things DeMarco has said in the past, he could be lying.

I was amused by the fact that someone took the time to portray DeMarco as an NPC.

As far as edits, I doubt it is his fault entirely, or even principally.

I would like to see some kind of audience engagement effort. Even if it was "what's your watch party look like" followed by shots of lonely weebs in rooms full of Gundam models and those plastic Nami dolls it is something that builds connection to the audience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

I was amused by the fact that someone took the time to portray DeMarco as an NPC.

I would like to see some kind of audience engagement effort. Even if it was "what's your watch party look like" followed by shots of lonely weebs in rooms full of Gundam models and those plastic Nami dolls it is something that builds connection to the audience.

You should have given this advice to Adult Swim circa 2005.  They’d be on it like gravy on poutine.

1 hour ago, Ginguy said:

That's a kind of old sketch. I remember seeing it in several other places for months.

I'm not annoyed by the edit itself. I'm annoyed that we have so many questions and DeMarco is just so DISTANT all of a sudden! He was active in getting to the bottom of both the SAO glitch and the DB Super low framerate, talking with the guys responsible for them, offering a fix, MAKING a fix, and reporting back to the fans!! Now he's all like "who are you!? I didn't do it! End of story! Here's a tweet about how much I appreciate all editors in all of filmmaking!"

7 hours ago, Blatch said:

It's a joke, ya dingus. Although I guess it'd be interesting to see a manwha adaption on Toonami.

I'm seeing people use this as proof of the alleged anti-Toonami conspiracy on Funi's end. Although I know what the latter could gain by censoring some pretty innocuous fanservice, I (still) don't believe it. And let's face it: based on various things DeMarco has said in the past, he could be lying.

FUNimation sent them an edited dub for the first episode of MHA. Entirely believable they would pull more nonsense like that.

• Like 2

More numbers:

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-aquaman-posts-most-watched-hbo-theatrical-movie-premiere-since-justice-league-in-july-2018/

8/10/19 - Adults 18-49
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 128,000  
DBS (R)  154,000 120.31%
  TOONAMI  
DBS (P) 429,000 108.06%
Gen:LOCK 264,000 61.54%
FireForce 253,000 95.83%
LupinPt5 216,000 85.38%
FoodWars! 208,000 96.30%
B. Clover 188,000 90.38%
Boruto 173,000 92.02%
Shippuden 158,000 91.33%
Gundam 171,000 108.23%
MHA 169,000 98.83%
AVERAGE 222,900 19 of 32

Granted, the number of 18-49 viewers we have for Family Guy is an estimate, so also is the retention factor of Dragon Ball Super, but still, there is like greater than a 50% chance that Gundam edged it out. Gen:LOCK by far is the worst retainer, but even it is not AS bad as it was last week, nor is it as bad as total viewers, which might indicate its target audience retention is growing. The whole night actually did better than almost half of the year so far, but still in the bottom half. And what's kind of sad is how bad the same shit-coms that play each and every stupid night on NAN are kicking everything on the lineup's ass but Dragon Ball Super, though this week did fail to beat gen:LOCK and sort of tied with Fire Force only in 18-49. Everything else on the lineup though? No contest, NAN wins once Lupin comes on, which is a shame since it has the best reviews of anything on the lineup.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Twitter is the internet equivalent of Cleveland's lake fire....

That aside, the cuts in fire force were not terrible. GenLOCK first episode felt disjointed, the second one did not, which might explain some of the increase. I think it might be a good show for what it is, but they had better have something better lined up. Who knew aggressive meat management would pay off when the target audience is a bunch of dateless weebs....

I'm kind of surprised that Shippuden didn't do better, it is the war after all, and it is pretty good honestly.

8 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

Twitter is the internet equivalent of Cleveland's lake fire....

In my opinion, it's more of a cleaner, less on-fire Ohio lake. Probably because I tune out the political bullshit that pervades the Tweetsphere and only follow anitubers and fetish artists who are smart enough to shut up about politics.

• Like 1

There's nothing more annoying than trying to watch and tweet about Toonami and a whole bunch of political BS comes up. I usually try to filter it out by using whichever show is airing's hashtag, but not always.

And Facebook and Toonami just plain don't mix (though ironically Toonami DOES have a great Facebook page!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

There's nothing more annoying than trying to watch and tweet about Toonami and a whole bunch of political BS comes up. I usually try to filter it out by using whichever show is airing's hashtag, but not always.

And Facebook and Toonami just plain don't mix (though ironically Toonami DOES have a great Facebook page!)

It helps that Jasongill plug the FB group on every Pre-Flight episode and on Twitter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

You need to cool it with your Trump support.....I know you love the guy but take a break once in a while!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Daos said:

You need to cool it with your Trump support.....I know you love the guy but take a break once in a while!

Say what? You think I actually approve of Trump? You haven't been following me much if you think that. Nothing could be further from the truth! I actually spend almost as many hours weekly watching MSNBC as watching Toonami, and I'm even thinking about voting for Bill Weld in the Republican primary, just to do my part as directly as possible to stop Trump from getting a second term! But I digress.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-wednesday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-14-2019.html

Boy howdy, those Bojack Horseman ratings are terrible! I actually believe that if Netflix takes a chance on letting one of its originals air on Toonami, it might even be the highest-rated Netflix original to ever air in syndication on basic cable! Even the 200K-300K Toonami shows that aren't Dragon Ball Super get these days can beat THAT!

Edited by OwlChemist81

I rename the thread a backronym of "T.U.R.D.," and THIS is what happens: Toonami actually shrugs off a UFC PPV night and does WELL:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-17-2019.html

Final-Cable-2019-Aug-17-SAT.png

ALL 7 eligible shows made the Top 50! Been a while since we've seen THAT happen! And I guess starting this Saturday, we'll have 8 eligible shows? Can they still manage to make the list on "Week Zero" of College Football?? I guess we'll find out!

But back to this week, those are the highest 18-34 and 18-49 numbers we've seen for the first half since May. Perhaps Toonami is finally getting its mojo back?

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 1

Wow. Every show did at least average in share, or better. That's impressive for Toonami.

Guess we'll have to wait a week to rag on DeMarco, we can't kick his junk over this performance.

Dr. Stone might help the block as a whole, it is well done and a big show.

• Like 2

Full numbers out early today. Dragon Ball Super beat Family Guy by a wide margin in every known category except P55+!!

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-nascar-bristol-night-race-on-nbcsn-rises-from-last-years-record-low/

The first 3 shows on Toonami actually beat Friends on Nick At Nite in 18-49 to boot!

8/17/2019 - Total Viewers
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 318,000  
DBS (R)  266,000 83.65%
  TOONAMI  
DBS (P) 771,000 118.43%
Gen:LOCK 453,000 58.75%
FireForce 410,000 90.51%
LupinPt5 333,000 81.22%
FoodWars! 350,000 105.11%
B. Clover 324,000 92.57%
Boruto 280,000 86.42%
Shippuden 272,000 97.14%
Gundam 286,000 105.15%
MHA 318,000 111.19%
AVERAGE 379,700 18 of 33 😅

8/17/19 - Adults 18-49
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 128,000  
DBS (R)  141,000 110.16%
  TOONAMI  
DBS (P) 480,000 120.91%
Gen:LOCK 324,000 67.50%
FireForce 293,000 90.43%
LupinPt5 243,000 82.94%
FoodWars! 252,000 103.70%
B. Clover 241,000 95.63%
Boruto 198,000 82.16%
Shippuden 180,000 90.91%
Gundam 180,000 100.00%
MHA 192,000 106.67%
AVERAGE 258,300 9 of 33 😎

[italics denotes estimate]

It looks like the gap between Super and gen:LOCK is closing, and with Dr. Stone coming next week with its blinding (and damaging) green light, Toonami's future is so bright, it's gotta wear shades!

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THE ORIGIN III Dawn of Rebellion ...

Here are the years of the shows' animation on Toonami, going forward:

11 PM Dragon Ball Super - 2018 (7 episodes left!)
11:30 gen:LOCK - 2019 (5 episodes left!)
12 AM Dr. Stone - 2019
12:30 Fire Force - 2019
1 AM Food Wars - 2015
1:30 Black Clover - 2019
2 AM Boruto - 2018
2:30 Shippuden - 2012
3 AM Gundam: The Origin - 2016, but 2017 the following week (6 episodes left!)
3:30 Lupin III Part 5 - 2018
4 AM My Hero Academia - 2018 (rerun)

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

The first few weeks after Labor Day have usually seen a subtle rise or drop, but there's no consensus towards either. The only exception was in 2015 when the numbers sharply went down, and that had more to do with the historic highs Toonami hit in August. Besides, any ratings decrease is more due to college football. The average student has no reason not to stay up for Toonami, unless they have Sunday classes for some reason.

[not me]

• Like 1

Could a Netflix original go into syndication on Toonami and beat Bojack Horseman (so far the only Netflix original, animated or live-action, to be picked up for syndication by a cable network)?

With this 3rd season, there's no question (plus it airs at 12:30 AM-ish, maybe a few minutes later, for an hour), but what about when it first started with Season 1 almost a year ago in September 2018? Are these numbers beatable?

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-wednesday-cable-originals-network-finals-9-26-2018.html

• P18-49: 0.22
  • F18-49: 0.12
  • M18-49: 0.32
  • P18-34: 0.26
  • F12-34: 0.12
  • M12-34: 0.36
  • P25-54: 0.22
  • P50+: 0.10
  • Total Viewers: 413K

Granted, that was at 10:30 PM, in a timeslot that Toonami doesn't currently have (and of course on a Wednesday as opposed to a Saturday), but those numbers are either worse or only slightly better (except Male 12-34, which was actually quite a bit better) than what gen:LOCK and Fire Force did last week! The similarity cannot be ignored, since both of those shows are also available in their broadcast forms on different streaming services, and with some scenes edited for time and content on TV. Netflix is the last frontier for Toonami, and it would be great for something like Carole & Tuesday or Cannon Busters to get the Bojack Horseman treatment, courtesy of the Better Cartoon Show!

Edited by OwlChemist81

On 8/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, Blatch said:

The first few weeks after Labor Day have usually seen a subtle rise or drop, but there's no consensus towards either. The only exception was in 2015 when the numbers sharply went down, and that had more to do with the historic highs Toonami hit in August. Besides, any ratings decrease is more due to college football. The average student has no reason not to stay up for Toonami, unless they have Sunday classes for some reason.

[not me]

Or they have a job on sunday not everyone can be a neet 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, helpme said:

Or they have a job on sunday not everyone can be a neet 🤣

Yeah, not everyone who isn't a NEET works on Sunday, or at least, they SHOULDN'T. If you can't get it done during the week, there's always Saturday. Unless you're in retail or service industries--then yep, you're at their mercy on a Sunday. Or maybe something in construction or observational science. But if you've got an office job and you're working on Sunday, you're doing it wrong.

But I digress...DirecTV finally updated their on-screen guide, and here's what we can look forward to this Saturday night:

• Dragon Ball Super - A Commanding Presence! Advent of Top the Destroyer!
  • Gen Lock - S1 E4 | Training Daze
  • Dr. Stone - S1 E1 | Stone World
  • Fire Force - S1 E5 | The Battle Begins
  • Food Wars! - S1 E8 | A Concerto of Concept and Creation
  • Black Clover - S2 E33 | The Victors
  • Boruto: Naruto Next Generations - S1 E45 | Memories From the Day of Snow
  • Naruto: Shippuden - S12 E22 | Secrets of the Reanimation Jutsu
  • Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin: Advent of the Red Comet - S1 E8 | The Principality of Zeon Declares Its Independence
  • Lupin the 3rd Part 5 - S8 E11 | Get Pablo's Collection
  • My Hero Academia - S3 E16 | Shiketsu High Lurking

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Unless you're in retail or service industries

Restaurant bars 2am

Walmart  CVS meijers  kroger 24 hours except Christmas 

Retail is a headache  but depending on the area and store the income can be better than staying up late 

8 hours ago, Daos said:

They said it couldn't be done.

Another poorly done 3D fighter?  Why?

MHA did the same thing and it SUCKED.  Why couldn’t they do something like Marvel Ultimate Alliance for that, just with less obnoxious leveling?

7 hours ago, elfie said:

If a bar ran Toonami every week for all the years it was open, I wouldn't EVER be caught dead in my apartment!!

Dr. Stone this weekend?? My lord it seems this week just flew by!

giphy.gif

At my job we aired the game of thrones final season every Sunday  god we made a shit ton of money

• Like 2

It's Tuesday, so getting back to the ratings, we have the beginning of the same pattern we'll probably see for the next 5 months in which ESPN and College Football soundly kicks Toonami's asses because people just leave their TVs on ESPN after the games are over:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-24-2019.html#comment-208806

Final-Cable-2019-Aug-24-SAT.png

The good news, is of course, that all 8 eligible shows made the Top 50. Dragon Ball Super was the highest non-ESPN non-Live PD cable original show, and Fire Force semi-predictably launched 12:30 to the highest total viewers number it's seen since June 8th. However, the rest of the block was down slightly, pretty much just business as usual. One notable success was with Gundam: The Origin, as it posts its highest known 18-34 number yet of 0.15 (estimated with a 78% confidence level over 100K), and Lupin did the same, although of course way down from last week as a result of airing 3 hours later. In 18-49, Gundam proved that it can stand toe-to-toe with at least one earlier show once again (Food Wars).

It will be interesting to see what the plan is for 11 PM going forward. My guess is, since gen:LOCK is half-over, and only has 4 episodes left, but Dragon Ball Super has 6, they'll probably run the last 2 episodes of Super back-to-back at 11 PM on 9/28, but then Toonami may either lose the 11 PM timeslot or at least just 11 PM for a while, but we DO have Demon Slayer and maybe MHA S4 coming in sometime this fall.  Another X-Factor is One Punch Man Season 2--will Toonami get its dub premiere? Perhaps it would be better for Demon Slayer to premiere at 11 PM, and Dragon Ball Super reruns to move down to 12:30, while Dr. Stone and Fire Force get a 30-minute boost? It's curious what they'll do with DBS after it runs out of premieres. I guess I could see the 4 AM hour becoming the Dragon Ball Hour once it ends. But since mixing up too many shows on the lineup too often has proven time and time again to be a bad idea, maybe THIS is what they'll do instead for the rest of 2019:

• Current lineup through 9/20, when gen:LOCK Season 1 ends
  • 9/27 - TOONAMI changes: DBS x2, otherwise the same, as it and Gundam: The Origin end
  • 10/5 - [as] loses 8P hour, 9P DBS x2 rerun, 10P R&M, 10:30P FGx2, TOONAMI changes: 11:30P start with Demon Slayer; 3A Lupin; 3:30A DBS (from either beginning or beginning of ToP); 4A MHA
  • 10/12-10/26 - DBZ Kai returns at 9P, 9:30 R&Mx2, 10:30P FGx2, TOONAMI stays the same
  • 11/2 (end of DST) -  9PM R&Mx2, 10P FGx2, TOONAMI moves to 11 PM with an almost all-night takeover and the premiere of MHA S4! All other slots stay the same except that Lupin takes a break and TOONAMI runs Your Name or another recent movie at 3 AM instead. With an extra hour to work with, it still ends at 4:30 AM.
  • 11/9-12/14 - TOONAMI starts at 10:55 PM with the premiere of The Forge TIE; otherwise the same until 3 AM when Lupin returns, then DBS 3:30A and DBZ Kai 4A.
  • 12/21 - The Forge Mega-Cut 11 PM; Gen:LOCK Season 1 marathon (uncut) to hype Season 2 in early 2020 (11P-???)
  • 12/28 - The Promised Neverland Season 1 marathon OR One-Punch Man Season 1 marathon to hype Season 2 in early 2020 (11P-5A)

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Gundam: The Origin and gen:Lock should have switched slots, especially given that they’re treating the latter as just another show, while the political intrigue of the former is attracting a crowd (that probably watched it on streaming).

• Like 1

That's a bit too much for me to handle, but okay. 🙃

I do agree with the double DBS finale for no reason other than being convenient. After it ends, I actually think they'll move either Black Clover or Boruto up to the front, with the former being more likely. It would be good to have a long runner with no discernible end in sight lead off the block for consistency's sake.

Bold move on calling more OPM. But considering that Viz licensed Mr. Osomatsu two years ago and still hasn't put it out on home video, what's to say they won't drag their feet on this one as well. And while OPM was a big franchise... emphasis on "was", because S2 is a big step down and it feels like few care about it anymore.

It's tough for me to predict Toonami doing anything with the DST hour when they've let [as] proper use it for two years. This time, I think they'll either continue the theme and air the Tim & Eric movie or squeeze in a full series marathon of Primal, since we now know it's premiering in October.

• Like 1

Full series marathon of Primal is something I hadn't considered! But maybe we just get Primal at 4 or 4:30A after Toonami? That would kinda make more sense than a movie, but dammit, I'd like to see a movie back on Toonami, and with 3 AM getting traction again with Gundam, maybe that's something they're looking at? Hell, it would be hilarious to air Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.33 at 3 if they can somehow get it cheaply!

But I digress. We now have full numbers already, courtesy of...

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-miami-florida-sets-espns-best-start-to-college-football-season-on-record/

8/24/2019 - Total Viewers
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 293,000  
DBS (R)  306,000 104.44%
  TOONAMI  
DBS (P) 680,000 113.14%
Gen:LOCK 399,000 58.68%
Dr. Stone 387,000 96.99%
FireForce 364,000 94.06%
FoodWars! 320,000 87.91%
B. Clover 313,000 97.81%
Boruto 277,000 88.50%
Shippuden 251,000 90.61%
Gundam 266,000 105.98%
LupinPt5 260,000 97.74%
MHA (R)  288,000 110.77%
AVERAGE 345,909 25 of 34

8/24/19 - Adults 18-49
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 154,000  
DBS (R)  167,000 108.44%
  TOONAMI  
DBS (P) 421,000 142.71%
Gen:LOCK 235,000 55.82%
Dr. Stone 231,000 98.30%
FireForce 222,000 96.10%
FoodWars! 185,000 83.33%
B. Clover 195,000 105.41%
Boruto 164,000 84.10%
Shippuden 146,000 89.02%
Gundam 180,000 123.29%
LupinPt5 164,000 91.11%
MHA (R)  189,000 115.24%
AVERAGE 212,000 26 of 34

[italics denotes estimate]

Yeah, we're definitely down a notch, but there are still some bright spots. For example, in 18-49, of course DBS was the greatest retainer, but look at which show was #2--Gundam! And then #3 was the rerun of MHA, as it kept the trend going from when it was at 3:30 AM and beat FOUR shows before it! Black Clover was #4, which pretty much proves its biggest tragedy might have been falling to the mid-block (and somehow being considered a rerun in the process) before it ever got good. Gen:LOCK is by far the worst retainer of the night on all counts, but it has actually outperformed AOTS3 at 11:30 PM despite having been out-retained by it; its retention from DBS in total viewers has yet to surpass 60%.

Still, it's tough to tell from Gen:LOCK how a new anime show would do directly in front of this arc of DBS, but of course we'll never get to see that. We DO have evidence, however, that Boruto and MHA did better. Also, it's hard to tell from these how a world premiere of gen:LOCK season 2 on TOONAMI, as some are speculating would come early next year, would do. Of course, the block is doing as well or better than the junk that [as] airs after it, and MHA is proving that can even be the case with reruns!

Elsewhere, interestingly enough, the Dragon Ball Power Hour did better than it has since 7/13, and Nick At Nite's endless parade of umpteen-rerun shitcoms seems to have wiped the floor with all of [as] and TOONAMI except Family Guy and Dragon Ball Super's premiere as usual. That's the REAL tragedy of having a show like gen:LOCK that can't retain at 11:30 PM. 

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Well either it will be the last show on Toonami, or it will be the first show after Toonami. Whether it's part of Toonami or not, to occupy the DST-end hour is definitely something I can see [as] doing.

I also believe it will get a strip rerun somewhere else on [as] in October, perhaps 12:30 AM.

Edited by OwlChemist81

42 minutes ago, helpme said:

So what is everyone going to bet?

I'm betting minus 100k on every show

Nope!! Toonami actually kinda kicked ass last weekend!!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-31-2019.html

Final-Cable-2019-Aug-31-SAT.png

That's new highs for the 11:30-12:30 hour in total viewers, and yes, Gundam: The Origin actually cracked 300K at 3 AM!! Even more impressive than that is the fact that it got better than a 0.2 in Adults 18-34, tying with Fire Force and beating Food Wars and Boruto!!

Gundam: Making 3 AM Great Again!!! All 8 eligible shows made the Top 50 once again, and only Lupin fell outside the Top 30!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 1

Warner Bros last I checked is the one producing the Gundam movie.

Given the newfound emphasis on corporate synergy and pooling of resources, it would be perfect for them to commission an adaptation of the Origin proper.  This series, while good and full of intrigue, ends right before the fun REALLY begins.  It’s in essence a very well done prequel to a show that doesn’t but should exist.

• Thanks 1

So what have we learned this year? Marathons may NOT be necessary on Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day weekend after all, but no matter when the 4th of July is, not running a marathon on the closest weekend (unless it falls on a Wednesday; somehow that worked out alright last year) seems to be a mistake. And next year, the 4th of July ITSELF actually falls on a Saturday, so not running a marathon then would be incredibly stupid to the point of being asinine.

But back to Memorial Day and Labor Day, normal lineups on those 2 days were successful. On Memorial Day, Toonami's average was the 2nd highest of the 6-week period in which MHA kicked it off at 10:30 PM and actually the HIGHEST over that time period in Adults 18-49. And as for this past Labor Day weekend, while we don't know how 3 shows did just yet, Toonami just shrugged off College Football, a mass shooting in Texas, and a freaking HURRICANE to land all SIX of its eligible shows before 3 AM in the Top 25 and even its 2 eligible shows AFTER 3 AM in the Top 50! Now THAT'S ratings success!!