UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia is pushed to 3:30

2 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I agree, there does seem to be more to this than just "you weren't watching it when it started the block so we're forcing it to the end, how 'bout that!?". Something tells me the schedule will get reshuffled and MHA will get moved up to a better slot before the day it's set to happen. Just like when JoJo got demoted to 3AM only for that decision to be revoked less than a week after it was announced.

remember when they said the ratings for One piece were fine and not to worry? i wouldn't trust anything demarco says

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Daos said:

Well also, they seriously think Lupin, Gundam and Foodwars will do better? I mean... really.

Lupin got beaten by 4 shows after it and had the lowest ratings of the night just the other week..... so yeah.

They know by now that nothing beats Dragonball Super (partly because they forced it to).

Dragonball Super is almost over too! It's nearing the final fight, which admittedly does last for several episodes but that isn't a good long-term business decision for them to make.  It will end soon. What then? Will the block get stuck with 250K ratings for ALL the shows, which means the whole block will be canceled again??

MHA moving to 3:30 AM-- I am on the belief that that is THE STUPIDEST decision they ever made. I said in 2012 that I was over complaining like this by now, and that if the block ever ends once more i will be an adult and get over it, but THIS... I never SAW ... THIS COMING...

Edited by elfie
  • D'oh 1

Just now, elfie said:

So much for Adult Swim's Dragonball Block.

because let's be honest if all of us were counted why would there be such a major drop after DBS Ends? are we to believe that most of us hate everything that isn't dragon ball? no i refuse to believe that

i just believe the people whose ratings are counted don't like toonami but do like Dragon ball

• Like 1

There's only one remaining reason why I would watch Toonami at this point. They air exclusive dubs that at the time you can't hear anywhere else before it goes up online or on home video, such is the case with these new episodes of AoT, The Promised Neverland, and Lupin III Part 5.  MHA's dub can be watched legally in three totally different services, which I guess is one reason why they believe it's a good idea to move it this far into the night, and a reaosn I WISH DeMarco had cited on ask.fm instead of "ITTHS YOOOOUR FAULT!!!".  Food Wars' dub for season 1 is available for home release, but I already seen the anime.

So admittedly, I will stick around, but this is one more strike closer for me to give up on Toonami like an ex lover.

• Sad 1

SO. A SUPERHERO anime... in an age where an entire superhero movie series has been breaking box office records and changing the face of cinema for an entire decade .... can't even be popular.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/my-hero-academia/

https://vrv.co/series/G6NQ5DWZ6/My-Hero-Academia

https://www.hulu.com/series/my-hero-academia-36e318dc-3daf-47fb-8219-9e3cb5cd28f2

go there instead.

Edited by elfie

1 minute ago, 3ngag3 said:

DeMarco is saying on Twitter that the decision to move MHA did not come from him, but the network superiors.

I don't think he would willingly have moved the show otherwise.

They panicked over last weeks ratings.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

do ratings matter or not? they can't bounce between the two....Nielsen Ratings i guess are still king

what's that? grandpa doesn't like MHA then death-slot it!

THANK YOU!

This is I think one of the most frustrating things about taking all this in. IT'S TOO CONFUSING since it contradicts everything we thought was true!

1 minute ago, elfie said:

THANK YOU!

This is I think one of the most frustrating things about taking all this in. IT'S TOO CONFUSING since it contradicts everything we thought was true!

because like i keep saying none of us are counted in these bullshit ratings  you ever seen a nielsen box? i sure as hell haven't

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, elfie said:

I been at this for two hours. I need to get on doing something else right now.

same....last thing I'll say is i hope this doesn't mean MHA is gone forever from Toonami and this is just them being weird(not an actual departure like one piece)

i can't see myself subbing to a subscription service to continue watching MHA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

And with that, I break out the big guns.

YalaNq8.gif

I also don't like this thread, but for a different reason: most people in it (but not you) have become the most annoying, Flanderized versions of themselves. It's like I'm reading nothing new. And then you have their brooding cynicism feeling akin to a death cult, which is something I try to avoid.

If you watch MHA and don't like the change, DVR it if you can. And do vocally complain, but only in a space where DeMarco and company can hear it. At least the kerfuffle with JoJo's from a little while ago did prove that casual Toonami fans have some say in how the block is handled. I'd much rather we try to work it instead of yelling about death and destruction in an echo chamber.

Additionally, while I wish we could stop talking about the ratings, there is merit to discussion if things like this happen. But we should also start enjoying things and not trashing show choices because they're too old. I'm enjoying Lupin Part V so far and want to give Food Wars a try, and I think others should be trying to follow suit.

• Like 2
  • D'oh 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

I Expected ratings to go down when we all say it with me rely on channel surfing grandpa's who were randomly selected by big corporate entities to determine ratings

I've always been very careful to ensure that my ratings go towards Toonami programing, even that Gundam crap [ although it's usually muted but I don't think they can tell that ] . The tv's sleep mode is set to activate when Toonami is over so the tv is on even if I'm 'out' . 

I was really hoping to be able to watch that series to it's conclusion at a decent hour on the tv. Now it looks like it'll get added to the same internet list that HunterxHunter is currently hanging out on. That's not good business if you want people to watch your programing. Plus, MHA is a solid show as a lead in to the night between the [ as ] standards and the 'harder' anime that happens later in the evening. Punting it to the back seems like it's being punished because Gundam is airing late or something. 

A solid schedule needs it's anchors to keep the audience in place. Moving things all over any time someone has a head cold does not an anchor make. Saturday ratings may not be the greatest of the great but if you skunk the core ratings that are always there, you risk losing your spot in the rankings, period. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Blatch said:

have become the most annoying, Flanderized versions of themselves. It's like I'm reading nothing new. And then you have their brooding cynicism feeling akin to a death cult

elfie will never change its the reason why no one takes him seriously

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

someone on toonzone made this comment

" Just a reminder that MHA always consistently has the second highest ratings on the block. The higher standards for more expensive shows theory still seems most plausible, but some things don't make sense. None of the other shows can possibly perform like MHA did and them getting precedence just because Toonami has lower ratings standards for those shows doesn't make much sense. Sponsors aren't going to pay as much for a deathslot advertising spot. I'd think that a MHA in the 12:30 spot or earlier would get them more advertiser money than Lupin in the same spot. I thought making money was the name of the game. Deathslotting a show because it doesn't make a certain benchmark makes no sense when it consistently gets more viewers than every show on the lineup not named Dragonball. Nothing makes sense about this."

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

I kinda wonder if someone accidentally published the wrong schedule and is just too embarrassed to admit it, and in a couple of days they'll release a new one that makes more sense and just pretend they changed their mind.

They've done that before.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

like i said the rumor is that funimation and toonami were already butting-heads over the future and this could be toonami's way of putting their foot down on the matter

I hate to believe such theories but once AoT ends and MHA season 3 ends the only FUNimation dubs could be DBS and Black Clover. Toei calls the shots with DBS and CR or maybe TV Tokyo will endure Clover stays but that may be it.

FUNimation doesn’t tweet about Toonami broadcasts or mention them during panels like they used to. Aniplex, Viz and Sentai do exactly that.

While I don’t think DeMarco would intentionally toss MHA to 3:30 to make a statement to FUNi. Whether it’s malicious or just practical, the programming department seems to see no reason to give MHA the limelight any longer. It’s probably not intended to be malicious or petty but it sure comes off that way.

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

I kinda wonder if someone accidentally published the wrong schedule and is just too embarrassed to admit it, and in a couple of days they'll release a new one that makes more sense and just pretend they changed their mind.

We can hope. If this schedule was the same but Lupin and MHA flipped, I would have believed it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sketch said:

We can hope. If this schedule was the same but Lupin and MHA flipped, I would have believed it.

Considering Lupin's very first episode was beaten by 4 shows after it and was the lowest show of the night.... this doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daos said:

Considering Lupin's very first episode was beaten by 4 shows after it and was the lowest show of the night.... this doesn't make much sense.

No, no it doesn’t.

i cannot fathom why this isn’t the schedule

11:00 - Dragon Ball Super

11:30 - My Hero Academia

12:00 - Attack on Titan

12:30 - SAO Alicization

1:00 - Food Wars

1:30 - Black Clover

2:00 - Lupin Part 5

2:30 - Boruto

3:00 - Shippuden

3:30 - Gundam: The Origin

Or even have Lupin at 3am after its mediocre performance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Daos said:

"another theory is this is just damage control and they are losing MHA and S4 will be exclusive to Funimation NOW as well as Hulu"

It’s getting hard to doubt it. MHA season 4 will probably air but it’s looking like it won’t get to until maybe Fall of 2020. Given season 3 started airing on Toonami this year but it finished in Japan last Fall. Any chance of MHA season 4 airing on Toonami in time to replace DBS in October are pretty slim. So no need to keep it toward the front aside from trying not to piss off the fans and keeping a spot warm for something else. If it’s at 3:30 it can be shoved out of the spotlight and quietly phased out, taking the 3:30 slot with it when it ends in 8 weeks.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Daos said:

I'm not even being pessimistic. Ratings are already in the tank with a schedule that makes sense. This makes no sense.

Instead of Gate, Overlord, Re Zero, Slime, Shield Hero, Konosuba, Tanya, Goblin Slayer, OPM2, Mob2 we get....

More Lupin, More Jojo, more Gundam... and Foodwars.

I've never seen a block decide to commit suicide before.

Here's the bad thing, all those hit shows I listed Except for Gate and OPM..... Funimation or Funimation/Crunchyroll.

If they're indeed done with Funimation Toonami is probably toast. 

Unless they can survive by airing 4 year old Sentai Food Shonen.

So Sentai is the only one that can save Toonami now? So Gate and Made in Abyss?

Time for Danmachi and Amagi Brilliant park!

And Black Bullet.

Umm.... Elven Lied? =P

The continuing issues with shows on Toonami being successful EVERYWHERE BUT TOONAMI (It bears repeating, after Avengers Endgame came out the one comic that got a boost was MHA.  How does that even work?!  “I sure loved that movie about Marvel’s heroes.  Shame the comics are all dogshit, but this comic about a green haired dork suddenly finding himself being prepared to become the new Superman scratches that itch in a way the Agents of G.I.R.L never, EVER could”) are synonymous with the reasons behind the second anime boom.

We no longer live in the early 2000’s where the only way most people could reliably watch anime was Toonami and Adult Swim Action, begging for the right show and that Standard and Practices wouldn’t dice it up too badly (these are the days you couldn’t say ‘shit’ on air).  On Demand was a joke with the only real dedicated outlet being the now defunct ADV Anime Network  (a network when someone suggested watching that instead of Adult Swim, a Toonzone mod very pointedly told the poster to “stop sucking ADV’s luscious cock”.  Fuckwad).  And that’s assuming Adult Swim wasn’t having fun at their viewer’s expense.

(That really happened.  And as much as I ironically enjoy the show about Zack Morris being trash, you bet your ass anime fans lost their shit when it was announced).

The shit is literally everywhere, and it’s not hard to find it.  You know what the first result is when you look up MHA on Google after the Wikipedia entry?  Crunchyroll and FUNImation links to watch My Hero Academia!  Full thing, legally, in HD with the right subscription, in both English and Japanese.  This was an outright pipe dream in 2004.  

You know what probably happens?  Someone may or may not have seen an episode of MHA on Toonami.  If they like it, they can watch it wherever they damn well please, whenever they damn well please on their own time.  But that doesn’t translate into ratings.  And it leaves Toonami as little more than a giant advertisement for shows airing elsewhere unless they’re in that sweet pre/post sports spot time slot, which Super is.  And this is also probably why JoJo only did middling on Toonami but absolutely crushed it on Netflix.

Edited by Jman

If I were arranging the Toonami schedule (with the 11 PM-4 AM constraint), here's what I'd do. Each hour would even have its own theme:

Hour 1: the "Heavy Hitters" Hour:

• 11 PM - Dragon Ball Super
  • 11:30 - Attack On Titan

Hour 2: the "Slice-of-Life-y" Hour:

• 12 AM - MHA
  • 12:30 - SAO-A

Hour 3: the "Old Man Anime" Hour

• 1 AM - Lupin Part 5
  • 1:30 - Gundam: The Origin

Hour 4: the "Parody" Hour:

• 2 AM - Food Wars
  • 2:30 - Black Clover

Hour 5: the "Narutoverse" Hour:

• 3 AM - Boruto
  • 3:30 - Shippuden
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

If I were arranging the Toonami schedule (with the 11 PM-4 AM constraint), here's what I'd do. Each hour would even have its own theme:

Hour 1: the "Heavy Hitters" Hour:

• 11 PM - Dragon Ball Super
  • 11:30 - Attack On Titan

Hour 2: the "Slice-of-Life-y" Hour:

• 12 AM - MHA
  • 12:30 - SAO-A

Hour 3: the "Old Man Anime" Hour

• 1 AM - Lupin Part 5
  • 1:30 - Gundam: The Origin

Hour 4: the "Parody" Hour:

• 2 AM - Food Wars
  • 2:30 - Black Clover

Hour 5: the "Narutoverse" Hour:

• 3 AM - Boruto
  • 3:30 - Shippuden

Clever. Of course some of those themes are extremely loose - ex., MHA is an action-superhero anime even though it does have SOL moments.