UnevenEdge

I'm going to nyc in a week

bnmjy

1 hour ago, bnmjy said:

I'll be in the Japanese Consulate, handling my dual citizenship status.

BE JEALOUS BITCH.

Hey half Japanese dude, I have a random question about the culture of your ancestors that you may or may not know the answer to...

Is there some kind of connection in Japan between the names Ryu and Ken? Not just because of Street Fighter, but predating Street Fighter (or at least Street Fighter II) was Ninja Gaiden, in which the protagonist ninja is named Ryu and his father ninja-turned-bad-guy is named Ken. It seems like a weird coincidence for both of these franchises to connect the names Ryu and Ken in a significant way.

14 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Hey half Japanese dude, I have a random question about the culture of your ancestors that you may or may not know the answer to...

Is there some kind of connection in Japan between the names Ryu and Ken? Not just because of Street Fighter, but predating Street Fighter (or at least Street Fighter II) was Ninja Gaiden, in which the protagonist ninja is named Ryu and his father ninja-turned-bad-guy is named Ken. It seems like a weird coincidence for both of these franchises to connect the names Ryu and Ken in a significant way.

No idea. I just know that ryu means dragon and is very frequently used in anything related to martial arts. Ken means sword.

That's all I got, lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bnmjy said:

No idea. I just know that ryu means dragon and is very frequently used in anything related to martial arts. Ken means sword.

That's all I got, lol

That actually helps a lot. Ryu's sword in Ninja Gaiden is called The Dragon Sword, and it was passed down to him by his father (again, named Ken). xD

Now I just need to know why Ken from Street Fighter was named Ken...