UnevenEdge

THIS IS A SCHEDULE UPDATE ALERT

Oh. So to make it clear, this is NOT an expansion.  The block is still the same length. But they moved it up a slot, which means Hunter x Hunter, a show that is still having dub premieres, is at the ass-end of the block!  ... at least they got rid of the rerun slot, at least for several more weeks?  .... who cares. That's still horrible news.

Oh good.  Put it further in the range of sports and PPV’s.  That isn’t likely to backfire.  Wasn’t the idea of starting later a way to ensure the audience didn’t have any other commitments besides just going out and watching everything on demand?

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daos said:

MHA has like 12ish episodes left... maybe they have a heavy hitter lined up right after?

Either that or they will drop 10:30 after MHA season 3 ends.

Putting Super at 10:30 would have been much safer but MHA did alright as the lead at 10pm. We’ll see how it goes this time.

I’m just happy there isn’t a big shift across the board and HxH and DIU aren’t getting moved again in their final stretches.

• Like 3

Good Grief! No friggin' way are they airing that at 10:30!

I'm glad AOT is getting its original 11:30 timeslot back! After the first season, it's only aired then for marathons and that weird double-header they did last year because they couldn't figure out what the hell to do with the extra timeslot after FLCL's repeat run.

So, HxH has 7 episodes left. That covers May and June. But the Promised Neverland ALSO has 7 episodes left! So they will end at the same time and we'll get TWO new shows in July! Either that, or Toonami shrinks back to an 8-show block from 11-3. But I doubt that's going to happen. The fact that they're not putting on a rerun at 3:30 seems to indicate that they're comfortable with a 10-show block.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jman said:

Oh good.  Put it further in the range of sports and PPV’s.  That isn’t likely to backfire.  Wasn’t the idea of starting later a way to ensure the audience didn’t have any other commitments besides just going out and watching everything on demand?

In what universe do you suppose there is any sort of widespread concurrency between Toonami viewers and people who watch PPV fights?  I'm assuming it's the universe where those things called DVRs also don't exist.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

In what universe do you suppose there is any sort of widespread concurrency between Toonami viewers and people who watch PPV fights?  I'm assuming it's the universe where those things called DVRs also don't exist.

More than you would think.  Especially concerning Dragonball and MHA.  It’s just that most of those people rely on On Demand for their stuff and only watch when there’s no direct interference.  

That’s the weird dichotomy to me.  The anime market is bigger than ever, with more people watching than ever.  But thanks to the decrease in over the air viewership, that hasn’t translated to ratings for Toonami.

I'm glad AOT and Promised Neverland ended up back-to-back.

Two shows in which human beings are not the top of the food chain being together makes sense!

Hell, we COULD even call it the "Jeffrey Dahmer Power Hour!"

[but we won't]

Edited by OwlChemist81

On 5/14/2019 at 2:28 AM, Sketch said:

Either that or they will drop 10:30 after MHA season 3 ends.

Putting Super at 10:30 would have been much safer but MHA did alright as the lead at 10pm. We’ll see how it goes this time.

I’m just happy there isn’t a big shift across the board and HxH and DIU aren’t getting moved again in their final stretches.

I am surprised they didn't put AoT first.  I thought MHA did bad which is why they removed it from opening up before.  Thought maybe they put it here to be the future anchor after Super ends, but Daos sais MHA just has 12 episodes left, so I dunno.

I agree that The Promised Neverland and Attack on Titan go perfectly together.  So many parallels there.

Yeah when I first saw the report from CBR or whatever it was I thought they moved everything up, too, but that's not the case.  They worded that article really poorly.

Edited by ben0119

7 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I'm assuming that once MHA ends, everything else just moves up a slot and they shove Pop Team, FLCL, or the last arc of season 3 at the end of the night to wait out for season 4.

They won't do that because it fucked up the ratings last time and then they reversed the move.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:02 PM, Jman said:

That’s the weird dichotomy to me.  The anime market is bigger than ever, with more people watching than ever.  But thanks to the decrease in over the air viewership, that hasn’t translated to ratings for Toonami.

Why in the actual goddamn fuck would I want to stay up late on a Saturday night to watch a handful of shows that have been legally available to watch for weeks, months, and in some cases actual years? If HBO put new episodes of Game of Thrones on HBOGo and then waited a month to premiere them on their broadcast channel do you think anyone would be gathered around their TV on Sunday night for that?

TV ratings are down across the board outside of sporting events. The way people watch TV has changed drastically and anime is no different. No one needs Toonami anymore.

• Thanks 2
  • D'oh 1

1 hour ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

No one needs Toonami anymore.

And somewhere in a darkened closet DeMarco is weeping....

Yeah, but seriously, people watch it because nothing else catches their fancy.

Most of the premium channels have crap for originals and get second tier movies as premieres, this will only continue as major media outlets move towards in-house streaming services. Content will be much more expensive in the coming years, as people have to subscriptions to everything.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ben0119 said:

They won't do that because it fucked up the ratings last time and then they reversed the move.

I feel like playing a rerun at the beginning of the block several months would probably hurt the ratings more. Season 4 doesn't air until October, and it probably won't hit Toonami until November just so they have a solid buffer against those inevitable skipped weeks in the Japanese broadcast. That's a three month gap that they have to do something with, and bumping the other premiers up half an hour seems like an obvious choice.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

Why in the actual goddamn fuck would I want to stay up late on a Saturday night to watch a handful of shows that have been legally available to watch for weeks, months, and in some cases actual years? If HBO put new episodes of Game of Thrones on HBOGo and then waited a month to premiere them on their broadcast channel do you think anyone would be gathered around their TV on Sunday night for that?

TV ratings are down across the board outside of sporting events. The way people watch TV has changed drastically and anime is no different. No one needs Toonami anymore.

If show creators like Genndy Tartakovsky don’t even value Toonami as a platform, it basically loses all purpose aside from airing anime for people who have cable but don’t have decent internet for streaming. The block has plenty of dub premieres but more and more people will watch subs for free if it’s an option.

All Toonami has going for it is atmosphere  (and not all that many people care about that expect die hards) and the shared experience but the later can be managed by watching shows with friends. They’ll have exclusives every once in a while but those can later be watched outside of the block.

Toonami is nice to have around but it’s lost pretty much any purpose at this point.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • D'oh 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

If show creators like Genndy Tartakovsky don’t even value Toonami as a platform, it basically loses all purpose aside from airing anime for people who have cable but don’t have decent internet for streaming.

This is the very reason why that news stung me.  Right here.  Deep inside.

Also, Wasn't Toonami always atmosphere?  Would you have appreciated the shows airing back in the early 2000's if it played on just regular late night CN or Adult Swim?

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

If show creators like Genndy Tartakovsky don’t even value Toonami as a platform, it basically loses all purpose aside from airing anime for people who have cable but don’t have decent internet for streaming. The block has plenty of dub premieres but more and more people will watch subs for free if it’s an option.

All Toonami has going for it is atmosphere  (and not all that many people care about that expect die hards) and the shared experience but the later can be managed by watching shows with friends. They’ll have exclusives every once in a while but those can later be watched outside of the block.

Toonami is nice to have around but it’s lost pretty much any purpose at this point.

That's almost bizarrely pessimistic coming from you! We've still got Scavengers and Blade Runner coming someday!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

All Toonami has going for it is atmosphere  (and not all that many people care about that expect die hards) and the shared experience but the later can be managed by watching shows with friends.

Bold of you to assume Toonami fans have friends.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

Bold of you to assume Toonami fans have friends.

Funny how this is just as personally offensive towards me as Queen's "nobody should ever voluntary watch Toonami in this day and age" comment but is much funnier. Probably because it's one line instead of a paragraph or two and lacks any unnecessary profanity.

[seriously queen, wtf?]

9 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Funny how this is just as personally offensive towards me as Queen's "nobody should ever voluntary watch Toonami in this day and age" comment but is much funnier. Probably because it's one line instead of a paragraph or two and lacks any unnecessary profanity.

[seriously queen, wtf?]

Sorry I wasn't trying to be funny. Next time I'll preface all my serious points with "not a joke" so you know. I never said no one should watch Toonami... I said Toonami is kind of pointless in this day and age just like most of television in general outside of sports. Worrying about ratings in 2019 is pointless. They are never going to be higher because even casual viewers are shifting to delayed viewing either through DVR use, on demand access, or streaming services. Neilson ratings are on their deathbed and my point was also more to the fact that Toonami doesn't even try anymore. They let Crunchyroll and Funimation do all of the work for them while not attempting to bring anything that would draw ratings. They don't have the power to pull a Netflix jail to let something like this season of AoT that's about to start  have it's world premiere on Toonami. Hell they aren't even attempting to work on even doing another simulpremiere like they did with Space Dandy. Instead they pump money into two truly terrible seasons of FLCL and a bunch shows that anime fans have seen with a schedule that can change at the drop of a hat with no real incentive to watch live.

Also you can fuck right the fuck off in regards to my profanity.

Edited by QueenoftheDorks
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

Sorry I wasn't trying to be funny. Next time I'll preface all my serious points with "not a joke" so you know. I never said no one should watch Toonami... I said Toonami is kind of pointless in this day and age just like most of television in general outside of sports. Worrying about ratings in 2019 is pointless. They are never going to be higher because even casual viewers are shifting to delayed viewing either through DVR use, on demand access, or streaming services. Neilson ratings are on their deathbed and my point was also more to the fact that Toonami doesn't even try anymore. They let Crunchyroll and Funimation do all of the work for them while not attempting to bring anything that would draw ratings. They don't have the power to pull a Netflix jail to let something like this season of AoT that's about to start  have it's world premiere on Toonami. Hell they aren't even attempting to work on even doing another simulpremiere like they did with Space Dandy. Instead they pump money into two truly terrible seasons of FLCL and a bunch shows that anime fans have seen with a schedule that can change at the drop of a hat with no real incentive to watch live.

When did people use "let" instead of "can't afford to compete"?

Okay, I'm back after spending a few hours doing some low-stress things, so allow me to take the time to apologize for acting like a jerk earlier about the "no need for Toonami" spiel. It's true that Toonami's no longer as necessary as it was in the past - hell, even I've taken to watching anime online like everybody else - but I don't feel comfortable yet believing that it's not necessary, partly because I still watch it week by week when I could just binge what they're airing (lucky for them I'm not the binging type), and partly because there's a sense of comfort knowing that a place where one can watch anime on basic cable still exists. Believe me, when Toonami inevitably gets cancelled again, I won't be the only one shedding tears and referencing the Bebop ending like TOM did the first time they closed up shop.

So yeah. It sucks to hear that Toonami's not the pillar it once was, especially from someone I expected to be more chill about this sort of thing, but if that's how it is, then I guess I'd better start getting used to it before it gets to the point that I piss off someone so badly they downvote every post I make, even if it's a good one.

[holds out hand to start over]

Edited by PokeNirvash
I probably deserve whatever downvotes I get for that last one. >_>

6 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

Fuck me? Fuck you!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Okay, I'm back after spending a few hours doing some low-stress things, so allow me to take the time to apologize for acting like a jerk earlier about the "no need for Toonami" spiel. It's true that Toonami's no longer as necessary as it was in the past - hell, even I've taken to watching anime online like everybody else - but I don't feel comfortable yet believing that it's not necessary, partly because I still watch it week by week when I could just binge what they're airing (lucky for them I'm not the binging type), and partly because there's a sense of comfort knowing that a place where one can watch anime on basic cable still exists. Believe me, when Toonami inevitably gets cancelled again, I won't be the only one shedding tears and referencing the Bebop ending like TOM did the first time they closed up shop.

So yeah. It sucks to hear that Toonami's not the pillar it once was, especially from someone I expected to be more chill about this sort of thing, but if that's how it is, then I guess I'd better start getting used to it before it gets to the point that I piss off someone so badly they downvote every post I make, even if it's a good one.

[holds out hand to start over]

While the ratings of Toonami STUNK TO HIGH HEAVEN last week, I don't think Toonami is going to be "cancelled" in the sense that it was the first time. I believe it will more or less "retire," this time not against the crew's will, but as they want it to be. Financially even at its height in 2015, this Toonami couldn't compare to anything that the CN Toonami could do. Hence I doubt [as] will tell it to improve or take a hike. I believe Demarco and Co. will just close up shop when they feel it's time. One shitty night of ratings vs. the steamroller that is a Golden State basketball game won't do the block in!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 4:02 PM, EmpressAngel said:

I feel like playing a rerun at the beginning of the block several months would probably hurt the ratings more. Season 4 doesn't air until October, and it probably won't hit Toonami until November just so they have a solid buffer against those inevitable skipped weeks in the Japanese broadcast. That's a three month gap that they have to do something with, and bumping the other premiers up half an hour seems like an obvious choice.

Or they could just put something else there... I wasn't suggesting they play a rerun.  But yeah, not sure what the plan is here if there's going to be a delay for the new episodes.  Either way moving everything up sounds like a bad idea that's already failed once before.

Eh, not just atmosphere, but you can't compare the sense of community you get from Toonami, to just watching stuff by yourself at any given time.  And yeah I have friends that like anime and we have watched some together in the past, but we don't get together that often anymore and it's not like anime is the only hobby we share or thing we would watch or do.  Using social media to discuss anime is ass.  The layout for Twitter is horrid and chaotic, and things quickly get buried, you can't go back to it easily like on a forum.  Reddit has a HORRIBLE layout and user interface.  Facebook's layout is decent but it has the same issue of impermanence as the others.

So yeah maybe Toonami itself doesn't serve much more of a practical purpose to most, and cable is only killing itself with its insane pricing and business models, but the experience really can't be replicated. 

And I have news for people.  Everything going streaming will quickly and easily exceed cable bills.  It was fine when it was just a few services and they had huge libraries.  Every one trying to have their own service defeats the purpose of Netflix and Hulu with their massive libraries.  People are going to be pirating a lot because they're not going to subscribe to a streaming platform just to watch one fucking show.

• Confused 2

I just realized something: for the first time ever, we've got SEVEN dub premieres for 7 years on Adult Swim! Also, how fresh are the shows?

MHA - 2018
DBS - 2017
AOT - 2019
TPN - 2019
SAO-A - 2019
JOJO - 2016

BC - 2019
BOR - 2017
N:S - 2012
HXH - 2014

There you have it. For the first time ever, half the block has animation which premiered in Japan less than a year ago! I hope this is a winning formula for ratings!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 1