UnevenEdge

Toonami will air Lupin the 3rd Part 5, starting June 15th

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Didn’t Part IV flop on Toonami?

so much so that they reran it

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Also they kind of Did A Bad: there are no convenient shows ending on June 15th so the only way they could fit Lupin III in is if they add another half-hour to the block, in which case they probably spoiled the news early that they're expanding.

JoJo ends June 8th

Edited by korosu

9 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

Now the question is, will they keep the original opening and ending for this part? Or will they be using international versions like last time?

I don't think there WAS an International version this time. I think we're talking original OP and ED!

As for timeslot, I think we're talking either 1 or 1:30, immediately after SAO3, depending upon where and how AOT S3 Part 4 shows up. Lupin has always been kind of a "midcarder" on Toonami in premieres, although I guess you could argue that the earliest appearance of Part 4 at 2 AM was a "latecarder".

At any rate, it's most likely gonna replace JoJo, though I'll bet JoJo will come back relatively shortly for Part 5 when AOT S3 Part 2 ends. Now whether the 2 "Part 5s" end up back to back for a time will remain to be seen...

And I'm STILL hoping we get expansion to 10 PM and Gundam: The Origin TV Edit out of this...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Coolio. I've been hankering for more Lupin as of late. Sadly, I never finished Part IV's airing on Toonami, but I've heard this series is even better than that one, so I have no reason to not at least sample it.

It's also fitting that this announcement comes soon after Monkey Punch's passing. Maybe this airing will have a dedication to him? Heck, if nothing else, I think Toonami should make their own send-off promo for him like they did after C. Martin Croker died.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Mr. Owl I swear to goddamn fuckin christ if you EVER downvote my posts and verbally abuse me again I am going to keep alerting you to the mods.

Dude, Helps is a potato-peeling hobgoblin.

Why you letting him get to you with a down vote that doesn't even affect your rep?

Edited by Ginguy
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, elfie said:

I am going to keep alerting you to the mods.

remember what KN told you?

if you don't like it leave

also thats a good way to annoy a mod when I haven't broken any rules so continue to abuse the reports and you would be ignored just like on lithium

LhCoxWU.gif

Edited by Mr Owl
  • D'oh 1

Well that's pretty wild. Lupin would be the last series I would have expected to last this long. I mean obviously I remember when Adult Swim first moved to Mondays-Thursday and Lupin (Part II- 1978?) was their "newest" anime premiere, and sixteen years later they're still playing Lupin as if it were as popular as Bebop or InuYasha. This means that the Toonami/Adult Swim crew are as infatuated with Lupin the 3rd as they are with FLCL because nobody is really clamoring for Lupin Part V!!!

• Confused 1
  • D'oh 1

I'd actually prefer if they aired Lupin Parts I-III because these newer episodes can be really corny especially with Lupin's fake Italian wife... Yeah basically half of Part IV was a total throwaway. And some of the episodes didn't even connect, it was weird to say the least

• Confused 1
  • D'oh 1

I will say this is very fitting given Monkey Punch's recent passing.

But I am surprised they're airing this since didn't it do bad in ratings?  I mean I guess they keep saying ratings don't matter as much anymore, and they did rearrange the schedule after backlash, but at the same time, were their people requesting Lupin Part V in droves?

I like Lupin enough but there are so many shows out there.  I'd rather having something new and different than just another Lupin season.

I am disappointed that the next JoJo season isn't following up immediately.  I hope it's just a case of the dub not being ready and not that they are giving up airing any more of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

But I am surprised they're airing this since didn't it do bad in ratings?  I mean I guess they keep saying ratings don't matter as much anymore, and they did rearrange the schedule after backlash, but at the same time, were their people requesting Lupin Part V in droves?

they reran part iv in full

part v was among the top requested shows shared a little while back

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, korosu said:

they reran part iv in full

part v was among the top requested shows shared a little while back

I see.  I didn't hear about that.  I'm kind of surprised that Lupin Part V was one of the top requested shows.  Demarco always used to talk about how they couldn't air shows that were "too old," because they got bad ratings.  I suppose you could liken it to how some people just won't watch old movies or TV shows, even if they're good, because "they're old," "was before my time," or black and white movies just because they're black and white, which is sad.  Lupin Part IV and V may not be old, but they most definitely use the same art style as the old Lupins, so they don't look like modern anime.  I remember people complaining about JoJo's retro art style too.

Edited by ben0119

On 4/28/2019 at 4:35 AM, ben0119 said:

Lupin Part IV and V may not be old, but they most definitely use the same art style as the old Lupins, so they don't look like modern anime.  I remember people complaining about JoJo's retro art style too.

13 hours ago, elfie said:

Lupin III Part 5 aired just last year, so I don't how it can be considered an old show.

• 4 weeks later...

Neither of those are correct! Gundam origin will take the place of Promised Neverland, assuming no shake-ups. Promised Neverland Season 1 is only 12 episodes long!

And even IF Lupin was getting relegated to 3 AM to take HxH's place, while something hotter airs at 1 AM, that would happen its THIRD week, not its 2nd. But that's NOT HAPPENING to a show with animation from 2018! Even Gundam Origin's animation will start out from 2015 and will gradually get newer toward the end of the show (2018).

Edited by OwlChemist81

12 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

So a rerun's replacing HxH, then. Close enough, at least HxH's replacement is airing at 3 like it is right now.

We honestly don't know what's gonna happen. Toonami could shift up again from 10 PM-3 AM and drop the 3 AM slot.

While Toonami has at least temporarily been purged of reruns, of course the DBZ Power Hour is still solely consisting of reruns. If that gets blinked out of existence, I'd expect DBZ Kai to get moved to 3 AM. They've already ended the Samurai Jack weeknight opener, relegating it to 5:30 AM starting this Monday night/Tuesday morning. For Kai to follow suit and move back to 3 AM is something I'd expect, especially if Toonami regains 10 PM with a hot new show in the process. Whether that would mean that Kai is part of Toonami or just airing after it is anybody's guess. If Toonami wants to keep its newfound reputation of no longer airing reruns, then that would mean the latter.

I'd be perfectly fine with Toonami being strictly a premieres block as it is now and for reruns of more popular Toonami shows to air elsewhere on the network without Toonami bumpers. Of course, it would seem that would also mean the end of marathons, too. But you know they're gonna HAVE to return SOMEDAY, even if it seems for now they're stealthily dodging them. The only alternatives to not doing that are to either have Saturday nights in which Toonami doesn't air, or to air movies or other specials as part of Toonami.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1