UnevenEdge

Sword Art Online: Alicization Episodes 9 & 10 Discussion

15 minutes ago, elfie said:

It sounds like they're listening to their emotions, and are just sleepy.

... wouldn't linking to hotlines be ... um ... what's the word? .... "GOOD"??

It comes off as fake and trivializing the issue.

34 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

He said he was influenced by light novels he read in middle school that had rape in them.Ā Ā 

to be fair Sageshito Itoi witnessed a rape scene as a child and his response was to us it as inspiration for a disturbing eldritch abomination, not show multiple women get raped in a fetishized manner in ALL his works

Ā 

SEIZURE WARNING

Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfie said:

So this is what I notice.Ā  at least two prominent fans of Toonami Faithful podcast and who were given many shoutouts from them in the past ... are on Twitter vowing never to watch Toonami again after that one scene.

Ā 

Because clearly What was in SAO is 100% DeMarco's fault and the sky is purple polka-dots.

The Toonami News twitter has even made multiple posts about linking to helpful phone numbers and accounts for anyone who was a victim of real sexual assault.Ā  I mean .... can they be any more clear?

Wonder what they would have made of Hellsing Ultimate? Ding dongs!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mochi said:

to be fair Sageshito Itoi witnessed a rape scene as a child and his response was to us it as inspiration for a disturbing eldritch abomination, not show multiple women get raped in a fetishized manner in ALL his works

Ā 

SEIZURE WARNING

Ā 

I don't think Reki was using it as an excuse, he was just offering an explanation.Ā  I would hope it wasn't meant to be fetishized.Ā  Are rape scenes in his other series?Ā  At least Reki said he's not going to put those scenes in anymore.

I heard stories about Earthbound being a great game for years but I never knew it was so demented.Ā  I watched the AVGN episode on it.Ā  Not sure I want to play it now lol.

11 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I don't think Reki was using it as an excuse, he was just offering an explanation.Ā  I would hope it wasn't meant to be fetishized.Ā  Are rape scenes in his other series?Ā  At least Reki said he's not going to put those scenes in anymore.

I heard stories about Earthbound being a great game for years but I never knew it was so demented.Ā  I watched the AVGN episode on it.Ā  Not sure I want to play it now lol.

it's zany and wacky for 90% of the game then takes a Sharp Serve into WTF eldritch horror in the final boss battle out of nowhere

Ā 

not unlike every single Kirby game

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Meh. Pretty standard SAO. Maybe the show will get pushed back to try and get a little less attention for a while.

Go watch it uncut on Hulu or Funimation and get back to me.Ā 

And I doubt that, given what their original schedule change was going to be for when Promised Neverland came in.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

It shows up after people break the Taboo Index.Ā  Seeing it doesn't break the Taboo Index.Ā  They didn't get in trouble for seeing it when Alice crossed over.

Hmmm, yeah forgot about that, not sure why he didn't want them to see it then

Edited by DangerMouse

10 hours ago, OSC said:

"Use it for when you really say goodbye to someone."

"Isn't that supposed to be Yeet?"

"Different kind of goodbye."

Had to sleep early so just watched the episode. It's pretty obvious "Stay Cool" will be Eugeo's final words when he either dies or Kirito leaves.

14 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Friendly reminder that Vic and Todd played the tentacle slug and Oberon.Ā  Were they prank castings, at least in Vic's case??Ā  Hence why I almost had a heart attack when @AnimationFan14 said both these characters were played by Vic!

There's a reason I made "SAO rapist stunt casting" an unofficial meme. Between Vic as the slug, Todd as Oberon, JYB as Kyoji, and Staley as Raios, I'm convinced putting an industry veteran in the role of a rapist is an SAO dub tradition.

At the very least, it makes for great outtakes, like when JYB portrayed Kyoji as a rabid Michelle Ruff fanboy who really wanted an autograph. At the absolute most, you have cases like Vic not knowing the slug was a rapist until he got in the booth to record and was too ashamed to look Cherami Leigh in the face for the rest of the day. :D

13 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Darkening is from Crunchyroll I guess, when Humbert lost an arm.

Using dark shadows to censor bloodier-than-average content on UHF stations is par for the course in Japan, so I'm guessing that was there before Crunchyroll got their mitts on it.

12 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Who was Humbert?

Chris Hackney, best known to us Toonamiites as Illumi (Killua's oldest brother) in Hunter x Hunter.

On 4/7/2019 at 2:18 AM, DangerMouse said:

Pretty sure it was Steve Staley (Hitsugaya in Bleach, Banager in Gundam Unicorn, Neji in Naruto, etc.)

Thanks. I think I recognized the voice at first as a villain and I was wondering from where. I think it must be from that guy in Kill la Kill.

• Like 2

I just saw the episode uncensored. It wasn't that bad you big babies. Aside from bad writing.

First of all, I thought the problem with this world is that they obey the rules too strictly and won't murder anyone? Rape guy was about to cut Eugeo's head off with no problem. And rape is fine too? Seems to invalidate the entire premise of this world.

I also hate the "you get stronger by imagining you're stronger." It's the same tired "power of friendship" bs that lets you power up to ridiculous levels whenever it's needed.Ā 

People said this was the well written version of SAO we'd all been waiting for.... but it's not.

stories I read back in middle school contained those plot elements

Y'know, the more this excuse rattles around in my head, the more it kinda pisses me off.

For one thing, the context of target audience. Maybe I'm mistaken, but shows (and I guess also the manga too or whatever) like this seem aimed at teens, maaayyybe young adults? Maybe if doucherton here feels so beholden to write rape scenes, he should probably consider writing content that's actually aimed at mature audiences. Doesn't really need to be a part of your teen boy mary sue power fantasy. Idk. I mean, maybe somewhat forgivable if the stories he was reading were also targeted at a middle school audience, but, hard to say, not being familiar with the works and how those may have been written in comparison. (and, admittedly, ben did sorta cover this point as well)

Which isn't to say these audiences can't handle the subject. It can be done well, open up a dialogue, etc. But I don't think I'd consider what this guy writes to be "done well." Bringing me to the second point that pisses me off. If you've just absolutely gotta write this shit into everything you do, do some fuckin research. Stop using it as a simple plot device to allow the hero to play the hero. Fuckwad here seems to be thinking "Rape is a villainous act, therefore, every one of my villains must be a rapist." And I seriously can't imagine the dude giving any thought or consideration what so ever to the psychological elements at play here, especially with the victims. Just an easy "Oh, you saved me! My hero! Everything will always be alright as long as you're around." Insert "I'm so in love with him" inner monologue.

Meh. Mostly just thinking fuck that guy, for seeming to have no respect for the complexities of the subject, including any social or cultural influences, and just uses rape as a tool to demonstrate "this guy is a bad guy" cuz he seems to have nothing better to fall back on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Y'know, the more this excuse rattles around in my head, the more it kinda pisses me off.

For one thing, the context of target audience. Maybe I'm mistaken, but shows (and I guess also the manga too or whatever) like this seem aimed at teens, maaayyybe young adults? Maybe if doucherton here feels so beholden to write rape scenes, he should probably consider writing content that's actually aimed at mature audiences. Doesn't really need to be a part of your teen boy mary sue power fantasy. Idk. I mean, maybe somewhat forgivable if the stories he was reading were also targeted at a middle school audience, but, hard to say, not being familiar with the works and how those may have been written in comparison. (and, admittedly, ben did sorta cover this point as well)

Which isn't to say these audiences can't handle the subject. It can be done well, open up a dialogue, etc. But I don't think I'd consider what this guy writes to be "done well." Bringing me to the second point that pisses me off. If you've just absolutely gotta write this shit into everything you do, do some fuckin research. Stop using it as a simple plot device to allow the hero to play the hero. Fuckwad here seems to be thinking "Rape is a villainous act, therefore, every one of my villains must be a rapist." And I seriously can't imagine the dude giving any thought or consideration what so ever to the psychological elements at play here, especially with the victims. Just an easy "Oh, you saved me! My hero! Everything will always be alright as long as you're around." Insert "I'm so in love with him" inner monologue.

Meh. Mostly just thinking fuck that guy, for seeming to have no respect for the complexities of the subject, including any social or cultural influences, and just uses rape as a tool to demonstrate "this guy is a bad guy" cuz he seems to have nothing better to fall back on.

It's been 20 years since I watched wrestling, but they used to call that "cheap heat." When a heel character did something super obvious to piss off the fans like say... saying how terrible the city they were in was. It'll always get a chorus of boos but it's a pretty low effort way to do it.

That's how this guy uses rape scenes. Cheap heat for his villains.

• Thanks 3

Another example would be Araki using animal cruelty to get cheap heat for his villains. Of course, he would wise up over time, even going as far as to parody the situation (of which will be shown within the next few episodes of DiU, no less)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

Another example would be Araki using animal cruelty to get cheap heat for his villains. Of course, he would wise up over time, even going as far as to parody the situation (of which will be shown within the next few episodes of DiU, no less)

Kicking puppies, misogyny, and racism are the 3 main ways I see authors establish cheap heat for their villains.

It's just that in SAO he's done this 3 times now with the exact same setup. The two rape bros in SAO aren't even remotely believable as characters. I can't even remember their names.

12 hours ago, Daos said:

It's been 20 years since I watched wrestling, but they used to call that "cheap heat." When a heel character did something super obvious to piss off the fans like say... saying how terrible the city they were in was. It'll always get a chorus of boos but it's a pretty low effort way to do it.

That's how this guy uses rape scenes. Cheap heat for his villains.

A recent example is when Dave Ba(u)tista set up his WrestleMania feud with Triple H by attacking Ric Flair at his 70th birthday party on RAW.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 10:23 AM, elfie said:

Is helping a friend or family member by doing that trivializing the issue?

I dunno what do you think when they're posting screenshots of the girls tied up and Raios leaping into the bed?Ā  Yeah, sure sounds like they are treating the matter seriously and with respect...

On 4/9/2019 at 12:30 AM, Daos said:

I just saw the episode uncensored. It wasn't that bad you big babies. Aside from bad writing.

First of all, I thought the problem with this world is that they obey the rules too strictly and won't murder anyone? Rape guy was about to cut Eugeo's head off with no problem. And rape is fine too? Seems to invalidate the entire premise of this world.

I also hate the "you get stronger by imagining you're stronger." It's the same tired "power of friendship" bs that lets you power up to ridiculous levels whenever it's needed.Ā 

People said this was the well written version of SAO we'd all been waiting for.... but it's not.

Dude it is pretty bad.Ā  The thing is... they'reĀ about to rape them and just keeps going and going!Ā Ā 

Well, we know this is a concept in the real world, and Kirito had a speech in episode 9 about it, that there are things that aren't against the law that are bad that you still shouldn't do, and sometimes you need to go against the law to do what's right.Ā  So, there's apparently a loophole where the villains are able to "punish" people with rape (not covered by Taboo Index apparently) or execution on the spot because of their noble judicial authority or whatever it was called.Ā  We saw earlier that Vollo was also willing to bend the rules to find an excuse to have a duel with Kirito, or train on "days of rest."Ā  So, people have been bending the rules of and laws already, it would seem.Ā  Just that no one has outright violated the Taboo Index, except Alice, and now, Eugeo and Kirito.Ā  I don't think it invalidates the premise of the world is actually interesting.Ā  The AIs are acting more human if they're willing to do these sorts of things.

That isn't the part that's bad writing, though.Ā  This whole concept of people bending the rules and finding loopholes, and Kirito and Eugeo getting in trouble for doing something in the name of justice, but violating the law at the same time, could have just been these bullies escalating things to the point where we end with the same result of killing Raios and lopping off Humbert's arm in self-defense, and leave the whole rape thing out of the whole equation!Ā  Like you said, Reki uses it for cheap heel heat!

I've been poking fun at this.Ā  Basically what they're saying is... state of mind and self-confidence affects your fighting?Ā  Imagine that! :DĀ I could see the Power of Friendship type thing possibly being a factor, though.Ā  I'll keep an eye out for that as I re-watch on Toonami.

Yeah, if this is the SAO with the good writing, or best writing of SAO, at least, where was the warning about episode 10?Ā  I thought we were beyond this shit now!Ā  Not only does he bring back the rape specter, but makes it even worse than the other cases!

On 4/7/2019 at 3:25 AM, DangerMouse said:

Hmmm, yeah forgot about that, not sure why he didn't want them to see it then

I'm guessing so the girls didn't get "more traumatized" or something.Ā  I dunno.Ā  They already got nearly raped and then watched a brutal fight where they got splattered with their rapists' blood.Ā  Would seeing creepy evil floating talkingĀ head be the worst thing that happened to them that day?

On 4/9/2019 at 11:49 PM, 3ngag3 said:

JoJo has always been so over-the-top, I don't think it's meant to be taken overly seriously, anyway.Ā  I mean just the way how ridiculously and needlessly of a dick Dio was to Jonathon Joestar when they grew up together kind of set the stage.

On 4/7/2019 at 2:12 PM, PokeNirvash said:

There's a reason I made "SAO rapist stunt casting" an unofficial meme. Between Vic as the slug, Todd as Oberon, JYB as Kyoji, and Staley as Raios, I'm convinced putting an industry veteran in the role of a rapist is an SAO dub tradition.

At the very least, it makes for great outtakes, like when JYB portrayed Kyoji as a rabid Michelle Ruff fanboy who really wanted an autograph. At the absolute most, you have cases like Vic not knowing the slug was a rapist until he got in the booth to record and was too ashamed to look Cherami Leigh in the face for the rest of the day. :D

Using dark shadows to censor bloodier-than-average content on UHF stations is par for the course in Japan, so I'm guessing that was there before Crunchyroll got their mitts on it.

Chris Hackney, best known to us Toonamiites as Illumi (Killua's oldest brother) in Hunter x Hunter.

I was more referring to Vic being a sexual predator and Todd having a couple not so great stories come out about him as well, and both of them just so happened to play rapist characters.Ā  Though at least Todd seemed to be better at keeping a low profile and seemingly wasn't an asshole in general, so I don't think Todd was castĀ in a way to prank him for his behavior, since most don't seem to have known about it.

Man, JYB got really crazed and into that role!Ā  Good range by him.Ā  I remember hearing a story, I think maybe it was a Bryce Papenbrook interview or something, about after Vic did the scene, Cherami Leigh asked what the sceneĀ was and VicĀ joked "Oh, you'll see!"Ā  The story sounded innocent and funny enough at the time, not so much now, and I'm hoping that's all it was and it wasn't creepier than Bryce or whoever I heard it from made it sound, and Vic didn't try anything with Cherami.Ā  That SAO bloopers reel with all the stuff with Todd is also tainted now.

It's possible.Ā  There's a comparison video up of the rape scene but not the dismemberment, I don't think.Ā  I just don't recall it being like that when I watched it on Hulu, but I could be remembering wrong.Ā  I could check but I really don't care to see the scenes more times than I have to.Ā  But I might have to just to make sure.

Oh, I see.Ā  Thanks.Ā  I looked Chris Hackney upĀ on Behind the Voice Actors and he doesn't have many roles yet.Ā  He might be new.Ā  I saw him listed as Gohan in Super but I assume that's a fill-in for an episode or two because I was sure Gohan was still being played by Kyle Hebert.Ā  Though this also informs me that the Seven Deadly Sins second season has been dubbed, so I should go watch that soon.Ā  Oh, he played a minor character in One-Punch Man too, it looks like.

Edited by ben0119

On 4/7/2019 at 2:12 PM, PokeNirvash said:

That would be Alex von David who is in charge of SAO's dub. Someone with balls ask him why he kept doing this at a con sometime...

Or maybe just ask his Twitter, if you dare...