UnevenEdge

Sword Art Online: Alicization Episodes 9 & 10 Discussion

Just now, elfie said:

Um .... I don't think anyone in this world but Kirito is a real user......

supposedly they have "fluctlights" whatever the fuck that means

and that makes them real living people

• Like 1

Not only did they nearly get raped but got splattered by blood by their attackers as they got dismembered.  These girls are gonna be traumatized for life!

Kirito just walks by lol.

Raios glitched out and bled out.

Why can't the girls see the creepy floating head?

Just now, saito34 said:

Oh jesus

Licensing this, was a bad, decision 

I'm sorry

NONE of us wanted this show and in the current political climate, Toonami should have cut their losses, and licensed something else

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mochi said:

I'm sorry

NONE of us wanted this show and in the current political climate, Toonami should have cut their losses, and licensed something else

I'm sure they will be fine, people being mad what else is new 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mochi said:

I'm sorry

If you ask me, it wasn't THAT bad as presented on TV.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/sword-art-online-alicization/episode-10/.140585

Grade: "B+". I might have gone up to an A- since the objectionable content was minimized.

Speaking of objectionable content, time for JoJo...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Probably the same thing as Alice crossing the line

It shows up after people break the Taboo Index.  Seeing it doesn't break the Taboo Index.  They didn't get in trouble for seeing it when Alice crossed over.

1 minute ago, DangerMouse said:

So looking at these rules. LOL at Kirito clearly doing like zero homework on Project Alice before agreeing to work with them by being the user diver.

I think his ignorance/innocence is one of the fundamental conditions of the experiment.

Honestly, I think I'm more surprised he just went along with their supposed demands to be all hush-hush in the matter!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

So that whole rules situation. LOL at Kirito clearly doing like zero homework on Project Alice before agreeing to work with them by being the user diver.

They wouldn't tell him anything and he didn't remember VR world events but still decided to do it, hahaha.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mochi said:

I'm sorry

Buddy, again, you are judging the total character of a show on a single moment in a single episode.

This season is 52 episodes long.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, mochi said:

I'm sorry

Speak for yourself.  Yes it was a bad scene but the show is fine aside from this.  SAO does well so it's not accurate to say no one wanted it.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I think his ignorance/innocence is one of the fundamental conditions of the experiment.

Honestly, I think I'm more surprised he just went along with their supposed demands to be all hush-hush in the matter!

Yeah that's more what I meant, how he seemingly just went along with it

• Haha 1

So this is what I notice.  at least two prominent fans of Toonami Faithful podcast and who were given many shoutouts from them in the past ... are on Twitter vowing never to watch Toonami again after that one scene.

Because clearly What was in SAO is 100% DeMarco's fault and the sky is purple polka-dots.

The Toonami News twitter has even made multiple posts about linking to helpful phone numbers and accounts for anyone who was a victim of real sexual assault.  I mean .... can they be any more clear?

Edited by elfie
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, DBZ4ever said:

Anyone know who plays that Raios guy in these episodes? He sounded familiar but I can't place where. A google search only turns up the Japanese actor.

Pretty sure it was Steve Staley (Hitsugaya in Bleach, Banager in Gundam Unicorn, Neji in Naruto, etc.)

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, elfie said:

So this is what I notice.  at least two prominent fans of Toonami Faithful podcast and who were given many shoutouts from them in the past ... are on Twitter vowing never to watch Toonami again after that one scene.

Because clearly What was in SAO is 100% DeMarco's fault and the sky is purple polka-dots.

The Toonami News twitter has even made multiple posts about linking to helpful phone numbers and accounts for anyone who was a victim of real sexual assault.  I mean .... can they be any more clear?

Sounds like they're making asses of themselves.  Linking to sex abuse helplines over this comes off as insulting and disrespectful to victims, when it's obvious they're just throwing a fit over a TV show.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Pretty sure it was Steve Staley (Hitsugaya in Bleach, Banager in Gundam Unicorn, Neji in Naruto, etc.)

Yeah I was able to figure that out after hearing him for a while last week.

Who was Humbert?

I'll just quote myself from that other thread.  For whatever it's worth, Reki put out these statements after the episode aired in Japan.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-12-11/reki-kawahara-apologizes-to-voice-actors-for-latest-sword-art-online-episode/.140635

Sword Art Online author Reki Kawahara took to Twitter to apologize to the anime's voice actors after the latest episode of Sword Art Online: Alicization aired on Saturday night. The episode is widely considered the most graphic and violent of the series to date. The episode streamed on Crunchyroll opens with a content warning for "violence and sexual assault."

Kawahara said: "Ms. Ishihara, who plays Tiese, and Ms. Kondo, who plays Ronye, both performed a painful scene with aplomb. Thank you so much! And I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

Reina Kondo responded to Kawahara's tweet, saying, "Thank you! I think that everyone became stronger because of the experience! I will continue to work hard alongside Ronye. I'm looking forward to what happens next."

In a later tweet, Kawahara expressed further ambivalence about the episode's content and offered an explanation for why the series contains multiple instances of sexual assault. "This may be a bit late, but if you're wondering why SAO has so many of those scenes, a considerable number of light novels (although they weren't called light novels back then), epic sagas, and adventure stories I read back in middle school contained those plot elements. I would cite ÅŒgun Hakusha (Gold Spur) as a representative title. My writing was bound to that as if it were under a spell.

"These days, the spell has finally worn off. Nowadays I would prefer to express catharsis through other means. If it was an absolutely necessary scene for the story, I would write it, but I would prefer to do that in a book that isn't a light novel."

Kawahara also indicated his surprise at the anime adaptation, which he believes made the content in his novels even more extreme. "I believe that the level of grittiness in SAO is extremely average for light novels. The directing, animation, and voice acting in the anime are too powerful, which has absolutely boosted the impact [of the scenes]. Who would have thought Raios would make such an exaggerated jump...!"

~

So, Reki apologized for the scene, and said he isn't going to put rape in his stories anymore.  He said he was influenced by light novels he read in middle school that had rape in them.  I would say that someone shouldn't be reading stories with rape in them at that age, but I can't remember what grade we read To Kill a Mocking Bird in.  I think it may have been before high school.  Either way, I doubt the books Reki read were trying to impart any such wisdom on these issues the way To Kill a Mocking Bird was.  And apparently the anime made it even worse and more over-the-top?!  Why?!  Are the SAO anime staff known for making stuff so over-the-top?  Is that why some of the villains act like they came out of Deadman Wonderland?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Sounds like they're making asses of themselves.  Linking to sex abuse helplines over this comes off as insulting and disrespectful to victims, when it's obvious they're just throwing a fit over a TV show.

It sounds like they're listening to their emotions, and are just sleepy.

... wouldn't linking to hotlines be ... um ... what's the word? .... "GOOD"??

Edited by elfie