UnevenEdge

Remember when I said that topicals stopping for MHA and Boruto MIGHT be indicative of a demotion for them?

Sometimes I hate being right...

To sum it up:

SAO: Alicization promoted 1 hour to 11:30
Promised Neverland debuts at midnight
Black Clover promoted 1.5 hours to 12:30
MHA demoted 1 hour to 1 AM
Boruto rejoins Shippuden, demoted TWO hours to 1:30 AM
Shippuden promoted an hour to 2 AM
JoJo frickin' buried 1.5 hours deeper at 3 AM

Granted, don't forget what day it is, but this schedule does follow an interesting pattern: Dragon Ball Super; then Aniplex premieres; then other FUNimation premieres; then Viz premieres; then the rerun (AOT). If it's legit, that may explain why, and tell something about Toonami's relationships with its partners.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Sad 1

I hope this is a prank, because this has to be the least convenient schedule for me they ever made! I mean they put alternating BAD shows in-between the GOOD shows that I usually catch, resulting in THREE breaks I now have to deal with, and Jojo, which now FOLLOWS Hunter x Hunter, is at 3 AM??! Are you goddamn kidding me!? I gotta stay up until 3:30 AM!? No! No! I may need to end my live watching of Jojo now!!! Fuckin shit schedule my ass tight!

At least Narutard and Boring-to share the same hour at least.

13 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

demarco confirmed it's no joke

I like DeMarco, but I think it's hilarious that he doesn't even realize that statement confirms nothing.

I guess we'll only know for sure if it stays the same after midnight tonight, but announcing a new schedule change on April 1st is a really shitty thing to do, especially if it's this controversial!

I hate that JoJo is being scapegoated like this when it really hasn't dropped the ball THAT bad at 1:30 AM. Sure, it didn't do that great at Midnight or 12:30, but then again 2017 and 2018 were down years across the board.

But you can take this to the bank: this does NOT mean JoJo Part 5: Golden Wind has no chance on Toonami. I think it could end up in an earlier timeslot to boot. It DOES, however, mean JoJo is probably going on hiatus after DiU, because the dub for Golden Wind apparently isn't anywhere close to ready yet. So shoving DiU down to 3 AM hurts nothing, even if it is in effect "GXPing" it!

Remember that about this time in 2017, Gundam Unicorn got buried at 2 AM, but then in October, Gundam IBO Season 2 premiered (and remained) at 12:30 AM. Something similar could still happen with Golden Wind.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Sad 1

On the Promised Neverland thread, I mentioned that starting April 27th, there would be 3 shows on the lineup that were aired in Japan in 2019. Now they'll all be back-to-back!

DBS - 2017
SAO-A - 2019
TPN - 2019
BC - 2019

MHA - 2018
Boruto - 2017
Shippuden - 2012
HxH - 2014
JoJo - 2016
AOT - 2013

But why am I strangely worried now that Toonami may contract again once HxH and JoJo: DiU are over??

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Sad 1

It’s easy enough to blame the fact that Hulu and the other streaming services are far ahead of Toonami’s episode count, but I still have no explanation for how Season 1 of JoJo on Netflix  is apparently trending higher than a lot of their live action originals.

On Demand continues to encroach on Toonami’s shit.

15 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

it's times like this when i really really hate the nielsen ratings system that results in bullcrap schedule changes like this...

LOL, you're objectively right. Damn those Nielsen ratings! And congratulations on not complaining for cynicism's sake.

There are some good things about this reshuffling, such as Black Clover being rewarded with a higher slot, but it otherwise sucks. JoJo's at 3:00 a.m. is the most I've been slighted by a schedule change since the infamous One Piece deathslotting. The only reason I'm not more mad at it is because I have a DVR and can watch any show whenever I want. But to complain that others don't have them is classist, so I feel for people who have to miss shows because they can't stay up late.

I never assumed this would be a joke because Toonami has announced actual news on the 1st, such as acquiring Hunter × Hunter, but they probably should've held off on this one to avoid upsetting people.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

On the Promised Neverland thread, I mentioned that starting April 27th, there would be 3 shows on the lineup that were aired in Japan in 2019. Now they'll all be back-to-back!

DBS - 2017
SAO-A - 2019
TPN - 2019
BC - 2019

MHA - 2018
Boruto - 2017
Shippuden - 2012
HxH - 2014
JoJo - 2016
AOT - 2013

But why am I strangely worried now that Toonami may contract again once HxH and JoJo: DiU are over??

You’re not strangely worried, it really looks like they are setting up to ditch the 3am hour. JoJo ends then HxH can do a double premiere finale the very next week, then they can cut off the 3am hour. It doesn’t look like they want to keep premiering shows at 3am.

I fully expect AoT to push SAO to 12:30 and leave Neverland at midnight unless TPN doesn’t do well initially. Clover and MHA take the 1am hour, Naruto and son get the 2am hour, HxH and JoJo finish out in the 3am hour.

They seem to have themes going after Super.

SAO, TPN, BC - mainly midieval or gothic style fantasy, AoT fits right in here

TPN, BC, MHA, Boruto - current JUMP

MHA, Boruto - school shounen

Boruto, Shippuden - Naruto hour

Shippuden, HxH, JoJo - older JUMP

By far the oddest transitions will be from DBS into SAO and also from JoJo into Titan reruns. The rest flows remarkably well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Blatch said:

JoJo's at 3:00 a.m. is the most I've been slighted by a schedule change since the infamous One Piece deathslotting.

I'll admit, it's an understandably rageworthy decision, but still, that's nothing compared to Geass and Moribito premieres getting pushed to the graveyard slot while comedy reruns replaced most of the rest of the anime in 2008 - the week before Toonami's first cancellation, no less!

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'll admit, it's an understandably rageworthy decision, but still, that's nothing compared to Geass and Moribito premieres getting pushed to the graveyard slot while comedy reruns replaced most of the rest of the anime in 2008 - the week before Toonami's first cancellation, no less!

Also this.  That was a block ready to have the plug pulled.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jman said:

I’ll sit here and hope Stardust Crusaders hits Netflix next month.  They have a bonafide hit and I would hate stupid Toonami contracts to stall the momentum.

It's Netflix. They don't release episodes serially, they dump 'em on all at once, whether we're talking about an original or not. By my math, Toonami loses the rights to Stardust Crusaders in July, so it should impact Netflix then.

But how do you even KNOW JoJo parts 1 & 2 have been a "bonafide hit" on Netflix? They don't release their viewer information.

Edited by OwlChemist81

6 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It's Netflix. They don't release episodes serially, they dump 'em on all at once, whether we're talking about an original or not. By my math, Toonami loses the rights to Stardust Crusaders in July, so it should impact Netflix then.

But how do you even KNOW JoJo parts 1 & 2 have been a "bonafide hit" on Netflix? They don't release their viewer information.

They listed it on their front page as a trending show and it’s getting a metric ton of social media traffic.  When it’s in the Top Viewed section next to freaking INFINITY WAR, something is up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You know what perplexes me more about all this? DeMarco doesn't use the word ratings in his tweet reply. He uses "performance metrics". Bro that's vague as shit. If I wanted to study metrics, I'd move to Canada or Europe!

How many episodes are left in this Jojo arc?  I am this close to dropping the whole series.

Edited by elfie

12 minutes ago, StarPanda said:

Dam jojo ouch

Naruto will never leave toonami, I guess somehow it does well enough...believe it

I dont really care for boruto anymore untill we get to that one episode, I kind of lost interest in black clover 

Top of the line up looks good to me 

Not "believe it"--that's GEICO's thing now. Naruto and Boruto say "You know!"

• Haha 1

All that being said, I’m gonna laugh so hard if JoJo gets booted off Toonami...and Stardust Crusaders becomes a massive hit for Netflix aka Orange is the New Black or something.

DeMarco might finally have that nervous breakdown.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

All that being said, I’m gonna laugh so hard if JoJo gets booted off Toonami...and Stardust Crusaders becomes a massive hit for Netflix aka Orange is the New Black or something.

DeMarco might finally have that nervous breakdown.

If Jojo gets booted off Toonami before its mere 10 remaining weeks are out, it'll be a sorrid, horrible move on Toonami's part that they will either own up to or blame someone else for.  Who in the hell thinks 3 AM is a great spot for a premiere!?

1 minute ago, elfie said:

If Jojo gets booted off Toonami before its mere 10 remaining weeks are out, it'll be a sorrid, horrible move on Toonami's part that they will either own up to or blame someone else for.  Who in the hell thinks 3 AM is a great spot for a premiere!?

They'll blame the viewers for not watching it even though I've stated many times before that thanks to the Nielsen system it's like none of us are watching toonami at all

27 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

They'll blame the viewers for not watching it even though I've stated many times before that thanks to the Nielsen system it's like none of us are watching toonami at all

... so Adult Swim, one of the few last vestiges of cable networks that DOESN'T behave like a corporate sell-out, is now blaming people for not watching a show that they shoved into a graveyard slot!? What is this!?  CN!?  I thought they were DONE doing that shit!

• Confused 1

how anyone can look at the nielsen ratings and say "Yeah These totally justify crapping on Jojo" is beyond me

everyone knows that due to the way that system works it's practically the electoral college of television  The Voices of The Few Determine  everything or in this case channel surfing grandpa's who fell asleep in the middle of family guy

Edited by CountFrylock

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Don't think that's what he meant. DiU will likely finish, but our chances of getting Golden Wind just dropped tremendously.

Also, not counting Beware the Buttman, I believe this will actually be the first time they've dared to air a DUB PREMIERE at 3 AM!

Ah yes, Beware the Batfleck.  At least this isn’t Y7.  But yeah, that’s what I meant.  Golden Wind probably won’t air unless it is to spite Netflix.

And JoJo, despite its meme status, has never been huge for Toonami.  If it suddenly does for Netflix, that is rather damning.

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

DiU will likely finish, but our chances of getting Golden Wind just dropped tremendously.

Also, not counting Beware the Buttman, I believe this will actually be the first time they've dared to air a DUB PREMIERE at 3 AM!

I don't think that has anything to do with the chances of getting Golden Wind. We have no solid idea of why this happened. This is after Turner said they don't care about ratings as much anymore, and DeMarco cited "performance metrics" instead. ... is that the new golden rule we should go by now?? Is that the Youtube Algorithm of Toonami!?

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 9:13 AM, elfie said:

FUCK HIM.

Fuck the dude that's giving us this block in the first place??

Ohhh...kay...

I mean, it may not be perfect, but if you'd rather watch Alien News Desk instead of Dragon Ball Super at 11 PM on Saturday nights and then go to bed alrighty then...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, Jman said:

Ah yes, Beware the Batfleck.  At least this isn’t Y7.  But yeah, that’s what I meant.  Golden Wind probably won’t air unless it is to spite Netflix.

And JoJo, despite its meme status, has never been huge for Toonami.  If it suddenly does for Netflix, that is rather damning.

Something doing great on something like Netflix doesn't really say much other than some shows are better if they can be binged. That's all it really is.