UnevenEdge

Spring 2019

Hidden

Ace of Diamond Act II, baby!  OPM 2, Titan, Stray Dogs, too.  The Fruits Basket reboot will probably be good.  Not seeing much of interest in the new offerings yet, but descriptions are usually inadequate indicators for me.

Either way, it's all good.  If there's not much new to follow, I still have a huge pile of shame in a box I need to dig into.

Fruits Basket

Carole & Tuesday - heard about this the other day. this might be the 3rd music anime ill have seen and it sounds super good. seems like a nice change of pace too.

Shoumetsu Toshi

Sarazanmai - ikuhara. enough said.

Hitoribocchi

Joshikausei cause i want to see how nice it looks in color.

Maybe:

Fairy Gone is a huge maybe. might not even try it since its another recycled plot. could be at my limit for these types.

Ao-chan - could be mindless fun but depends on how funny it is.

Kono Yo no Hate

Gunjou no Magmel*

Kono Oto Tomare*

Jimoto ga Japan* - when a weeb goes to japan.

RobiHachi*

Yatogame-chan*

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jackiemarie90 said:

People are saying One Punch season 2 might be bad because they switch studios. But I hope not, it's one of my favs and I'm looking forward to it.

The director of the first season, Shingo Natsume is really good and has a good eye for talent and attention to detail, he co-directed Space Dandy too and he's not directing this season =/ That doesn't necessarily mean Season 2 will be bad though, anime fans are always dramatic and wanna make snap judgements based on trailers with 15 seconds of actual footage, take whatever the hyped seasonal crowd says with a grain of salt, positive or negative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

for sure fruits basket. idk about the rest havent had a chance to properly go thru the list. 

edit: ok i went thru the list. ah theres quite a few im interested in. i doubt ill end up watching all as airing. i might just wait till some are finished but so far theyre:

• Carole & Tuesday
  • Kimetsu no Yaiba
  • Shoumetsu Toshi
  • Midara na Ao-chan wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
  • Senryuu Shoujo
  • Hitoribocchi no ○○ Seikatsu
  • Sarazanmai
  • Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin
  • Joshikausei
Edited by Cidz
added too many animes dammit lol
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

I think I'm gonna pick up Sarazanmai too. The PV popped up in my YouTube recs last night and from the thumbnail I thought it was some kind of magical boy show and it is, but they turn into kappas.

and the animation is a ton better than I expected!

On 4/6/2019 at 6:29 PM, QueenoftheDorks said:

I think I'm gonna pick up Sarazanmai too. The PV popped up in my YouTube recs last night and from the thumbnail I thought it was some kind of magical boy show and it is, but they turn into kappas.

I'm considering avoiding it

I usually love Ikuhara but there was apparently a pre-screening and I kinda don't think I'm emotionally ready for what the pre-screening viewers have been allowed to leak about what happens in it

26 minutes ago, mochi said:

I'm considering avoiding it

I usually love Ikuhara but there was apparently a pre-screening and I kinda don't think I'm emotionally ready for what the pre-screening viewers have been allowed to leak about what happens in it

Are you afraid they're not gonna pull through with the content you want to see?

34 minutes ago, elfie said:

Are you afraid they're not gonna pull through with the content you want to see?

slightly

Ikuhara does not write anything but Yuri, so I find it exceptionally hard to belive he's writing a Yaoi series without there being some kind of catch

Everything new I’ve seen so far has been disappointing. I still need to watch We Never Learn and am waiting for Sarazanmai and Carol & Tuesday, but the best shows I’m finding are the on-going ones like Dororo and JoJo.

What The Hell are You Doing Here, Sensei!  was good but it’s also ecchi so that’s the main reason why I would enjoy it.

Edited by imchapp.in

Sarazanmai is amazing

Extreme spoilers:

Spoiler

and it's every bit as gay as I expect from an Ikuhara work...or debateably trans maybe?

episode one begins with Kazuki, one of the 3 Kappa boys going on about how he loves the idol girl Sara

b0daa4904c9011e2f5fb8c76df362a5015507606

and saying he has a "special connection with her"

then it cuts to one of the other boys meeting Sara and chasing her down angrily because the selfie she took has a picture of him breaking into a car in it

then he runs into Kazu and they accidentally break a Kappa statue and black out, they wake up the next day acting like Kappas

they return to the broken statue and discover there's now a REAL Kappa there, the third boy joins them at this point, 

the Kapppa procedes to bite their butts and lick their prostates, and then swallow them, later shitting them out as Kappas

he tells them they have to eat the prostates of "Zombies" to become Human again, and then takes them to a giant naked man with pendulous testicles with a cardboard box on his face, the 3 Kappa boys sing a musical number (this series' Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku presumably)

and then join hands and turn into a set of Anal beads and fly into the Giant man's ass, plucking out his prostate, revealing him to be a man who's "hidden secret" is that he's a nudist

the Kappa then tells them to feed him the Man's prostate, so they do, in doing so, Kazu reveals he is a crossdresser.....and the Sara that the other boy chased down the other day, was him, in drag

they then wake up in the alleyway as humans again

Edited by mochi

Although that could well be the origin of the lore, shirikodama aren't prostates, as every human supposedly has one.

There's potential in this series, but I suspect I won't last more than about 5 episodes.  Ikuhara's work since Utena reminds me too much of NisiOisin and Masaaki Yuasa's stuff - too dense and frenetic and exhausting to watch.

1 hour ago, elfie said:

... k where did this thing about shirikodama come from? Apparently it's widely known in Japanese folklore, but the Wikipedia article on kappas tells you nothing about it, and I never knew it from any other source!

But yeah, serious contender for anime of the season!

there's a legend that Kappas reach up your ass pull out your internal organs and eat them

from what I gather shirikodama is just Ikuhara adding prostate milking symbolism to that legend

3 hours ago, elfie said:

the Wikipedia article on kappas tells you nothing about it

Don't know how you missed it.

"They are sometimes said to take their victims for the purpose of drinking their blood, eating their livers, or gaining power by taking their shirikodama (尻子玉), a mythical ball said to contain the soul, which is located inside the anus.[12][17][18]"

It was also brought up in episode 9 of GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018), so no, Ikuhara didn't make it up.

The good news is that if they're coming after your shirikodama, you can repel them by farting at them. :)

YoshitoshiKappaControl.jpg

• Like 1

Well, from the previews I saw I didn't think I was going to like Carole & Tuesday, but it looks like it's going to be pretty good after all.  Too bad they didn't get Yoko Kanno on board for the music.  Still, they got Takahiro Sakurai and Hiroshi Kamiya (who are both in Ace of Diamond too!), so I'm a happy camper.

16 hours ago, stilgar said:

Yes, because I'm the only one here basing my opinion on a show off of one episode. 

I've seen Ikuhara's other works and while they all have mildly sad endings, they're all incredible animes

he's nothing if not consistent

you know what you're getting with him

1. gay

2. mindfuck

3. a bitter sweet ending, but with a lean towards sweetness

am i the only one who fell a lot more in love with carole & tuesday after ep 2? im loving the aesthetic of it all, and the character interactions are pretty fun.

might make a thread for it if im not lazy. lots of nice small things happening in this one.

• Like 1