UnevenEdge

Anime in 2018 vs Anime in 2019

3ngag3

2018: Rape is bad! They shouldn't be showing rape!

2019: Accusing someone of rape is bad! They shouldn't be showing false rape accusations!

(I am, of course referring to the Shield Hero anime that recently premiered.)

Edited by 3ngag3

Goblin Slayer was only a couple months apart too. That was the same time it took to go from lewding blood cells to lewding Bowser. It's hard to gauge how 2019 will turn out when 2018 was just a week ago. 

But as for the controversy, it seems like it's just ANN's crusade. Everyone else is either going to ignore Shield Hero or have terminal shit taste and swallow it up because they enjoyed Isekai no Smart Phone or SAO. Sure, it's a testament to how bad anime has been recently at being able to handle the subject of rape without treating it like its window-dressing to place larger stakes on the cast, but ANN is the same site that tried to manufacture a controversy on Bunny Girl Sempai being canceled because Sakuta asks his friend's abrasive girlfriend if it's her time-of-the-month. They just struck gold with Goblin Slayer because Crunchyroll got in hot water for accidentally labeling it as teen-friendly when the first episode has brutal dismemberment and graphic rape.

And to be honest, Goblin Slayer's worries went away as the series went on and it became a much mellower series. Not that the beginning's rape didn't feel exploitative, but it was far more sobering to see that they didn't end up going overboard on the edge or cater to people who only wanted to watch it for the rape. People bitched about it getting slice-of-life episodes, but it was actually nice to know GS wasn't going to bend over to make everything edge, edge, edge. If it were written by the braindead fans, they would've wanted every episode to have a reference to rape or to have GS sass the girls by mentioning rape, but the series knew better to have some restraint and create a dark yet engaging experience in how the other characters interact with GS

Edited by imchapp.in
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Rape or no rape, Shield Hero is definitely a show that screams "I won't watch this unless Toonami airs it", like SAO before it.

Odds are I wouldn’t have cared about Shield Hero had the moral guardians not bitched about it being problematic.  At least Goblin Slayer has all those Doom memes draw me in.  And what I got was fairly enjoyable. 

Edited by Jman
  • D'oh 1

werent the GS complaints about how it was trying too hard with the 6 min in rape scene like chaps noted? at least i felt like the majority of them were. but maybe that was just here..elsewhere i dunno. i dont visit ANN so maybe i missed out.

surprising to hear the edginess didnt continue throughout, though. i remember a bunch of fans hyping up future rape scenes. lul.

It wasn't just that, they gave it a PG rating on Crunchyroll. It turns out goblin rape is not in fact... PG. Plus it starts out with a very happy go lucky group of adventurers so you would assume from the first few minutes that it was PG.

We kind of write it off as hey.. it's anime.. what did you expect? But if you took your kid to see a PG movie and it turned out to be an R rated rape/ slaughterfest you can see why some people were miffed.

Spoiler

Meat Shields were fairly edgy, but they glossed over that super fast. The rest was almost all just your standard fantasy gore.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stilgar said:

Is that what you think you did?

Moreso than you.

Feel free to enjoy Goblin Slayer for it's shock factor first episode followed by one dimensional characters and lifeless lead surrounded by bitches with big tits, I won't tell you you're "wrong" for it.

12 hours ago, scope said:

See SJWs fuckin the game up. Goblin Slayer shouldn't be hated because of the rape, it should be hated because it's a worthless pile of edgelord bullshit with no depth or maturity whatsoever.

I've come to the conclusion that Goblin Slayer is a very bad parody.

It's a comedy so dedicated to parodying cliches that the author forgot to include anything beyond the cliches. The joke is that everything is generic! Punchlines be damned!

Edited by naraku360
  • Haha 1

I always figured the joke was that the one-dimensional “badass” is exactly as antisocial and ignorant of social cues as you would think he is.  Which is why everyone thinks he’s a damn weirdo.

Look at me.  I’m defending Shield Hero because the dub got delayed and people are furious at the idea it might mean censorship when I think isekai are beyond played out (literally the only isekai I want to see at this point is a Rayearth remake and that’s because that show is CLAMP literally throwing everything at the wall to make “Anime: The Anime”), because the alternative is letting assholes determine what’s “problematic.”

9 hours ago, scope said:

Moreso than you.

Feel free to enjoy Goblin Slayer for it's shock factor first episode followed by one dimensional characters and lifeless lead surrounded by bitches with big tits, I won't tell you you're "wrong" for it.

How many episodes did you actually watch? 

I mean if you're expecting a wealth of character development in a show where not a single character has an actual name, then you probably came to the show for the wrong thing.

If you came to the show for a D&D style fantasy world where a guy thinks up creative ways to slaughter Goblins while not having any overpowered abilities, then you've come to the right place.

If you're looking for a fantasy anime that has characters that aren't quite so static I would recommend Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. It's Isekai but they don't remember their old world so it plays out similar to a regular fantasy anime. It has goblins but not the raping kind.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

I always figured the joke was that the one-dimensional “badass” is exactly as antisocial and ignorant of social cues as you would think he is.  Which is why everyone thinks he’s a damn weirdo.

Look at me.  I’m defending Shield Hero because the dub got delayed and people are furious at the idea it might mean censorship when I think isekai are beyond played out (literally the only isekai I want to see at this point is a Rayearth remake and that’s because that show is CLAMP literally throwing everything at the wall to make “Anime: The Anime”), because the alternative is letting assholes determine what’s “problematic.”

I mean, the format of Goblin Slayer fundamentally doesn't work narratively.

You have characters deliberately designed to be as generic as possible, so dramatic weight is greatly reduced on premise alonr. They've made it a struggle to have much interest or growth or emotion from the start, especially when they frequently remind you that it's literally a game.

On the other hand, they play it so straight within the context of everything is super generic that any humor falls flat, to the point where it's borderline unnoticeable.

Homestly, partway through GS almost does something interesting and completely squanders it immediately, which shows just how impotent it is.

Spoiler for the midpoint, if anyone actually cares:

Spoiler

Specigically, they did an actually pretty solid job of selling Goblin Slayer's death.

But after a pretty extreme sequence that was surprisingly well directed, he's been revived off screen. There's no struggle for the main characters to deal with to get his body to the priestess. It would have been a significantly better direction to show the characters barely making it out, either without salvaging the body or being too late for a ressurection, then showing cliches deal with sincere emotion and having to continue his goal without him the support of an expert.

But nope, revive him instantly without even showing.

They even have him immediately talking to the priestess who for some unknown reason opts to tell him about how she got raped into blindness by goblins, while so tactfully being designed to have her nipples drawning into the ouling of her blouse, followed by her not-so lowkey yuribait in a bath scene the next scene. Sure, let's follow that death scene up with actual nothing of coincidence AND draw a blatant sexualization of a person as she talks about being raped in the same scene.

In conclusion, Goblin Slayer is fucking trash. Doesn't really count as isekai, so I don't know exactly why it's being compared to Shoeld Hero other than being kinda lame fantasy animu.

Shield Hero could have potential with him being the worst hero that nobody wants to be around. Except he gets a hot companion who likes him instantly without reason and I hear he becomes OP anyway.

Re:Zero is basically the only one of these that doesn't suck outright.

Edited by naraku360
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, scope said:

Moreso than you.

Never said you were wrong for not enjoying it. I said you were wrong because you were factually wrong about the show and it's content.

Spoiler

He doesn't actually die. They make it clear in the Manga that the resurrection spell just heals you when you're on the edge of death. They somehow borked that in the anime. I had to look it up because I was like... wait... you can just revive anyone that dies in this world?

Sword Maiden was the worst character. I felt like she only existed so the author could be like "Oh you thought cowgirl had a massive rack?" and her instantly joining the harem and being so thirsty was.... out of place for this. But she only has about 3 minutes of screen time and doesn't travel with them so it's not a huge issue.

All the other characters were fine, and you even get a special cameo from Guts and Lancer.

Edited by Daos

49 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

So does anyone know if the first proper episode was different from the Crunchyroll preview? I know it didn't have OP or ED but were there any scenes missing?

That should be a no, only the OP and ED should be missing.

• Like 1

It's funny how the cons of Dogshit Slayer have been articulated in this thread yet none coming to its defense have argued a single point as to convince anyone this show is worthwhile. Yes, I get it's just mindless entertainment with no character development whatsoever that's exactly why I'm saying this show sucks, there are dozens of seasonal muck nowadays that manage to achieve this level of mediocrity, maybe some fans have just begun to accept it as par for the course.

• Like 1

Priestess actually gets a decent character arc. Which is weird to say in an anime with nameless characters.

Goblin Slayer personally evolves a bit. 

Other than that, you get to watch a Goblin slaying MacGyver do his thing. Why the massive hate boner? Not everything has to be LOTR.