UnevenEdge

New Fruits Basket anime

Satou Kazuma

16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Wow, never thought it would happen... Actually, yeah, yeah I did I suppose.  I just never thought I'd still be alive to see the day. LOL Obviously, this is awesome, but it just reminds me how sad it is that I've had the manga for years but somehow still haven't gotten around to reading it. Sigh.

Edited by Dark_Cloud_Overhead
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 12:06 AM, Dark_Cloud_Overhead said:

16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Wow, never thought it would happen... Actually, yeah, yeah I did I suppose.  I just never thought I'd still be alive to see the day. LOL Obviously, this is awesome, but it just reminds me how sad it is that I've had the manga for years but somehow still haven't gotten around to reading it. Sigh.

No time like the present to read it

On 11/30/2018 at 3:36 PM, Winter_Rain said:

Gotta say I'm loving this recent trend of older, completed manga works getting a second chance at a proper adaptation.  There are so many good manga out there.  

There was Devilman earlier in the year and now this? Anything else I'm missing?

5 hours ago, Ric said:

There was Devilman earlier in the year and now this? Anything else I'm missing?

Off the top of my head I can think of:

-JoJo

-Parasyte

-Ushio and Tora

-Karakuri Circus

-Cutie Honey

-Banana Fish

There have also been some older anime getting more modern "remakes" (Space Battleship Yamato, Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

As well as other properties that have been re-adapted or re-imagined in some form in recent years (Sailor Moon Crystal, Megalo Box/Ashita no Joe, Captain Tsubasa)

There might be more I'm missing, but those are all pretty recent, and that shows a greater willingness of the industry to tap deeper into the vault for ideas.  

Downside to this is that there's a ton of anime being produced right now, and having to fall back on remakes isn't always positive, especially if it's poorly done.  Hollywood and the TV industry seem to be clinging to this "nostalgia trend" too, unfortunately.  It's not good to be too stuck in the past and constantly trying to recapture lightning in a bottle instead of just...you know, making something new.  

Hopefully when the 2nd season of Fruits Basket gets dubbed in English, they will bring back the voice actor for Akito. He had a very low and creepy-sounding voice, which gave Yuki another reason to fear him.

Has the English dub voice actor for Akito ever voiced any other characters? Years ago, I couldn't find him listed for any other roles. He could've been casted for other antagonistic roles.

On 12/8/2018 at 8:40 PM, Winter_Rain said:

-JoJo

-Parasyte

-Ushio and Tora

-Karakuri Circus

-Cutie Honey

-Banana Fish

There have also been some older anime getting more modern "remakes" (Space Battleship Yamato, Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

As well as other properties that have been re-adapted or re-imagined in some form in recent years (Sailor Moon Crystal, Megalo Box/Ashita no Joe, Captain Tsubasa)

There might be more I'm missing, but those are all pretty recent, and that shows a greater willingness of the industry to tap deeper into the vault for ideas.  

Downside to this is that there's a ton of anime being produced right now, and having to fall back on remakes isn't always positive, especially if it's poorly done.  Hollywood and the TV industry seem to be clinging to this "nostalgia trend" too, unfortunately.  It's not good to be too stuck in the past and constantly trying to recapture lightning in a bottle instead of just...you know, making something new.  

I knew I was forgetting stuff. I didn't know for sure Banana Fish was based on an older manga but it does look like it in the artwork I've seen. Yamato 2199 I even watched myself, was good.

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2018 at 9:40 PM, Winter_Rain said:

-JoJo

-Parasyte

-Ushio and Tora

-Karakuri Circus

-Cutie Honey

-Banana Fish

7Seeds which I haven't read, but gives me hope that maybe someone will take another crack at Basara.

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, elfie said:

As someone who hasn't ever watched the original anime, I am adoring this one. It just puts a warm feeling inside.

The only difference I can tell between the two besides the animation style is that the new one is condensing alot of what happened into fewer episodes and letting you see more of their dark side.

They never really let Shigure get too serious in the first one .... now Im thinking he could be a villain 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Vamped said:

The only difference I can tell between the two besides the animation style is that the new one is condensing alot of what happened into fewer episodes and letting you see more of their dark side.

There's a lot of darker stuff in the manga. I get why the first series toned it down some because it wasn't a full adaption.

12 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

There's a lot of darker stuff in the manga. I get why the first series toned it down some because it wasn't a full adaption.

Its too late for me to read it now. Im just waiting to see what all they show. It says season 1 so .... are they planning additional seasons? 

1 hour ago, Vamped said:

Its too late for me to read it now. Im just waiting to see what all they show. It says season 1 so .... are they planning additional seasons? 

I don't know how it's going to break down. They still haven't announced how many episodes it's going to be so I don't know if it's just going to continuously run or if it will do like a break after 26. It's already been announced that it's going to fully adapt the manga. There are 23 volumes and they're only up to part of volume 4 as of this last episode so they could probably easily get at least 52 episodes out of it.

9 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

I don't know how it's going to break down. They still haven't announced how many episodes it's going to be so I don't know if it's just going to continuously run or if it will do like a break after 26. It's already been announced that it's going to fully adapt the manga. There are 23 volumes and they're only up to part of volume 4 as of this last episode so they could probably easily get at least 52 episodes out of it.

tenor.gif?itemid=5920940

• Like 2

With my hectic schedule both on and offline, I still have yet to see the remake in its entirety. However, I did manage to watch a few clips on YouTube.

I am so glad that their names are being properly pronounced in the dub, this time around. That was my only complaint about the original 2001 dub.

Meanwhile, I am slightly disappointed that Akito Sohma has been changed  back into a woman. Even though Akito is a woman in the Manga, I miss listening to Chad Cline's depiction of the character.

Chad voicing Akito was chilling, especially when saying he had to "re-educate" Yuki. Creepiness.

18 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

With my hectic schedule both on and offline, I still have yet to see the remake in its entirety. However, I did manage to watch a few clips on YouTube.

Chad voicing Akito was chilling, especially when saying he had to "re-educate" Yuki. Creepiness.

You're like my friend I'm waiting to watch this with.  So I haven't finished the new yet either.

18 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

yeeeeeessss so creepy.  It was perfect.

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 8:35 PM, Vela said:

You're like my friend I'm waiting to watch this with.  So I haven't finished the new yet either.

yeeeeeessss so creepy.  It was perfect.

If I ever have my collection of short stories published and released on audiobook, I wouldn't mind having Chad Cline be a narrator for at least1 of my short stories. ;)

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 7:38 PM, QueenoftheDorks said:

i actually just read that there will be 64ish episodes? havent confirmed that comment though.

also. peak fruits basket.

44LeliP.png

oh and lets not forget this one since i just caught up:

Spoiler

TMhBmFT.png

Edited by Hidden
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Hidden said:

i actually just read that there will be 64ish episodes? havent confirmed that comment though.

also. peak fruits basket.

44LeliP.png

oh and lets not forget this one since i just caught up:

Reveal hidden contents

TMhBmFT.png

It did not disappoint. I lost my shit with Ayame when I watched it xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To me Ouran was my first shojo.  And I liked it despite my ambivalence of shojo because it was really a comedy above anything else. There just happened to be romance in it, and even the romance isn't exactly a strong element considering that in the anime no one in the host club really falls in love, or at least confirms it out loud.

But following this iteration of Fruits Basket makes me better understand where all the fans in 2008 were coming from. You look past the shojo stereotypes and see that these are very deep characters that are very likeable and who you appreciate for who they are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

Speaking of Ouran... I wouldn't be made if we got a proper adaptation of it next. Or even His and Her Circumstances... or HanaKimi. I mean the live action HanaKimis were great but still.

I would be all for that, But it has to be as hilarious as the previous anime if not moreso!

...but you know fans will be up in arms when a dub comes ,what with what happened with Vic and all.

That reminds me: a live-action series of Ouran was produced and aired, clearly based more on the anime than the manga.  I heard it was bad.

Edited by elfie