UnevenEdge

when did anime get politcal ?

ghostrek

7 hours ago, ghostrek said:

um when did Crunchyroll  make there own anime  why is so political  what  even in anime watch this get away from that shit

When anime got more popular in general. More celebrities are outing themselves that they're anime fans.  More of the fans who grew up watching Toonami in the late 90's now create shows of their own and the influence has seeped into the Western language, and people aren't very kind to that.

Also, shouldn't this be in the old High Guardian Spice thread made several days ago?

9 hours ago, ghostrek said:

um when did Crunchyroll  make there own anime  why is so political  what  even in anime watch this get away from that shit

I love that conservadouches are so easily identifiable that you can avoid them on sight. Myself and most of my friends don't give a shit about Guardian Spice or whatever it's called, but I'm starting to want it to last several seasons just because of all the bitching. Also, why is this shit over 16 minutes? You can squash what they're really angry about into a few sentences. "An animated show by SJWs probably won't have panty shots of underage female characters. RAAAAGGGGE!"

• Like 2

I always assume the people who get mad about slash shipping or the amount of cross dressers in anime are conservatives. 

Also I'm not gonna watch the video, but is that dude in the thumbnail the conservative because he looks like the type of guy who wants to explain why Sasuke should actually be the hokage instead of Naruto.

Edited by QueenoftheDorks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Before the existence of Japanese animation, there were Japanese comic strips.

Dating back to the 1920's and '30s, Japan had political cartoons about us, when we made political cartoons about them. During that time, there was World War I and II.

Mecha Manga and Anime were always political and still are today.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

Before the existence of Japanese animation, there were Japanese comic strips.

Dating back to the 1920's and '30s, Japan had political cartoons about us, when we made political cartoons about them. During that time, there was World War I and II.

Mecha Manga and Anime were always political and still are today.

ok  good ponit

Edited by ghostrek
  • Like 1

Even though most of what currently airs on Adult Swim's Toonami block doesn't consist of Mecha Anime, have you noticed that most of the Anime on the block happened to be war themed? I noticed this a while ago.

The block is very political. That's not including the music videos airing, during Toonami's commercial breaks.

• Like 1

All fictional works are inherently political. This is because they were shaped by the general views of the people who made them. It's impossible for something to not be political unless its creator had no opinions on anything to begin with, which is virtually impossible.

Regarding Japan, they currently have a conservative government in power. Militarism has always been a part of Japanese culture, but this has become more prominent in recent years due to the Abe administration increasing the responsibilities of the JSDF. I don't know enough about their politics to formulate a conclusion about this, but I guess more people are afraid that Japan might go full bloodthirsty and join any country in kicking off World War III.

The country definitely has certain problems regarding sexism, LGBTQ causes, and a myriad of other things, but there have been protests by activist groups challenging the bigotry. You don't hear about these much (of course, neither have I) because the anime news outlets stick to their namesake hobby, and not every single thing coming out of Japan.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1