UnevenEdge

Pop Team Epic, Episode 1

Just now, ben0119 said:

Thanks for the info, Blatch.  That explains things somewhat I guess.

Though I don't know how the repeating thing flew in Japan and how it didn't get canceled because of it.

It only ran for 12 episodes. They have a much higher tolerance for crap than we do, apparently.

We end up cancelling our shows 5 episodes in and replacing them if they don't get ratings. And of course I mean the major networks, not cable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It only ran for 12 episodes. They have a much higher tolerance for crap than we do, apparently.

We end up cancelling our shows 5 episodes in and replacing them if they don't get ratings. And of course I mean the major networks, not cable.

Just 12 episodes and it was probably on in a dead hour.  I guess it explains how Shippuden never got canceled even with all the filler bullshit Pierott pulled.

Indeed.  But Toonami won't tolerate this show if it shits the bed either.  I can't see it doing well.  Surely it will get pushed back if it bombs bad enough?

Just to note, the parts you were commenting on as Final Fantasy were in fact a Chrono Trigger spoof. Chrono runs into Marle, Marle loses pendant, etc. The flashy effect was from one of the skills, Luminaire.

Otherwise, there was nothing redeemable about this. I'm gonna take the 30 minute break every week on this one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rpgamer said:

Just to note, the parts you were commenting on as Final Fantasy were in fact a Chrono Trigger spoof. Chrono runs into Marle, Marle loses pendant, etc. The flashy effect was from one of the skills, Luminaire.

Otherwise, there was nothing redeemable about this. I'm gonna take the 30 minute break every week on this one.

That was one of the things that made me instantly hate this show. The fact that they did a Chrono trigger parody and then did NOTHING funny with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Right. Definitely saw that too, don't know why I didn't mention it also.

But I thought there was a bit of Final Fantasy in there as well with those "FF7 blue" looking text box/menus and perhaps the original damage limit thing. At least that's what the color looked like to me at the time, though I was looking back and forth between the TV and PC which doesn't help with this show lol.

Edited by DangerMouse

I mean, I get it. Robot Chicken basically operates on the same principle of "here's an idea for a funny gag, but it's not enough to warrant more than a few seconds of thought, so we'll just make a show of nothing but short gags." Blended with a Tim & Eric et al sense of "this is so not funny that it's supposed to be funny." It's almost an [as]-inspired show in itself.

But it doesn't belong anywhere on Toonami. As bad as some of their picks have been, at least they've kept the vibe somewhat consistent. This is like going to my typical sushi place and finding they've installed a big screen tv for sports broadcasts. Not what I'm here to enjoy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Right. Definitely saw that too, don't know why I didn't mention it also.

But I thought there was a bit of Final Fantasy in there as well with those "FF7 blue" looking text box/menus and perhaps the original damage limit thing. At least that's what the color looked like to me at the time, though I was looking back and forth between the TV and PC which doesn't help with this show lol.

Chrono Trigger was also made by Square just like FF, so a lot of the mechanics and concepts are the same.

Robot Chicken is actually funny though. It has jokes with punchlines. Punchlines are the funny part of the joke. PTE is a bunch of jokes without punchlines. That's apparently why it's supposed to be funny in some sort of avant garde way but I don't see how anyone gets anything more than mild amusement out of any of this.

I believe the endless 8 arc of Haruhi aired in Japan as well.. 8 episodes of the exact same episode back to back. The Japanese do indeed have insane tolerance for weird stuff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Daos said:

Chrono Trigger was also made by Square just like FF, so a lot of the mechanics and concepts are the same.

Yup, I know. :)

Yeah, only a couple of times was it funny, I definitely expected more from this, like what you pointed out.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

Humor like this which thrives on being off beat really works best in small increments, 30 second spots, or 1 minute skits.

Too long and you get Tim and Eric Awesome Show, as opposed to Tim and Eric’s usually very funny short and ad work.  It’s too much.

10 hours ago, rpgamer said:

I mean, I get it. Robot Chicken basically operates on the same principle of "here's an idea for a funny gag, but it's not enough to warrant more than a few seconds of thought, so we'll just make a show of nothing but short gags." Blended with a Tim & Eric et al sense of "this is so not funny that it's supposed to be funny." It's almost an [as]-inspired show in itself.

But it doesn't belong anywhere on Toonami. As bad as some of their picks have been, at least they've kept the vibe somewhat consistent. This is like going to my typical sushi place and finding they've installed a big screen tv for sports broadcasts. Not what I'm here to enjoy.

More like going to a sushi place and being told to try the tacos.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daos said:

Robot Chicken is actually funny though. It has jokes with punchlines. Punchlines are the funny part of the joke. PTE is a bunch of jokes without punchlines. That's apparently why it's supposed to be funny in some sort of avant garde way but I don't see how anyone gets anything more than mild amusement out of any of this.

I don't think all of the jokes are like that. Heck, the very first segment of the entire show (as in, after the parody OP) had an obvious punchline. And then the Bob Epic Team segment at the end was a postmodern reversion of it, with infinitely worse animation. Another one I really liked was the your name. parody; it's one thing to actually reference the movie, but this show really sold it by having a faux-RADWIMPS track playing in the background. And then everything blew up.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daos said:

Yes but it's a bad sign when you wish the opening parody was the actual show instead of what you ended up getting.

So you want them to pull a Kujibiki Unbalance and actually make the parody? Keep in mind, that show actually sold better than the second season of the series (Genshiken) it spun off from.

I do think having a one-off Girldrop episode, let alone the actual show in its full length, would be great. Make it as an OVA for the next Poptepipic season.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Daos said:

That was one of the things that made me instantly hate this show. The fact that they did a Chrono trigger parody and then did NOTHING funny with it.

I dunno, I thought Popuko blatantly choosing not to give back the pendant was kinda funny.