UnevenEdge

Pop Team Epic, Episode 1

This doesn't look like Pop Team Epic.  Some idol harem shit?  Ok I guess not.

Is that Chris Sabat? xD

So far a bunch of non sequiters.  And they keep showing the title.  When is the show ever going to start?

How is this supposed to be funny... or anything, if the skits only last like 15 seconds and make no sense?

Now it's in French...

Ok I can see trying to go outside the box, but this show is completely off the rails.  They're going to nuke their ratings.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather watch the damn idol show.

Edited by ben0119
  • Haha 3

Final Fantasy, Pokemon, references in and of themselves aren't funny.  And given how obvious it was at the time that fidget spinners were a fad, they should have known how dated that joke would be by the time the episode aired.

The Bob Team Epic parts sounded exactly the same.

• Haha 1

Just now, ben0119 said:

Final Fantasy, Pokemon, references in and of themselves aren't funny.  And given how obvious it was at the time that fidget spinners were a fad, they should have known how dated that joke would be by the time the episode aired.

The Bob Team Epic parts sounded exactly the same.

At least it was better than Black Dynamite riffing on Michael Jackson in 2012...Fidget Spinners at least are SOMEWHAT popular now, though their year was 2017!

I'd like to answer a few questions about the show so far...

First of all, the Bob Epic Team (or, as the weebs call it, Bobunemimi) segments have different voices from the rest of the episode. On the other hand, these voices are the same every time they appear. In the sub, they're played by the two guys from AC-bu, the sort-of company that actually animates the segments. But for the dub, you're going to be hearing Christopher Sabat and Ian Sinclair every time.

The first episode has the "A" cast for Popuko and Pipimi voiced by two guys, while the "B" cast has a man for the former and a woman for the latter. Again, this is the same as how Japan did it. For every subsequent episode, the "A" cast is two ladies, and the "B" cast is two men.

I'm surprised the French segment didn't get more attention, but that dude is not Thomas Romain; his name might be in the credits if you feel like scouting it out, and if not, it's definitely on the ANN encyclopedia. You're gonna be seeing more of him in future episodes, and his segments have the same layout as what was done here: the first play is untranslated, but the rerun is.

Now, there are supposed to be two different EDs to go with the gendered casts, but they only played an edit of the female version, so that might be all we get. Both of them happen to be iDOLM@STER-themed, which tremendously pleases me. Additionally, Sumire Uesaka (Anastasia's seiyuu) sang in the Hoshiiro Girldrop parody, and you'll also hear her in the regular OP starting next week.

There actually is a reason for why the the show repeats. It was originally going to be an 11-minute short, but the production committee apparently booked a full-length timeslot against the staff's wishes. Bkub Okawa, who created PPTP, suggested that they dub each episode over with different voices and play it right after the original version. This might explain why the anime was delayed from the Fall 2017 season to the start of this year.

Finally, fidget spinners were more of a 2017 thing, but the anime was announced around the height of their popularity. The delay suggests that the joke involving them may have been serious, although with Bkub's irony-drenched style of humor, there's no way to really tell. I thought it was funny.

This is probably way too much for anyone to type regarding this show, and I'm really only doing it for my own enjoyment. But if it does help you, that's okay. B|

• Thanks 3