UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

Yeah I'm glad they're only 1.5 hours below the time span the block used to have before it was cut in half.

But something also tells me this is just preparation for when CN gains another hour of broadcast time, and then the block will return to being 4 hours long.

I don't know. They just made a big deal about EXPANSION.,

I suspect that Toonami will lose the 11:00 hour when CN claims its extra hour, so this expansion might be short lived. On the other hand, it won't be up against Live PD or college football.....

Not 100% true, as some West Coast games go to 1 or 2 AM ET--of course the West-Coasters have their own Toonami, which I get too, just not in HD. But most of the east coast games are over by 11 PM ET or at least Midnight.

However, Live PD is indeed on hiatus through College Football season.

I suspect that Toonami will lose the 11:00 hour when CN claims its extra hour, so this expansion might be short lived. On the other hand, it won't be up against Live PD or college football.....

We'll see. I think Toonami is expanding because comedy isn't really doing much better on either end.

Plus they made a big deal about EXPANSION

We may just shift and go later

Now that wasn't too hard, wasn't it?

At this point, they should just try keeping the schedule as stable as they can throughout the year, and maybe make another push for an 11:00 DB Super premiere, though it's not required.

They really need to. Super isn't edited to kids standards so why is it in a slot for kids to watch?

They really need to. Super isn't edited to kids standards so why is it in a slot for kids to watch?

sad part is I found super in the kids section on xfinity as well as outlaw star

2 adult swim shows in an area that's for Y7 or younger

Well this Saturday I wouldn't doubt the ratings to drop even more

You mean the marathon that just aired last Saturday, or you mean this week's lineup, which goes up against a UFC event and college football?

And then no relief on 9/16 as there's a boxing match, plus college football. Toonami simply needs to adapt to this!

There's maybe 5 good Saturdays per year with nothing going on anymore!

We assess them through our own personal feelings on them, that's how. The idea that "poor ratings = terrible show" is just complete bullshit, no matter how many examples may fit that bill.

Exactly, personal taste doesn't dictate show quality either. I'm not into Jojo or Tokyo Ghoul but I understand why other would be. That's the point of Toonami, you would hope that out of the now 10 shows (even if 2 of them are Dragonball shows) they show a week, there is something for you to enjoy.

You mean the marathon that just aired last Saturday, or you mean this week's lineup, which goes up against a UFC event and college football?

And then no relief on 9/16 as there's a boxing match, plus college football. Toonami simply needs to adapt to this!

There's maybe 5 good Saturdays per year with nothing going on anymore!

I'm talking about hurricane Irma

It hits the south on the weekend

We need the ratings.  Otherwise how can we assess shows?

You don't need ratings to access shows.  Besides, it isn't like your or any of our opinions on the matter would mean anything.  DeMarco will program Toonami how he sees fit.  He's made that abundantly clear in the past, and I don't expect that to change any time in the future.  Ratings, especially in this day and age, don't really matter for a block like Toonami.

Part of me does agree with Blatch, though.  Sometimes it would do the Toonami fandom better not to see the ratings for the block.  It leads to a lot of unnecessary fighting and trolling.  On the other hand, it's also led to a lot of decent discussions about how the block can improve.  It's a mixed bag, I guess.

I think the ratings are particularly relevant to this block, due to this block being cancelled for low ratings.

It would be quite another thing if Demarco owned the network and was like ... "Yo I don't care what the ratings are for anything, it's my network and  I'll air what I want when I want!"

Then ratings talk would all be moot.

I think the ratings are particularly relevant to this block, due to this block being cancelled for low ratings.

It would be quite another thing if Demarco owned the network and was like ... "Yo I don't care what the ratings are for anything, it's my network and  I'll air what I want when I want!"

Then ratings talk would all be moot.

The management at Adult Swim is apparently satisfied with what Toonami is getting, otherwise the block wouldn't have expanded, even if that expansion was later into the night.

If the ratings were bad enough to cancel the block, we would have seen something, anything by now.  But we haven't seen anything.  Admittedly, the possibility exists that Toonami's expansion may lead to the block losing hours on the front end, but that has yet to be determined.  DeMarco, for all his faults, loves the block, and doesn't want to see it die.  If the block really is in danger of cancellation, he'll do his damndest to keep it afloat.  That's enough for me to not be too concerned about ratings or cancellation.

Considering Naruto's Pain arc is ending in a couple weeks and the week after it finishes is when [as] loses the 8PM hour to CN... I wouldn't be surprised if there was a half-hour reduction up front.

I actually wouldn't mind that, to be completely honest.  I prefer Toonami starting later in the night.  11:30 was really pushing it for me, but 11:00 is too early. 

I'm talking about hurricane Irma

It hits the south on the weekend

True. But I daresay Toonami fans will still watch Toonami outside of evacuated areas. The city of Miami will probably be evacuated, but effects on places north of there are unknown since the storm won't actually hit until Sunday or Monday.

True. But I daresay Toonami fans will still watch Toonami outside of evacuated areas. The city of Miami will probably be evacuated, but effects on places north of there are unknown since the storm won't actually hit until Sunday or Monday.

Adult swim headquarters is under an evac order

Adult swim headquarters is under an evac order

Adult Swim headquarters is in Atlanta, nowhere near the coast. Why in the hell would they be under an evac order?

There are some cities in Georgia along the coast that may be forced to evacuate but it won't be until like Sunday night or Monday.

Stop making stuff up.

In other news, the marathon actually did pretty decent by current standards!

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/saturday-final-nationals-florida-state-alabama-abc-sets-time-college-football-opening-weekend-game-viewer-record/

MARATHON

TOTAL VIEWERS RETENTION

8:00 PM Dragon Ball Super 511,000

8:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 468,000 (91.59%)

10:30 PM Family Guy 1,033,000

11:00 PM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 838,000 (81.12%)

11:30 PM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 718,000 (85.68%)

12:00 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 709,000 (98.75%)

12:30 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 700,000 (98.73%)

1:00 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 613,000 (87.57%)

1:30 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 578,000 (94.29%)

2:00 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 521,000 (90.14%)

2:30 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 481,000 (92.32%)

3:00 AM Attack on Titan #31 455,000 (94.59%)

3:30 AM Samurai Jack S5E10 422,000 (92.75%)

TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE - 623,667

Well, it's better than the last DBZ Kai marathon, I'll give it that! Also the highest average in nearly 2 months!

MARATHON

ADULTS 18-49 RETENTION

8:00 PM Dragon Ball Super 229,000

8:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 229,000 (100.00%)

10:30 PM Family Guy 646,000

11:00 PM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 521,000 (80.65%)

11:30 PM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 469,000 (90.02%)

12:00 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 453,000 (96.59%)

12:30 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 444,000 (98.01%)

1:00 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 399,000 (89.86%)

1:30 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 374,000 (93.73%)

2:00 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 333,000 (89.04%)

2:30 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters 307,000 (92.19%)

3:00 AM Attack on Titan #31 287,000 (93.49%)

3:30 AM Samurai Jack S5E10 277,000 (96.52%)

TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE - 386,400

The whole 8-piece "bucket" of DBZ KFC got over 300K 18-49, and Attack on Titan afterward did slightly better than usual, too. The Samurai Jack finale didn't quite match Episode 9, the highest of the 3:30 AM showing, but it still achieved the 2nd highest 18-49 rating of its 3:30 AM run.

Yeah Misaka, where did you get this information from?  Checked DeMarco's Twitter and he said nothing at all related to the hurricane and flood in several days.  R U trying to make us quit this place??

It's Kai.  it will get big ratings no matter what schedule the block is, even in a marathon.

Atlanta is relatively safe.  Unlike say, Puerto Rico and southern Florida. 

What's really getting screwed with are flight plans.  The Dominican Republic is relatively undamaged but the airports grounded all flights because the hurricane is essentially a wall preventing anyone from leaving the country until tomorrow earliest.

Yeah Misaka, where did you get this information from?  Checked DeMarco's Twitter and he said nothing at all related to the hurricane and flood in several days.  R U trying to make us quit this place??

It's Kai.  it will get big ratings no matter what schedule the block is, even in a marathon.

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Mandatory-evacuation-for-Georgias-coast-443041543.html

Gov. Nathan Deal issued the evacuation Thursday for all areas east of Interstate 95, all of Chatham County and some areas west of the interstate. He also expanded a state of emergency to 30 counties.

Wanna call my bluff now?

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Mandatory-evacuation-for-Georgias-coast-443041543.html

Gov. Nathan Deal issued the evacuation Thursday for all areas east of Interstate 95, all of Chatham County and some areas west of the interstate. He also expanded a state of emergency to 30 counties.

Wanna call my bluff now?

That's Savannah.  Atlanta is well inward away from the coast.

Amazing, without Jojo soiling itself at midnight the block did well.....

Also, Atlanta is not under a mandatory evacuation order. It will likely experience heavy rain, strong winds and an elevated risk of severe (tornadic) thunderstorms and a high probability of stupid reporters on Weather channel getting annihilated on TV.

Yeah, and besides, we're talking Monday and Tuesday for all that, NOT during Toonami. I guess it's possible Turner networks could go off the air if this were 1992 but I'm willing to bet there are failsafes in place 25 years later.

Also, it bares to mention that, while Toonami and the 11:30-3:30 AM time period both declined 37% from year-to-year, the decline was only 27% in both for 18-49.

A somewhat related opinion: if JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5 gets an anime adaptation, I believe it should use that super-catchy new song "The Man" by The Killers.

You know, we're probably thinking about this too hard.

People are evacuating, but they're probably going to be in a nice place and able to watch Toonami on their TV. But I'd much rather sympathize with the people of Miami-Dade County, because this hurricane is gonna rip through there like a buzzsaw. Their safety is more valuable than stupid TV time.

Miami's gonna get FUCKED.

Got family down there too (don't know where they're headed).

My girlfriend has relatives down there as well, so I hope they got/get out safe...

We really shouldn't worry so much how the hurricane is going to affect Toonami ratings.  There's gonna be a dip, I'm sure, but everyone knows it will be from the hurricane, so Toonami shouldn't need to worry.

And to be honest, I don't really blame the evacuees if they don't feel like turning Toonami on in their hotels or at their relatives' houses.  I"m sure they have more pressing matters to deal with.

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic